PDA

View Full Version : (Homebrew) Crusade Domian

Alpha115
2018-02-23, 04:49 PM
So in my setting I was creating a new Cleric domain. I wanted to get some feedback on it so I could tweak it and make it not feel to strong.
So here is the domain below. I was mainly adding this domain as a way to make a more martial cleric, similar to the sword bard but the martial improvement come at a cost to spell casting utility. Again all feedback is welcome, and encouraged.

Crusade Domain
Crusade Domain Spells
1st Divine favor
3rd Magic weapon
5th Crusader’s Mantle
7th Stone skin
9th Hold Monster

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level you gain proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor.

Boon of battle
From 1st level your god grants you aid in battle. Whenever you make an attack roll, you may gain a +10 bonus to hit. Once you use this feature you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Channel divinity: holy Blow
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your channel divinity to empower your attack. When you make a weapon attack roll, you can use your channel divinity to add 1D8 extra radiant damage to your strike. You make this choice after you see the roll, but before the DM says whether the attack hits or misses.

Channel Divinity: Unyielding strikes
Starting at 6th level, you can use your channel divinity to grant allow you to fight more ferociously in combat for up to 1 minute. While this power is active you can attack twice instead of once whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon Attack, you can cause the Attack to deal an extra 1d8 radiant damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

For the Crusade
Starting at 17th level, while in combat you can inspire all allies within 30-foot radius of you. Inspired allies gain one inspiration die, a D10. Once within the next minute, the creature can roll the di and add the number rolled to one attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the D20 before using the inspiration die. Once the Inspiration die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can only have 1 Inspiration die at a time. Once you use this feature you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

MrStabby
2018-02-23, 06:30 PM
There is a homebrew forum for this kind of thing. It is probably more appropriate there.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-23, 11:22 PM
Honestly, OP, this seems mostly like you took some iconic Paladin features and mashed them up with War Cleric. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you want paladin features, play a paladin.

Otherwise, looks good. I might not agree with Hold Monster as a domain spell, though.

Edit: Don't clerics get two domain spells per level? This build could be a bit underpowered with fewer.

Avonar
2018-02-24, 01:08 AM
Honestly this seems so similar to the War Domain, I really don't see the point of it. You use the same +10 to hit, but make it not a Channel Divinity, you take the extra attacks and then make them a Channel Divinity, the additional damage Channel Divinity is rather unimpressive, and the Level 17 ability is so obviously a Bardic Inspiration copy.

What do you want from this Domain? What makes it any different or unique?

Also, there is no penalty to spellcasting as you stated.

bid
2018-02-24, 01:08 AM
So in my setting I was creating a new Cleric domain. I wanted to get some feedback on it so I could tweak it and make it not feel to strong.
Well first, congratulations on making a homebrew that looks balanced. All the features are well limited.

Beyond that, you should take all the war domain spells instead of half. Swapping war priest and guided strike is a heavy nerf, since you lose the Wis per long rest. But unyielding strike might compensate for it.

Still, it's worth playing and features can evolve once their true strength is clear. I give you a perfect 5/7 score.

Alpha115
2018-02-24, 10:49 AM
Honestly this seems so similar to the War Domain, I really don't see the point of it. You use the same +10 to hit, but make it not a Channel Divinity, you take the extra attacks and then make them a Channel Divinity, the additional damage Channel Divinity is rather unimpressive, and the Level 17 ability is so obviously a Bardic Inspiration copy.

What do you want from this Domain? What makes it any different or unique?

Also, there is no penalty to spellcasting as you stated.

Well, what I am trying to do is make the crusader domain like the blade bard domain. I personally view the war cleric having similarities to the valor bard. Also the bard has two martial subclasses why can't the cleric? War priest is a strong starting ability, but quickly falls off lategame. As for the war domain's strong combo of spirit weapon and spirit guardians any other cleric can replicate that raw power as can valor and blade bards. As for the penalty to spell casting the Crusade domain has a smaller prepared spell list which is I feel a solid spell casting limitation.

Alpha115
2018-02-24, 10:58 AM
Well first, congratulations on making a homebrew that looks balanced. All the features are well limited.

Beyond that, you should take all the war domain spells instead of half. Swapping war priest and guided strike is a heavy nerf, since you lose the Wis per long rest. But unyielding strike might compensate for it.

Still, it's worth playing and features can evolve once their true strength is clear. I give you a perfect 5/7 score.

I was thinking of another idea instead of holy blows. My other idea was for the channel divinity to allow the crusade domain cleric to learn a fighting style for 1 hour, however the crusade domain cleric could change the fighting style to something else if the use their channel divinity again.