PDA

View Full Version : Is There Mythical Pokémon In Pokémon GO?

Bartmanhomer
2018-02-23, 04:16 PM
I just thought of something which really occur to me. Can you get mythical Pokémon (such as Mew) in Pokémon Go? If so, how can you get mythical Pokémon in Pokémon Go? :confused:

KillianHawkeye
2018-02-27, 01:19 PM
You mean Legendary Pokemon?

I haven't been doing much recently since it's been winter in North America, but I've been getting app notifications about Legendaries like Groudon/Kyogre and Entei/Raikou/Suicune being in the game, and I remember that there was something about Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres a while back. I don't think there's been anything for Mew or Mewtwo yet, but maybe I'm just forgetting.

Anyway, I think getting the Legendaries might have something to do with the multiplayer raid mechanics. Not sure, as I haven't ever gotten together with other people to attempt one, but I don't think they're just randomly in the world like normal Pokemon are.

But for me, Pokemon Go has always been just a thing that's entertaining enough to get me to walk outside and get some exercise, so I never worried too much about getting rare Pokemon or even doing gym battles or anything else. Most of the Pokemon you catch aren't particularly special, so they just go to candy for evolving the few good ones you catch or get from hatching eggs. I guess somebody who's more in it for the gameplay/competition factor would be able to answer this more definitively.

Bartmanhomer
2018-02-27, 01:36 PM
You mean Legendary Pokemon?

I haven't been doing much recently since it's been winter in North America, but I've been getting app notifications about Legendaries like Groudon/Kyogre and Entei/Raikou/Suicune being in the game, and I remember that there was something about Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres a while back. I don't think there's been anything for Mew or Mewtwo yet, but maybe I'm just forgetting.

Anyway, I think getting the Legendaries might have something to do with the multiplayer raid mechanics. Not sure, as I haven't ever gotten together with other people to attempt one, but I don't think they're just randomly in the world like normal Pokemon are.

But for me, Pokemon Go has always been just a thing that's entertaining enough to get me to walk outside and get some exercise, so I never worried too much about getting rare Pokemon or even doing gym battles or anything else. Most of the Pokemon you catch aren't particularly special, so they just go to candy for evolving the few good ones you catch or get from hatching eggs. I guess somebody who's more in it for the gameplay/competition factor would be able to answer this more definitively.
No not Legendary Pokémon. Legendary and Mythical are two different things.

Joran
2018-02-27, 03:48 PM
I just thought of something which really occur to me. Can you get mythical Pokémon (such as Mew) in Pokémon Go? If so, how can you get mythical Pokémon in Pokémon Go? :confused:

No, the mythical Pokemon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and Deoxys) are not currently available in Pokemon Go; PoGo is currently on Gen 3.

There are two mechanics to get Legendary Pokemon in PoGo:

1) Legendary Raids: These are level 5 raids, which appear occasionally on Pokemon Gyms. They're decently tough, requiring at least 3 people and usually at least 5-6 people with the appropriately powered Pokemon. Once you defeat the raid, you have a chance to catch the Pokemon; they're relatively tough to catch, but if you're good at throwing, you can get your catch rate up to 60-80%. You can have multiple Legendary pokemon; some people have caught dozens of each legendary.

They aren't that rare, so if you're in an area with Pokemon Gyms, you should see a Legendary Raid fairly often. A lot of dedicated players use third party communication (Facebook, Discord, Whatsapp, etc) to plan raids and drive to them. Really hardcore people can do 10+ of these raids in a day.

Usually, there's only one Legendary pokemon available for a Legendary raid; this month is Rayquaza, although Groudon and Kyogre have crashed the party for a week.

2) EX Raids (Exclusive Raids): These are special raids where you must have an invitation to attend. These raids are determined based on your activity on other raids; it's a certain time and place, given several days in advance.

Currently, EX Raids are the only way to get Mewtwo. There's also a fair bit of RNG to get Mewtwo; some people are highly active raiders and haven't gotten an invite, others already have 7-8.

With that in mind, my guess is that Mythic Pokemon will be catchable outside of these two mechanics and with a new game function (maybe quests?), but if it's one of these, they'll probably be locked behind an EX Raid.

Edit: Also, PoGo has introduced Community Days (a designated day in a month), which has bonuses, so maybe a raid during that day could have a legendary. Also, GoFest should be soonish, which kicked off the whole legendary raid thing last year.