PDA

View Full Version : How do I build a Kensai that can manifest weapons?

greygriffin
2018-02-23, 05:00 PM
I'm envisaging a genasi Kensai monk that can manifest weapons as part of a limited genasi elemental control talent (explained as an inherent ability the character had mastered - the weapon would mechanically be standard for its type, although I would want the Bond/Pact Weapon benefits of being able to desummon/summon it at will). The character should be fluidly physical and mobile (good Acrobatics, Athletics, and able to jump/dash), but is not very knowledgeable about the outside world.

I can't figure out how to actually build this, though; none of the options seem to work well mechanically, mostly due to MAD problems, and late progression of Monk abilities especially Extra Attack.

Water Genasi
STR 10
DEX 15
CON 14
WIS 14
INT/CHA required for MC 13
INT/CHA not required for MC 10
ASIs to DEX

Options I have found:

Hexblade 3-4/Kensai X (or Bladelock Any 3-4/Kensai X) - needs 13 CHA. Access to Devil Sight, Shield, and Blur all very useful and easily fluffed as water elemental abilities. Skill proficiencies are INT and CHA stuff and I want to be a physical character. Optimising would say use Hex and/or Hexblade's Curse to increase damage but these don't match the character concept at all.

Eldritch Knight 3-4/Kensai X - no MC stat waste (extra points can go in CON or WIS). EK spells aren't all that useful, except Shield and Absorb Elements (both easily fluffed as elemental abilities also). Action Surge and Second Wind useful, but probably not when compared to missing 3 levels Monk. Fighter skill proficiencies are a better fit for the character. Get a Fighting Style - GWM for Quarterstaff, 2WF, or Dueling for one handed sword.

Soul Knife 1/Kensai X - needs 13 INT. Reduced impact on Monk progression. Not balanced for MC and the only possible weapon are the Soulknives. Allows a cheesy stacking of AC buffs to a +5 bonus.

Are there any other options, or ways to optimise one of these builds?

(Edited due to a mistake in MC requirements, now fixed)

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-23, 05:04 PM
You could ask your DM if they would be willing to work with you to create a feat, then choose it as your first ASI. Otherwise, you're going to have to be a bit MAD and choose a multiclass.

Armored Walrus
2018-02-23, 05:23 PM
or work up a homebrew variant to monk, basically dropping in the pact blade/bonded weapon feature in and removing something that exists now. 99% of the time the summoned weapon ability is a ribbon anyway, it's only an actual useful feat if you get imprisoned or attend a ball where you can't go in armed or something - and in that situation a regular monk always has their fists anyway.

Mongobear
2018-02-23, 06:39 PM
Just play a Dex focused Hexblade? Or dip 3 Warlock for PotB and a few Invocations, but that doesn't fix the MADness.

The 2 classes don't really mesh well, so you may have to give up some/most of the features to make it work. (Or convince you DM to make a custom class combining the two.)

Crgaston
2018-02-24, 06:37 AM
Since Genasi get a racial spell, perhaps you could swap that feature for the weapon summons.

Throne12
2018-02-24, 07:38 AM
Why not just play a soulknife mystic?

jaappleton
2018-02-24, 10:43 AM
My friend and fellow Playground member DracoKnight made this, I think it fits what you're looking for pretty well:

http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/06/soul-knife-redux.html

Quoz
2018-02-24, 10:44 AM
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but either a druid dip or magic initiate could grant shillelagh and magic stone cantrips, which could go well with certain Kensai choices. SCAG cantrips (which I believe can also work with unarmed attacks) can add to the theme of empowering weapons through ki.

Many magic items could also fit the bill. It's a minor enough effect you could probably work it out with your GM. Best stock option would be a ring of spell storing and have a caster keep it charged with shadow blade. Custom, I would try for a wand of shadow blade (10 charges, costs X charges to cast as a level X spell, recharge 2d4+2 charges on a long rest). A simple ring that grants the EK weapon bond trait would probably be a common item.

Lombra
2018-02-24, 06:15 PM
What you listed is what I can think of, I'd choose blade pact because you can fluff your patron as some elemental of your heritage, plus you get short rest spells, which are cool. Which monk way are you choosing? Devil's sight + shadow step go well together.

Edit: I read kensai the whole time and didn't link it to the subclass... lol.

Malifice
2018-02-24, 06:52 PM
IMG I would be happy to allow you to swap out the Kensai ability to deal extra damage with ranged weapons, for the ability to summon your weapon as a bonus action similar to a warlock.

Talk to your DM.

PeteNutButter
2018-02-25, 01:48 AM
The Shape Water cantrip could be potentially stretched to allow you to shape the water from your waterskin into a blade of ice.

You can get it at level 1 by being a water genasi, high elf, half elf variant or human variant via magic initiate.

RSP
2018-02-25, 02:08 AM
IMG I would be happy to allow you to swap out the Kensai ability to deal extra damage with ranged weapons, for the ability to summon your weapon as a bonus action similar to a warlock.

Talk to your DM.

Alas, the Pact of Blade summons takes an entire Action. The EK requires a BA. I only mention this because I hate that they wrote the two abilities as different actions: so selling your soul for an ability to summon a weapon is less efficient than being a warrior who dabbles in magic.

Silberluchs
2018-02-25, 02:11 AM
Aside from the obvious hexblade warlock already mentioned, above, there's also the 2nd level Shadow Blade spell, which should do the trick nicely. if you do plan to go that route, however, you're probably looking at a 3-level dip into either wizard (Bladedancer perhaps?) or warlock. You attributes will likely make that decision for you.