PDA

View Full Version : The Undying Monster

Pages : [1] 2

Darth Ultron
2018-02-25, 05:25 PM
Wealth flows into the city of Baldur’s Gate like water. As the rich luxuriate in their mansions atop the bluff and artisans ply their trades on the steep streets, masses of poor laborers swell the slums. Money and power beget political scandal, religious fervor, crime . . . and murder. No one feels safe on the rain-darkened streets. Strange, foreign gods are beseeched in secret shrines. The city is rife with corruption. And through it all, the body count keeps rising.

Baldur's Gate is ruled by the Council of Four that consist of dukes who vote among themselves on matters of law and policy for the city. One duke is appointed the title of Grand Duke, who is empowered to break ties when the council is deadlocked.

Patron Deities: Gond, Tymora, Umberlee
Major Shrines: Ilmater, Lathander, Oghma, Helm
The Flaming Fist mercenaries act as the city's defacto military as well as the police force of the Lower City, while the Upper City is guarded by the Watch.

The adventure begins! Time for you to describe your character and introduce yourself.

I will put little notes at the bottom of some posts to clarify what I need and what I expect. Any information that is not part of the flow of the game will be presented like this

razorback
2018-02-25, 09:59 PM
A noise roused Hemsin from his sleep. Rolling over in the cot, he sat up to see Amada, the half-orc barmaid, putting her clothes on. Coughing a bit, he asked her Leaving before breakfast?" he said, his voice rough and raspy. He had spent the night drinking at the pub she worked at and she accompanied home, more than half out of pity.
"It doesn't look like you have anything that isn't moldering or even fit for goblin consumption, so no." as she paused from clothing herself as she looked around with more than a bit of disgust before continuing.
"Come'on, lets grab something somewhere. If nothing else, we can hit the market and grab something." he said as he rolled out of the cot, running his hand through medium hair blond hair, trying to push it behind his ears, which proved to show his elven heritage. Pulling on up his pants and pulling his shirt over his head, he undid the work he had done just moments before.
"No, I have somewhere else to be. Maybe you will stop by tonight and see me?" Amada said as she walked over and gave him a quick kiss on his forehead. "Or not. You choose, you're a big boy." With that she walked out the door, shutting it quietly.
Hemsin sat there for a few minutes pondering what to do. With a heavy sigh, he finshed dressing, grabbing a few items and putting in his pockets before walking and locking the door.
Walking down to the market, he picked up a couple of meat pies and a wedge of cheese. Moving his was slowly to his office, he meandered a bit instead of going straight there, stopping by a few of his contacts on the street to see if they had any tips on his couple of open jobs. No one did, so he went to his office.
Unlocking the door, he checked out the backroom, but there wasn't anything to drink but water. Going back to his desk, he sat heavily with a sigh. Eating one of the pies and wolfing down the cheese, a strong smelling soft cheese that he hadn't had before and probably wouldn't again, he paused to drink some of the water as he thought about getting up and getting some wine from a vendor. Deciding that he wasn't that motivated today, he leaned back as he closed his eyes, letting the headache that was slowly building drain away. Reaching under his desk to the hidden slot, he pulled out his notes and went over them. He would have to make it down to the business district to follow the gem merchant, Axel Glimmersheen, and find out what he was going afterhours today.
Leaving it open from here.

Darth Ultron
2018-02-27, 11:47 PM
There is a knock on the door, and without waiting the door is opened. A young male gnome is standing outside. He wears simple commoner clothing, and has no visible weapons.

"Is this the right place for the finder? You find things? I need something found? Find for money? Right? You can help? Yes?"

Were you thinking of like a two room apartment/bedroom and an office....or more living in your office sort of thing.

And where to do see the him living? Something like the second floor over a business of some sort? Or even the second floor room above a small warehouse?

razorback
2018-02-28, 01:21 PM
The bulky elf, at the knock, looks darkly at the door for a moment and begins to stand as the door swings open. He stops halfway to standing and looks at the person, a gnome, wondering for a moment.
"Ah... yes, I am a... finder. Please, come in and have a seat." he says as he finishes standing and extends his hand to the youngster. It wasn't the first time he had met a potential client that was out of sorts due to the delicate nature of the case.
"My name is Hemsin." he says as the gnome sits on the other chair in the room and he crosses the room and shuts the door after a quick look down the hall to the stairs.
"And I am quite competent and finding people and... things. Tell me what you're looking for, where you last saw it, who might want it... anything that will help me out." with a smile, possibly a little less than genuine as his head still throbbed a bit.

Picturing a two room apartment above a business. The backroom would be his room/living area, preferably with a means of escape, and the front serving as his office. A small desk with a view of the hallway along with a couple of chairs, one for him and one for his potential client.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-01, 08:08 AM
The gnome walks in, his eyes mostly on the floor, until he gets to the empty chair and sits down. Only then does he look up.

Gerdol Longbottom " Gerdol Longbottom. I need a Finder. My pops, just passed to the Golden Hills. And, see, he had this bank. Like about a foot high, made of copper and gold, with a treasure chest and a gnome. An it's wee bit magic mecho, give it a twist and the little gnome will put a coin in the chest. Me and my two brothers, Davlop and Zenbaos, made it for my dad for his big Life Gift present years ago. And now with dad gone, everything goes to me, as I'm the oldest brother. But the bank is gone. I know it was one of my brothers, I need you to find who and get back my bank. "

razorback
2018-03-01, 03:46 PM
Hemsin, as the gnome sits, moves around his desk and eases himself into his chair. He watches the gnome as he speaks, noting any facial twitches as he pulls out a sheaf of paper and a bit of coal to write. He blanches a bit at the mention of the brothers. Family matters were always a sordid mess, but it usually meant a few more coins in his pocket.
"I am sorry for your loss, Mr. Longbottom. As far as the matter of the chest, I am the finder for you. Do you think it could have been one or both of your brothers? Are Davlop and Zenbaos married or have any kids? Where do your brothers live and work? What was your father's name? Where did your father live and where was the last time and place you or anyone you know saw the chest?" he asked as he kept one eye on the paper and the other watching Gerdol for a reaction.

Sense Motive to check his reaction and look to see if he is on the up-and-up
[roll0]

Knowledge:Local to see if he has heard of any of the Longbottoms
[roll1]

Darth Ultron
2018-03-02, 09:12 AM
Gerdol Longbottom "Ah, well, yes, like I said, I know it had to be one of them. I'm the oldest, so I get all my fathers stuff, and I know they both wanted it.

Yea, we all have Life Partners and Gnomelings, we are a big family. Well, we all live in the Gnome Quarter, Gnome Gate. Me and Davlop are on Wheel Street, Zenbaos is over on Short Run. I have my own shop, I'm a whitesmith. Davlop is a tinker, he works out of his home door to door. Zenbaos is a fish catcher, he works on one of them little fishing boats that go out every morning.

Orladam Longbottom was my pops name. He lived on Wheel Street too, with my ma, of course. We sold the house at the Passing, of course, so now my ma lives with my family.

My pa kept the bank in his study. It was still there the day of my pas Passing, I saw it. But the next day, when we all went to clean out the house and move my ma, it was gone. That was two days ago.

So, do all these questions mean you will find it for me? Like I'd hire you? How much will that cost? "

Gerdol Longbottom is being honest and telling the truth.

The Longbottoms are a local gnome family that have lived in the city for generations.

razorback
2018-03-02, 05:06 PM
Hemsin sat back as he pondered the question, rubbing his hairless chin.
"Look, I'll be honest with you. I understand and appreciate what you're going though. I do. But, these family matters never go the way you might think. On top of that, they tend to get messy, especially for you.
Brothers and other family members aren't going to like me prying and are not going to like you thinking they may have been the thief. Just being plain with you. I want to help but I want to make sure you know what your getting into." He says with a firm but compassionate voice. "If your still committed, I charge 1 gold per day, preferring a Dragon or Lion, plus expenses with 1 week minimum pay up front. Depending on how deep this goes, should have an answer in a fortnight or so." he says as he picks up his coal and make some notes based on Gerdol's comments about his family. "Besides your brothers, who else would know about this bank your father had??

Darth Ultron
2018-03-03, 02:02 PM
Gerdol Longbottom "I can handle messy, this is important.

Ah, I can cover the cost.

Well, my whole family knows about the bank, of course. And, well, it was a Big Life Gift present, so guess there were like a bunch a people at that party. And it was in my pas study, and he was proud of it, so sure all his friends knew about it. So, a lot of people, I guess. "

razorback
2018-03-04, 02:01 AM
Hemsin nods his head. "Alright, it would seem we have an agreement then, Mr. Longbottom." He pulls out a standard form, fills in the relevant information and slides it over to Gerdol. Once signed, he puts it into his shirt pocket. "Alright, I can start in the morning. Probably check on the fisherman, first, as he'll be upbright and early. Do some asking around tonight, see what the locals might have picked up on rumors. I'll get you back to you once I have more information. Any questions?" he asked with pursed lips.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-04, 10:29 AM
Gerdol Longbottom looks over the form and signs it. then he pulls out a small coin pouch and counts out ten gold coins.

The Forgotten Realms uses the ten day weeks. With special days in no months.

Gerdol Longbottom "No questions. Let me know as soon as you find out something, or find the bank."

