PDA

View Full Version : RPG withdrawl symptoms

slexlollar89
2007-08-28, 11:49 AM
hello forum-goers!

i need some help (not because i am mental or anything, cuz i am not...). i just got out of high school, and moved to the USA after living abroad for 10+ years. mu proble s that i wan to find a group to play DnD with, but dont know how to go about it.

i am going through RPG withdrawl, and am becoming increasingly bored, PLEASE HELP!

also, hanks in advance for all th suggestions, even if i dont like them (the thought counts, and makes bearing the withdrawl easier)

StickMan
2007-08-28, 11:59 AM
Well you can always find an online group on this board on the Finding players (Recruitment) Tread or on the Wizards gamer classified board. Also look up your local comic book/game supply stores sometimes they run games or if they do not if you hang out around the DND books long enough and strike up a conversation with people sometimes you'll get invited its happened to me before. Some stores even let you post a high I'm looking for a game flier.

slexlollar89
2007-08-28, 12:07 PM
there arent any gaming/nerd/guys like me stores around that i know of... and i was looking for a tabletop group. i am playing an online game, but it just isnt the same, in a bad way for me.

Hunter Noventa
2007-08-28, 01:50 PM
Investigate your local colleges/universities.They tend to have a club dedicated to all kinds of gaming.

Jayabalard
2007-08-28, 02:05 PM
You might consider posting a very general location for yourself; where in the country you are or maybe even the state. Who knows, someone may be able to give you a good reference of where to check

beyond that:
-Check your local colleges and universities; they usually have gaming clubs.
-Check around for a Friendly local gaming stores; the good ones often have a "back room" where people can get together and play. They may also be able to point you in the direction of any local gaming clubs.

de-trick
2007-08-28, 03:05 PM
You can always start your own group, sure it's annoying to find people, teach them, and DM at first but within a year you should be able to start playing

Dausuul
2007-08-28, 04:05 PM
You might consider posting a very general location for yourself; where in the country you are or maybe even the state. Who knows, someone may be able to give you a good reference of where to check

Beyond that, what are you currently doing in the rest of your life? Going to college? Working? Living in parents' basement? All of the above? This will have a big impact on your opportunities to meet local gamers.

Bottom line, though, is that if you live in a town of any size, it's almost certain that there are other gamers somewhere in your vicinity.

slexlollar89
2007-08-28, 09:53 PM
i live in a dorm at florida atlantic university in boca raton, if that helps anyone. i really would like to find gamers, but the problem is that i feel odd just asking people "yo man, you play DnD? cuz im looking for a group of people to play in."

maube it's just me, but that is weird. as far as i know, there are no gaming groups (official ones) on campus.

tannish2
2007-08-28, 11:28 PM
start asking about unofficial ones, or put on a ski mask and ask "hey im looking for a group of people to play D&D with can you help me?" actually that may be a stupid one, but it cant hurt to try it anyway (except for socially, physically, economically, psycologically, and legally)

or try to start one

horseboy
2007-08-28, 11:53 PM
If you're on campus, they usually have boards for students. Put a couple of fliers on there, saying you're interested in a D&D game and your phone #. I've seen several games get started that way.

Kizara
2007-08-28, 11:54 PM
If there is any kind of community 'post-it' board in your College? If so, print off some notices advertising you are looking to start up a group.

Make sure you familiarize yourself a bit with the rules, and have the 'core 3' books needed to play. Also, I would take a care to use better spelling/grammar/diction then you have displayed in your posting here, or noone will take you seriously.

Also, bare in mind that a post-by-post RPG on these boards is nothing at all like playing Diablo 2 or WoW: it's actual Roleplaying, if often a bit shallow.

EDIT: *Shoots the horse-ninja in the head*

slexlollar89
2007-08-29, 12:34 AM
i understand all of that, and have been playing DnD for at least 3 years, but grammer isnt my thing... its too... annoying.

but i think i will make a couple flyers, that is an awesome idea!
(i dont know why i didnt think of that before!!)

but as a sidenote, if i have to resort to starting a group, does anyone have any usefultips (or munchkin repellant)?

Gaelbert
2007-08-29, 12:46 AM
[Scrubbed]

Sorry, can't really help you about the RPG situation. I live in California.

