PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Historical Sci-Fi Campaign

8BitNinja
2018-02-23, 07:28 PM
So I've had this idea for a D20 Modern Campaign (with minimal modifications) for a World War 2 Sci Fi setting in alternative past where the world is affected by a combination of super technology and alien contact. As a result, each of the major belligerents of the war have some new form of technology. So far, this is what I have. Does anyone have any suggestions?

America: When an alien race visited America, they feared that, due to already being at war, would be attacked when they made contact. As a result these aliens decided to make a peace offering: Which was access to their advanced medicine. Due to their different biology, these medicines made humans super humans temporarily. As a result, the military decided to form squads of medically enhanced super units known as the Advanced Persons Division (name might be changed).

Britain: Like America, aliens also made contact with Britain. At the time of first contact, the German Lutwaffe was conducting air raids on Britain, which led these aliens to provide the Royal Air Force with alien spacecraft for defense.

Soviet Union: While the aliens wanted to make contact with the entirety of the allied powers and the members of the former League of Nations, the last ship that landed in the middle of Siberia was a crash, causing the entire envoy to die. The KGB examined the ship and found viral cells inside of the bloodstream of the alien corpses. They then used this create a spray able liquid that created zombies when applied to living humans or animals.

Germany: During the invasion of Poland, a large cache of a superconductive yet highly radioactive foreign metal was secured by the German Wehermacht. Engineers in Berlin ended up using this to create new plasma based weapons and mechlike armors, resulting in the creation of the SS Ubertechnik Division.

Japan: Although Japan had stayed in what seemed to the rest of the world as a world locked in an almost medieval stasis until the 19th century, Japanese scientists have been, since the 15th century, researching technology to break the boundary between man and his creation. Although during the 15th-19th century it involved steam powered prostetics, it eventually evolved into what is a primitive (by cyberpunk standards) form of cybernetics. These augmentations are applies to a group of elite soldiers.

I have nothing for Italy yet. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of something maybe pertaining to the Roman Empire, or maybe something the Italian army found while in Greece or Ethiopia. Also, does anyone else have ideas on how to alter history for the campaign more?

dps
2018-02-24, 12:26 PM
Historically, the only thing Italy really had going for it was good artillery, so you could give them something that makes their artillery even better. Giving them modern (that is, 21st century) fire direction and control comes to mind, but that might require a level of detail that you don't want, and wouldn't really be interesting from an RP POV anyway.

8BitNinja
2018-02-25, 10:09 PM
Historically, the only thing Italy really had going for it was good artillery, so you could give them something that makes their artillery even better. Giving them modern (that is, 21st century) fire direction and control comes to mind, but that might require a level of detail that you don't want, and wouldn't really be interesting from an RP POV anyway.

It doesn't have to be an exaggeration of the army's strengths (even though that was sort of the path I was going). It would just have to be an idea that would make the army better than Italy was at the time (Which honestly wasn't that much. Operations in Greece and Ethiopia left Italy at the mercy of Germany). I was thinking maybe of having to do something with magic if there isn't any tech to be thought of, but I'm not sure.

tomandtish
2018-02-26, 11:12 PM
I see one problem with this idea. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems like while all the alien visitations come at the same general time(?, and see more on that) the tech breakthroughs are at differing times? Looks like the Japanese are getting cybernetics 100 or more years ago? And maybe the Italians get something as far back as the Roman Empire?

If your players care about consistency, then this needs to be handled carefully. What could be given at the time of the Roman Empire that would be relevant at the time of WW2 and NOT have allowed the Roman Empire to conquer and maintain control of the world?

And same holds through for the Japanese. Depending on who was developing/controlling them in Japan, their internal history could play out differently, and looking at the time frame you list (the Meiji period - mid-1860s til turn of century) go even more in Japan's favor. They actually aren't as isolated during that time as people like to think. They won two wars with China, annexed Formosa, and fought Russia to a draw in the Russo-Japanese War. That's not counting The Boshin War, The Southwestern War, and (going back just 5 more years) three more internal conflicts.

