PDA

View Full Version : Who else is looking forward for the return of....

The Hop Goblin
2007-08-28, 11:51 AM
...Hilgya? I'd like to see her come back and more of a plotline develop for Durkon. Honestly I was expecting her back before Comic #484.

Think this is a lost cause?

The Wanderer
2007-08-28, 11:54 AM
Yes, it is a lost cause. And for good reason.

She's been out of the plotline for 400 comics or so now. She probably served the author's purpose in the story. (A little character development for Durkon/letting us see just how lawful he is, jokes about clerics and dwarf sex). Let it go already.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-28, 12:04 PM
No. As in, I think Hilgya will be returning, but some things take time...

I'm convinced that Durkon, being a beginner, didn't have a "Dwarven Defender" in his wallet. After an enjoyable evening of BOOM CHICKA BOW WOW! Durkon finds out that Hilgya is married, and sends her away.

I think Hilgya is currently pregnant with Durkon's baby, and "Hell hath no fury..." and all that, we might be seeing the doom Durkon is supposed to bring upon his people. Since Durkon is returning posthumously, his son or daughter will be bringing the body, and whatever curse that was prophesized.

I've tried to figure out a timeline from Redmountain until present, but my best guess is between three and six months. And I might be aiming high...

And those are MY thoughts on the matter. Since the OP didn't put SPOILERS in the title to the thread, please spoiler any responses to by opinion. :smallsmile:

David Argall
2007-08-28, 03:32 PM
As said, the return of Hilgya, if it happens, is likely linked to her becoming a mother. This does not preclude her showing up, probably with a bulging belly, in the next strip, but one had best be prepared to wait until the party approaches the final gate, which seems to be in or near dwarf lands.

silvadel
2007-08-28, 04:02 PM
Would make for a neat distraction in a very important and frantic moment.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-08-28, 09:58 PM
...Hilgya? I'd like to see her come back and more of a plotline develop for Durkon. Honestly I was expecting her back before Comic #484.

Think this is a lost cause?

Well, you never know what Rich is going to do. While I feel there are more than enough storylines as it is, I guess she could always come back.

They just weren't that interesting a couple for me. And not only did she lie to him about the nature of the marriage, but she also tried to kill the poor guy. Not a good match for Durkon.

But I can definitely see her coming back to confront Durkon.

Ettlesby
2007-08-28, 10:09 PM
I'm guessing we'll see her again later on in the strip. Things have a tendency to come back from a long absence.

someonenonotyou
2007-08-28, 10:14 PM
i think that she will come back at that least likely moment
he did it with celina(sorry about spelling)"air fairy girl"
i dont think she be carring Durkon baby
any questions?

Setra
2007-08-28, 11:51 PM
If she comes back, so be it.

If not well, oh well.

Personally I'm still debating whether or not I want her to.

Sure it'd be dramatic, or somesuch... but I don't know if I like that kind of drama. I never was much for baby drama.

Elandegenerate
2007-08-29, 04:28 AM
its not "who's the father" drama and all that

but the fact that we have a cleric of thor, law , good all that; and he bedded a woman who is against all he stands for and , none the less, a worshiper of Loki, god of chaos, war , and trickery.

it reminds me of the relationship between Kitriana and Sturm Brightblade in Dragonlance. They where friends for many years, when alone they created a relationship. He was a pious Knight and all that stuff. Well she ended up seducing him, only to tell him afterwards that she only bedded him to stick it to him, which for a Young knight who seeks to be like the honorable one of old, was a horrible notion.

really main difference here is that Hyl actually liked Durkon, which will make it all the worse

Its one thing to have two people who cant be together because of the world around them, thats been done, but another thing for people to not be together because their hearts and souls are incompatable

Oh, and with Thor as the giver of his power (Thor being a powerful drunk womanizer) i think it would be impossible for durkon not to "hit the target", so to speak

Lyinginbedmon
2007-08-29, 05:36 AM
Well, she is a servant of the god of Chaos. I'm sure it would really spin things up. Most likely her husband would get rid of her for being unfaithful, assuming she went back home. In which case, she'd be delighted to see Durkon again, because she legged it from there in the first place because she hated the guy.

