PDA

View Full Version : Grave Vs. Death Domain

Edgerunner
2018-02-22, 05:16 PM
I recently posted a thread here and on reddit about the Death Domain and the prevailing opinion was that I should go Grave Domain.

I've read the Grave Domain and it seems fine but the Death Domain seems better at lower levels and equal at higher.
Twinned Toll the Dead is downright Awesome for many lvls and there are few basic abilities from Grave, IMO, that can touch it.

Is there something I am missing if we leave the Alignment issues of Death Domain out of it???

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-23, 12:02 AM
What Alignment issues?

I'm playing a Death Cleric that's about making sure the natural cycle of death and rebirth doesn't get sidestepped.

People die, he just guides their soul to the beyond so it can be cleansed and reintroduced into the cycle later on.
His deity isn't evil. He just dislikes people that try to cheat their fate and sidestep death.
My guy is Lawful Neutral, but he's about the closest thing the party has to a moral compass, trying to steer them to help people in need where they are.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-23, 12:10 AM
What Alignment issues?

I'm playing a Death Cleric that's about making sure the natural cycle of death and rebirth doesn't get sidestepped.

People die, he just guides their soul to the beyond so it can be cleansed and reintroduced into the cycle later on.
His deity isn't evil. He just dislikes people that try to cheat their fate and sidestep death.
My guy is Lawful Neutral, but he's about the closest thing the party has to a moral compass, trying to steer them to help people in need where they are.

thats kind of the flavor of grave domain.

Anyway as to the OP, i prefer Death Domain, seeing as thats the only way to get best mileage out of my favorite damage type. You're probably not missing anything but Grave offers more for teamplay than Death but you're still a cleric so you'll be fine.

Blackbando
2018-02-23, 12:18 AM
Really, despite both relating to the dead, as domains they're pretty different.

If you want a more damage-centric domain (NOT relating to buffing other people's damage), Death's your best choice of the two.

If you want a more support-centric domain, Grave's your best bet.

Quoxis
2018-02-23, 12:23 AM
thats kind of the flavor of grave domain.

Half of the grave domain‘s features i remember have to do with cheating death - cheat a crit into a normal hit, cheat hp restoration on a dying creature into its max amount, imbue an ally with the life force of a dying creature... while the death domain is mostly about maximizing necrotic damage, iirc. Sooo...

Specter
2018-02-23, 12:29 AM
Grave is focused on support, Death is focused on, well... Killing.

Which do you prefer?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-23, 12:54 AM
Half of the grave domain‘s features i remember have to do with cheating death - cheat a crit into a normal hit, cheat hp restoration on a dying creature into its max amount, imbue an ally with the life force of a dying creature... while the death domain is mostly about maximizing necrotic damage, iirc. Sooo...

flavor not mechanics.