PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Eberron and Powerful Outsiders

Falontani
2018-02-22, 04:18 PM
Recently one of the players in my group asked me a question that stumped me about the setting that I always run. After scouring the books I can't find any references. So I ask you all:
What Demon Lords/Devil Princes exist in Eberron? If none exist in canon then which would make the most sense? Remember that it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to add nearly any demon lord or devil prince to the setting due to:

If it exists in D&D, then it has a place in Eberron.

Zombimode
2018-02-22, 05:45 PM
I don't think one should put too much of an emphasis on this quote.

Eberron already has an extensive gallery of major villains. Adding more would just muddying the water.

Andry
2018-02-22, 06:29 PM
You could just re-skin them as the Rakshasa rajahs that are bound. Or just members of the Lords of Dust.

Falontani
2018-02-22, 07:58 PM
if they are all trapped on planes not the material stuck in wars then they shouldn't muddy the waters of eberron's fantastic villains, while still being able to exist; but you are right that not everything that is out there should exist on eberron at one time.

The reason that my player was asking the question is because he has expressed his desire in becoming a Death Knight (from MM2) which requires an evil godlike power to do so. And short of releasing an overlord Eberron is a bit short on those. A rakshasa Rajah may work, I was just wondering about the demon lords/devil princes because there is little information about the occupants on the planes

torrasque666
2018-02-22, 09:03 PM
To be fair, an "evil godlike power" in Eberron can be a cleric. It can be the Silver Flame. It can be a Quori. It can be a daelkyr. a number of things could fit that description.

Omnificer
2018-02-22, 09:26 PM
So, most of the Overlords are unique to Eberron but there are a few demon princes scattered around. All in all I think there's very few canon Princes but from what I was able to find I think there's definitely room for most of them.

I'm not actually sure who all are Demon Princes, so I'm just gonna list a bunch of stuff.
Savage Tides Eberron Conversion
Mictlantecuhtli, Olangru the Bringer of Pain, and the Demogorgon are all described in the Eberron conversion for Savage Tides written by Keith Baker.
I think the important part of the conversion is in the description of the Demogorgon:
"The rakshasas are the most numerous of the fiends spawned by Khyber, but they weren’t the only children of the Dragon Below. Demogorgon was a lesser lord of the Age of Demons—less powerful than the Overlords, but more powerful than any rakshasa."

What this means to me is that there is a place for any of the Demon Princes as literal princes to the Overlords.

Other than that:
Levistus is described as being in Frostfell in the Player's Guide to Eberron.
Yeenoghu is the god of Gnolls.

This is a list of the published Overlords from Keith Baker's website, compiled by someone else on some other forum. I think they might all be unique to Eberron except Tiamat.

Bel Shalor, the Shadow in the Flame (Tamor Hills, Khorvaire) ECG page 29
Dral Khatuur, the Heart of Winter (Frostfell) female overlord Druid 25/Sorcerer 15/Frost MageFb 10 Death, ColdFb, WinterFb unpublished
Eldrantulku the Oathbreaker (unknown) NE male overlord rogue 15/sorcerer 15/mindbenderCAr 10 CorruptionBoVD, Trickery Dragon 337 pages 63, 69-70
Katashka the Gatekeeper (Lair of the Keeper, Khorvaire) LE male overlord cleric 8/wizard 8/true necromancerLM 14 Deathbound, UndeathECS DoE page 36, Dragon 337 page 70, ECG page 30
Rak Tulkhesh, the Rage of War (Khorvaire) NE male overlord fighter 15/blackguard 10/cleric 15 Destruction, War; Dragon 337 pages 65, 70; ECG page 31; Eye on Eberron, Dragon 314
Ran Iishiv the Unmaker (Korrandar, Sarlona) SoS page 12
Sakinnirot the Scar that Abides (Stormreach, Xen’drik) CoS page 156
Shudra the Fleshrender (Mel-Aqat, Xen’drik) PGtE page 155, TFoW page 127
Sul Khatesh the Keeper of Secrets (Arcanix, Khorvaire) LE female overlord wizard 36/archmage 4 Knowledge, Magic CoS 89, Dragon 337 pages 60, 68; ECG pg 31
Tiamat, the Daughter of Khyber (Pit of Five Sorrows, Argonnessen) DoE page 9
Tul Oreshka, the Truth in the Darkness (unknown) CE female overlord bard 20/wizard 10/loremaster 10 Madness, ShadowECS Dragon 337 pages 64, 70
Masvirik the Cold Sun (Haka’Torvhak, Q’Barra); Dungeon 185 (DDI)
Unnamed (Krertok Peninsula, Sarlona) SoS page 12
Unnamed (Sustrai Mor, Sarlona) SoS page 91
Unnamed (Tempest’s Isle, Lhazaar Principalities) PGtE page 99 possibly a rajah
Yad-Raghesh (The Vale of the Fallen Rajah, Argonnessen) colossal two-headed overlord DoE page 50 “dead”
The Spinner of Shadows (Xen’drik), DDO

Falontani
2018-02-22, 09:55 PM
snip

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for, do you happen to have a link to this conversion?

Omnificer
2018-02-23, 09:27 AM
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for, do you happen to have a link to this conversion?

Here is that link, it's a pdf:

https://paizo.com/dungeonissues/SavageTide/SavageTideConversion4.pdf

Afgncaap5
2018-02-24, 12:18 PM
It's worth noting that as of 4e, Asmodeus is also involved as a kind of fallen angel figure who works with other fallen angels (making his devils differ from the whole Shavarath or Radiant Idol situations), and that the "Spinner of Shadows" introduced in DDO is basically Lolth as one of the Rajahs (she was basically a way for DDO to stay Eberron focused but to also provide a way to bring in stuff from the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk.)

Adding this to Levistus' treatment suggests, to me at least, that pretty much any demon or devil from "basic" D&D canon is fair game for Eberron, it's just a matter of figuring out the best way to get it worked in. Like, if I was going to introduce Baphomet, I might make him a sinister angel of The Fury or mmmaybe The Devourer or The Keeper (or even just The Dark Six itself), or perhaps a "fallen angel" who used to speak for Balinor or The Traveler but turned away from that path. Or possibly just a Rakshasa Rajah who embodies the concepts of confusion, the wrath of beasts, and deception.