PDA

View Full Version : College of faith.

Illven
2018-02-22, 10:16 PM
So there's plenty of homebrew archetypes for the bard.

But what about one that seeks god/goddess from song.

Here is this bard.

College of faith

Bonus proficiency: Members of the college of the faith gain proficiency in the religion skill. If you have proficiency in religion skill you gain expertise in religion. If you already have expertise in religion you gain one expertise in a skill or tool of your choice.

God save me!: At 3rd level members of the college of faith gain the ability to protect themselves from some measure of harm. As a reaction you may use a bardic inspiration dice after you roll a save, and add that number to the save. You may use this ability after you roll, but before you know the results.

Divine secrets: At 6th level, you learn one divine spell of your choice that is of a level you can cast. In addition once per turn, when you hit a creature with a weapon attack you can make that weapon attack deal +1d8 radiant damage. (Other damage types may be appropriate for different gods) This damage increases to +2d8 at level 14

Choral hymn: At 14th level you learn how to use bardic pluck to aid allies. When you give a ally a bardic inspiration dice, you also heal them for the same amount as the bardic inspiration dice size.

Thoughts? I'm worried the 14th level feature is a tad underpowered.

JNAProductions
2018-02-22, 10:25 PM
I'd let them heal for the amount equal to your Bardic Inspiration die. This DOES allow for infinite out of combat healing... At level 20, so I'm not concerned. Still, perhaps limit it in some fashion?

Illven
2018-02-22, 10:28 PM
I'd let them heal for the amount equal to your Bardic Inspiration die. This DOES allow for infinite out of combat healing... At level 20, so I'm not concerned. Still, perhaps limit it in some fashion?

You have to roll init to regain a bardic inspiration use. Doesn't the dm tell you to roll init?

JNAProductions
2018-02-22, 10:35 PM
You have to roll init to regain a bardic inspiration use. Doesn't the dm tell you to roll init?

Eh... Generally, I've seen it played that you effectively have unlimited out of combat uses of Bardic Inspiration. Fluff-wise, you can regain it easily enough, but combat is stressful enough that you cannot regain mid-fight. Crunch-wise, what's to stop you from declaring "I start a friendly duel with Boris the Strong and Fair," roll init, and heal people?

Illven
2018-02-22, 10:42 PM
Eh... Generally, I've seen it played that you effectively have unlimited out of combat uses of Bardic Inspiration. Fluff-wise, you can regain it easily enough, but combat is stressful enough that you cannot regain mid-fight. Crunch-wise, what's to stop you from declaring "I start a friendly duel with Boris the Strong and Fair," roll init, and heal people?

Because Boris will beat the **** out of you.

If you want to lose 2d6+wtf damage to heal someone else 1d12, I don't necessarily agree that it's OP.

JNAProductions
2018-02-22, 10:43 PM
Because Boris will beat the **** out of you.

If you want to lose 2d6+wtf damage to heal someone else 1d12, I don't necessarily agree that it's OP.

Well, most DMs do play it as unlimited out of combat Bardic Inspiration. That's how I'd play it.

Again, though, I don't think it's really broken. Even played that way, level 20 is the time for shenanigans. Onion Druids, for instance.

Illven
2018-02-22, 10:53 PM
Well, most DMs do play it as unlimited out of combat Bardic Inspiration. That's how I'd play it.

Again, though, I don't think it's really broken. Even played that way, level 20 is the time for shenanigans. Onion Druids, for instance.

Yeah, if the dm's allowing onion druids then I don't think unlimited slow healing is dangerous. If they aren't. It's an easy fix, of you only regain inspiration if the init roll is stressful.