Gerdol Longbottom then gets up and leaves out the door.

razorback
2018-03-05, 12:32 AM
Hemsin is about to stand but his new client rushes out the door before he can see him out. He just waves and mumbles something as the door shuts.
Sitting back in the chair heavily, he leans back as he rubs his temples for a moment thinking. While still early in the morning he felt like he was behind. He had to get finished with the Glimmersheen case and he could talk to his contacts about the Longbottom brothers, see if any of them were into money to any of the loans sharks, had any gambling problems or seen them in any of the houses of ill-repute. His guess was they owed someone something but until he got to the bottom of it. Usually something bubbled up to the surface... everyone had secrets, even if they didn't realize it themselves. Making some more notes, he dusted the page with a bit of fine sand before slipping them into hidden compartment and closing it up.

Once he was free, he moved back down to the street. To the casual observer, it looked as if he meandered about the city at random, nodding here and there while only speaking to a few individuals.
In truth, the head movement was communication to his snitches, who were telling him they had nothing to give at the moment, so as not to have any more contact than was necessary. Keeping his contacts hidden was paramount in his business, especially for certain clients.
Coming up pretty much empty, he made his way to the Blushing Mermaid. Nodding to the doorman, he entered and went to the bar. He looks around at the various clientelle, trying to get a line on Glimmersheen. When that goes nowhere, he begins to casually ask about the Longbottom brothers...

Darth Ultron
2018-03-05, 08:55 PM
The Blushing Mermaid is full of all sorts of folk, as always, with many coming and going at all hours.

There is not much talked about Longbottom Family Gossip, other then Orladam Longbottom passed away recently.

There is a lot more talk about the Shaugain attack in the harbor just this morning. They got on a merchant ship and ransacked it, but oddly only killed the crew members that attacked them or got in their way. It's very odd, but not unheard of, for a ship to be attacked in the harbor.

razorback
2018-03-07, 10:33 AM
"Shaugain, eh? Seems odd." he says to the speaker. "Never heard of them attacking in the harbor. What ship was it?" as he leans back against the bar.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-09, 12:56 AM
Rolf Bonebreaker half orc male, tells more of his tale "The ship was the Dark Dolphin, a fancy courier vessel out of Amn.

And it's not like shauagain have never attacked a ship in the harbor, but it has been years. "

Gneiss Copperpot, gnome male, "The coming of the sea devils was a sign of Lagri Firekeeper, that dwarf prophet. He said it would happen, even got the week right. "

Gakhan Nightbringer human male "Stab his eyes, Lagri is a dwarf profit, haw haw"

Rolf Bonebreaker "The Dark Dolphin had plenty of folk with coins on board. But it seems the shaugin were not looking for money. Though, by dark, I'm sure they got their claws on something of value."

razorback
2018-03-09, 01:42 PM
Kn:Local on the Dark Dolphin
[roll0]

Kn:Local on the Lagri Firekeeper
[roll1]
Whether or not Hemsin knows about Lagri Firekeeper, he is going to play it like he doesn't.

"I seem to remember something about those sea-beasts doing something like that before." Hemsin says as he addresses the half orc. "Seemed strange back then. Especially odd since they weren't out for any loot, but they do things for their own reasons. Maybe they were looking for one of them high fallutin' women as a bride?" he ends with a joke and nod to Rolf.
Turning his attention to Gneiss and Gakhan he says "Never heard of him. Think he might be in league with these creatures or that he really had some kind of vision or something? Seem odd either way."

Darth Ultron
2018-03-10, 11:31 PM
The Dark Dolphin is a pleasure ship transport for rich folks and runs up and down the coast. Known for arranged meetings and affairs: ''What happens on the dolphin stays on the dolphin". It's an open secret, but still not known to everyone. Owned and operated by Nanay Manaq'anra.

Lagri Firekeeper-older dwarf cook, runs a stall in the market of cooked meats. One the side, he also sees the future...for a price. He has been right sometimes, but many dwarves think of him as a prophet after he saw and forewarned of a coming infliction of zombie arse in the dwarven community and saved many lives.

Gneiss Copperpot "Lagri is not in league with the sea devils. He sees the future. He mentions the sea dark often, and even said the sea devils would attack here soon. And he was right...again....they did."

Gakhan Nightbringer "It's just a guess. You can't see the future. Saying 'oh when it's dark shauagin will attack a ship' is a guess. And then sure, it will happen eventually and he will say he was right."

Rolf Bonebreaker "Well, we don't have to worry about no sea devils. The Fist will take care of them."

razorback
2018-03-11, 07:06 PM
"Well, I appreciate it, lads." Hemsin says as he finishes off his drink. "I'd stay and buy you another round, but gots me work to do, if you catch my drift.
Maybe, if I can find where this Lagri is, perhaps I'll bring him back here for a drink so he can read my palm or card, eh?" he says with an friendly elbow to Gakhan as he makes his way towards the door. "If not, maybe we can tell each other stories of the sea while trying to drain the places kegs dry, eh?" With a nod to the three, he walks out the door, giving himself a tipsy walk as he nods to the doorman and ambles down the street.
<Maybe I can talk to Lagri and see if he does have the gift. If he help with either of these cases, maybe we can come up with an arrangment?> he thinks to himself as he continues to exxagerate his walk, putting his hand up against the wall as if to steady himself while really checking to see if he was being followed. It wouldn't be the first time some seemingly insignificant case, in his eyes, caused his quarry to hire some muscle to tell him find another case. While he usually gave as good as he got, he had had enough with bruises and broken bones so he took asking questions serious every time and made sure he was cornered and outnumbered to the best of his ability. Better to sock the money away than use it to pay the local priest to fix him.
Convinced after a few blocks he wasn't being followed, he resumed his walk. <Wouldn't be the worst idea and another resource is alwasy welcome. Need to get to the market before it close> and with that, he picked up his pace a bit as he planned out his evening in his head while making his way to Lagri's stall to see if he was still there.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-11, 09:59 PM
The open market, better known as The Wide is only a short walk away. It bustles by day and night, and is usually open spacewise only in the sense that there are no buildings. Temporary stalls, bins, sale tables, and the shoppers thronging to them usually crowd shoulder to shoulder. Deliveries here are often made by tall, strong folk striding through the crowds with tall poles strapped to their chests or backs at the top of which, over an adult human’s height aloft, are cribs and crates full of goods. Prices are lower here than elsewhere in the Gate, but business is apt to be sharper. Among the more common are vendors of silks, scarves, tobacco, and spices from the farthest reaches of the Shining South.

Food is plentiful in the Wide, of all types, though a lot of seafood. It does not take long to find a wooden stall with the name 'Firekeeper Foods', with a large fire going inside some stacked stones. An older male dwarf with once red, but now more gray hair sits on a stump next to the stall, talking to an audience of folks that are all eating meats on sticks from the stall.

Lagri Firekeeper "...in a kitchen, with silver pots and pans. That was when something changed. All of a sudden, things grew dark and zombies appeared to stumble through the open windows and doors. I ran from the cold ones, of course, and stopped to rest right in front of a giant oak tree, during which I rested against the side of the tree. I realized, somehow, that the tree was actually a house for a witch, from whom we hoped to obtain guidance from. I clambered down the stair into her subterranean home and there sat down, discussing how we could avoid this zombie/monster horde.

Then she became an evil malevolent monster,an aboleth , and she let the horde into her home, trapping us underground, between her and her minions. We ran in vain through the tunnels that under lied her home, and kept on running and running and running....and then I woke up with a start."

The crowd gasps and claps at the story.

razorback
2018-03-12, 03:53 PM
Hemsin, when he catches the dwarf 'weaving' his story, grabs a piece of roasted pork on a stick and stands in the back, slowly savoring the meat while listening. He continues to hang back once the story is over and waits while the crowd begins to disappate, watching for anyone who might... feel out of the ordinary or might be keeping a watch on Lagri.

Spot check
[roll0]

Once the crowd has properly dispersed and he is convinced that dwarf doesn't have any unwanted watchers, he walks up the to the dwarf.
"That is quite the tale. I heard you wove a similar tale regarding those seadwelling Shaugain attacking in the harbor and, low and behold, the Dark Dolphin incurred their wrath. Seems a strange coincidence,
don't you think? Was the witch tale you spoke of for fancy or was it a warning like the Dark Dolphin?" he asks in a friendly way.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-12, 09:33 PM
The crowd slowly breaks up, with most people saying thanks to Lagri...and a couple even toss him a couple coins.

Though one person does hang around. A young human female with pale skin and long dark hair. She wears a somewhat fancy yellow robe with embroidered bright purple octopuses on it. She sits on a small stool, of to the side, writing on a scroll....but also constantly looking up to watch Lagri.

Did you still want to approach Lagri while being watched? Or retcon that?

razorback
2018-03-13, 02:49 PM
Hemsin, making a mental note of the girl, continues his conversation with Lagri.

Will continue to talk with Lagri.
Will try to keep an eye on the girl without being obvious. Not sure if you want a roll for that that and what it would be.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-13, 10:25 PM
Lagri Firekeeper looks over casually "It's no coin-a-dance. What I see is real. They say I'm a prophet, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. I got a gift, mine you. I can see sights unseen. But make what you will of it."

The young human female sits in place writing on her scroll, looking up and over at Lagri every minute or so.

razorback
2018-03-14, 09:44 AM
Hemsin rubs his chin for a moment, taking in the dwarf's remarks. "So, I take it this attack on the Dolphin wasn't your first vision, eh? If you don't mind me asking, have you seen other things like this in the past?" he asks as he begins priming Lagri for help on his cases. If his visions were real, either through magic or prophesy, perhaps they could both profit from an arrangement?

Darth Ultron
2018-03-14, 10:25 PM
Lagri Firekeeper "Aye, I have gotten my visions for years. Ever after my accident. When my beard was a bit shorter I was a miner. One day the tunnel collapsed on us. I was trapped in the rubble for three days and in a deep sleep. And when I did wake up later, I started to have my visions. Dumathoin, my god, that is where my visions come from.