Does Pearl Harbor play out the same way? Remember, the US wasn't in the war at the beginning. It was over two years later before we entered. How will these tech changes affect that? For that matter, timeline is important. Remember that the German bombings of Britain (The Blitz) basically came to an end May 1941 (as a systematic attack anyway). So Germany gets the radioactive material in 1939, England gets their new space planes sometime in 1940, and USA gets superheroes (or the tech to create them) at the end of 1941?

An idea that might be more consistent is to have two groups of aliens. Both are weak numerically, and looking for allies and a new place to call home (refugees). One is tech-based (weapons), and one is bio-based (heroes). They each pick opposite sides because hey, rivals.

You can then have the conflict play out that way. It can also open up political intrigue. Maybe they only give plans/info to one country on each side. Does that country share with their allies? What do they ask in return?

Bulhakov
2018-02-27, 06:52 AM
Zombiefied Russians would probably win WW2 just looking at pure numbers: https://vimeo.com/128373915 (I greatly recommend this video for a more accurate picture of WW2 than Hollywood movies).

I second tomandtish's idea about different alien factions (tech vs bio-based, maybe throw in a third psionics-based group) supporting the major superpowers.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-02-27, 07:29 AM
Zombiefied Russians would probably win WW2 just looking at pure numbers

Without the ability to use weapons, to adapt to enemy strategies or even to communicate effectively the red army would probably have been in big trouble though, the Germans might even have taken Moscow before winter.

The Russians might still be able to pull it of, but that's despite being zombies, not because of it.

Personally I'd try to use the tech to open up a third front for Germany, maybe infecting the reserve forces on the rear lines of their push, or maybe even paying a visit to some nice German cities, if I was willing to be evil enough about it. Maybe start with a petting zoo or a tree full of birds just for laughs and to throw them off my trail. Even if the zombies come back to bite me in the ass at some point they're still easier to fight than thinking Nazi soldiers.

PersonMan
2018-02-27, 08:05 AM
Zombiefied Russians would probably win WW2 just looking at pure numbers

Keep in mind, it's applied to living humans/animals. So, less of "all fallen are new soldiers" and more "anyone we would otherwise shoot is a potential soldier".

There's also the matter of details. Are these zombies controllable? How much motor/brain function do they have? A shambling mob you can prod towards enemies is basically good for little other than clearing minefields and psychological warfare. Keep logistics in mind, too - even if the zombies don't need any (they will, if they're using weapons), you still need a network of logistics to produce and then deploy the zombification fluid. Depending on how dangerous/volatile/expensive/heavy it is, it may just be easier to bring the "pre-zombies" to a series of centralized "zombie factories" rather than move the fluid to where it's needed.

This is also part of why the effectiveness of the individual zombies is important. If you need to make expensive fluid (potentially from materials otherwise used in production of other war materiel), then send it out / send people to it, potentially also having to move trainloads of zombies as well, it may not be worth doing unless the zombies are as or more useful than a regular soldier. There's also the second edge of the morale/psychological impact. Can you have mixed units of zombies and living humans, or will the unit's morale be dangerously eroded? Do the zombies decay? If you have shambling, rotting corpses around you may need to isolate the zombie troops for fear of them killing all your normal soldiers by proxy, since they spread disease everywhere.

redwizard007
2018-02-27, 08:07 PM
IIRC, the Red Army has focused quite a bit on artillery and rocket artillery. If the zombification agent can be deployed via artillery, then it becomes a much more effective weapon. Not only would they be seeding a threat in the German rear, they would be complicating German resupply and med-evac efforts for the front. Seems like that compliments their scorched Earth policy quite nicely.

8BitNinja
2018-02-27, 09:18 PM
First off, any misconceptions you may have may be my problem. I wrote that when I was really tired, so I might not have been communicating effectively.

I see one problem with this idea. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems like while all the alien visitations come at the same general time(?, and see more on that) the tech breakthroughs are at differing times? Looks like the Japanese are getting cybernetics 100 or more years ago? And maybe the Italians get something as far back as the Roman Empire?

