PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you create a mounted tower?

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-22, 11:12 PM
Let's say you have a party of four, a Gnome (Wizard), Halfling (Sorcerer), Human, Dwarf, and a Horse. The Halfing twin casts Enlarge/Reduce, making themselves Tiny, and the horse Huge. The Gnome then casts Enlarge/Reduce on the Dwarf, making them Large.

Then the Dwarf then mounts the Horse, the Human mounts the Dwarf, the Gnome mounts the Human, then finally the Halfing mounts the Gnome, thus creating a tower of Halfling(Tiny)>Gnome(Small)>Human(Medium)>Dwarf(Large)>Horse(Huge).

Does this work RAW?

strangebloke
2018-02-22, 11:15 PM
Let's say you have a party of four, a Gnome (Wizard), Halfling (Sorcerer), Human, Dwarf, and a Horse. The Halfing twin casts Enlarge/Reduce, making themselves Tiny, and the horse Huge. The Gnome then casts Enlarge/Reduce on the Dwarf, making them Large.

Then the Dwarf then mounts the Horse, the Human mounts the Dwarf, the Gnome mounts the Human, then finally the Halfing mounts the Gnome, thus creating a tower of Halfling(Tiny)>Gnome(Small)>Human(Medium)>Dwarf(Large)>Horse(Huge).

Does this work RAW?

Seems so.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Morcleon
2018-02-22, 11:43 PM

Does this work RAW?

You then get an Elephant (presumably under Animal Friendship/Speak with Animals for coordination), cast Enlarge/Reduce to make it Gargantuan, and have the Horse mount it.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-22, 11:55 PM
You then get an Elephant (presumably under Animal Friendship/Speak with Animals for coordination), cast Enlarge/Reduce to make it Gargantuan, and have the Horse mount it.
You'd probably need something besides a horse, it's not intelligent, nor could plausible mount another creature. :p

Waterdeep Merch
2018-02-22, 11:59 PM
You'd probably need something besides a horse, it's not intelligent, nor could plausible mount another creature. :p
Find steed. Now it's a smart horse.
Second paladin, find greater steed. Now the elephant can be replaced with a divine rhino. To better coordinate.

Everyone grab Mounted Combatant. Things are going to get real.

Tanarii
2018-02-23, 12:22 AM
I've been scanning through Temple of Annihilation recently, and there's some interesting rules for Goblin towers in that, even though they're all the same size. It's a tactic they came up with so they can attack a tall creature or one in trees. Only the top Goblin gets to attack, but it gets advantage from all the other ones using their weapons too. Effectively, they get to Help.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-23, 12:22 AM
Find steed. Now it's a smart horse.
Second paladin, find greater steed. Now the elephant can be replaced with a divine rhino. To better coordinate.

Everyone grab Mounted Combatant. Things are going to get real.
Find Greater Steed would be perfect, either for a huge animal to make gargantuan or just to replace the horse with a Griffen, and give the tower a flight speed of 160 when dashing, or 240 if you make the human an Eldritch Knight that casts Haste on the Griffon. The Dwarf would be the Paladin, and armed with a lance and the Mounted Combatant feat.

GreyBlack
2018-02-23, 02:41 AM
Depends. How much is the horse carrying? Because encumberance rules are a thing.

Unoriginal
2018-02-23, 05:59 AM
I've been scanning through Temple of Annihilation recently, and there's some interesting rules for Goblin towers in that, even though they're all the same size. It's a tactic they came up with so they can attack a tall creature or one in trees. Only the top Goblin gets to attack, but it gets advantage from all the other ones using their weapons too. Effectively, they get to Help.

