PDA

View Full Version : Variant Settings

kkortekaas
2007-08-28, 10:20 AM
Hey people, lately I've been getting a bit tired with the classic D&D d20 settings (be it Ebberron, Forgotten Realms, or Grayhawk) and I've been hunting for something more. I've also got some extra cash at the moment so I wouldn't be adverse to splurging.

I just picked up a couple Dragonstar products and was wondering if anyone had any crazy OGL d20 settings floating around out their that are cool? (preferably something I can actually purchase and have a physical copy of)

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-08-28, 10:21 AM
The Kingdoms of Kalamar setting by KenzerCo is pretty good-they've put some thought into the setting. My favorite thing, however, is the fact that they've got an atlas that shows extremely in-depth maps for the entire world.

Attilargh
2007-08-28, 10:31 AM
Iron Kingdoms, with its guns and steampunk aesthetics is pretty damn cool. It's got a good metaplot that is always moving, and the attention to detail is just astonishing.

It also has rules for armoured coats, so go get the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide already!

rollfrenzy
2007-08-28, 10:35 AM
I second the IK books, I love the setting, of course no one in my group will run it...:smallfurious:

Although I am interested in some other settings as well...

<lurks>

Well come on people!

<taps foot while lurking>

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-08-28, 10:35 AM
Iron Kingdoms by Privateer Press remains a favorite of mine. Fairly unique setting, a good overall metaplot, and many unanswered questions to explore, still. The published materials for the world is fairly low compared to Forgotten Realms or Eberron. The advantage is that one needn't spend a lot to get up-to-date. The disadvantage is less to build on, initially.

Another downside will be that if you don't plan on investing anything on their Miniature game material, then you'll essentially getting the metaplot second-hand, as the Miniature game has been the prime mover of this plot. Of course, no one says you have to follow the plot religiously or even at all.

Overlard
2007-08-28, 10:46 AM
The Kyngdoms (http://www.thekyngdoms.com) is a good OGL setting. It's mostly free online too (but you can buy the books if you want something at the table).

SilverClawShift
2007-08-28, 12:00 PM
If it were finished, I'd pimp my groups Dustlands setting :smallbiggrin:

Is your heart set on D20? There's always Shadowrun or World of Darkness if not.

UserClone
2007-08-28, 01:38 PM
Check out Horizons (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/hr06.html) by Fantasy Flight games, creators of Dragonstar. My favorite is Grimm, though I really like the fast-and-loose action of Spellslinger. They are very short books, but each is its own different game, providing you have the D20 system Core books. Kinda awesome. Personally, I bought the whole collection. Not bad for $45.

MostlyHarmless
2007-08-28, 01:47 PM
And if it were finished I'd pimp this playground's Tears of Blood setting. If you'd like to playtest what we have, you're welcome to.

I've also been a fan of the Oriental Adventures Rokugan but haven't found a group to play it yet.

squishycube
2007-08-28, 01:56 PM
A good low magic/no magic setting is Iron Heroes by Monte Cook.

Thinker
2007-08-28, 02:09 PM
A good low magic/no magic setting is Iron Heroes by Monte Cook.

Its not by Monte Cook. Its now owned by Fiery Dragon Productions, Adam Windsor's company, and was originally owned by Malhavoc Press, Cook's company. It was written by Mike Mearls, Cook, and Windsor. Mearls is also now working on 4e DnD.

TheThan
2007-08-28, 02:28 PM
May I suggest DarkSun (http://www.athas.org/)

kkortekaas
2007-08-28, 02:30 PM
Dude, it's in my sig, of course I know Darksun.

Matthew
2007-08-29, 08:06 PM
Maybe Spelljammer? That makes for a very different setting.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-30, 10:14 AM
A Game of Thrones is pretty interesting and very low magic compared to a regular game. Standard diplomacy tweaked down. LA for being a member of a powerful organization.

Some interesting things are the classes and influence points for interacting with NPCs.