You are correct about the alien visitations. They were observing human societies and cultures since around 1920. Since the League of Nations was what they presumed to be the authority on world affairs, along with the United States, they tried to contact them. However, with the unknown reason for the failure of the envoy sent to Russia, they assumed the worst and stopped sending envoys. As for the Italian tech, if it was to be from the Roman Empire, it would have to be a piece of lost technology that was recently discovered around the time of Italy joining the Axis Powers. As for the Japanese, their cybernetics started as steam powered prosthetic limbs, and were not effective other than being an almost impractical replacement for lost limbs. Around the 40s they improved.

If your players care about consistency, then this needs to be handled carefully. What could be given at the time of the Roman Empire that would be relevant at the time of WW2 and NOT have allowed the Roman Empire to conquer and maintain control of the world?

As I said above, the idea would be the Romans had some form of tech that was lost. That was my fault for not specifying.

And same holds through for the Japanese. Depending on who was developing/controlling them in Japan, their internal history could play out differently, and looking at the time frame you list (the Meiji period - mid-1860s til turn of century) go even more in Japan's favor. They actually aren't as isolated during that time as people like to think. They won two wars with China, annexed Formosa, and fought Russia to a draw in the Russo-Japanese War. That's not counting The Boshin War, The Southwestern War, and (going back just 5 more years) three more internal conflicts.

This could possibly draw attention to Japan's cybernetic technology. Maybe knowledge about this by America, China, and Russia could give them an edge. Maybe officers give orders to shoot the guys with metal parts first.

Does Pearl Harbor play out the same way? Remember, the US wasn't in the war at the beginning. It was over two years later before we entered. How will these tech changes affect that? For that matter, timeline is important. Remember that the German bombings of Britain (The Blitz) basically came to an end May 1941 (as a systematic attack anyway). So Germany gets the radioactive material in 1939, England gets their new space planes sometime in 1940, and USA gets superheroes (or the tech to create them) at the end of 1941?

I am aware of the entry time. Your timeline is correct. Captain Americas don't appear until around January 1942, while the British have UFOs flying alongside Spitfires in 1940, and the German super tech coming around probably sometime around the 14 Day Crusade - Invasion of France (probably thanks to the help of the detail below).

An idea that might be more consistent is to have two groups of aliens. Both are weak numerically, and looking for allies and a new place to call home (refugees). One is tech-based (weapons), and one is bio-based (heroes). They each pick opposite sides because hey, rivals.

I like this idea. I will be using it. Thank you.

You can then have the conflict play out that way. It can also open up political intrigue. Maybe they only give plans/info to one country on each side. Does that country share with their allies? What do they ask in return?

This is even better. This could actually open up more games than originally planned with this idea.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-02-28, 03:14 AM

Cyborgs vs mutants, one of those things that should be used in more mediocre science fiction movies.

BlacKnight
2018-02-28, 05:24 AM
An idea for Italy.
Things go south with the Pope and the Vatican State is occupied. In a hidden basement the fascists find holy relics with incredible powers like making people immortal or bringing dead back to life, mind control, perfoming biblical miracles and stuff like that.
Those relics are actually artifacts of some alien civilization that visited Earth centuries ago. They could be the precursors of the actual aliens, or maybe some sort of gods that the aliens are searching for.

ngilop
2018-02-28, 10:08 AM
You might want to look up the game Godlike or the game Weird War II for some inspriation

8BitNinja
2018-02-28, 11:40 AM
An idea for Italy.
Things go south with the Pope and the Vatican State is occupied. In a hidden basement the fascists find holy relics with incredible powers like making people immortal or bringing dead back to life, mind control, perfoming biblical miracles and stuff like that.
Those relics are actually artifacts of some alien civilization that visited Earth centuries ago. They could be the precursors of the actual aliens, or maybe some sort of gods that the aliens are searching for.

I don't know why, but this reminds me of Assassin's Creed. Especially the second one.

It sounds good. If no one else suggests anything better, I think I might go with it.

tomandtish
2018-02-28, 03:09 PM
I like this idea. I will be using it. Thank you.

This is even better. This could actually open up more games than originally planned with this idea.

I was helpful! (Must be ill....)

Let us know how it pans out!

An idea for Italy.

