PDA

View Full Version : DnD character sheet question

TheQuestionable
2007-08-28, 07:56 AM
I have the 2003 version of the character sheet and, I'm guessing, the beginner book I have for it is out of date or there has been updates. I read through it, loved the concept and the game in general. The only problem is that I don't understand the character sheet. I live in a somewhat rural area and the only DM I know of (stranger advertising on a filer) goes to college and charges for sessions (nty).

I tell my friends about the game and they also like the game and ask me to learn how to DM so we can play it. I set up many campaigns and plot ideas but I could never get past the character sheet, monster stats, and experience points. I even made my own version of DnD (the poor man's version) but that lacked the diversity of the original game (plus mine sucked and was generally unbalanced making it not very fun at all).

I bought more books but nothing explained things to me. I understand it but then I don't. Can someone fill out a level character that progresses to at least level four/ direct me to a helpful guide/ explain what to make of "Flat-footed armor class", "touch armor class", all the stat modifiers, etc.

Please help

InkEyes
2007-08-28, 08:08 AM
When a character is flat-footed that means you are taken by surprise and you don't get your dexterity bonus to your AC. Touch attacks don't factor armor, natural armor, and shields to your AC because all you need to do is touch someone to do the damage. The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm) is a good place to read up on rules (they also have stats on all the monsters in the MM.)

You can also download (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/charactersheets) character sheets from the official website for free if you need them.

Brianish
2007-08-28, 08:17 AM
Charging for sessions is also complete bull, just fyi.

Solo
2007-08-28, 08:57 AM
What kind of DM charges for sessions?

Wolf_Shade
2007-08-28, 09:18 AM
What kind of DM charges for sessions?
An economics major that flunked ethics?
Knows supply and demand, but doesn't understand the concept of game for fun.

valadil
2007-08-28, 09:37 AM
When 3.0 first came out it included a CD with software for building characters. Experienced players found it to be lacking, but it did do a nice job of giving you a step by step process for making your character rather than showing you the whole character sheet and leaving you to figure out the rest. If you could find a copy of that it'd probably help. Anyone still have their 3.0 books/CD?

I realize it's lame, but depending on how much the guy charges, it might be worth paying for a single session, just to get him to help you with a character. I can totally understand if you don't want to on general principal though. Maybe you could ask him if you could try for free and see if you like it? That's how drug dealers get people hooked, why would gaming DMs be any different?

TheQuestionable
2007-08-28, 03:38 PM
I have a character idea, and have been working on the terminology and such. So far I have:

Dwarf cleric (not sure if you start at level 1 or 0 since there are level 0 spells), 14 str, 14 dex, 20 con(18+2 racial), 18 int, 18 wis, 14 cha(16-2 racial). 28 hp. 15 speed, 9 ac (10+4+2+3+0+0+0+0)(not sure how dmg reduction is calulated), touch (no idea), flat-footed(thx for the definition but how do I determine mine?),Initiative total is 17 b/c I have a 17 dex modifier.

Fort= 20 (18,+2,0,0,0)
reflex=14 (14,0,0,0,0)
Will= 18 (18,0,0,0,0)

Base attack bonus= (no idea), spell resistance= (no idea)
grapple= (no idea how to make stats)

got Heavy Mace, dmg 1d8, crit x2, type: bludeoning, weighs: 12ib

skills: (not sure the limit, just got what said dwarf/cleric's should have
Appraise +2 racial (read up on this and was completely confused about it number wise), bluff (sounds awesome), concentration (not sure how that works number wise), heal, knowledge: arcana, knowledge: religion (obviously).

Armor: Scale mail, type: medium, +4 AC bonus. +3 max dex, _4 check penalty (check penalty for what exactly?), spell failure 25%, 30ib

Sheild: Large wooden sheild, +2 AC, 15ib, Check penalty: -6, spell failure 15%

feats:(how do I get them, how does that work?)

Special abilities: Dark vision (I guess)

Spell domain: Sun/healing (god's Pelor)

*also how should I hand out xp points and what does the "/level damage" in "Cure light wounds 1d8 +1/level damage(max +5)

Help please

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-28, 03:47 PM
Are you sure the rulebook you have is the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook, 3.5 Edition (that's the one that would have been published in 2003). If so, I recommend reading carefully over the chapter on character creation once or twice more, as I feel it explains the concept fairly well.

Watch this space for a walkthrough by me on how to create a character. I'm at work right now, but I will help you out later.