Note that it's said the goblins are aware this tactic is inefficient against humanoid foes

Caelic
2018-02-23, 07:10 AM
It should be turtles. All the way down.

hymer
2018-02-23, 07:12 AM
Does this work RAW?
Don't let this stop the fun, but: no. The mounts must have an appropriate anatomy, and the whole thing about controlling a mount clearly means dealing with a single mount. An extremely liberal DM (or sufficiently addled, I'm not suggesting getting anyone drunk, mind) could rule the anatomy in your favour, but if a Tiny mounts a Small, mounted on a Medium, Tiny yanks the small off the Medium in an initiative sense.
As for independent mounts, you're all just basically carrying each other and limited by the lowermost creature's movement (and people's carrying capacity). That might fly in a RAW (lawful stupid) sense, but there's not really anything gained (at least until you put in something like Mounted Combatant), and only something lost. It would be no different from the lowermost creature carrying the other two, rather than carrying one that is carrying the other.

Now what does that remind me of...?

http://classic.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/animations/bestiary/act3/fetishshaman.gif

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-23, 08:45 AM

You might want to rephrase that last part. :smallbiggrin:

hymer
2018-02-23, 10:01 AM
You might want to rephrase that last part. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, add in a rhino somewhere. The result then could be a helephino.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-23, 11:03 AM
Don't let this stop the fun, but: no. The mounts must have an appropriate anatomy, and the whole thing about controlling a mount clearly means dealing with a single mount.
I was looking for any rules on anatomy, but couldn't find them, do you have PHB/DMG page for me to look at? And you're not controlling the mount, it's an intelligent mount that takes its own actions.

Altair_the_Vexed
2018-02-23, 11:15 AM
Players: We have cast this series of spells, and taken these feats - we are a gestalt mounted tower party! We win!

GM: Fine. The campaign is set in a mega-dungeon, with 8ft high ceilings.

:smallbiggrin:

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-23, 12:03 PM
Players: We have cast this series of spells, and taken these feats - we are a gestalt mounted tower party! We win!

GM: Fine. The campaign is set in a mega-dungeon, with 8ft high ceilings.

:smallbiggrin:
I mean, outside of using a flying mount, there's not much to actually gain mechanically here, the only thing you're really gaining is mobility if you use a fast mount. It's mostly for the hilarity. :p

hymer
2018-02-23, 01:03 PM
I was looking for any rules on anatomy, but couldn't find them, do you have PHB/DMG page for me to look at? And you're not controlling the mount, it's an intelligent mount that takes its own actions.

P. 198 under Mounted Combat:

A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as a mount, using the following rules.

But as long as you are dealing with independent mounts, the rules are barely rules. The only surprising thing about them (which is also potentially available if you're riding a controlled mount) is that you can get some extra movement out of it in a given round. A rider gets carried along on Initiative X for as far as the mount can go, and then when it's their turn on Initiative Y, the rider dismounts and moves under their own power as far as they can, thus moving farther in one round than it could itself, and farther than its (probably faster) mount could.
The tower would potentially allow this to reach some pretty staggering speeds, I suppose.

strangebloke
2018-02-23, 02:16 PM
Here's my build:

Top(Tiny): Halfing Sorcerer concentrating on twinned enlarge/reduce (self, bottom)

Upper-Mid(small): rock gnome Abjurer wizard concentrating on enlarge/reduce(lower-mid).
-Counterspells anything targeting the bottom tier.
-Prevents damage to himself and the sorcerer with his ward.
-Has war caster and a level in hexblade for medium armor and a shield.

Mid(Medium): Mountain Dwarf Valor Bard concentrating on longstrider/fly(bottom).
-uses cutting words to prevent big hits
-uses BI to keep saves up.
-Uses aura of vitality to generate big heals.

Lower-mid(Large): Goliath ancients paladin.
-Saves and damage reduction aura hits whole party.
-Uses lance to hit foes on the ground.
-Needs powerful build to carry teammates.

Bottom(Huge):Moon Druid in bear form.
-Self-explanatory.

Flying tower on top of a bear. Completely unstoppable.

pdegan2814
2018-02-23, 02:20 PM
It should be turtles. All the way down.

I think you mean Tortles all the way down :)

N810
2018-02-23, 02:44 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAbRKPA3iQaOlh-LYfjVOf_LVg8i7atzBkFdMWnDI1O1vyeNnD ???