PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Yawning Portal Part One (IC, The Sunless Citadel)

Kell_tamer
2018-02-24, 07:25 PM
OOC
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?550372-Tales-From-the-Yawning-Portal-(DnD-5e-group-OOC))
It is late at the Yawning Portal, the most famous inn of Waterdeep, most revelries have died down. All that are left are the occasional sleepy drunk, and those who are bugging the proprieter, Durnan of tales to pass time.

An isolationist, rarely will he actually pass a tale on, notably not without coin. The masses there however seem interested. So with a pile put before him of gold.

"Fine you louts... you want a tale of adventure to tell your kids or seek out heroes then I have one for you... but you best hush up as I aint a man keen on repeatin myself... It begins in Oakhurst...

Nearby a well known place of mystery known as the Sunless Citadel there is a village known as Oakhurst.

A small village, its roughly 900 people mostly humans with a small smattering of halflings and an even smaller smattering of others, it is often the first stop of travel for adventurers attempting to seek gold and excitement. For those fresh faced inexperienced, its sometimes their last stop in civilization...

The fields are lush with growth in this summer day, many are indoors in their homes to get out of the heat, while others still are at the Ol' Boar Inn to wet their whistle. The sound of the forge down the way of Rurik Lutgehr can be heard as he continues his work despite the heat. Mayor Vurnor Leng can be seen in his office at the village hall from the window. People mill about passing their time as they always do. None seem surprised when three new adventurers enter their village...

Obscurejones
2018-02-25, 06:44 PM
The bugbear slips into town with his cloak's hood pulled low and wicked grin scything out from within the shadow. He walks with a rolling almost whimsical gait, each step halfway between falling forward and springing into the air, as though his body is unsure of how gravity should affect it.

josienoms
2018-02-25, 11:13 PM
Vezera walks into town with her friends, tired after a long day of travel. The red dragonborn probably gets a few odd looks as they go down the street, but she doesn't mind. She keeps an eye out for any temple or shrine dedicated to Waukeen, just to drop by if she gets a chance. But at the moment, the only thing on her mind is food.

"Let's get something to eat, first. I doubt I can make it to the next town."

As if on cue, her stomach rumbles loudly.

JonRG
2018-02-26, 05:02 PM
Rime chuckles behind their mask, getting about as many stares as their compatriots. They shrug at the idea of food. "I don't mind stopping. It'd be nice to see what work there is to be done around here."

Kell_tamer
2018-02-27, 12:31 PM
As you enter the inn you can see folks cooling off with various beverages and some taking in small meals. The group gets a glance as they enter, in particular the bugbear, but the people return their gazes to their meals. Conversations continue.

There are a few open tables and spots at the bar.

Anyone who wishes to listen to a conversation can make a perception roll.

Obscurejones
2018-02-27, 01:12 PM
The bugbear sprawls forward, draping himself across the bar. His arms lurch out from under his cloak and grab a bottle of their finest rotgut. Which is to say, their worst hard spirit. He pulls the cork with his teeth and reaches for a trio of glasses, pouring generous portions into each.

josienoms
2018-02-28, 09:58 AM
Vezera relaxes at a table while Cynos gets drinks. If a server happens to come by, she'll ask about the specials, but mostly she sits, trying to listen to the people nearby, just to get an insight into what's going on around town.

Perception roll to eavesdrop: [roll0]

JonRG
2018-02-28, 11:50 PM
Rime ***** an ear. Maybe there would be something to do in this town. Something to steal if nothing else.

[roll0]

Kell_tamer
2018-03-01, 08:57 AM
The barkeep without looking up from washing his glass speaks up. "That will be 3 silver."

meanwhile Vezera hears a couple of people talking. "it happened again... yeah Old Phil... yeah just like the others... told him not to head that way. called it superstitious nonsense."

Obscurejones
2018-03-01, 01:46 PM
The bugbear nods but makes no move to reach for a coin purse or any other sort of payment. He downs the first two glasses in a quick shuddering gulp and then looks down bemusedly at the last drink before tilting his gaze up towards his companions.
"Will you lot be getting anything? I do hate to drink alone. Always makes me feel like a depressed writer."

JonRG
2018-03-02, 08:42 PM
Rime shakes their head, idly scanning the crowd for any good marks.

Let's try this shiz again!

[roll0]

josienoms
2018-03-02, 08:55 PM
Vezera calls over to the Bugbear.

"See if they have any good red wines. If not, don't bother."

Meanwhile, she turns her head to the overheard conversation.