But, in case you are wondering....they are not always so accurate."

razorback
2018-03-15, 09:23 PM
Hemsin blinks twice in quick succession. <I hope the rocks falling didn't crack his mind. Am I making a good choice, here?> he thinks to himself as he struggles to keep a straight face.
Changing the subject, he says "Well, it would seem that being a meat merchant is a bit more profitable than being a prophet." he says with a wink and a smile. "But, that doesn't have to be the case. You see, I used to be an officer in the guard here and, well, I didn't like the sloppyness and corruption I was seeing, so I decided to strike out on my own, you see. Good at it, too, but everyone can always use some help." Drumming his fingers on his thighs, he thinks for a moment. "Tell you what. You have a couple of hours left of sunlight. You can close early or I can wait until your day is done, but afterwards why don't we get a meal and a drink, on me, while we continue this discussion further?"

Darth Ultron
2018-03-16, 07:41 AM
Lagri Firekeeper "Well, sure, if your buying. I can always use a good, free, meal and drink. Just give me a couple hours to close up. Meat you back here at six bells? Ha ha, meat, get it...."

razorback
2018-03-17, 12:30 PM
"Sounds good. I have some items I have to pick up in the market. I'll swing back and and get you in a couple of hours." Hemsin then gives a small nod as he make his way throught the crowd, opposite the girl without giving a second look. He meanders throught the market, disappearing from view fairly quickly. Once out of view, he waits about 5 minutes before he circles around and finds a spot where he can see the girl but the market provides quite a bit of cover from behind her view.

Hemsin will move about as if shopping, even buying a few small things, but he is going to keep moving, maybe buy a scarf or something similar if available to change is his look, but keep an eye on the girl and Lagri. If he can, he will try to ask people he knows and 'trusts' about her.

Hide
[roll0]

Gather information
[roll1]

Darth Ultron
2018-03-17, 01:53 PM
Each of your trusted contacts says that they have seen the young woman at the Wide everyday, always sitting by Lagri Firekeeper with her scroll out. She does nothing to draw attention to herself.

Lagri Firekeeper does a bit of business the rest of the day, that picks up a bit when he does his half off sale right before closing. Then he gathers his things and leaves the Wide.

The young woman gets up to stretch a couple times and does walk around a bit, but never goes too far from Lagri's stall. Though mostly she just sits on her stool. She stays until Lagri leaves, then she gets up and heads away too in a different direction.

razorback
2018-03-23, 05:40 PM
Sorry, must have read it and went to work. It didn't pop on on my unread.

Hemsin watches the woman for a bit as he decides what to do. Feeling a bit dangerous, he decides to tail the girl, figuring he can catch up to Lagri, or, at least, apologize to him.
Keeping to cover and trying not to look like he is tailing the girl, he follows her trail at a distance, moving slowly if it looks like she is looking back and rushing forward when she turns a corner, keeping her just in view.

Spot
[roll0]
Move Silently
[roll1]

Darth Ultron
2018-03-24, 11:08 AM
The young woman walks along at a steady pace. She does not turn around or overly look around as she walks.

Eventually she gets to the sea side Bloombridge District, home of the oldest city buildings and at lot of the cities wealth. Then to the sea side Kraken House Theater. Two human male guards at the main door nod to the young woman, and one opens the door for her. She quickly moves inside, then he closes the door.

razorback
2018-03-24, 12:08 PM
Well, well, well. Hemsin thinks to himself as he pauses for a moment as the woman disappears. Shaking his head, he turns around and quickly moves in order to meet with Lagri.
Looks like I'm not interested in this old crackpot. Does some rich merchant want to use his gifts, if they're real, to help them with their business? Maybe some politician? he ponders while weaving throught the streets, occasionally doing a quick double back in order to see if he's being folllowed. Old habits die hard.
He continues to move through the city, making his way while trying not to distract himself too much on who this girl might be working for, but it did leave him with a lot of uncertainty.
Looking up, he tries to determine if it's 6 bells yet.

Kn:Local on the Kraken House Theater, who might own it and things like regulars.
[roll0]

Darth Ultron
2018-03-24, 08:50 PM
You heard the 5th bell a good wile ago, so you figure it should be close to six bells soon.

The streets are full of people, but no one looks to be following you.

Kraken House Theater- It history goes back centuries when the city was just a town. Elwinalrn Sylstaer fought and killed a Kraken on the spot, and became famous by telling the story on that spot. Eventually he built the theater and his family was elevated to noble status.

Most of the cities nobles own a part of the theater, but the Sylstaer Noble Family has always maintained control. Aldorus Sylstaer is the current theater overseer.

Nobles, other wealthy people and socialites all flock to the theater. The theater is also known for having a small section of cheap common seats for commoners.

razorback
2018-03-25, 06:21 PM
Rushing back, Hemsin makes it to the meeting point a little before the appointed time. As he waits, he idles the time thinking of the various things the dwarf might want to have and where to take him. Not anywhere too fancy but not a place that is too much of a dive. Knowing a few places for each kind of food he may want, he nods and smiles to himself in a contented manor.
Still waiting, he ponders what it might mean that someone from the Kraken House Theater might want with the old dwarf. Wondering if the Dophin could have been owned by one of the patrons and maybe they were looking to recoup their losses, he stood and waited.
Once the dwarf arrives, he greets him warmly. "What kind o' food would tickle your fancy right now?" Once the dwarf answers, he says "Know a place that will do just fine. Right this way." He then takes him to an appropriate eatery.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-25, 08:46 PM
Lagri Firekeeper shows up after a couple minutes. He wants ''meat and ale...except no sea food", so it is easy enough to find an eatery.

Lagri eats and drinks a lot...at the same time.

"So, I be guessing you had some thing you wanted to talk about?"

razorback
2018-03-26, 11:06 AM
Hemsin grins back at Lagri. Well, I know he is at least not a complete fool. he thinks to himself.
"Yes, I do. Maybe more of a business proposition." Hemsin says as he stops eating and ponders for a moment, collecting his thoughts. "So, a bit of my background. I was part of the city guard a few years back. Big bosses saw something in me... a talent for ferreting out things that might not be obvious and making leaps or guesses that were correct more often than not. Guess my mind has a way of pieces parts of the puzzle together, you can say. Did this for some time, finding thieves and killers, mostly. I enjoyed it until things went... uh, sour, you can say. Left the guard because I couldn't deal with their incompetence or the corruption that goes along with it, you know?" he says as his voice becomes a bit strained as he thought on Dogul for the first time in a while. It still haunted him. Focusing on the now, he continued. "Well, I decided I would be doing the finding out on my own. Been able to keep a roof over my head and food on the table, if just barely sometimes. A bit of feast or famine, if you catch my meaning." he says with a grin as he takes a swig of his ale, wiping his mouth with his sleeve. "But, when I heard that you have a talent for seeing things, be it God-touched or what not, I was thinking to myself, with someone like that helping me out, make life easier for me... close cases faster, get good word of mouth... more coin in my pocket. Which means I could put some more coins in yours. Everyone wins. Maybe get some more sleep and less time out in the rain and cold." he takes another drink, slowly, as he watches the dwarf absorb what he is saying, before continuing. "I know some in my occupation have an unsavory reputation, some deserved. I don't. You can ask around. I keep everything upright. Don't break any laws doing what I do. Try to live in the space between where the law gives up and before the client does. Try to keep it to helping and finding things or people." Finishing his drink, he motions to the barmaid for another before turning back to Lagri. "That's it, in a clamshell. That's my pitch. Not something that will make either of us rich, but maybe a bit more comfortable. Maybe let us feel better about this life, know we might be helping people who the law won't or can't." Giving Lagri a serious look, he shrugs his shoulders and says "What are your thoughts on this?"

Darth Ultron
2018-03-26, 06:43 PM
Lagri Firekeeper "Well, it's a good thing your sitting down. Just so you know, this is not the first time I've been asked this sort of thing.

See the thing is....I can't control the visions. They just happen. So I really can't solve crimes and mysteries and such. Visions come and go, and they don't always make sense. And some times they only make sense after.

And lately, they have gotten dark. I used to have much more happy ones. With families and pets and kids and happy endings. But not any more...something has changed, and I don't know what. But things have gotten darker.

So as much as I'd like the extra coin, I don't think I can be of any help."

razorback
2018-03-28, 11:50 AM
Hemsin struggles to keep his face composed and not let his disappointment show, with mixed success. To be expected, I suppose. he thinks to himself.
Still, he was intrigued by the change in the visions. "Darker how? Is this images or are these darker visions coming true? Seems like a terrible burden to carry around, either way. I'm surprised to see you in the market instead of sitting at a bar and drinking them into submission." Hemsin knew of dark visions. He was still haunted by the night he almost died and his partner was brutally killed by the local mark makers.
Once Lagri answers, he nods before a questioning look crosses his face. "Have you had many others ask about your visions?" as he leans back when the barmaid returns with his drink and waits for the response. "Do know how these other prospective... partners were?" as he thought on the girl.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-28, 10:17 PM
Lagri Firekeeper "Well, they always seem to come true....the ones I can figure out anyway.

And, yea, like I said, what I saw used to be a mix of things both good and bad. But lately they only seem to be bad. And, well, drink does not help. When I am asleep or such.

And, yea, sure, lots of people get the know the future bug. They hear about me and come and see me, and I tell them I can't be of much help.