Okay, one thing bugs me too much to put this down just now: An Ability Modifier is not the same thing as your Ability Score. The Ability Modifier, which is what's usually used in calculations, is ((Ability Score - 10) / 2), rounded down. In other words, a character has a +1 strength modifier for every two points over ten his strength is, and -1 for every two points below (a character with 12 strength would have a +1 Strength modifier, 17 Strength would have a +3 modifier, and 8 would be a -1 modifier).

Flat-footed AC is your base AC minus any bonus from your Dexterity modifier or Dodge bonuses (Your example's would be 17).
Touch AC is your base AC minus any bonus from armor, shield, or natural armor (Your example's would be 12).

Base Attack Bonus and Base Saving Throw bonuses are based on your class and level. Check the tables in the chapter on classes for the values. You add your Constitution modifier to fortitude saves, your Dexterity modifier to reflex saves, and your Wisdom modifier to Will saves.

Your grapple modifier is your Base Attack Bonus + your strength + any modifier for Size (since Dwarves are Medium, you would not have a size modifier. A Halfling, to use an example of a Small character, would have -4, and an Ogre, a large creature, would have +4).

Okay, so that was four things that bugged me and I could do from memory at my desk. Again, if you just read through your Player's Handbook, it explains everything you need to create a character, though I'm sure it leaves a few things out of the chracter creation chapter and in others, such as Combat and Classes.

Magi_Ring_O
2007-08-28, 03:55 PM
The way I would suggest learning is getting Neverwinter Nights. That was how I got all the basic rules figured out.

Kizara
2007-08-28, 04:03 PM
I have a character idea, and have been working on the terminology and such. So far I have:

Dwarf cleric (not sure if you start at level 1 or 0 since there are level 0 spells), 14 str, 14 dex, 20 con(18+2 racial), 18 int, 18 wis, 14 cha(16-2 racial). 28 hp. 15 speed, 9 ac (10+4+2+3+0+0+0+0)(not sure how dmg reduction is calulated), touch (no idea), flat-footed(thx for the definition but how do I determine mine?),Initiative total is 17 b/c I have a 17 dex modifier.

Fort= 20 (18,+2,0,0,0)
reflex=14 (14,0,0,0,0)
Will= 18 (18,0,0,0,0)

Base attack bonus= (no idea), spell resistance= (no idea)
grapple= (no idea how to make stats)

got Heavy Mace, dmg 1d8, crit x2, type: bludeoning, weighs: 12ib

skills: (not sure the limit, just got what said dwarf/cleric's should have
Appraise +2 racial (read up on this and was completely confused about it number wise), bluff (sounds awesome), concentration (not sure how that works number wise), heal, knowledge: arcana, knowledge: religion (obviously).

Armor: Scale mail, type: medium, +4 AC bonus. +3 max dex, _4 check penalty (check penalty for what exactly?), spell failure 25%, 30ib

Sheild: Large wooden sheild, +2 AC, 15ib, Check penalty: -6, spell failure 15%

feats:(how do I get them, how does that work?)

Special abilities: Dark vision (I guess)

Spell domain: Sun/healing (god's Pelor)

*also how should I hand out xp points and what does the "/level damage" in "Cure light wounds 1d8 +1/level damage(max +5)

Help please

1) You start at level 1. Refer to the cleric chart in the PHB, you will see you get 4 0-level spells (called Orisons).

2) Your BAB as a lvl 1 cleric is 0.

3) You do not have any spell resistance.

4) Your grapple bonus is basically your melee attack bonus (BAB+strength) + any special grapple mods (you don't have any currently).

5) You do not have 28 hp at level 1, you have 13. It's 8 (maximized 1d8) + con mod (or 5, in your case) = 13.

6) Your AC is 18 (10 base +2 dex + 4 armor +2 shield). Damage reduction is a special quality/ability that you do not currently have. Your DR is 0/0 (none). Your touch AC is 12 (10 + 2 dex), your flatfooted AC is 16 (normal AC - dex bonus).

7) Your initiative MODIFIER is +2 (dex modifier), and your Dexterity (according to you) is 14 (+2), not 17 (+3).

8) Your saves are:
Fort: +7 (2 base + 5 Con mod)
Ref: +2 (0 base + 2 Dex mod)
Will: +6 (2 base + 4 Wis mod)

You get (2+int)x4 skill points as a level one cleric, or 16. Your class skills appear on the cleric description, and I'm pretty sure they don't include bluff.

9) You get 1 feat at first level, and they do different things. Refer to chapter 5: feats in the PHB for details. You get additional feats at levels 3, 6 and 9 etc. Refer to the charts in the very begining chapter 3: classes in the PHB.

10) Spells often have greater effects based on your caster level. With the Healing domain, you get +1 caster level on healing spells.
For cure light wounds, you heal 1d8+2 points of damage. That is, roll 1 eight-sided die and add 2 to the total. When you level up, your Cure Light Wounds spell will then heal 1d8+3 points of damage.

