PDA

View Full Version : Anime style d&d help needed

VaultHunter1994
2018-02-22, 10:25 AM
Hey everyone I’ve got tons of homebrew ideas and hoping if anyone could help me work on them
Saiyan and human with a bunch of archetypes I need help with there will be more hopefully you all could help

CharonsHelper
2018-02-22, 10:31 AM
There are already a LOT of RPG systems which are designed from the ground up to give the anime vibe.

You are really far better off at least trying out a couple of them before trying to put D&D's square peg into that round hole.

LibraryOgre
2018-02-22, 01:00 PM
So much to possibly cover. As CharonsHelper says, there's a lot of systems that do Shonen-style anime better than D&D (and I'm guessing you're looking at Shonen-style, as you're citing saiyans as something you want)... I'd add that a lot also depends on what edition of D&D you're starting with. It's easier to do with 3.x than it is with 2e, for example, but 2e has a bigger toolkit for that than Rules Cyclopedia

Faily
2018-02-22, 01:01 PM
As CharonsHelper said, there are many other systems better suited for the over-the-top shounen anime than D&D.

If you, however, absolutely insist on running with D&D/Pathfinder, for whatever reason, Spheres of Power and Mythic Adventures is certainly a place to start at least for Pathfinder.

DeTess
2018-02-22, 01:12 PM
I'd just like to add that suggesting another system might be better would be more helpful if you actually provide some examples of systems.

Edit: there was a thread last summer about non-dnd systems which might include a couple of useful alternative systems. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?530893-Favorite-non-standard-system

Drascin
2018-02-22, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I'd suggest another system. Trying to make a shonen character in D&D is only going to lead to headaches and heartbreak.

My personal recommendation would be Mutants&Masterminds. It works perfectly well for shonen anime (there's even a supplement about anime and manga style stuff), and being a d20 game it should be easier to pick up than most other suggestions I could give. Heck, I could build you a pretty reasonable Warrior Namekian on M&M in... I dunno, give me five minutes. Ten tops :smalltongue:.

Rhedyn
2018-02-22, 02:08 PM
Savage Worlds with the Superpowers companion would work well for this. I've personally found Savage Worlds to give me the same things I want from D&D even though the systems are fairly different (classless and wounds instead of HP). If M&M is too cumbersome for your group, try Savage Worlds. The core book plus this companion have a total of 259 pages.

As for doing this in D&D. Use mythic Pathfinder. Use automatic bonus progression from Pathfinder Unchained. And start at a decently high level and mythic tier.