You know...when you mentioned guards. I had a dog vision a couple days ago...about dogs...maybe guard gods? It kind of fits...the dogs were running in circles around a city...like guard dogs maybe? And there is this pointed ear dog that gets into a fight with the other dogs and thrown out of the pack. So that lone dog then meets up with a pretty cat being chased by crabs. The dog kills the crabs, and frees the owl they have as a prisoner. The owl tries to give the dog a collar as a gift for saving him, but the dog refuses.....then a giant octopus rises up out of the sea and gobbles up the owl, cat, dog and the whole city. "

razorback
2018-03-29, 02:35 PM
Hemsin looks at the dwarf with an arched eyebrow. "Tis seems a nightmare that would stay with a man for... a long time." Rubbing his jaw, he asks "So, what do you make of the all these animals? I can't imagine these would be real but representations of something else. Dogs and cats? Owls and giant octopus?? Unless some mad druid has his eyes set on Baldur's Gate, I would think that these are all symbolic, but, then again, I'm no reader of signs nor have I ever cast bones."

Darth Ultron
2018-03-30, 02:25 PM
Lagri Firekeeper "I can't say I rightly know. A lot of my visions are more...I don't know...wild, like animals and stuff. Except like animals doing people things. I'm not sure why. Even my Shaugian one was sharks attacking monkeys on a ship. And I'm not the brightest gem in the mine, but even I could figure out sharks was shaugin and monkeys people...but that did not tell me what ship or when and stuff like that. The rest, I don't know. Though guard dogs feels right, but I don't know what it means.

I've never, you know, like talked to a priest about my visions or anything like that. "

razorback
2018-03-30, 03:10 PM
"Well, Master Firekeeper, perhaps its high time you did. Have any of your forefathers exhibited this kind of prophecy?" he says as he leans back in his chair and takes a long quaff and roughly wipes the froth from his lips, using the motion to swiftly scan their surroundings to see if anyone is paying too close attention. "In any case, it is in my blood to figure out a good puzzle. I think you will be a puzzle who may stump me but, by the Gods, that doesn't mean I have to give up, eh?" he says with a friendly grin.

Darth Ultron
2018-03-30, 11:56 PM
Lagri Firekeeper "Ah, well, no. I'm not a talking to the faith kind of type. It's just not me.

As far as I know, no one in my family has ever had anything like this.

Eh, never really liked puzzles, that is gnome garbage."

A young human male in common clothing is sitting two tables away, with a plate of food and a cup of drink, untouched in front of him. He does seem to be watching the room in your general direction.

razorback
2018-03-31, 03:16 PM
Hemsin ponders what to do. Someone is either watching him, Lagri, both of them or two groups are watching either. Doesn't bode well, in any case. Too often bodies show up in the harbor from an accidental fall in after a hard night of drinking. At least, those are the tales told.
Leaning in and motioning Lagri to do the same, he says in a voice that the dwarf can barely hear. "Look, don't mean to alarm you, but I think you're being followed. Saw a girl in the market today and a fellow here. Don't suppose you have anyone you owe money too or might have angered?"

Darth Ultron
2018-03-31, 10:56 PM
Lagri Firekeeper "Aw, Rocks and Rubble, I don't owe a coin to no one. I know how to handle money. And I just sell meat on a stick...and get visions...why would that anger anyone?

Sure I got fans that shows up to hear my vision stories.
Why would you think anyone is following me?"

razorback
2018-04-01, 05:18 PM
"Look, I don't know what your background is but, as a guard for the city, I saw a lot of unsavory things happening. People get crazy ideas in their head. Maybe on their own... maybe someone plants the seed. It's hard to say. All I know is, if someone had some money, like a wealthy merchant or sailor, and heard that there was a meat monger who could who could tell the future... well, if they thought they could use that to make some extra coin by know what to buy or when to sell... well, someone with a lot of money who can't get enough... they could see the market short one meat monger while they fill their pockets with extra coin, if you catch my meaning. Look I could be wrong, but I could be right. You willing to take a risk on this? I've heard of you, others could have too." Leaning back with a smile as if telling a joke but not looking at the man at the other table, he continues. "Look, you don't know me. For all you know, I could be a crackpot looking to seize you." he paused for a moment thinking. "Is there anywhere you can go... visit someone no one else knows for a couple of days?"

Darth Ultron
2018-04-01, 11:38 PM
Lagri Firekeeper "Well, sure I got some friends and family around the lands. But not like they are a secret.

But you might be worrying too much. Nobody has grabbed me or anything. A lot of people ask about my visions...like you...but they don't attack me or nothing. "

razorback
2018-04-02, 11:18 PM
Hemsin rubbed his chin for a moment, thinking on the other man's words. "Perhaps, perhaps... maybe I'm just getting old." he said with a laugh. "My sis always said I was old for my age... and this is coming from someone nearly 40 years older than me! My kind live long, but still." Taking on a more serious tone, he says quietly "Humor me, if you don't mind. I'd hate to see you disappear on me. I've seen too much bad happen to good people to stay on side watching." with a dark expression on his face. "But, let us talk of happier things. Are you married or have kids?" Hemsin the proceeds to talk to the dwarf for some time over the meal, slowly drinking the second ale more slowly. Perhaps he was getting more paranoid in his old age.
After dinner, he walked the old man home, keeping a paranoid eye out as he marked the man one last time when they left.

Listen check to see if they are being followed
[roll0]
Spot for the same
[roll1]

Darth Ultron
2018-04-03, 07:00 AM
The dwarf just nods.

Lagri Firekeeper talks and chats for the rest of the meal and then you walk him home and he says good night.

After you leave the eatery, there is no sign of the human or anyone else around following or watching.

razorback
2018-04-03, 06:46 PM
Hemsin shakes his head as Lagri move to his home. Guess you are just getting paranoid in your old age. he thought to himself with an internal laugh.
He headed home and, after locking the door, he laid down on his bed and slept, dreaming dark dreams that left him tired the next morning.

Checking his notes, both mental and written, he leaves and heads down to the market as he checks with his contacts while getting some Kaf and a bite to eat.

Not sure what, if anything, you want me to roll or roleplay out meeting with his contacts.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-04, 09:51 PM
The sun rises up over the city to start a new day.

Well, what do you want from the contacts?

There really are no good mechanics for contacts, it's mostly just ''roll a check'' and get information, like the skill Gather Information.

Do you really want like three random rumors a day? It can get a bit much after a couple days. Do you want lots of details to have and sift through and potentially use?

razorback
2018-04-05, 03:04 PM
Maybe a mix of rumors, both potentially useful garbage, so I have to dig through the dirt to get to the good stuff? Depends on whether you want to run a game that way or not.

As a side note, I'm going camping tomorrow and won't be back until Wednesday night. I have no idea what the internet situation is, if anything. I might have cell service between my phone and my work phone but I won't know until I get there.

Hemsin goes out into the various markets, talking to his contacts. Jemus give him a few crumbs but not anything to feed him. Shara is pretty much the same.
Seeing it was still early, he made his way down to Wheel Street to check on Davlop. He paced past the tinker's shop a few times, spying in without being to obvious, to see if he can see the gnome working and what, if any, clients he might have, along with seeing if anyone was casing the place.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-05, 11:42 PM
Davlop is at work in his shop, but then so are most other gnomes and most other craft folks in general. Work starts just before the sun comes up, and continues until sundown. You see a couple of customers through out the day, no one that stands out.

*People have started reporting sightings of large rats near the sewers, and some claim the vermin look to be half shark like! The guards have no interest in delving down into the muck to investigate.

*Rollo Vonderhaven, asmuggler of illegal goods was caught and thrown in jail to await trial. He tells anyone who will listen that he was framed and that the real criminal is an invisible goblin who made him do it.

*Adessa Wealthwood , an elven noble, in a stunning move dismissed her whole crew, leaving a dozen elf crew members stranded in the city.

razorback
2018-04-06, 01:08 PM
Seeing Davlop working and not much going on, he makes his way down to Axel Glimmersheen's work, casing him while he hopes to catch him sneaking out the back in order to meet with some mistress, like his wife suspected. As this meets with little success, he makes his way down to the wharf, hoping to catch Zenbaos as he leaves the ships, maybe finding him meeting with others that might provide a lead.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-07, 10:14 PM
Zenbaos Longbottom works out on the water all day, and a bit before sunset leaves the docks and heads home. He does not stop and talk to anyone, and goes directly home.

razorback
2018-04-13, 03:49 PM
Hemsin cases Zenbaos house for a few hours, not staying in one place and changing his headscarf at times, as he moves about Short Run. He also checks to see if there is a back alley or entrance/exit as he moves about, so as not to draw any attention to himself, while seeing if the gnome strays from home or gets any guests.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-16, 07:22 AM
Like most homes in the city, the gnome homes on the Short Run do have a small alley three to four feet wide that runs along the back of the houses on both sides. And each house has a small back door. For an alley it is fairly clean and not filled with junk or garbage.

Zenbaos Longbottom stays home, leading the normal life of a domesticated guy. No one stops over the house.

razorback
2018-04-18, 05:52 PM
Disgruntled a bit by having spent time fruitlessly, he makes his way down towards the docks, to some of the dive bars he knows sailors will be drowning out their sorrows.
Adessa Wealthwood dismissing her crew, after what happened on the Dolphin, struck an odd chord in Hemsin for some reason he couldn't articulate to himself.

Spending time at the various establishments, it isn't hard for him to pick out elven sailors. While not uncommon, they tended to cluster together and being an elf himself, he knew buying a drink or two could give him a entrance to question some of the sailors, especially if they were already a few sheets into the wind.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-20, 08:59 AM
It is not hard to find the elven sailors at all, even just a casual walk by of a contact along the docks can tell you about them.