Like a Goa'uld Sarcophagus from Stargate..... Actually, a Goa'uld like species might work well for the tech race in general.

They've started infiltrating the leadership of one or more countries. Maybe the Italians found them first late teens, but one headed north and infested a former Austrian art student....

8BitNinja
2018-02-28, 06:10 PM
You might want to look up the game Godlike or the game Weird War II for some inspriation

Thank you for this nugget of information. I will look into that.

Cespenar
2018-03-01, 07:14 AM
Japan's bit sound a bit implausible, given how each other side receives an alien boost and these guys are just reaching the same level with Earth technology.

Why not say that they got a bit of that fancy metal from their German allies and built their cybernetics off of that?

Kiero
2018-03-01, 07:58 AM

I thought the Folgore (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/185th_Paratroopers_Division_Folgore) paratroopers were well regarded as well?

8BitNinja
2018-03-01, 06:11 PM
Japan's bit sound a bit implausible, given how each other side receives an alien boost and these guys are just reaching the same level with Earth technology.

Why not say that they got a bit of that fancy metal from their German allies and built their cybernetics off of that?

Sounds like a good explanation for their sudden jump in tech. Thanks for the idea.

Gnoman
2018-03-03, 05:48 PM
Historically, one of the things Italy was famous for was crossbowmen. Maybe you could play on that somehow, with the Italians gaining extremely powerful and accurate, but slow firing hand weapons. So have a rifle that fires about as often as a single-shot bolt action (or even slower), but can punch through tank armor like a 122mm cannon. This could easily play into the "lost technology" aspect you wanted, with the Genoese crossbow being "the closest thing" to the deathbolts that they'd forgotten how to make.

This would also give your Italians a very different flavor to the other powers. Instead of getting a super-flashy but limited superpower, they get a relatively down-to-earth utilitarian weapon - that they can make widely available.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-04, 10:24 AM
Can England develop a bioweapon virus that kills of aliens as a nod to H. G. Wells? That would be so awesome.

8BitNinja
2018-03-05, 07:13 PM
Keep in mind, it's applied to living humans/animals. So, less of "all fallen are new soldiers" and more "anyone we would otherwise shoot is a potential soldier".

There's also the matter of details. Are these zombies controllable? How much motor/brain function do they have? A shambling mob you can prod towards enemies is basically good for little other than clearing minefields and psychological warfare. Keep logistics in mind, too - even if the zombies don't need any (they will, if they're using weapons), you still need a network of logistics to produce and then deploy the zombification fluid. Depending on how dangerous/volatile/expensive/heavy it is, it may just be easier to bring the "pre-zombies" to a series of centralized "zombie factories" rather than move the fluid to where it's needed.

This is also part of why the effectiveness of the individual zombies is important. If you need to make expensive fluid (potentially from materials otherwise used in production of other war materiel), then send it out / send people to it, potentially also having to move trainloads of zombies as well, it may not be worth doing unless the zombies are as or more useful than a regular soldier. There's also the second edge of the morale/psychological impact. Can you have mixed units of zombies and living humans, or will the unit's morale be dangerously eroded? Do the zombies decay? If you have shambling, rotting corpses around you may need to isolate the zombie troops for fear of them killing all your normal soldiers by proxy, since they spread disease everywhere.

I was thinking of (thanks to redwizard) a gas based deployment using rocket artillery. The zombies are uncontrollable, and are mindless kill bots who wander towards the nearest uninfected target to bite/claw/[mutation ideas here]. In essence, the zombies are weaponized people.

On a side note about them: I don't know how or if the Finns survive the Winter War. I guess that's up for a campaign to decide.

Andor13
2018-03-05, 07:57 PM
Steampunk-cybernetics feels like a really weird direction for isolation period Japan to go. This is the same period where they successfully removed firearms from use as weapons of war internally (by taxing the crap out of them.)

It would seem more believable to me if they developed some kind of meditation/training based super-soldiers via unlocking human potential/psionics. Of course this has overlap with the American super soldiers unless they draw on very different power sets. Or possibly tap into Japanese mythology and have this due to Tengu/Oni/etc. training, and of course the Tengu could be another alien faction (see Urusai Yatsura for an anime where all of Japanese mythology are actually aliens.) Or really tap into the mythology and have Shinto monks summoning Oni to serve as heavy troopers while sending Baku to creep through the dreams of enemy commanders and steal their secrets.