"Do you mind if I ask what happened again? Is someone ill, or injured? I only ask because I'm a Cleric, and I'd be happy to help, if I can."

She tries to give a reassuring smile, but there's probably entirely too many teeth visible for a humanoid to be entirely comfortable.

Kell_tamer
2018-03-02, 08:59 PM
The bartender Garon slides a small tray to collect the coins then pulls out a bottle of red wine.

A couple of the patrons appear to be more well off.

"well ya see.... some of our folk have been goin missin outside the roads. Old phil was the most recent, but some was a ventuerers just like you. One was even carryin a magic sword but we not heard anything bout him. He thought he could save th' others.... "

JonRG
2018-03-07, 01:48 PM
Rime wanders over to the drunkest rich person he can find that isn't being very loud and drawing a lot of attention. They brush past the target as they find a booth in the corner and sit down.

[roll0]

josienoms
2018-03-07, 06:19 PM
"How tragic."

Vezera frowns thoughtfully, mostly to appear genuinely regretful, but partly to drown out the voice in her head screaming,

Magicswordmagicswordmagicsword!!!

She glances at Cynos, and very smoothly ignores Rime getting up for thiefery, and says,

"This seems to be quite up our alley. You'd enjoy getting another chance to fistfight a few dangerous thugs and/or monsters, I'd assume?"

Obscurejones
2018-03-10, 12:58 PM
The bugbear scratches his chin, contemplating the offer.
"I'd enjoy getting paid. My dues are coming up for this quarter. But I suppose this seems... Potentially lucrative."

Kell_tamer
2018-03-12, 12:05 PM
Our masked rogue is able to pilfer 5 gold from one of the patrons. Along with the gold is a small bit of folded cloth.

The patrons talking with the others look at eachother. "If yer lookin to get some coin, Kerowyn Hucrele is looking for someone ta find the missin folks, two of em are her kids.... Adventurers who went in to find some of the missin folk themselves."

Obscurejones
2018-03-12, 12:41 PM
The bugbear hops off his stool and starts for the door bottle in tow.
"Yay profit. And where might this woman live, my gentle and helpful townsfolk?"

Kell_tamer
2018-03-12, 12:47 PM
One points toward the wall. "That way out the door... she runs the store."

Obscurejones
2018-03-12, 12:51 PM
The bugbear whistles as he heads out the door, circling his finger in a quick motion for his allies to wrap it up at their earliest convenience.

JonRG
2018-03-12, 10:31 PM
Rime glances up from counting their haul in the shadows, then slides out of the booth. Their hand finds its way to another wealthy drunk's wallet on the way out. How strange!

[roll0]

josienoms
2018-03-19, 10:06 PM
Vezera downs her drink, leaves a few coins on the table, and followers her friends out the door. When she enters the store, she asks whoever is behind the counter,

"Kerowyn Hucrele? I hear you're looking for someone vaguely hero-adjacent."

She smiles widely, still having that magic sword fixed firmly in her mind. It would be hers, eventually. If only long enough to be sold.

Kell_tamer
2018-03-20, 07:49 PM
The woman behind the counter looks up at the cleric. "I am. Someone to find my kids. They and some others went ahead to try and deal with the goblins. Haven't come back. "

She moves to put some items on a shelf behind her. "My son Talgen and my daughter Sharwyn. I'm willing to pay 125 gold pieces for each to those that help bring their safe return. It isn't much but we aren't exactly a wealthy town." She looks to them. "I should also clarify that's 125 to each of you. 125 for my son, and 125 for my daughter."

Our pickpocket on the way out manages to secure a small gem from a passing jewelers pouch. A single moss agate (Translucent pink stone with mossy grey markings) its worth 10gp.

Obscurejones
2018-03-23, 11:54 AM
"Wonderful! Is there a lesser sum for remains or proof of current state?"
The Bugbear leans on his spear, the haft bending just enough to leave him at a slightly precarious angle.

JonRG
2018-03-24, 09:51 PM
Rime gives Cynos a baleful look, or as baleful as one can from under a mask. "We will do all that we can to return your children to you safely." They press their palms together with a slight inclination of their head.

josienoms
2018-03-25, 09:44 PM
Vezera slowly grins, showing off nearly all of her numerous teeth. She would have gone anyway, but getting paid is always a nice perk. Especially to a cleric of the goddess of coin.

"Of course, of course. Perfectly reasonable rates. Do you have any more information on where they were heading when they disappeared? We're not exactly locals, you see, and anything you tell us will be of immense help."