They are found, not at a dockside dive bar....but at the Lands End Eatery and Drinkery. The Lands End Eatery and Drinkery is a bit of a step up, maybe like half a step, from a dive bar...and at least makes an effort to look like a nice, but poor, place. And it's run by a half elven couple.

Nearly all of the elven sailors are found there...

razorback
2018-04-23, 10:16 AM
Hemsin, after some digging around, is able to find the group of sailors not at some wharf dive but at The Lands End.
As he enters, he nods at the owners. He wasn't unfamiliar with the establishment or the owners, having helped them years ago. Decent folk, trying to make a living doing what they know.
He sidles up to the bar, not to close to the sailors, as he orders a drink. He lets time pass, pacing himself a bit as he continues to make his way slowly down the bar as opening happen. Once close enough, he pipes in at the first bit of conversation that seems natural.
"Hey, the lot of you friends? Shipsmates, by the look. Getting ready to embark and grabbing a drink on the way out or just returned and getting a good watering?" he says with a smile on his face.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-24, 07:44 AM
Talkative elf that has had a few drinks "Yes, we are shipmates. Or we were. We don't have a ship any more. Any chance you are a sea captain looking for a crew of fine fair folk? Or maybe you know one?"

razorback
2018-04-25, 09:15 AM
Looking at he commoner clothing, he smiles back a the sailor. "Ah, no. Just trying to make my way in the world is all. Maybe buy me an establishment such as this some day.
If I were a captain, I'd hire the lot of ya. But, as it is, barely make ends meet. Wait... you were all on the same ship but not anymore?!?! What happened?" Hemsin says with a look of shock on his face as he moves to sit closer with the group.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-25, 08:31 PM
Talkative elf that has had a few drinks "By all the Tall Trees...I have no idea.

A Moon ago we were all hired as crew. The same way many of us have done before. Wait in Myrrdale, get hired onto a ship, travel up and down the coast for a season, then back to Myrrdale.

But we get here, just pull into port, and our noble patron tells us we are dismissed and no longer needed. And here we are. "

razorback
2018-04-26, 11:37 PM
"Well, sounds like a lowlife if I ever heard one. Merchant? Did he lose his cool or his gold? What was he trading?"

Once he gets an answer out of the elf, he extends his hand. Hemsin. Hemsin Al'Athuin. What be your name? Well, I know a few merchants and captains. See what I can do for you guys. Seem a decent lot. Speaking of which, what as your old captains name? Do you think he would be putting a bad word out on the lot of ya? "

Darth Ultron
2018-04-27, 08:20 AM
Nulys Amahar "I'm Nulys Amahar, deckhand and cook. Our former captain was Adessa Wealthwood, she is a noble merchant. She did not give us any reason, and we did not ask. It is not our way to wonder about such things. And in turn, she should not speak against us. "

razorback
2018-04-27, 03:20 PM
"Well, its a rough situation, whatever the cause. I wish you and your friends the best. It is good that, again, whatever the cause, that each group can walk away without hard feeling towards each other." Taking the last of his drink, he feels in his left pocket where he knows how many coins he has. Pulling out a few coins, he says "Can't buy enough for your whole crew, but how about another one on me before I head home?" as he signals the bartender.

Darth Ultron
2018-04-28, 10:18 PM
Nulys Amahar "Yes, please."

Another elf sailor comes over,

Nulys Amahar "Yes, Inchel?"

Inchel Eilneiros "Nulys, I do not wish to interrupt, but there has been an incident. Tsarra was attacked."

Nulys Amahar "What? Here? Now? Is she alright?"

Inchel Eilneiros "She is hurt, but otherwise fine,"

razorback
2018-04-30, 11:16 AM
Hemsin stands up as he hears of the news. "Do you need to go to your friend, Nulys? Perhaps I can help out?" he says with real sincerity.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-03, 10:57 PM
Nulys Amahar "Of course, if you can help. "

Inchel Eilneiros leads the two of you outside, and around the back of the tavern where four other elves are grouped around a female elf who is sitting on a barrel. She looks slightly wounded, with some still not dried blood.

razorback
2018-05-05, 04:24 PM
Hemsin follows Nulys and Inchel to where the elven maiden is. Kneeling besides her, he says "Don't worry, I don't seek advantage from you." as he touches her on her forehead while invoking the magic of his belt.

Using 1 charge off the healing belt.
[roll0]

Seeing the wounds begin to close, he continues. "I am Hemsin... did you see who did this to you?
Can you describe them? Was it one or more? Did they say anything to you? Do you know why the left you here and which way they went?" and with the last, he looks at the others, to see if they will make any kind of pursuit as he lets her answer while looking around for any clues that might lead back to her attacker.

Searching as best he can with everyone milling about, using the Investigate feat.
[roll1]

Darth Ultron
2018-05-06, 01:22 PM
Tsarra Alfrghymn "Tsarra Alfrghymn of Starsinger of Sehanine Moonbow, navigator by pursuit.

What attacked me, was a thing, a monster. An aberration for sure, an unnatural thing. Some horrid combination of octopus and wolf I think.

But it was not alone. It had a human handler directing it. A human with a black silk domino mask and a dagger....and a cruel laugh. His clothing was all back and made of silk.

I escaped with my magic....they could not follow. I know not where they are now."

The elfs around are watchful, but no one is making any move out of the area.

Tsarra Alfrghymn's few remaining wounds close as you touch her. Her torn clothing has bite marks. You don't see much else of notice with everyone about contaminating the area.

razorback
2018-05-07, 12:53 PM
"Where did... it attack you? Did this man say anything to you? How far away from here did it happen?" he said as he reaches a hand down to help her up, while looking at the sailors. Probably no hope of finding any tracks now, let alone actually getting a hold of this oddly dressed man.
Looking back at Nulys he says "We should get her inside. Not sure if your boys can fan out, but if they do, they should go in at least pairs if not three together."
Once back in the Lands End, he looks at Tsarra. "Do you have any idea why this human attacked you?"

Darth Ultron
2018-05-08, 07:07 PM
Tsarra Alfrghymn "Just over there down the shore line. He did not say anything I remember, but he was laughing a lot.

The elven sailors break into groups to wander off. Nulys Amahar takes them aside to speak with them.

Tsarra Alfrghymn "I have no idea. I've only been in this city a couple hours...not even a day. I have never done anything to anyone. I'm just a navigator. "

razorback
2018-05-09, 03:43 PM
"I take it that it was a crazed laugh rather than one from a good joke? What magic did you use to escape?" he asks as he watches Nulys speak to the sailors.
Inside the Land's End, he nods to the waitress as he mutters "Mulled wine if you got it, eh?" as he sits Tsarra down. "Well, your safe now, here.
I'll be right back." Once outside, he moves to the spot where she had pointed near the shore, his sharp eyes like gems in the night as he scans for any tracks or clues that could help.

Not sure if you want a reroll on the Search but if so, here it is, using the Investigate feat.
[roll0]

Darth Ultron
2018-05-09, 09:41 PM
Tsarra Alfrghymn "I just remember the laughter. The magic was aquatic escape, I became a wave of water for a short time.

The waitress nods and brings over a cup of mulled wine.

Down the shore is the attack sight...a mix of the small elven tracks, the larger human ones, and the lines made by tentacles. They moved right forward and attacked.

razorback
2018-05-15, 08:39 PM
Once he has had a chance to review the tracks and gather what he could, Hemsin finds the sailors and has them meet back at the Land's End.

When everyone back he addresses the group. "Look, I think you should take this to the watch. If some madman with some aberration is running around attack innocents... well, it's not good for anyone. But,..." he says as he looks at Tsarra .."it depends on you to give your story to the guard. Will you do it?" he asks with a monotone voice, trying not to sway her as years of training come back up.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-15, 09:23 PM
Tsarra Alfrghymn "I don't think talking to the...human..watch is a good idea. Humans don't care about elves. For all the openness, this is still a human city.

As, I did nothing...maybe this was just a random attack. Humans do that sort of thing.

razorback
2018-05-16, 02:07 PM
Hemsin scrutinizes the elf maiden for a few moments before shrugging his shoulders. "The choice is yours. Yes, this is a human city but I doubt they will like some madman with a creature such as this terrorizing its citizens. I could be wrong, I've been so before, but I don't think so this time." he watches here a few moments longer before continuing. "Do you have somewhere safe to stay the night? What about the rest of you?" he says as he includes all the sailors.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-16, 07:14 PM
Tsarra Alfrghymn "No. Under more normal circumstances we would all sleep on the boat. We are all sailors and the sea is in your blood. " She says with a shrug.

Nulys Amahar "We do intend to stay together."

razorback
2018-05-17, 01:09 PM
"Well..." Hemsin starts and stalls, rubbing his chin, as he tries to be a bit diplomatic but decides the sailors would prefer to hear it straight "... since you are all without ship, where do you plan on spending the night? Not here? Not on the streets? The guard will pick the lot of you up. Be down a few more coin once you're before the magistrate and you'll be lucky to get a hot meal and a cot for your trouble." with slight irritation in his voice. He knew other sailors and realized that this was the way they lived, but it irritated him nonetheless.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-17, 08:53 PM
Nulys Amahar "We don't intend to stay in the city for the night. We are fine with sleeping outdoors. We would after all, sleep on the deck of the ship. " says with a slight shrug.

Tsarra Alfrghymn "After the attack, we might be better leaving the city anyways. "

razorback
2018-05-18, 12:32 PM
"Outdoors, like in a park or the street? Or, outdoors, like outside the city?" Hemsin says, a bit dismayed by the former.
Once they respond, Hemsin says "Look, like you said, this is a human city and we are all elves. I don't feel comfortable with all of this. It could be some human... or human preying on our kind. I don't take kindly to that at all. You guys will do your thing, and I respect that, but I'd like to keep up with you, if you're still in Baldur's Gate. Feel free to look me up." with that , he gives them his address.