Just my 2¢, YMMV.

PersonMan
2018-03-06, 12:57 PM
I was thinking of (thanks to redwizard) a gas based deployment using rocket artillery. The zombies are uncontrollable, and are mindless kill bots who wander towards the nearest uninfected target to bite/claw/[mutation ideas here]. In essence, the zombies are weaponized people.

Then it mostly comes down to how effective the gas is, in terms of delivery (can it be effectively delivered by rocket artillery, or do the rockets hit the ground and send a bunch of zombie-gas right into a crater?), impact (i.e. how fast does it take effect, how high of a dose do you need, etc.) and "counterability" (will breaking out the old gas masks work? Will making new ones work?).

You'll probably want a balance of strengths and weaknesses there, because otherwise you could end up with a situation where the Soviet zombie-gas just wrecks anyone they fight against or where it's useless.

Mr Beer
2018-03-07, 10:27 PM
Zombie gas sounds like something the Red Army would have used in retreat from the Wehrmacht, as part of their scorched earth policy. Not only does Operation Barbarossa run into problems with lengthy supply lines through a vast territory with drastically reduced food and shelter, but now it's also full of shambling undead.

Of course in real history that territory was full of armed partisans who were presumably more effective than mindless zombies so it might be something of a wash.

tomandtish
2018-03-08, 03:00 PM
Depends on just how scorched you want your earth to be.

Use a gas/virus that combines the "fast attack zombie" (28 Days later, World War Z, etc.) with the "every one who dies is turned regardless of how they die (a la Walking Dead).

Combine that with the harsh Russian winters and some over-extended supply lines....

Of course, how your own side deals with it later on could be a problem itself.

8BitNinja
2018-03-08, 08:02 PM
Steampunk-cybernetics feels like a really weird direction for isolation period Japan to go. This is the same period where they successfully removed firearms from use as weapons of war internally (by taxing the crap out of them.)

It would seem more believable to me if they developed some kind of meditation/training based super-soldiers via unlocking human potential/psionics. Of course this has overlap with the American super soldiers unless they draw on very different power sets. Or possibly tap into Japanese mythology and have this due to Tengu/Oni/etc. training, and of course the Tengu could be another alien faction (see Urusai Yatsura for an anime where all of Japanese mythology are actually aliens.) Or really tap into the mythology and have Shinto monks summoning Oni to serve as heavy troopers while sending Baku to creep through the dreams of enemy commanders and steal their secrets.

Just my 2¢, YMMV.

It sounds like a good idea. Maybe the Japanese have access to techniques to control Ki energy, and they have trained certain soldiers to use it. Maybe the soldiers trained in it resemble some form of Edo era Japan (warrior monks or samurai? Maybe both?)

It sounds similar to America, except that Japan is using a secret science disguised mysticism from a seemingly forgotten era while America is pumping soldiers full of alien roids.

Andor13
2018-03-08, 11:08 PM
It sounds like a good idea. Maybe the Japanese have access to techniques to control Ki energy, and they have trained certain soldiers to use it. Maybe the soldiers trained in it resemble some form of Edo era Japan (warrior monks or samurai? Maybe both?)

It sounds similar to America, except that Japan is using a secret science disguised mysticism from a seemingly forgotten era while America is pumping soldiers full of alien roids.

There are several directions to take it.. For warrior monks you have the yamabushi and sohei traditions. The samurai of course. And, if you feel like it, ninjas.

Given that rival sects of sohei fought on all sides during the Sengoku period, and through the transition to the Edo period you might call it a wash historically, except for the invention and refinement of the Ki powers, but it really depends on how much work you want to put into researching and altering Japanese history that takes place 400 years before your game starts.

