PDA

View Full Version : Dnd 5e Warlock Patron: The Grey Serpent

A Fat Dragon
2018-02-22, 03:40 PM
Let me preface with this: The idea is not solely mine. I saw a cool picture online, and a home brew as well. Granted, the link didn’t work, so slightly demoralizing, however I decided to make my own homebrew based off of the picture, because I felt inspired to do so.

My inspiration was based off of more color-less magic, using more force damage, and having versatile magical defense. Along with that, is sort of water/sea/fog, and snakes, as you can guess.

So, leave feedback, and tell me what I should/need to change. (As a heads-up, I left out a bit of lore-fluff stuff, so inspiration with that is appreciated):

The Grey Serpent

Your patron is a mysterious deity ranging from the space between the planes, but mostly living in the deepest parts of the Plane of Water. The requests of these deities vary widely, but always take the visage of a great, gray sea snake, of innumerous size.

Expanded Spell list:
As you level up as a warlock, you unlock additional warlock spells from your patron.

1st: Fog Cloud, Absorb Elements
2nd: Dragon’s Breath, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: Tidal Wave, Sleet Storm
4th: Polymorph, Elemental Bane
5th: Geas, Bigby’s Hand

(Lvl 1) Gape of the Grey: Every time a nearby enemy dies, you can use your reaction to capture their arcane energies. When you do so, you gain a charge equal to your proficiency + 1/2 your warlock level. When you cast a spell or cantrip, you can choose to expend this charge and deal an additional amount of force damage equal to the size of the charge. You may have up to 5 charges, and these charges disappear at the end of a long rest.

(Lvl 6) Through the Break: When you choose this patron at level 1, you gain a swim speed equal to 1/2 your movement speed, and you can breath air and water. Additionally, you do not gain disadvantage on perception checks in lightly obscured areas, and you gain advantage on stealth checks while in water or fog.

(Lvl 10) Scintillating Scales: After a short rest, choose a damage type: Cold, Lightning, Fire, Poison, Acid, Thunder, Radiant, or Necrotic. You gain resistance to this type of damage. At level 14, you can choose an additional damage type.

(Lvl 14) Savant of the Ley: Once a long rest, when you are reduced to 0 hitpoints, you can choose to summon a Giant Constrictor, with a number of Temp Hp equal to 2x your warlock level. In addition, the constrictor gains the Swallow Whole trait, dealing a number of Acid Damage a round equal to your warlock level + Proficiency. The constrictor’s Attack Bonus is equal to your Spellcasting Modifier, it’s saves replaced with your Spellcasting Save, and it’s turn comes right after yours in initiative. If it kills an enemy, you are returned to 1 HP, and the snake will remain for 1 minute more. If the snake is killed, you lose this ability until you take a long rest.

(I apologize, as some of these are slightly confusing, and I also lack a google-doc or a home brewery link, like most homebrews have)

Savoc
2018-02-24, 07:30 PM
i think that this is an interesting idea, as i rarely play dnd as a PC, when i do its a warrior/rogue character, but this seems like an idea worth playing.