PDA

View Full Version : Binders

TimeWizard
2007-08-28, 11:13 AM
Dr. Faust, meet Mephistophecles. I'm sure you two will get along.

The Binder, practioner of pact magic. Alternate melee combatant able to adjust to the day's needs. I love the sound of it, and the flavor is delicious, but are they useful (to the party) and/or fun to play?

GimliFett
2007-08-28, 11:17 AM
I'm playing one in a Savage Tide game right now. They're lotso fun, but don't really hit their stride till 8th level and the ability to bind 2 vestiges at once. For sheer versatility and variety, I think they're awesome. And the flavor is greatness, too.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-08-28, 11:26 AM
They are a decent hybrid class. It takes a little foresight to use them, especially at the early levels. With the proper feats and manipulation you can be a little more versatile. It's a fun class with a very good concept. Probably my favorite from that book.

slexlollar89
2007-08-28, 11:35 AM
yeah they are awesome, even with the few vestiges available. on WoTC, there is a forum of homebrew vestiges, there are like 150+ vestiges, and they are awesome. seriously i think someone did a Mario vestige, and stuff like that:smallsmile:

Fishies
2007-08-28, 11:59 AM
yeah they are awesome, even with the few vestiges available. on WoTC, there is a forum of homebrew vestiges, there are like 150+ vestiges, and they are awesome. seriously i think someone did a Mario vestige, and stuff like that:smallsmile:

Reminds me of Pokemon.

slexlollar89
2007-08-28, 12:13 PM
Binder: orthos, i choose you!
orthos: ...
Binder: uhm, so do we... uh... we got a dal or what?

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-28, 02:44 PM
I think they're a very interesting and fairly unique class. I'm thinking about playing one in a friend's upcoming game.

Has anyone created a guide to binders yet?

There are a few homebrewed vestiges here in the playground. Here's my first attempt: Vestige of Shabranigdo, level 8 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54678)

GimliFett
2007-08-28, 02:49 PM
Here's (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=605415) the one I used to reference most.

As far as homebrewed vestiges go, I've been working on a couple to round out the core race Vestiges (Aym, Leraje, Halphax, among others; working on a halfling and a half-orc). Seems to me most homebrewed Vestiges are upper levels and the lower ones are...goofy...

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-28, 04:45 PM
GimliFett, you a one of the Dark Lords of Awesome. Thanks for the link!

GimliFett
2007-08-28, 04:49 PM
:bows: You're welcome, OverdrivePrime. My pleasure.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-28, 05:57 PM
I really find there not that great at high levels, they start to loss there good combat skills past lvl 7-8, but for flavor and skill at low level theres nothing better

Xaros
2007-08-28, 05:58 PM
Here's (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=605415) the one I used to reference most.

As far as homebrewed vestiges go, I've been working on a couple to round out the core race Vestiges (Aym, Leraje, Halphax, among others; working on a halfling and a half-orc). Seems to me most homebrewed Vestiges are upper levels and the lower ones are...goofy...

Somebody did a compilation here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=784085) that seems to incorporate most of what was in the original.

TimeWizard
2007-08-31, 01:34 PM
Here's my first attempt: Vestige of Shabranigdo, level 8 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54678)

Was that a Slayers reference?

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-31, 01:36 PM
Was that a Slayers reference?

Guilty as charged. :smallredface:

mabriss lethe
2007-08-31, 02:36 PM
I've found a truly horrific combination that's amazingly fun to play, especially at lower levels.

Go with a human warlock, pick one of the SLA feats from Complete Arcane (Necropolis Born is a favorite of mine). For the other feat, pick...I forget its name, pact binder, soul binder... something like that. The feat that gives non-binders a taste of the class by allowing them limited access to vestiges. You pick up some truly useful abilities that synch up really well with a warlock by alleviating the need to choose certain practical low level invocations. (darkvision comes to mind.) That way you can focus on the abilities you want instead of the abilities you need. Since both warlocks and binders are pretty much universally hated, you really aren't losing anything from a diplomatic front.

GimliFett
2007-08-31, 02:42 PM
Yeah the Bind Vestige feats are actually pretty nice touches, though a couple are WAY underpowered. Fer instance, imagine a Fighter (or Cleric) who can bind Savnok for that armor? Whoo-hoo! :smallbiggrin: I've considered trying it myself, though you'd be stuck with the influence nearly every time, given you'll rarely make good pacts.

For three feats you can bind a vestige and gain two powers as if you were a 5th level Binder. Savnok would give you +1 full plate and DR2/piercing. And a human fighter can do this at 3rd level: 1st Level- Bind Vestige, Human Bonus- Improved Bind Vestige; 3rd- Practiced Binder.

Dahlver-Nar would probably be my second choice for the Natural Armor bonus (fighters tend to have good Con, so...).