Kell_tamer
2018-03-25, 09:51 PM
She looks disgusted at the thought of asking for money for the dead but turns to the cleric. ”Half.... “ she says disheartened at the idea. ”Just down the road to the chasm where the citadel used to stand. You can’t miss it. Its about 7 miles from here.”

Obscurejones
2018-03-25, 11:26 PM
"Madam, if I may set your mind at ease? You love your children dearly, yes? Adore them as a loving mother might?"
The bugbear fixes the woman solemnly with his single bestial eye.

Kell_tamer
2018-03-25, 11:28 PM
She nods ”What mother wouldn’t?”

Obscurejones
2018-03-25, 11:30 PM
"Of course, of course. And though they are adventurers by their trade, if they came to you and said "Oh, dearest mother, we tire of the dusty road. Of the crags and crevices of ancient tombs. Of the life of the sword and the spell. Might we take up with you in your shop?" you would allow them, yes? You would welcome them back into your bosom?"
His iris begins to widen slightly as the rhythm of his own speech begins to lull him into a meditative state.

Kell_tamer
2018-03-25, 11:33 PM
”Yes I would. I would absolutely “ she shrugs not knowing where this is going.”What parent would not?”

Obscurejones
2018-03-25, 11:43 PM
"There is a parable I was taught at the monastery.

One day the Emperor of a distant land went for a walk among his subjects.

As he traveled through the market he stopped a while to watch a Butcher at his work.

The Butcher was simple man but the Emperor saw that he had exceptional skill at his chosen trade. Again and again the Butcher raised his cleaver and brought it down cleanly, each single stroke passing all the way through the carcasses he rendered down into choicest cuts.

'You there, simple Butcher' said the Emperor. 'How do you do this so easily?'

'It is simple your highness. I have practiced at this for twenty years. I have learned that I must cut between the bones. In this way I have gone all this while without need of a new cleaver.'

'Ah.' Said the Emperor. 'I shall have to have you train my Executioner.' "

The Bugbear lets a single hand roll out in front of him, palm up in supplication.

"As with all parables, the meaning is greatly open to interpretation. But I see it thusly. The Butcher was a man of little to no means. If he had to afford new steel every year he could scarcely afford to live. So his skill grew to accommodate his mighty need for it. The Executioner did not cut to fill his empty stomach. He knew that his ax would be provided by an Emperor. And so he was of low skill."

He leans in towards the woman with a a grim but determined air.

"You have sent Executioners, noble of purpose, but knowing that they need not succeed lest they starve. When I tell you that I want every coin I can squeeze from this encounter? You will know that we are Butchers. And that is precisely what your children need now."

Kell_tamer
2018-03-25, 11:53 PM
She narrows her eyes. ”and if you succeed you will get the coin promised. It is my life savings and i do not have anymore.”

Obscurejones
2018-03-25, 11:56 PM
The Bugbear rocks back on his heels, giving her ample space again.
"Ah, a life for a pair of lives? I see you are shrewd with a deal."

JonRG
2018-03-27, 09:11 PM
Rime makes their way to the door. "Time is fleeting, and you know what they say about time."

Obscurejones
2018-03-29, 03:55 PM
"Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus?"
The bugbear follows the masked figure in their egress.
"Mala tempora currunt?"

josienoms
2018-04-04, 12:30 PM
Vezera just shrugs and waves, and follows the other two out, along the road to their destination.

Kell_tamer
2018-04-09, 08:18 PM
It's about seven miles walk. The sun dips low on the horizon as you find a crevice dotted with broken pillars.. the pit below is dark and difficult to see down (unless you have darkvision). http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sbq70EqPYhg/TiARE2K61tI/AAAAAAAAATM/Dw2-FRMfJFo/s1600/overlandmap.jpg Perception rolls for anyone interested.

Obscurejones
2018-04-09, 09:46 PM
Leaning over the gap Cynos gently kicks a rock down into the waiting chasm.
"... Yup. It's a hole."
Perception with Darkvision [roll0]

JonRG
2018-04-11, 06:34 PM
Barely breaking stride, Rime snoops down and scoops another rock from the ground. They mutter a few arcane words under their breath, then drop the now-glowing rock into the abyss.

Perception: [roll0]

josienoms
2018-04-11, 08:42 PM
Vezera also peers over the edge, trying to perceive its depths...

