PDA

View Full Version : Is there any edition of D&D that allows you to Multi class as double cleric?

Suttle
2018-02-24, 06:17 PM
So I want to have a magic user who can both heal and inflict damage. This way he can control both life and death.

My plan was to multi class as double cleric, one who channels negative energy the other channels positive energy.

Maybe go mystic theurge as the prestige class?

But my DM said he's not sure if that would work mechanically.

Well, would it?

Pex
2018-02-24, 06:53 PM
In Pathfinder if you are a neutral cleric of a neutral deity you choose whether to channel positive or negative energy. You can take a feat that lets you also channel the other energy at 1d6 less. No multiclassing necessary. I don't know the name of the feat offhand.

Nifft
2018-02-24, 07:04 PM
In 3.5e the Inflict spells are pretty weak in combat, and the Cure spells are usually a poor choice in terms of combat actions, so I'd probably let you homebrew a feat specifically allowing you to do both, or even make up a special Domain ("Death's Gate" or something) for the same effect.

Malimar
2018-02-24, 07:21 PM
To my knowledge, there is no edition of D&D that lets you multiclass in the same class.

However, the above commenters have given you some options, and there is also this: in PF and 3.5, there are other classes that offer channeling. So in PF you could be, for example, a cleric/oracle, choosing to channel negative on the cleric side and pick the Life mystery for the oracle side.

redwizard007
2018-02-24, 07:30 PM
So I want to have a magic user who can both heal and inflict damage. This way he can control both life and death.

My plan was to multi class as double cleric, one who channels negative energy the other channels positive energy.

Well, would it?

Finding two gods with opposing portfolios and alignments that would share you... The fluff on this would be stretching things a bit. As far as RAW, I'm just not sure. Personally, I would allow it if we could make it work without raping the cosmology of the setting.

Advancement would be as if you were running 2 separate 2/3 BAB classes with good Will saves. Spells, turn, rebuke, everything would be like you were running 2 distinct classes. It could be fun in a low op game.

LordEntrails
2018-02-24, 08:04 PM
I agree with Redwizard, to me it's not about the game rules/mechanics, but rather about the role playing. The god of Death is going to be happy giving power to a cleric of the God of Life? Don't think so.

Why not just multi-class wizard (damage) and cleric of life (healing)? Your wizard can even be a necromancer if you want.

Suttle
2018-02-24, 08:44 PM
He'll be a cleric of a Philosophy.

he plans to create his own Philosophy that sees life and death not as opposites but as complementary forces. One doesn't exist without the other, only the balance of the two energies, life and entropy allows harmony.

redwizard007
2018-02-24, 08:54 PM
He'll be a cleric of a Philosophy.

he plans to create his own Philosophy that sees life and death not as opposites but as complementary forces. One doesn't exist without the other, only the balance of the two energies, life and entropy allows harmony.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a cleric of a philosophy channels energy based on his alignment. If so, that sticks you in one hole with no way to do the other (except cheese?)

I can see a home brew class pulling this off, but I'd expect gimped casting and BAB to balance the range of options you would have. Actually, this might be your best choice. Run cleric spells off a bard progression and channel energy of either type as a cleric of your level. Wiz BAB, good Will save, cleric weapon/armor proficiency, 4 skills per level... Actually, with nerfed casting you could do cleric BAB.

Anonymouswizard
2018-02-24, 09:04 PM
I agree with Redwizard, to me it's not about the game rules/mechanics, but rather about the role playing. The god of Death is going to be happy giving power to a cleric of the God of Life? Don't think so.

Really, such assumptions. My setting has a good of death that happily makes his clerics channel positive energy. He's lawful neutral and wants creatures to die when their time comes, and all these deaths by sword and disease are annoying (in this world Cure Disease spells work by infusing the target with positive energy until the immune system has fine it's job). He's the one who added the 'not of old age' clause to standard resurrection spells, because once a creature has died of old age he can judge their life in full.

Why not just multi-class wizard (damage) and cleric of life (healing)? Your wizard can even be a necromancer if you want.

This would also make sense.

I'd be shocked if 3.5 didn't have a prestige class out there that let Clerics channel both positive and negative energy. Of not there really should be one, it fits a few neutral deities well enough and you could have it give bonuses to cure and inflict spells as the character gained levels in the class.

redwizard007
2018-02-24, 09:19 PM
...andyou could have it give bonuses to cure and inflict spells as the character gained levels in the class.

That could be a nice perk that would make the class more competitive. You could also consider letting them use cure/inflict spells as a ray (with access to Ray based metamagic.) For a prestige class it would be excellent. It would have to come up short when compared to a dedicated healer/harmer, but there are some nice options here.