Where is his office in the city?

Darth Ultron
2018-05-18, 10:14 PM
Nulys Amahar "Definitely outside the city. We know humans don't get the whole sleeping in parks idea. "

Tsarra Alfrghymn "We will keep in touch. Always good to know one of the People here.

Where ever you wanted it to be?

The second story level of a warehouse or shop?

razorback
2018-05-19, 11:35 PM
"Of course, of course. If you need a friend, let me now. I take it you will seek work or passage back to Myrrdale? If I can't convince you otherwise, then I'll take my leave. Good night and take care. Seek me out in need or in friendship." he says with a small nod of his head before heading back to his apartment. He kept to the busier, well lit streets as he made his way back, double back in a couple of spots to see if he was being followed, before moving back down to the Docks West to the West Gate. Checking through his apartment to see if it's clear, he locks the door and fall into a heavy sleep.

I figure he's somewhere in the Westland Gate.
Not quite the slums, not the docks, but definitely not in the Merchants Quarter.
This (https://i0.wp.com/www.whodaresrolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Baldurs-Gate.jpeg)is the map I'm using, unless you have an issue with it or have something else you can point me to.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-20, 09:03 PM
Nulys Amahar "Of course, we are sailors. We will find a ship that needs a crew soon enough. But thanks for your help. "

Tsarra Alfrghymn "We should be in the area at least a day or so, maybe we will meet again."

The streets have the normal amount of foot traffic for the night, but no one is following or noticing you at all.

It's an odd map...that somehow does not have the normal landmarks(where is the Wide or the SeaTower?) but it's fine.

Did you still figure the second story of something?

razorback
2018-05-23, 01:39 PM
Waking up in the morning, Hemsin goes out to relieve himself before coming back up with a bucket of cold water to clean himself up.
He pondered what happened the night before as he pushed the fog of sleep back. He sat at the edge of his bed, thinking. In his head, something didn't add up but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. He couldn't tell if the drink was enough to muddle him or if was just tired from restless sleeping.
It was early but he couldn't tell what time and hadn't heard the bells rung, that he can remember, so he dressed quickly as he made his way down to Davlop's shop to see if he was up to anything suspicious.

Yup, upstairs above some other business is perfect. I was just wondering which district.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-23, 03:52 PM
As you walk into the street, notice a single city guardsman leaning against the wall of your building. He quickly gets up and approaches as you walk out the door.

Tarith Cottingley "Hail there Hemsin...it's me Tarith Cottingley. You look good..I mean well. Guess private life is good for you. I mean...well...you were not attacked last night....were you?"

Tarith is a typical human male guards man, tall and strong, with a full beard and weather beaten skin.

razorback
2018-05-25, 10:03 AM
Hemsin, seeing the movement, stops and turns to Tarith Cottingley before realizing. "Hail, Tarith." he says with a smile that he manages to keep as the guardsman speaks.
"Ah, there are good days and there are bad. Being on the other side of the fence has it's perks, like waking up when you want and such, but its a lot of cold and hungery hours searching things out." he says with a genuine, self-deprecating laugh. "My choices were mine and I wouldn't make'em differently, but it was sure nice knowing those coins came in at a steady pace. Now, not so much." with a shake of his head as he tries to keep his distance without seeming to. "What? Me, no. No action for me, must have gotten a bad rumor Tarith. Actually took the night off, not much in the way of business right now. Say, you know of anyone you or your men couldn't help because it wasn't in your purview but could use an investigator like me? Like I said, business is pretty thin right now and I could use something to pass the time rather than waiting for business to come in the door."

What does Hemsin remember of Tarith? Straight and on the up and up or was he on any criminals payrolls that he knew of? A oddities and such?
Any rolls necessary?

Darth Ultron
2018-05-25, 06:40 PM
Tarith Cottingley "Well, that is all good. At least you did not get attacked. A lot of elves did last night. It's a mystery. I was kind of hoping, that you being an elf and all, might know something to help the investigation."

Tarith Cottingley is a very by the book sort of guard. He keeps to himself, and never sees anything happening. He was never involved with anything shady, as far as you know. Though he never gets any medals or promotions as he just does the basic job.

razorback
2018-05-26, 06:06 PM
"Really? All over the city or in a specific quarter? High or low society? Tarith, if this gets out, the chief and the mayor could be in deep water. Not with just us elves and the half-elven, but anyone else who might think they are a target... Tell me what you can and I'll do what I can to help. Anything new I can help gather for you, I will." he says sincerely.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-26, 07:50 PM
Tarith Cottingley "Ah, well, no real pattern that we can see. All elves. No half elves. All over the city. Twelve attacks, eleven deaths. The attacks happened while they were alone, so, so far we don't have any witnesses. Other then the one survivor.

They want to keep this out of the firelight, and it does seem the elves feel mostly the same way as they have not made a big deal about the deaths either. At least not in public.

It seems to be some sort of octopus monster, but on land.

It's a lot of murders for one night. But good thing is all the elf families took the bodies, so there is not a stack of corpse in the city morgue. "

razorback
2018-05-28, 12:38 AM
The thought of eleven elven lives snuffed out in one night...
"Wait, they all took their bodies?!?!" still a bit in shock by the whole situation. "Look, I know I'm not on the force anymore but, if you give me some of the names, I can help you hunt down who did this. Another set of eyes, asking questions you won't get answers to..." he leaves the last bit out there, seeing if Tarith will pick up on the thread.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-28, 12:52 AM
Tarith Cottingley "Well, I was kinda hoping you were attacked. Like there is no pattern to the attacks. So I was hoping to get a pattern.

You mean like talk to the elves? Well, they don't say much. They just, well, sort of act like elves, all the time.

I got a copy of the names, " He holds out a small square of paper.

razorback
2018-05-28, 10:05 PM
Hemsin smirks a bit as he reaches for the paper.
"Well, we can be that way, it's true. Comes from the long lives, I suppose, though we feel each loss just like any other race." as he tilts his head slightly, looking at the names. "I'll ask around, give my condolences. If I find anything out, I'll make sure to share it with you." as he scans the list for Tsarra or any of the other sailors along with any other name he might recognize. "Land octopus? Sounds like a sailors tale of mermaids and such. But you can't deny the body count. Any witnesses that I could talk to?"
Once he gets his answers, Hemsin chats a bit with Tarith about the old days and how things were going in the guard.
"Well, like I said, anything I find I'll relay back to you. Days? In which section of town? Rather give you this info directly, don't want word getting around I'm getting sentimental in my retirement." while keeping most of the bite out of his comment.

Darth Ultron
2018-05-28, 10:25 PM
Tsarra Alfrghymn's name is not on the list.

Tarith Cottingley "Well, thanks for the help. I can keep your name out of it you know. If you want.

Yea, land octopus, we guess. If it's not an illusion, maybe it's a summoned monster? The only tentacle one we though of was an otyugh, they do come up from time to time. But they don't eat just elves or anything.

Well, our only real witness is the survivor, the 12th one attacked. She survived. It's the last name on the list, Trelliss Maedryth.

I can just stop back here...tomorrow, like I did today.

razorback
2018-05-29, 12:44 PM
"Yeah, for the time being, at least. Some of my clients and informants might not like it if I was still working closely with the guard, but doing the right thing is the right thing.
Do you know where I can find this Trelliss Maedryth? Best to start with her while her memory is fresh."

Darth Ultron
2018-05-29, 09:21 PM
Tarith Cottingley "Ah, well, no, not exactly. I guess she just went home? As you can guess she told us about nothing. Maybe she will talk to you though? "

razorback
2018-05-30, 05:44 PM
Rubbing his chin, Hemsin says Well, that's odd. I'll hunt her down unless you have an address. Might save me a day of hunting."

If/when we are done with this conversation, if he can't provide an address then Hemsin will hunt down Trelliss using Urban Tracking for an hour in the market.
Gather Info
[roll0]

Darth Ultron
2018-05-30, 06:26 PM
Tarith Cottingley nods and heads off.

None of the common 'talk of the town' even knows that there were attacks on elves lat night.

Until you find an elf carpet seller at the Wide, that not only knows about the attacks, but knows Trelliss Maedryth and has her address.

razorback
2018-05-31, 11:19 AM
Hemsin, in his conversation with the carpet seller, asks "Were you attacked, too, or someone you know? If they are targetting our kind, we need to make sure everyone knows to keep with others for safety."

Sense Motive to see if the carpet seller is on the up and up
[roll0]

Darth Ultron
2018-05-31, 04:02 PM
The elf sure seems to be just a plain and simple merchant.

"I was not attacked. I retire early. I do know of three attacks. The only one I know personally is Ascal Cralee, he was killed while night fishing along the docks."

razorback
2018-06-01, 12:28 PM
"Alright, you take care of yourself. If there were a couple of attacks... well, could be a coincidence or something else. I appreciate the information, either way." Bidding the carpet seller a good day, Hemsin makes his way near Trelliss' residence. He circles the block to check for anyone that might be staking out her home before making his way to the door and knocking.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-02, 09:37 PM
Trelliss Maedryth's house looks simple enough; a wooden house in the elven area. The house and the street around it are nice and clean.

