PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magic Tools?

SangoProduction
2018-02-22, 12:54 PM
So, I find it kinda odd that there's masterwork tools, and super mega hammers of fiery monster bashing, but no magical anvils and what not...at least as far as I can tell.

The best I can find is the magic skill enhancement, but that doesn't make an alchemist's lab lighter and easier to carry around (of course, there's portable hole, but that's not the tool itself).

Outside of permanency'ing spells on to the item and Amazing Tools (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/tools-amazing-tools-of-manufacture/) (which are both expensive as all get out), are there magical tools out there that I've simply missed?

Zaq
2018-02-22, 01:11 PM
Is there anything in particular you want these magical tools to do? It shouldn't be terribly difficult to find or make rules for magical tools that just provide a numerical bonus on their particular tasks (treat it as a basic magic item providing a competence bonus to a skill).

As for making an alchemist's lab portable, I honestly think an extradimensional space like the Portable Hole you mentioned is probably what makes the most sense, but you could probably jury-rig something with Shrink Item or use the good old-fashioned Folding Boat as a baseline for homebrewing something.

As far as why there aren't a ton of printed rules for such a thing? Your guess is as good as mine, though I wouldn't be shocked if it's just because there isn't a lot of rules focus on downtime activities, which crafting tends to be. As I've said before, 3.x (and derivatives thereof) can accommodate having the camera on something other than 3-7 murderhoboes crashing around in dungeons or dungeon-like adventure zones, but the farther you take the focus away from that core idea, the less likely it is that things will make as much sense as you might hope.

Florian
2018-02-22, 02:41 PM
You´re more or less looking in the wrong place. Grab the downtime rules and build up your magic smithy, or what-have-you, as this is where you'll get the whole boni, assistance and such that will deal with profession or crafting.

Psyren
2018-02-22, 02:47 PM
As Zaq mentioned, you're being very vague on what you expect "magic tools" to be able to do. Skill bonuses? Double as weapons? Animated helpers? Easy storage? You can do all of that with the existing rules, but if you want them all (or at least several) in one item you'll have to customize at some point.

EDIT: typo

death390
2018-02-22, 03:45 PM
one thing you could try is to run a custom magic item by your dm. if you just want a portable smithy a continuous item mixing say reduce item + reduce person on a doll house or such could work. i tend to just dump everything in a portable hole/ large bag of holding/ continuous item of exdim space, myself. the problem is that Any magic item above 1st level is expensive as hell. a 1st lvl continuous item is 2k IF the damn spell last for a day/ lvl already.

a reduce person + shrink item doll house thing would cost
2k * 3 * 5 = 30k
2k * 1 * 1 *4 (because reduce person is rnd/lvl) = 8k
total cost is 38k + however nice the doll house is. portable hole is 20k, 6ftx6ftx10ft, and folds up the size of a handkerchief. it cheaper to do it that way.

mind you that doll house HAS to be a custom item because the other option is to shrink item AND PERMANENCY every item you want to carry for the smithy. then the spell says that it reduces total size by 1/4000, IE 4 size categories. even the you would have to find a way to reduce your size by 4 categories since reduce person only reduces you by 1!

i had this issue with an artificer i built. basically as soon as i got craft wondrous item it was basically make as big a bag of holding as i could then build my smithy inside. mind you if i had to do ANYTHING with a portable hold/ another bag of holding, i had to move all the stuff i needed to make the damn thing out of the bag, make the item, then pack it all back up again. i honestly like the doll-house idea better cause at least you could drop that in a BoH or portable hole and just remove it later.

another option are the extra dimensional spells to make a permanent space. rope trick/ modienkens magnificent mansion. mind you the magnificent mansion is a 7th lvl spell with 2hr/lvl, and rope trick is anchored to wherever the spell is used while having limited space (8 creatures "any" size makes no sense).

SangoProduction
2018-02-22, 03:46 PM
Honestly, I'm not certain what I was "wanting". I was just disappointed that there was actually basically nothing. Not even stuff like an anvil with permanent Lighten Object equivalent.

Psyren
2018-02-22, 08:17 PM
That just sounds like a headache. Permanent meaning permanent (i.e. dispellable) or instantaneous? How would you price the anvil, or the lightweight gear (both magical and not) it's used to make? If such objects existed, wouldn't the gear they create show up on treasure tables, and if so where? etc.

lightningcat
2018-02-23, 12:00 AM
I recall there being magical forges in Races of Stone, but there is a distinct lack of magical tools. The old Spelljammer setting also had some magical equipment for ships, although I not sure if those count.

Firest Kathon
2018-02-23, 04:50 AM
There is also the All Tools Vest (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/vest-all-tools/) if you are worried about portability.

legomaster00156
2018-02-23, 08:24 AM
As well as the Traveler's Any-Tool.

unseenmage
2018-02-24, 02:25 AM
Honestly, I'm not certain what I was "wanting". I was just disappointed that there was actually basically nothing. Not even stuff like an anvil with permanent Lighten Object equivalent.
Shrink Item spell?

As to the OP. the Traveller's Anytool is literally just that. One imagines that if the printed one cannot become an amvil then a 'greater' version could be hemebrewed.