PDA

View Full Version : Magic equipment that enhances strength checks to burst things

daremetoidareyo
2018-02-23, 11:58 PM
What it says on the tin, folks. I'm looking to make a character that can break things using strength checks. any magic equipment come to mind?

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-24, 12:16 AM
Maul of the Titans (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mauloftheTitans) deals triple damage against inanimate objects.

daremetoidareyo
2018-02-24, 12:34 AM
Maul of the Titans (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mauloftheTitans) deals triple damage against inanimate objects.

it needs to be a bonus to the check to burst doors and things like that, not a bonus to attack things better.

But thanks for the help

daremetoidareyo
2018-02-24, 12:53 AM
I just found the crowbar! +2 circumstance bonus. and you can make it masterwork so that it's only -3 to hit in combat!

ShurikVch
2018-02-24, 07:04 AM
Netcutter Spikes (Races of the Wild): +4 circumstance bonus on Strength checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape from a net, a web spell, or a similar entangling effect; 200 gp
Strongarm Capsule (Complete Adventurer): +1 alchemical bonus on Strength checks; 2 rounds, at the end the user becomes fatigued; 125 gp
Belt of the Champion (Magic Item Compendium): +5 competence bonus on Strength checks; 4500 gp; Relic - user must worship Kord and either sacrifice a 3rd-leveldivine spell slot or have the True Believer feat and at least 5 HD
Armbands of Might (Magic Item Compendium): +2 bonus on Strength checks; 4100 gp
Panic Button, Strengthening (Complete Scoundrel): +5 bonus on all Strength checks made in the next round; 750 gp
Brute Gauntlets (Magic Item Compendium): gives (+1 to +4 - depends on number of charges spent) morale bonus to Str checks for 1 round; 500 gp
Eagle Claw Talisman (Magic Item Compendium): +5 competence bonus on the next Str check you make to break or burst an item; 3/day; 1000 gp
Third Eye Surge (Magic Item Compendium): grants you an insight bonus on Strength checks (+2 to +4 - depends on number of charges spent) for 1 round; 2100 gp
Torc of the Titans (Magic Item Compendium): +5 morale bonus on Strength checks for 1 round; 3/day; 3300 gp
Gauntlet of Fury (Magic of Faerūn): one of it's powers allow to 1-time automatic 50 on Str check; after that, the gauntlet will crumble into dust; 22000 gp

Also, if your character is (Dragonblood) or Dragon, any item of Dragonblood Affinity spell (Dragons of Faerūn) will give +2 on ability checks for 1 minute/level

DeTess
2018-02-24, 07:14 AM
it needs to be a bonus to the check to burst doors and things like that, not a bonus to attack things better.

Doors have HP and Hardness (damage reduction), so you can very much attack them. Whenever I play a martial character I have some form of big hammer as a back-up for breaking down barriers and the like.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-24, 08:34 AM
Doors have HP and Hardness (damage reduction), so you can very much attack them. Whenever I play a martial character I have some form of big hammer as a back-up for breaking down barriers and the like.

Nothing quite like using the Mountain Hammer series of Stone Dragon strikes from Tome of Battle while wielding a Maul of the Titans. You get +2d6/6d6/12d6 damage depending on the level of the maneuver, automatically overcome hardness, and do triple damage against inanimate objects. Hulk SMASH!!! :smallbiggrin:

Sunder checks all require you to deal with hardness and do damage. The rules for breakding open chains, manacles, doors, chests, etc. all require you to overcome hardness and do damage. There really aren't a lot of times when you are doing a strength check to break things when a bonus to damage isn't useful.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-24, 09:30 AM
It's not equipment, but the Dungeoncrasher Fighter ACF (DS) grants a bonus for breaking stuff.

Sunder checks all require you to deal with hardness and do damage. The rules for breakding open chains, manacles, doors, chests, etc. all require you to overcome hardness and do damage. There really aren't a lot of times when you are doing a strength check to break things when a bonus to damage isn't useful.

That's actually not true. Breaking things with damage (sundering) and breaking things with brute strength are two different things.
See the rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#breakingAndEntering).
Specifically this part:

Breaking Items

When a character tries to break something with sudden force rather than by dealing damage, use a Strength check (rather than an attack roll and damage roll, as with the sunder special attack) to see whether he or she succeeds. The DC depends more on the construction of the item than on the material.
Walls and doors generally have a break DC listed, as do manacles and other restraints. And a lot of other stuff.

Not that it comes up often. You need a Str of at least 40 to just have a chance of breaking a (masonry) wall, on a 20. It's a lot easier to just mountain hammer it down.

daremetoidareyo
2018-02-24, 12:01 PM
Netcutter Spikes (Races of the Wild): +4 circumstance bonus on Strength checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape from a net, a web spell, or a similar entangling effect; 200 gp
Strongarm Capsule (Complete Adventurer): +1 alchemical bonus on Strength checks; 2 rounds, at the end the user becomes fatigued; 125 gp
Belt of the Champion (Magic Item Compendium): +5 competence bonus on Strength checks; 4500 gp; Relic - user must worship Kord and either sacrifice a 3rd-leveldivine spell slot or have the True Believer feat and at least 5 HD
Armbands of Might (Magic Item Compendium): +2 bonus on Strength checks; 4100 gp
Panic Button, Strengthening (Complete Scoundrel): +5 bonus on all Strength checks made in the next round; 750 gp
Brute Gauntlets (Magic Item Compendium): gives (+1 to +4 - depends on number of charges spent) morale bonus to Str checks for 1 round; 500 gp
Eagle Claw Talisman (Magic Item Compendium): +5 competence bonus on the next Str check you make to break or burst an item; 3/day; 1000 gp
Third Eye Surge (Magic Item Compendium): grants you an insight bonus on Strength checks (+2 to +4 - depends on number of charges spent) for 1 round; 2100 gp
Torc of the Titans (Magic Item Compendium): +5 morale bonus on Strength checks for 1 round; 3/day; 3300 gp
Gauntlet of Fury (Magic of Faerūn): one of it's powers allow to 1-time automatic 50 on Str check; after that, the gauntlet will crumble into dust; 22000 gp

Also, if your character is (Dragonblood) or Dragon, any item of Dragonblood Affinity spell (Dragons of Faerūn) will give +2 on ability checks for 1 minute/level

Shuri, I know nothing about you, but I love you

Bohandas
2018-02-25, 03:44 AM
I just found the crowbar! +2 circumstance bonus. and you can make it masterwork so that it's only -3 to hit in combat!
and for 12000 gp (lv2 spell x lv3 caster x 2000 gp continuous effect) you could have it radiate silence which would not only aid in breaking and entering but also give your character a Gordon Freeman vibe