Remember that the Edo era only ended in 1868 when Admiral Perry reopened trade with Japan, just 45 years before WW 1. There would have been plenty of chances for the Japanese to see how their Ninjas/Samurai/Sohei/Yamabushi faired against modern threats during the Great War, and to integrate the lessons learned before WW 2 starts. I would guess that the majority of their forces would be very much like the actual Japanese Imperial forces of the period using modern military technology while you have an elite forces consisting of the Ki warriors. There would no doubt be a fierce rivalry between the two.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-03-09, 03:36 AM
I myself would not be able to resist giving Japan some form of power armor/small mecha, based heavily on samurai-style armor of course. But because of the close fit of the armor they can't be used in combination with firearms very well, the heat from the engine already has nowhere to go and it's really taxing the suit to the limit. (Not the best excuse science wise maybe, but probably necessary balance wise, and with some basis in reality, like the failure of the 3 ton tank (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_3-Ton_M1918).)

8BitNinja
2018-03-13, 11:36 AM
There are several directions to take it.. For warrior monks you have the yamabushi and sohei traditions. The samurai of course. And, if you feel like it, ninjas.

Given that rival sects of sohei fought on all sides during the Sengoku period, and through the transition to the Edo period you might call it a wash historically, except for the invention and refinement of the Ki powers, but it really depends on how much work you want to put into researching and altering Japanese history that takes place 400 years before your game starts.

Remember that the Edo era only ended in 1868 when Admiral Perry reopened trade with Japan, just 45 years before WW 1. There would have been plenty of chances for the Japanese to see how their Ninjas/Samurai/Sohei/Yamabushi faired against modern threats during the Great War, and to integrate the lessons learned before WW 2 starts. I would guess that the majority of their forces would be very much like the actual Japanese Imperial forces of the period using modern military technology while you have an elite forces consisting of the Ki warriors. There would no doubt be a fierce rivalry between the two.

I think this makes more sense than my original idea. It also gives each side a more subtle piece of super technology, as opposed to Britain and Germany, who have power armor and space ships in the 1940s.

8BitNinja
2018-03-13, 11:38 AM
Depends on just how scorched you want your earth to be.

Use a gas/virus that combines the "fast attack zombie" (28 Days later, World War Z, etc.) with the "every one who dies is turned regardless of how they die (a la Walking Dead).

Combine that with the harsh Russian winters and some over-extended supply lines....

Of course, how your own side deals with it later on could be a problem itself.

I was thinking of something like this. Maybe having something like Left 4 Dead, where there are zombies that are slow and dumb, but then others that develop mutations.

Gravitron5000
2018-03-13, 12:34 PM
How about the Swiss getting alien force field technology? It would really help seal their borders with all this other fancy tech flying all over the place.

JestingManiac
2018-03-13, 03:51 PM

Just my 2¢, YMMV.

this could work really well especially if you go more tech based with the american super soldiers. less captain america more nuke to keep with the superhero theme (nuke was a daredevil villain who constantly took drugs to stay insanely strong, insanely durable and insane in general(was simmons in the jessica jones show))

also the bit with russian zombies would make POW camps terrifying and would drastically change the shape of the espionage portion. both as a scare tactic and as a weapon of last resort cyanide capsule sort of thing.

8BitNinja
2018-03-15, 06:52 PM
How about the Swiss getting alien force field technology? It would really help seal their borders with all this other fancy tech flying all over the place.

I could see Switzerland as a European version of Wakanda in this alternative universe involving super tech. I think that if they had any form of tech, it would be a force field.

Gravitron5000
2018-03-16, 08:56 AM
I could see Switzerland as a European version of Wakanda in this alternative universe involving super tech. I think that if they had any form of tech, it would be a force field.

There is something amusing about conflating this:
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-679497c0bff6ccbf33b2afaeedacf0ed-c
with this:
https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/9/03/537ba26276348.jpg
:smallbiggrin:

8BitNinja
2018-03-17, 10:59 PM
There is something amusing about conflating this:
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-679497c0bff6ccbf33b2afaeedacf0ed-c
with this:
https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/9/03/537ba26276348.jpg
:smallbiggrin:

The Swiss Guard have gone down in history as one of the best military forces made, as well as being the oldest surviving one. Maybe getting hold of all that Vibranium was the reason.