Pex
2018-02-24, 11:25 PM
If you really must multiclass in Pathfinder you can multiclass among cleric/oracle/war priest/inquisitor. Oracle is a major spellcaster but can fight well depending on Mystery and the other two are very warrior like. Only Life oracles can channel, which must be positive energy. War priest can channel, not well, but you must choose the same channel type as cleric. If channeling positive and negative energy is the must have then neutral cleric of a neutral deity with that feat is the only way to do it.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-02-25, 12:04 AM

Well, would it?

Dude, 3.5: neutral cleric that turns undead into death delver into paragnostic apostle. Follow up with a class that advances whichever you decide is more important.

VoxRationis
2018-02-25, 12:19 AM
Isn't 5e's Grave Domain cleric based on a similar premise, of being the guardian of life and death, assuring everyone receives both at the appropriate time?

FreddyNoNose
2018-02-25, 12:56 AM

I agree, but I feel that some players see it as a healbot. Plus many of them don't want any restrictions place on worshiping a god (which is part of role playing) but they say that is it anti-role playing or against player agency. They want the heals and cures but not the other things.

GentlemanVoodoo
2018-02-25, 04:02 PM
Op, as may have said already no edition of d&d allows double classing. 3.0/3.5 did have something close mechanics wise with a cleric/mystic combo. But to pull off what your wanting you should consider finding access to the needed domains or just use a neutral pathfinder cleric with the death goddess of that game as your diety. There is also a pathfinder archetype for the cleric making you an ex cleric but still getting the channel neutral energies to damage or heal without the feat but you will be limited in domain choice. Look up channeler of the unknown from the anti heroes splat book.

Khedrac
2018-02-25, 04:27 PM
You might just be able to do this in 1st Ed AD&D with the correct magic item. I haven't had the rules for nearly 30 years so I may be getting some of this wrong, but let's give this a go:

There is a magic item whose name I do not recall - it is some kind of hat that enables one to switch to a different class, either being one's normal class or being the hat's class. (There was a DM a University in whose campaign an elf had got to be a Ftr/MU/Theif/Cleric by being a Ftr/MU/T and getting a hat set to cleric then using a wish to merge the hat's class with their own.)
Anyway, it might be possible to be a cleric and use a hat of cleric to maintain two different cleric advancements...

Not sure, you need someone current with 1st Ed to check how viable this woudl be.

tomandtish
2018-02-25, 08:54 PM
You might just be able to do this in 1st Ed AD&D with the correct magic item. I haven't had the rules for nearly 30 years so I may be getting some of this wrong, but let's give this a go:

There is a magic item whose name I do not recall - it is some kind of hat that enables one to switch to a different class, either being one's normal class or being the hat's class. (There was a DM a University in whose campaign an elf had got to be a Ftr/MU/Theif/Cleric by being a Ftr/MU/T and getting a hat set to cleric then using a wish to merge the hat's class with their own.)
Anyway, it might be possible to be a cleric and use a hat of cleric to maintain two different cleric advancements...

Not sure, you need someone current with 1st Ed to check how viable this woudl be.

The item was a Hat of Difference, and was in the AD&D Unearthed Arcana. And (IIRC) you could start as level 1 in ANY class that you met the stats for with the hat, and it kept progression. (At work so old books aren't in front of me). it was specific to a person so if I leveled it to 5 cleric and then someone else got it, they would start over fresh.

Edit: Actually, have a PDF with the info...

Hat of Difference
XP Value: 1,000 GP Value: 8,000
Unearthed Arcana
When this magical chapeau is worn, the wearer is able to assume the role of a character of any class other than that he or she actually practices. This magical headgear only empowers assumption of 1st level, but as long as it is worn, the possessor is able to act as a member of the named class. Any experience gained is in the assumed role only, but it is cumulative, so if in several wearings the individual actually goes to 2nd level, then he or she retains that level whenever the hat is worn and the new class is assumed. Such progress may continue indefinitely, but if the hat is discarded, lost or stolen, or not within a one-mile radius of its owner for any 24-hour period, then all experience in the different class is lost. The hit points of the character are always those actually possessed, just as all ability scores are those of the actual character.

CircleOfTheRock
2018-02-26, 02:56 AM
In 5th Edition, you can channel both positive and negative energy (as it were; there’s no defined terms for either in that edition) in the form of Inflict Wounds and Cure Wounds without multiclassing the same class (which isn’t RAW in any edition, I believe).

Khedrac
2018-02-26, 03:38 AM
The item was a Hat of Difference, and was in the AD&D Unearthed Arcana. Thank-you so much for finding this for me.

When this magical chapeau is worn, the wearer is able to assume the role of a character of any class other than that he or she actually practices.
And there is the rule that prevents it working.