Other then a couple people walking down the street, you don't see anyone suspicious around.

razorback
2018-06-03, 04:18 PM
Hemsin walks up to the door and gives a knock. He tries to make his face look nonchalant, with mixed success, as he tries not to look offensive, knowing that this Trelliss was almost killed the night before.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-03, 06:13 PM
An elven woman answers the door

Trelliss Maedryth "Sweet light. I'm Trelliss Maedryth. Are you Evon Starsword, of course? "

razorback
2018-06-06, 12:35 PM
Hemsin seems a bit startled by the entrance of Trelliss. "Uh, no. I'm not... was it Evon Starsword? No, not him. I'm Hemsin... Hemsin Al'Athuin. I've come on a delicate matter. Not sure if it's something on your doorstep or in front of these Evon fellow. It's about what happened last night. Same thing happened to a friend of mine and I'm looking at getting to the bottom of it. Seems a bit more widespread than that... and... it?!? Seems to be targetting our kind. Can't have that happening while I have a say in it, if you catch my meaning." he says in a slightly lower than normal voice as he looks about and doesn't seen anyone about.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-06, 06:43 PM
Trelliss Maedryth "You'd best come inside.

Trelliss leads you into a small sitting room. The room is warm with a sun set motif, all yellows and golds and oranges with a little red.

A golden try with a tea pot and four small cups floats in the middle of the room.

Trelliss sits in one of the smaller chairs and waves her hand at the other chairs in the room.

Trelliss Maedryth "It's so horrible. The death of so many. "

razorback
2018-06-06, 10:56 PM
Hemsin comes in and takes a seat once the elf maiden sits. "Yes, it is. Like I said, one of my friends, also an elf lady as yourself, was attacked and managed to escape. Can you tell me what happened? Where it happened? What your assailant looked like or if they said anything?" he says, face intent and focused on her words.

Sense Motive, trying to determine if she's telling the truth and/or altering her story/keeping stuff back.
[roll0]

Darth Ultron
2018-06-07, 12:23 PM
Trelliss Maedryth "It was just after sunset. I often leave the city to watch the sun set over the waters.

I was on my way back along. Just inside the gate is a small alley, Little Fox. It's nice and kept clean, so I use it as a short cut to stay off the main streets. It's often empty. But this night it was not. A human was in there, with a...creature of some sort. An octopus with claws and teeth.

He did not say much more then...'kill her' I think....and that thing attacked me. I screamed and it was just a short run back to the gate. I got away and they did not follow. Two guards went down the ally, but I was told there was nothing there.

Later I found out about the other attacks, and all the deaths.""

razorback
2018-06-07, 02:20 PM
Hemsin tilts his head a bit as she mentions it happened near water, digesting her story.
Putting a finger to his temple, he thinks for a moment once she is done.
"What was this human wearing? Was he tall or short? Thin or heavy?" he asked as he pondered what had happened to Tsarra. He doubted Tsarra went there often but it sounded like Trelliss may have been a regular. <Was she being stalked or just bad spot at a bad time? he thought to himself.
"What do you know of the other attacks? Anything you can give will help me hunt down the man and his... whatever that creature is that follows his orders."

Did Hemsin get anything from his sense motive?

Also, if she doesn't mention it, he will ask Tarith if they were all females and, if not, what was the breakdown of men to women.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-07, 03:33 PM
Trelliss Maedryth "The human was thin and short, and just in common clothing for a human. Browns and grays. He did not have a weapon or anything else that I saw.

The others? Well, like we they were attacked when they were alone. All elves. I know I'm the only one who lived. I'm not sure we had any connections, other then being elves.

It's too bad this is not a more elven city, as we could just ask the animals what happened."

The list of 12 names has 10 male elf names, and two female elf names (and that last one is Trelliss Maedryth). Tsarra Alfrghymn is female, but not on the list. So the total is ten male and one female killed, with two female survivors.

Trelliss Maedryth is as she seems, and honest young elven maden....you get the sense she would have a hard time even telling a lie.

razorback
2018-06-08, 01:44 PM
"You aren't from Bard's Gate?" Hemsin says, a little bit surprised.
"I was born and grew up here... guess I need to get out a bit more, I suppose." he says with a sheepish grin. "But, from what I know, yes, this would be a whole other issue if this had been an elven city." He thinks for a brief moment before continuing.
"How long have you been in the city? Do you have any friends you feel safe with?
I'm concerned, even though we just met, for your safety." his thought turn to Tsarra before he refocuses. "Maybe someone you can stay a few days, just to make sure? This is all very sinister..." he lets the last trail off.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-08, 05:23 PM
Trelliss Maedryth "I've been here about five years.

Thnak you for your care.

Evon Starsword is on his way over now, he has kindly offered to be my body guard for a while. I will be fine.

It is very scary, I have never been the victim of a crime in all my years here.

razorback
2018-06-09, 03:32 PM
Keeping seated and calm while not getting closer, Hemsin nods and gives a smile. "It is no problem, Miss Maedryth. If you don't mind, I will wait until Mister Starsword shows up. I do appreciate your help in this. If anything else comes up and you don't want to take it to the guard, please bring it to me. They can conduct their own investigation and I'll do one for us. If I do find something out and you come up, do you mind me telling them about you or did you want to keep your involvement quiet?
I don't want to involve you in what you don't want to be involved." he says cheerily. Once she answers, he engages in small talk while waiting for Starsword to arrive.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-09, 03:43 PM
Trelliss Maedryth "Keep it quiet, please"

A couple minutes later, Evon Starsword a male elf in elven chain mail and a sword, shows up.

Trelliss makes small talk, and introduces everyone.

razorback
2018-06-09, 06:19 PM
Hemsin, once Trelliss introduces them, grips the other elf's hand in greeting. "Well met. As Miss Maedryth has mentioned, I am Hemsin. Please keep the young maiden safe." Turning back to Trelliss, he continues "You look to be in safe company, so I will bid you good day." as he sketches a small bow. "Until next time, keep safe both of you." and leaves. He checks out the surroundings as he walks back to the market, keeping it from being obvious. He thinks upon Trelliss' words and what could have motivated this human to attack elves. He didn't think it was uncommon for elves having a hard time understanding the motiviation of some of the shorter lived races, especially orcs and humans. He shook his head with a sigh as it didn't matter, someone was out killing. It didn't matter that it was his kind. Well, maybe a bit, if he was being honest with himself, but someone out committing multiple murders with some hellspawn... well, he would help if he could.
As he walks, he thinks of looking up Lagri but, at this time of day, the dwarf would be busy. Instead, he heads over to Davlop's shop on Short Run to see if anything was afoot with the gnome. <When it rains it pours> he thinks to himself.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-09, 07:29 PM
Trelliss Maedryth says a quiet thank you. Evon Starsword is quiet and just nods.

Davlop Longbottom 's shop is bust enough for the gnome, it does not look like he has a lot of work..but it's enough to keep him busy. Other then working, he does not seem to be doing much.

razorback
2018-06-11, 12:07 AM
Hemsin spends the rest of the morning and early afternoon trying to catch any rumors that may be about regarding Gerdol Longbottom or about the attack on the elves. Once the afternoon gets late, he heads over to the market to visit Lagri. He had a bunch of balls in the air and it was the bad jester that let any of them fall, let alone all, so he kept his mind on his tasks as he spoke to his contacts.

Spend about 6 hours Gather Info

Gerdol brothers
[roll0]

Elf attacks
[roll1]

General rumors
[roll2]

Darth Ultron
2018-06-11, 11:19 AM
Lagri Firekeeper's stall is empty, but then so are a couple others in the Wide market. Not too many, but the empty stalls do stand out against the market clutter. You don't see any elves in the Wide.

Gerdol brothers-Nothing, there is not even any gnome gossip.

Elf attacks- Mumtaz Steeltusk has been boasting at the Deadly Troll Drinkery that he killed a dozen or so evils over night with just his whip, though he has no proof other then a necklace of fresh elven ears.

General rumors-

*The City Watch was unusually active during the late night and early morning, and they have offered no reason for the activity.

*Today must have been some sort of elf holiday as few elves were seen out and about in the city

*There might be something in the water again, A number of people have been complaining of hallucinations and blurred vision.

razorback
2018-06-11, 01:59 PM
Hemsin has a dark look on his face as he hears the rumors of Mumtaz Steeltusk.
<Of course, rumors are just that, until I can verify otherwise. Best to get this bit of info to Tarith before I look into it myself. he thinks to himself.
As he finally makes his way down to The Wide, he makes his way down to Lagri's stall... only to find it empty. Going to the next stall, he inquires "Hey, you seen the old dwarf that was here yesterday? Made an order that I was supposed to pick up today but I don't see the grey beard there."

Darth Ultron
2018-06-11, 08:07 PM
Guy at the next stall shrugs, "He did not come here today. So I have not seen him. Sorry. You can try back tomorrow."

razorback
2018-06-12, 06:41 PM
Frowning to himself, Hemsin thanks the merchant and says he'll be back tomorrow to collect his things.
As he moves through the masses, he notices eyes on him and a small murmurs of "Elf" float to his ears as he becomes distinctly aware of the notice he is attracting.

Moving out the marketplace, he makes sure he doesn't attract any other notice, or followers, as he makes his way down to the Deadly Troll Drinkery. Checking the swords at his waist and focusing on the small magicks he knew, he makes his way down, face drawn into a scowl to match his surroundings.

I take it the Deadly Troll Drinkery is a dive.
Not sure what knowledge check to find out what he knows about it.
[roll0] + appropriate skill

Does he know about Mumtaz Steeltusk?
[roll1] + appropriate skill

Darth Ultron
2018-06-12, 07:46 PM
The Deadly Troll Drinkery is located in a not so nice neighborhood under a small warehouse, making it a 'basement tavern'. The wooden building is quite old and has seen better days, and shows signs of lots of repair work...often mismatching. The large wooden troll drinking a mug is easy enough to spot, as it's right next to the stone stairs down to the drinkery door.