Ravyn
2007-08-29, 01:15 AM
If you aren't afraid of the odd glances you're going to get, I recommend openly displaying your gear. There was a group I was in my senior year of high school that practically doubled in size because I had my books out and was helping someone with chargen in the library during lunch and people kept walking by and going "this looks interesting". And let's face it, pulling out your dice when your teacher is inadvertently demonstrating that he really can't draw platonic solids is the fastest way of telling other closet gamers what you are--or at least might be.

For finding new people--one of my old GMs told me that, particularly if you're looking for a story and characterization-driven game, the best people to look at are writers, actors, and musicians. (There was one other group, but I can't remember what it was.) After all, all those sorts of things really are is collaborative fiction/team improv with dice. One thing you might also want to do is look for clubs for other geeky pursuits--for instance, for my last three years of college my game group has been the core of the anime club, and I know I've seen other groups based out of some of the other SpecFic-heavy hobbies.

Unless you've tried all facets of it, I'd recommend not closing off online gaming as an option just yet. If, for instance, you've tried PbPs but have problems with the pacing, I recommend seeing if you can find a chat-based group--I've played over both AIM and IRC, and I find it to have almost all the advantages of a face-to-face game--and a few extra perks, like the option of logging and the ability to color-code NPC dialogue.

On a side note: Typographical mistakes aside, Kizara's right about the spelling and grammar. At least looking like you make an effort (capitalization, for one) tends to increase your stature in a lot of posters' eyes--the rationale being that it shows you respect the community enough to make the effort, particularly since it is possible to self-edit in this format--and copy-pasting into MS Word, if you have it, for spellcheck/grammar doesn't add that much to your time.

BardicDuelist
2007-08-29, 01:56 AM
For finding new people--one of my old GMs told me that, particularly if you're looking for a story and characterization-driven game, the best people to look at are writers, actors, and musicians. (There was one other group, but I can't remember what it was.) After all, all those sorts of things really are is collaborative fiction/team improv with dice.

Actually, that is the general composition of my group.

The only advice that I can give is that when you have friends over, leave some miniatures, books, dice, or whatever on the cofee/kitchen table. If some of your friends seem interested, that is a good place to start as they will feel more comfortable trying somthing new if they allready know you.

Check out the people that like fantasy movies. They tend to be open about trying D&D.

Kizara
2007-08-29, 02:01 AM
Emphasis and underlining mine.
Not saying you need to be perfect, but if you are going to tell someone to have better grammar, I would suggest you be darn well near perfect yourself. That done with, I am clearly not perfect, but if you at least make the effort, it's good enough for me.
Sorry, can't really help you about the RPG situation. I live in California.

Do you disagree with me? Do you feel I have an invalid point because of two REALLY minor mistakes (absense of that and noone instead of no-one, capitalization on Roleplaying was intentional to show empathsis)?

Do you feel that I didn't "make the effort" because of these two minor errors?

The difference between you and me is that I gave constructive advice [Scrubbed]

horseboy
2007-08-29, 02:29 AM
Not to mention OOTS t-shirts.

de-trick
2007-08-29, 10:46 AM
IF you start a group, make sure you are confident with the rules, and basic knowledge of D&D, so you look all powerful

slexlollar89
2007-08-29, 01:19 PM
Well, thanks for the tips, and the constuctive critisisms of my atrocious grammar (ues, you guys have changed my grammar for the better). i see your points about the writting and the DnD... i think i will post some papers with my phone# so people can call. Tehey might go like:

Looking for a group to DM, preferably 3.5

call ####

thanks!
With a semi vague message, the people who know what DnD is will understand and hopefully call, while those who do not understand will not care enough to call! its fooproof :smallsmile:

[Scrubbed]

Roland St. Jude
2007-08-29, 01:24 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Insults and attacks over grammar are still insults and attacks. We don't permit that here. Please stay constructive and stop attacking each other. Thanks.

Gaelbert
2007-08-29, 02:25 PM
Sorry. Looking back I realize that came out way harsher than I thought. I apologize for any and all misdoings. My bad.
You do have a perfectly valid point. You did make the effort, and I realize my post was contradicting itself.