PDA

View Full Version : Animated objects or bigby hand

Whit
2018-02-25, 05:08 PM
1. Both are bonus action.
2. Both concentration
Animated objects what I’m unsure of is the damage listed per object 10/8/6/4/2 or is that the total damage that each size does. Example 10 tiny objects is that 10 attack’s and 10 1d4+4 or is it one attack for 1d4+4
Now bigby hand hitting is a strength attack bonus or can it be dex attack bonus
Since a mage has weak strength I would think it’s important to note.
The grab and pushing seen to be the best.
Which one is better

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-25, 05:16 PM
1. Both are bonus action.
2. Both concentration
Animated objects what I’m unsure of is the damage listed per object 10/8/6/4/2 or is that the total damage that each size does. Example 10 tiny objects is that 10 attack’s and 10 1d4+4 or is it one attack for 1d4+4
Now bigby hand hitting is a strength attack bonus or can it be dex attack bonus
Since a mage has weak strength I would think it’s important to note.
The grab and pushing seen to be the best.
Which one is better
Animate Object is amazing for summoning creatures to support you, tiny size will always be the best, outside of niche situations. Each of the 10 objects will deal 1d4+4.

Bigby's Hand is good mostly for the flexibility it gives, you can attack, grapple (and crush), push, and use it as a wall for half cover, and with a Str score of 26, it's pretty effective at all of those things.

If you're looking for pure damage output, Animate Object is undoubtedly better, if you want flexibility, Bigby's Hand is an easy choice.

AttilatheYeon
2018-02-25, 05:18 PM
Animate object does more damage, bigbys hand has more combat utility. I like bigbys hand when there are lots of melee in the party and animate object when i cant hold a target down with bigbys.

Astofel
2018-02-25, 05:23 PM
I once played a bard with both, so here's my comparison. Animate Objects is really good for when you know a fight is coming. When we knew a dragon fight was coming up, the wizard and I both made swarms of Tiny objects, which did a number on the dragon's health. However, it's a lot of bookkeeping to keep track of all the tiny object's hit points and positions, and it can really extend your turn and potentially annoy other players when you're rolling to hit for all the objects.

On the other Hand, Bigby's is a very versatile spell. I found myself casting it far more often than Animate Objects. It offers decent damage, and good control and protection options. If your DM is generous they might even allow you to have the hand pick you up and carry you around. Possibly the biggest point in Bigby's favour is that you can change its task at will, whereas with AO you're stuck with the size of objects you animated when you cast the spell. Bigby's is also harder to kill than the objects.

I ended up using Bigby's Hand a lot more than Animate Objects, so I'd personally say it's the better spell for me, but really it comes down to personal taste.

Lord8Ball
2018-02-25, 05:40 PM
You could probably use bigby's hand to lift you in the air due to its 26 strength.(dang ninga'd)
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vsbattles/images/2/2e/Betelgeuse_Air.png/revision/latest?cb=20161002081421