EDIT: *KILLS SOME NINJAS*

The Mormegil
2007-08-28, 04:07 PM
Are you sure you have the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide?

anyway, you start at level 1, and can cast X evel 0 spells and Y level 1 spells as said in the Cleric class table + the chapter 1 table (bonus spells for high stats).
you add Strength bonus to damage. You have 13 hp.No spell resistance. No damage reduction (you'll need high-level equipment to get that)
you didn't mention spells: why?
feats and skills are explained in chapter 4 and 5 and you get them as ruled in chapter 3 (the beginning). Can't see any problem with it really... Give it another try!
1d8+1/level means you toss a d8 and add your cleric level to total (up to +5).

Kizara
2007-08-28, 04:08 PM
The way I would suggest learning is getting Neverwinter Nights. That was how I got all the basic rules figured out.

I disagree completely, as NVW does ALOT of screwy things with the rules. Has different classes, treats combat differently, spells have different effects, etc.

NVW still uses 3.0 haste, it has things like Discipline checks for being disarmed (a mechanic that doesnt even exist in normal DnD), it has PrCs and classes that don't exist in DnD, it also has some setting-specific material, etc.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-28, 04:13 PM
EDIT: *KILLS SOME NINJAS*
*dies with honor*

Much more useful guide in Kizara's post there. Read that.

Kajorma
2007-08-28, 04:54 PM
Ok, most everything has been covered.

I'd just like to add that as a Cleric you get two domains. There are a bunch listed in the back of the players hand-book, or you could go to the srd (http://www.d20srd.org)

Domains are one of the best ways to customize your cleric. Some of them will allow you to cast spells not normally available to Clerics. (The magic domain gives access to some wizard spells for example) Others can grant special abilities (The luck domain can allow you to re-roll bad rolls)

Basically, I'd suggest reading through all the domains and seeing what you like.

Also, your stats are insanely high. Make sure that you generated them in a manner that is acceptable to your DM. (I tend to use the point buy system in my games)

Gralamin
2007-08-28, 05:30 PM
Wizards Seems (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070109) to have (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070123) Some articles (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070206) on this subject

TheQuestionable
2007-08-28, 05:34 PM
got most of that, this is really helping.

For my attack (lets say I hit you with my Heavy Mace), is that 1d8 +base strength (and how do I get my strength score into a base attack bonus number".

How does the appraise calculator work if I have it as my skill in regards to someone who doesn't?

Re-reading the book too, trying to understand most of the lingo (relying on the dictionary in the back alot lol).

Got silent spell as a feat, looks useful enough

Not sure what my armor penalty's are for, is it like tumble, swim, climb, etc.? and if so how does that work, 46% chance to fail (made up number).

spells:

Turn undead
2x cure light wounds
endure elements: depends on campaign
detect magic
Virtue
read magic

again thx

Townopolis
2007-08-28, 05:59 PM
Add your base attack bonus and your strength modifier to all attack rolls with melee weapons (eg. a heavy mace). Add your strength modifer to all damage rolls with melee weapons.

So, as a level 1 cleric with 14 strength it would look like this:

when you attack, you roll 1d20 and add 2 to your roll to get your result (0 bab, 2 strength mod). If you hit, you roll 1d8 and add 2 (2 strength mod) to determine how much damage you do.

Your armor check penalty is a negative modifier applied to any skill checks that say so.

Jump, for example. If you have no ranks in jump, 14 strength, and a -8 armor check penalty, you roll 1d20 and subtract 6 from your roll to get your result (+2 strength modifier, -8 armor check penalty). Swim checks suffer double your armor check penalty.

Kizara
2007-08-28, 07:47 PM
On the note of your prepared spells:

Read the Spontaneous Casting bit in the cleric entry, and you should realize you should prepare things OTHER then Cure Wounds in your spell slots, since you can spontaneously convert anything else to cure spells anyways.

Devils_Advocate
2007-08-28, 08:41 PM
Scroll down to the great big post by Tyler Do'Urden. (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-565322)

Don't say I never did nuthin' fer ya.

Kizara
2007-08-29, 12:12 AM
Scroll down to the great big post by Tyler Do'Urden. (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-565322)

Don't say I never did nuthin' fer ya.

The only problem I saw reading that was his third point wasn't "What do you want?!" followed by "Do you have anything wroth living for?!".