[roll0]

Kell_tamer
2018-04-11, 08:46 PM
Well with the light its easy to see the pit goes down 50 feet. There is a platform at the bottom then more pit down the side. For our dragon blood, it looks like there are some stairs possibly going further down from that platform? you aren't completely sure. And some bones.

josienoms
2018-04-12, 03:43 PM
"Well, if we can just get down to the platform, there's a set of stairs leading further down."

She glances up at Rime.

"Wouldn't happen to know Featherfall, wouldja?"

Obscurejones
2018-04-12, 04:12 PM
"I imagine if we throw them we would learn quickly."
Digging in his kit he pulls out a length of sturdy hempen rope.
"Or, I could lower you lot and then try to scamper down myself. But I'm all for throwing the magician if we need to."

JonRG
2018-04-13, 06:19 PM
Rime chuckles behind their mask. "Those are two options, but I have a better idea." They take a hammer and piton, using the former to drive the latter into the cliff face, then thread Cynos' rope through and tie it off. "I'll go first." After a few muttered words, Rime's right glove glows with a dull light. "To the hunt." They dexterously kick off the wall into the darkness.

Casting Light again, and then climbing into the pit. Not gonna go any closer than 20 ft below the ground because that's where they're least likely to get their **** kicked in by a monster. (Also, their climb speed is probably much lower than 50.)

Athletics: [roll0]

Kell_tamer
2018-04-16, 08:09 PM
Our masked magician makes their way down the rope to the platform below. The bugbear follows soon after.

Josie you will be able to make your way down after their rolls.

JonRG
2018-04-16, 09:23 PM
Rime gracefully snatches their rock from the ground and cautiously examines their surroundings.

[roll0]

Obscurejones
2018-04-18, 01:59 PM
The bugbear yawns and takes a cursory glance around.
[roll0]

josienoms
2018-04-19, 06:56 PM
Vezera makes her way down the rope as well!

Kell_tamer
2018-04-25, 09:55 AM
A sandy ledge overlooks a subterranean gulf of darkness to the west. The ledge is wide but rough. Sand, rocky debris, and the bones of small animals cover it. A rough hewn stairwell zigs and zags down the side of the ledge descending into darkness.

Then the loud scurrying sound as several rats start coming out possibly hoping for a fresh meal.

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE SUCKAS!

3 large rats (not quite same stats as book)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

JonRG
2018-04-26, 10:44 PM
Swearing under their breath, Rime reaches for a small pouch and withdraws a small vial containing a clear liquid.

It's just water. Material component for the spell I got in the hopper. Just a fun fluffy bit to have-do-did before the battle is joined.

Obscurejones
2018-04-28, 01:28 AM
The monk yawns and shifts his grip on his spear.
gottagofast[roll0]

Kell_tamer
2018-04-29, 08:27 PM
The rat approaches... bigger than originally thought and makes for a bite at Rime.

[roll0]
if it hits
[roll1]
Order
Rat 1
Rime
Cynos
Rat 2
Rat 3
Vezera

JonRG
2018-05-08, 06:51 AM
Rime glances down at the rat nibbling on their boot, then mutters some arcane words. A knife of glimmering ice forms in their hand. They take a half-step backwards and throw it at a further back rat.

Would like to hit one rat such that the 5 ft burst hits the other rats without hitting any allies, especially me.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Hit or miss, the knife then explodes and all creatures within 5 ft must make a DC 14 13 Dexterity saving throw or take [roll2] cold damage.

Kell_tamer
2018-05-08, 09:09 AM
The rats attempt to scatter at the bursting shard

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

They hiss at the cold frost

Obscurejones
2018-05-10, 12:58 PM
Taking a step back if he can, the monk lurches his arm forward, stretching it further than would seem possible for a human. But humans suck, that's why the gods invented Bugbears. Regardless of rather his spear strikes true he lets a ripple travel down his arm, cracking the long stretchy limb like a whip to try to rap a second rat on the skull after poking it's friend in the side.
Trying to be 10 ft away from the nearest Rat. If I can't, eh, no sweat. Going to assume that my extra sneaky damage dice don't apply here as well.
Initial Attack, [roll0] Damage [roll1]+5 so 10
Follow up Martial Arts attack as a bonus action[roll2] Damage [roll3] This was a five damage on a 12 attack

Kell_tamer
2018-05-12, 08:00 AM
The two rats keel over. The other rat stops where it is and begins to scurry in the other direction. It turns out that sometimes in DnD creatures do have survival instincts! It starts skittering away down some stairs that are carved out of the sides of the cliff in hopes to not simply be some starting adventurer's experience points.

"Mom was right, i should have tried to become good at cooking! live in someones hat!"