As for the whole papa issue, it has only been a few months, and dwarven pregnancies in D&D are unwritten as to length. Either way, they achieve maturity around age 40. That's very long for the comic to last, so if she does show up with kids at her ankles, Durkon is going to have a lot of good reasons to stay an adventurer :smallbiggrin:

Max_Sinister
2007-08-29, 05:55 AM
Hmm, how many months have passed since Durkon and Hilgya parted ways?

Let's see:
- One night spent in the dungeon
- Unspecified time to the little city - but can't be too much, they didn't even have a random encounter in between
- One night or so in said little city
- One night at the lair of the black dragon
- quite some time to load up the gold to the wagons (enough time for Miko to ride there from the southern lands). Maybe as long as Rich was absent due to his hand?

OK, pretty much unspecified.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-29, 07:40 AM
i think that she will come back at that least likely moment
he did it with celina(sorry about spelling)"air fairy girl"
i dont think she be carring Durkon baby
any questions?

Any Questions?
Durkon and Celia never got together in a romantic manner, that was Celia and Roy. So far, romatic coupling has been limited to:

Roy and Celia
Elan and Haley
Elan and Samantha
V and hir mate
Durkon and Hilgya
he Old Man and the Old Woman
Eugene and Violet (afterlife) (Edited for reasons best left unsaid. Although they were said below! YIKES!)
Eugene and Roy's mother (I don't know her name. Any help?)

Durkon makes it clear that it was his first time, which is why I don't think he had any "protection" handy. Thus my theory that Hilgya might be pregnant. And it also creates the possibility of Durkon's return bringing Doom upon his people when he returns. Thor's power, combined with Loki's chaos and trickery? Talk about a "Bad Seed."

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-29, 07:46 AM
Hmm, how many months have passed since Durkon and Hilgya parted ways?

Let's see:
- One night spent in the dungeon
- Unspecified time to the little city - but can't be too much, they didn't even have a random encounter in between
- One night or so in said little city
- One night at the lair of the black dragon
- quite some time to load up the gold to the wagons (enough time for Miko to ride there from the southern lands). Maybe as long as Rich was absent due to his hand?

OK, pretty much unspecified.

Don't forget the return trip to Azure City, the side trip (only two days as far as I can tell) to take out the ogres, plus a 5-6 day side trip to Cliffport.

I'm assuming between three to six months. Not long enough for Hilgya to give birth, but certianly long enough for her to realize that she is pregnant. And start getting bitter towards the man who loved her, then kicked her out.

NerfTW
2007-08-29, 07:55 AM
Surfing, I think he meant they brought Celia back when you least expected it, not that she was the one who boinged Durkon.

Roderick_BR
2007-08-29, 08:59 AM
It would be cool if she returned, but it's up to Rich's story.
Maybe Nale can track her again, but she would not want to hurt Durkon, only humiliate him, as she probably things he did to her.
By the end of that arc, they also didn't knew that they worshiped rival deities, I don't know if they'd get aware of it, or if they'd be oblivious to that fact as a running gag. But it's likely that, if they fight, they'd find it out, when they start casting spells, and call out their god's names.

Lizard Lord
2007-08-29, 09:10 AM
Well, you never know what Rich is going to do. While I feel there are more than enough storylines as it is, I guess she could always come back.

They just weren't that interesting a couple for me. And not only did she lie to him about the nature of the marriage, but she also tried to kill the poor guy. Not a good match for Durkon.

Is it really a lie if she believed what she was saying?

factotum
2007-08-29, 09:29 AM
Does it matter if she lied or not? The fact she admitted to trying to kill her husband wasn't ever likely to go down well with the ultra-Lawful Durkon...

Setra
2007-08-29, 01:00 PM
Does it matter if she lied or not? The fact she admitted to trying to kill her husband wasn't ever likely to go down well with the ultra-Lawful Durkon...
I don't think Lawful has much to do with the fact he's a bit upset at her trying to kill her husband.

That'd be the Good.

The Lawful is when he's against the fact she is still married, I think he'd be fine with her were she not.

SteveMB
2007-08-29, 01:04 PM
Any Questions?
Durkon and Celia never got together in a romantic manner, that was Celia and Roy. So far, romatic coupling has been limited to:

[snip]
Eugene and Julia (afterlife)

Er, you mean Eugene and Violet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0039.html). Julia is Eugene's daughter. :smallyuk:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-29, 01:48 PM
Er, you mean Eugene and Violet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0039.html). Julia is Eugene's daughter. :smallyuk:

YIKES! Major goof on my part! Edited my original post.