10 coolness points to whoever gets that referance first.

horseboy
2007-08-29, 01:59 AM
Also, since you're on the net google Heroforge. It's an Excel spread sheet that will fill out the character sheet for you. That way you just fiddle with skill points feats and the like. It takes care of all the fiddly parts like the different types of AC and grapple and all that. (Personally using 5.0.8)

TheQuestionable
2007-08-29, 09:59 AM
How do I determine my Int Modifier, I looked for it in class description and the skills pages but I couldn't find a chart or anything.

Like when you determine how many skills you have it's based off your int Modifier.

Also, confiedent in my ability and rolled a friend his character (or helped him with the process). It's a rogue, working on it too =)

Dizlag
2007-08-29, 10:12 AM
For all Ability Scores (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores) just look at the chart to the right. This chart is also on pg.8 of the Player's Handbook. Find your Ability Score in the first column , then look at the second column for it's modifier.

So, for this rogue you're rolling up for your friend. The rogue has 8 + Int Modifier number of skill points every level and 4 times that many at 1st level. If you have an Int of 15, then you'll have 8 + 2 = 10 skill points every level and 40 at first level.

Good luck!

Dizlag

Citizen Joe
2007-08-29, 10:20 AM
You can see a chart here in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores)

The formula is (Attribute-10)/2 round down.

Kizara
2007-08-29, 01:54 PM
For all Ability Scores (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores) just look at the chart to the right. This chart is also on pg.8 of the Player's Handbook. Find your Ability Score in the first column , then look at the second column for it's modifier.

So, for this rogue you're rolling up for your friend. The rogue has 8 + Int Modifier number of skill points every level and 4 times that many at 1st level. If you have an Int of 15, then you'll have 8 + 2 = 10 skill points every level and 40 at first level.

Good luck!

Dizlag

Also, as a minor point, human's gain an extra skill point per level, and thus if your friend is a human rogue, he will have 8+3=11 points/level, and 44 at first level.

Irreverent Fool
2007-08-29, 02:06 PM
1) You start at level 1. Refer to the cleric chart in the PHB, you will see you get 4 0-level spells (called Orisons).

5) You do not have 28 hp at level 1, you have 13. It's 8 (maximized 1d8) + con mod (or 5, in your case) = 13.

Just want to point out for someone new to the game that at level 1 you always start off with your max die roll +constitution modifier for HP. I honestly don't recall if this is in the PHB or not, but I have never once in all my years met a DM who doesn't grant you this. You don't, however, get a maximized die every level. You roll that HP die and add your con modifier when you level up... unless your DM has a different scheme for some reason.

Also (out of order, I know), there are charts for when you get certain levels of spells. I was greatly confused about this for a very long time, as I didn't play a caster until 3.5 had been rolling for some time. For full-casters like clerics and wizards you start with 0 and 1st-level spells, and gain access to the next level of spells every two levels. So those sexy, sexy 3rd-level spells come to you at level 5. Just check the charts and you're golden.

(Sorcerers are weird.)

TheQuestionable
2007-08-29, 10:44 PM
Thank you, I've been reading the DM book online and figured I'm going to actualy have to buy the DM handguide if I plan on carrying on a session (I can't avoid item creation, the helpful charts, and all those artifacts).

Not only that I'll probably have to purchase the Monster Manul as well. I want tese novels but I hate that I HAVE to have them in oreder to play (alot of money to shell out).

Ralfarius
2007-08-29, 11:32 PM
It may seem like a lot at about $30 a book for 3 books, but those three books can be used by a group of 4-5 character + 1 Dungeon master. If your friends are seriously interested in playing, consider splitting the cost for a single set of the core rulebooks to start out. It's not nearly as much if you can split it 4 or more ways, just so long as you don't run into the old Bart/Millhouse/Martin with the Radioactive Man issue #1 scenario.

TheQuestionable
2007-08-30, 08:09 AM
It may seem like a lot at about $30 a book for 3 books, but those three books can be used by a group of 4-5 character + 1 Dungeon master. If your friends are seriously interested in playing, consider splitting the cost for a single set of the core rulebooks to start out. It's not nearly as much if you can split it 4 or more ways, just so long as you don't run into the old Bart/Millhouse/Martin with the Radioactive Man issue #1 scenario.

Will do (also I have to go to a bigger city just to get it, would order it but no credit card and rather just buy it myself).

Thanks again for all the help, if another question comes up will gladly post.

Duke of URL
2007-08-30, 08:40 AM
The only problem I saw reading that was his third point wasn't "What do you want?!" followed by "Do you have anything wroth living for?!".

The Princess Bride.

Dausuul
2007-08-30, 09:21 AM

The Princess Bride.

Nope. Babylon 5, Lorien being all elder-race mysterious at John Sheridan.

The Princess Bride quote would be "Hey. Hello in there. Hey! What's so important? What you got here that's worth livin' for?"