PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder My Sorcerer bloodline grants me a spell I can't cast.

MonkeySage
2018-02-24, 03:35 AM
I'm a sorcerer 5/dragon disciple 6, and my bloodline grants me Spell Resistance. That's a 5th level cleric spell, and isn't even listed for sorcerers and wizards. I can only assume it'd be 5th level for them too, but the problem is that I can't cast 5th level spells. So what should I do?

Florian
2018-02-24, 03:47 AM
I'm a sorcerer 5/dragon disciple 6, and my bloodline grants me Spell Resistance. That's a 5th level cleric spell, and isn't even listed for sorcerers and wizards. I can only assume it'd be 5th level for them too, but the problem is that I can't cast 5th level spells. So what should I do?

Bloodlines, Domains, Shaman Spirits and Witch Patrons tend to give you access to spells that are not normally on your class spell list. When that happens and the spell doesn't have contradicting rules, then you're to consider the spell on you class list on the regular level. So in case of the Draconic bloodline, you can assume that Spell Resistance is a level 5 arcane spell for your character (only).
If you get a spell known that you can´t cast yet, you have to wait until your spellcasting is advanced enough to do so. On the positive side, even an unusable spell known is now on your list and you can use scrolls with the spell.

TheFamilarRaven
2018-02-24, 03:47 AM
The Blood of the Dragons class feature says this:

This ability does not grant bonus spells to a sorcerer unless he possesses spell slots of an appropriate level. Such bonus spells are automatically granted if the sorcerer gains spell slots of the spell’s level.

So you don't even know the spell until you can cast 5th level spells.

grarrrg
2018-02-24, 03:53 AM
Bloodlines, Domains, Shaman Spirits and Witch Patrons tend to give you access to spells that are not normally on your class spell list. When that happens and the spell doesn't have contradicting rules, then you're to consider the spell on you class list on the regular level. So in case of the Draconic bloodline, you can assume that Spell Resistance is a level 5 arcane spell for your character (only).

Underlined part isn't quite right.

It's hard to explain without a solid example, so we'll use the FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9oyl)

Sorcerer: Is the aquatic sorcerer bloodline (page 136) supposed to get geyser as a bonus spell at sorcerer level 9, even though that’s normally a 5th-level sorcerer/wizard spell and unavailable to sorcerers before caster level 10?

Yes, and the sorcerer learns it as a 4th-level spell. Note that geyser is also a 4th-level druid spell (available at character level 7), so the aquatic sorcerer gaining it at character level 9 as a 4th-level arcane spell isn’t too powerful.

Basically, Sorcerer bloodlines grant 9 bonus spells, one for each spell-level. Whatever 'equivalent spell level' you get the spell at is what the spell counts as.
So regardless of where Spell Resistance is on other class's lists (or even if it was on the Sorcerer list already), if it's the 5th Bloodline Spell, then it's a 5th level spell for you.
Similar bonus spells from other classes (Mystery, Patron, etc...) work the same.

Florian
2018-02-24, 04:03 AM
Underlined part isn't quite right.

*Points towards Dragon Disciple and the case of a bloodline advancing faster than CL*

MonkeySage
2018-02-24, 04:17 AM
Alright, that makes sense- it's a bit odd, but it makes sense. I think next level my CL does advance enough for it.

grarrrg
2018-02-24, 04:20 AM
*Points towards Dragon Disciple and the case of a bloodline advancing faster than CL*

Just being thorough.