PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monster Hunter™ Campaign?

GreatWyrmGold
2018-02-23, 08:55 PM
The other day, one of my gaming buddies mentioned wanting to play a brief campaign inspired by the Monster Hunter games. I've never played them, but I have watched Extra Credits's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmHYwVODIU) on the series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHz3xh2cfTM), so I have some idea of what the games are like. Most of all, I realize that their core appeal (built around learning the attack patterns of weapons and monsters, then using them to craft second-by-second tactics to take them down) does not translate very well to typical TRPGs. It would essentially be a bunch of big slog-fests against some of the dullest boss monsters in the game. People who like TRPG combat might enjoy it, but while said gaming buddy is one of those, he realizes that not everyone in the group is.

So...I have a couple of questions about this potential campaign on his behalf. On one hand, is there any way to make this work? How would you make combat against giant monsters work using (say) D&D rules? On the other hand, are there any systems which are designed specifically for this kind of experience?

CharonsHelper
2018-02-23, 09:12 PM
A few things -

1. You COULD have something like the attack pattern if you had various monsters have weaknesses to figure out. Like chopping of the hydra's heads and burning them - only make it all but impossible to beat WITHOUT doing that.

2. From what I understand, the other major pillar of Monster Hunter is using the pieces of the monsters you kill to make better gear. This could be done by making normal magic gear not exist - but really awesome if made from monster parts.

RazorChain
2018-02-23, 11:33 PM
I would take a page from the witcher.

1) Identify the monster. Find out strenghts and weaknesses.

2) Prepare. Utilize the monsters weaknesses or prepare for it's strengths. Make a trap or ambush

3) Fight

Durkoala
2018-02-24, 09:00 AM
There's also a (little) bit more to the game than "pummel this monster". For example, a big aspect of the gameplay is preparation. You need your healing potions, your antidotes, your various escape bombs, your actual bombs, your tracking devices, traps, items to buff and maintain your weapons and a few miscellanous items for other purposes. Of course, you don't need all of these and having too many things in your bag can be a detriment, so choosing what to bring with you is an important skill.

It's also possible to craft or find certain items in the field, so some kind of skill check(s) could be a useful ability for a player who likes to travel light. This does bring the risk of not be able to have the item you need on hand when you need it, especially for more complicated items. Most non-weapon or armour items are breakable or consumable, so managing resources gets very important too.

The lore might be worth looking into too. There's a large backstory that doesn't get much mention in the games. I don't know it well myself, but the games take place in the distant aftermath of a war between humaniod and draconian civilisations. The player characters are descendants of supersoldiers from that war, as are a few other races.

The best thing to do is to ask your player what aspects of the game he wants to see represented.
What comes to my mind for a game based around hunting is to make each hunt more of a Stern Chase: a long build up of tracking the monster and observing/researching its weaknesses and abilities as it moves for a few days or weeks, with the occasional battle encounter, either with it or another monster. There could also be encounters with ancient ruins, wandering merchants, fellow hunters or other things. Eventually, the players corner the beast, defeat it and are rewarded with new gear* and money. There could be a stage of getting themselves and/or the captured or dead monster (parts) back to civilisation, but eventually they celebrate at the tavern. Then they get up and get ready for the next hunt...

Anyway, it's an idea. Hopefully, it's helpful!

*Monster Hunter is a notoriously grindy game, so you're probably best off being generous with how much craftng materials they can earn from a single monster if your players don't want the 'authentic experience'.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-02-24, 09:40 AM
Play Monster of the Week.