The common room is full of very cheap tables and chairs, and a long bar. The watresses and barkeeps have on green leather coats and hoods, maybe vaguely looking like trolls.

The place is about half full with customers....all rough looking, all armed. There is a mix of races, but you see no evles or halflings or dwarves...but there are slightly more half orcs.

The Deadly Troll Drinkery is, of course, a dive. A place for violent, undesirable people. The guards mostly look the other way, as it does keep such people off the street....and they mostly hurt and kill each other...occasionally.

Mumtaz Steeltusk is a typical low end worker that moves from job to job, often shady, if not illegal ones. He has the typical mile log crime sheet and is a 'regular' in jail, but only for minor offenses. He also has a very big, very loud mouth.

razorback
2018-06-14, 05:00 PM
Hemsin is keenly aware of being the only elf in The Deadly Troll Drinkery.
Walking up to the bar, he looks at the barkeep and asks "Gimme sumpthin cheap an' strong, eh." he says a bit gruffer than normal as he scans the room while putting a coin on the counter. He looks around trying to spot anyone he knows and gets a feel of the room, trying to see who might be amiable to talking for a few drinks or coins.

How much is a drink?

Darth Ultron
2018-06-14, 06:26 PM
Barkeep "Troll Gut is a silver"

While the folks in the front and middle of the common room are drinking and carrying on, the people seated along the back wall look to be of a different type. Most are sitting alone at a table, other then someone occasionally coming over to sit and talk with them.

A half orc, with bright blonde hair and make up and nice clothing, under a long back cloak does stand out.

A kobold sits alone in the far back corner on a empty crate looking around the room and watching.

The rest are the more typical humans in dark cloaks, trying to hide most of their features.

razorback
2018-06-15, 02:27 PM
<Hmmm, human with dark cloak... maybe a coincidence? Hemsin thinks to himself as he looks around the room while taking a drink after handing over a silver.
"Figured I'd see a card game or dicing. No such luck here?" he says to the barkeep?

Darth Ultron
2018-06-15, 10:38 PM
Barkeep shrugs "People come here to drink...but don't have much money for much else. They do fight most days. Sometimes the bet on dagger throwing."

razorback
2018-06-17, 09:17 AM
Hemsin has a look of disappointment on his face as he nods at the barkeep and then scrounges another silver up. "Well, if that's the case, give me a nother then. Won't be going to waste on a card game, I suppose.?" Once he has his has his second drink, he moves to an open table next to someone else, not to close but not to far from the black clothed people.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-18, 06:18 PM
As the night gets later the place fills up more and gets much louder.

Another hour and each person starts to make loud boasts about what they have done recently. Made some money, got out of jail, killed a rust monster....and a half orc that shows off his necklace of elf ears that he killed a night ago...

razorback
2018-06-19, 07:10 PM
Hemsin, keenly aware of eyes on him, drinks every time he feels the hostile eyes drag across him.
As the half orc brags, he does his best to keep the anger from his face, struggling to keep his composure neutral as he takes a swig of his drink.
While he doesn't linger at all on the half orc, he always keeps him somewhere in his vision, usually at the corner. He watches for others as they come or go, looking for a friendly face... or an unfriendly one, cognizant of keeping drinking while not drinking too quickly to affect his wits or reflexes.

Hemsin is trying to get a feel of what this half orc is up to.
If/when the half orc makes noise of leaving, he will finish his drink and head for the door at a normal pace while looking for cover so he can tail the half orc.
If the half orc just leaves, he'll give him a five count before making his way to the door and follow him while seeming a bit tipsy.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-22, 02:10 PM
Just about everyone gives Hemsin at least one dirty look, but no one seems to be making any sort of move.

The half orc with the elf ear necklace sits with another table of half orcs and they drink and have a good time.

A bit later the half orc gets up and makes a loud announcement that he must leave now, and clean up the city of more elves. He gets a cheer from half the room, then he heads out the door.

razorback
2018-06-25, 02:47 PM
As the half-orc begins to make noise about leaving, Hemsin finishes the drink he's been nursing and heads for the door at a normal pace, craning his head a bit with an audible crack. He stumbles slightly as him moves and walks out the door. Once outside the door, he steadies himself as he looks around bleary eyed as he stumbles his way to the nearest alley, making a retching sound when he gets there.

This is an act. He's seeing if anyone is looking when outside the door.
Once in the alley, he's waiting for his new friend, which he is going to tail at a distance of about half a block.
Listen
[roll0]
Spot
[roll1]

Not hiding or MS as he isn't trying to be sneaky.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-25, 10:04 PM
No one moves or does anything as you leave the drinkery.

The half orc with the necklace of elf ears, makes his way down the street slowly. He does stumble a bit, and it does not seem to be an act.

He, naturally, turns off the main street on to a bit darker side street...heading towards the poor part of the city.

razorback
2018-06-27, 02:23 PM
Hemsin, seeing his quarry going around the corner, quickens his pace just a hair as he moves to the edge and peers around the corner now moving with intent, quiet and clinging to shadows.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-27, 09:58 PM
Up ahead, the half orc stops to lean over a rain barrel for several moments. He rocks on his feet, and does not move for several minutes.

razorback
2018-06-29, 05:09 PM
Aware of their keen vision of orcs, and the half-breeds, in the dark, Hemsin slows his pace as he moves to somewhere that can provide a modicum of cover while watching who he assumes is Mumtaz Steeltusk. He stands patiently at what he assumes is the half-orc retching but doesn't hear anything. After a few minutes of nothing happening, he wary of the situation. Moving from behind cover as best and quietly as he can, he strains his vision and hearing to see if the half-orc is faking or if he is passed out as he inches his way closer and closer.

Listen
[roll0]
Spot
[roll1]
Hide
[roll2]
Move Silently
[roll3]

Just wanted to check in and see if you are ok with the pacing.
Not sure if you're looking for something out of my posts that I'm not giving.

Darth Ultron
2018-06-29, 08:29 PM
The half orc half stands at the rain barrel for several minutes. He does not make much noise at all, just keeps he head mostly down over the barrel. He does sway a bit on his feet, but does not look to be a sleep, just not moving much.

The pace is fine with me.
I'm not 'looking ' for anything...and if I was, I'd mention it.

Are you ok with the pacing? Are you looking for something?

razorback
2018-07-09, 10:43 AM
Hemsin waits in the shadows, quiet as he can be, as he watches his quarry. He pauses about 10 feet from Mumtaz, his senses firing as a small voice in the back of his head warns him about being this close, as he waits to see if the half-orc is going to move or not.

Thanks for the patience the last week.

As far as the game, I'm happy with the pacing. I picture this as a slow-burning game.
While in a dangerous spot right now, I picture his patience and forethought are going to keep him out of combat and alive longer than jumping in feet first at every opportunity.

Darth Ultron
2018-07-10, 04:43 PM
Mumtaz Steeltusk stands fairly still for a couple of long minutes....but then eventually starts walking again.

With a bit of a spring in his step, he walks along, and eventually to some simply row houses. They look quite old and run down, and he walks over to one and uses a small keep to go in the front door.

No problem.

The pacing is a bit slow...not like the evil cosmic horror was going to show up in like post #5...

razorback
2018-07-19, 09:13 PM
No worries, wasn't expecting in the first few posts, either.
Sorry, been a rough few weeks but things should be back to normal-ish.

Hemsin continues to trail the thug, not sure if he had noticed him or not. Seeing him lead to a house and berthing inside, he shrugs as he notes the street and address in his mental ledger before moving around to a corner to keep an eye on the house for a bit.
Once nothing happens, and the night begins to wear on his long-lived bones, keeping an eye on his rear as he makes his way back to his office, to rest for the night.
When morning draws itself, Hemsin is tired and disheveled. He checks his mail bin to see if anything was dropped off before heading down to the market. He was hungry and, to be a bit honest with himself, a tad hungover. He was looking for something to settle his stomach. Goats milk and a meat pie might do it...

Darth Ultron
2018-07-21, 10:45 PM
There is no light coming from the half orc house, and after only a couple minutes...no noise what so ever.

The mail box is empty, but seems to have gotten some new spiders living in it that have covered the top with webs.

razorback
2018-07-23, 12:49 PM
Stomach feeling like acid after the rotgut they gave him last night, Hemsin makes his way down to the market as he reconsiders his choices, settling for some light broth as he makes his way down to Lagri's stall, seeing if the dwarf made it in today.

Darth Ultron
2018-07-24, 10:30 PM
Lagri Firekeeper is at his normal stall, cutting up chunks of meat with some axes and knives. No one is around his stall.

The rest of the Wide is fairly quiet as everyone is setting up in the morning.

razorback
2018-07-25, 10:48 AM
Taking notice of anyone out of place, Hemsin approaches the stall with a smile on his face. "Missed you yesterday, graybeard. Catching ill or did you have to much drink the night before?"

Darth Ultron
2018-07-25, 01:04 PM
You don't see anyone near by out of place. Everyone you can see is working to set something up or do some task. There are only a couple shoppers around, mostly the Wide is empty at this early hour.

Lagri Firekeeper smiles back "Oh, well little of both. We dwarves do have the constitution of a mountain, but it's not like we never get sick. But a bucket of chicken soup, and I'm fine. "

razorback
2018-07-25, 03:32 PM
Hemsin takes a mock step with his hands up "Just remember, friends shouldn't share everything." he says with a grin on his face. "But, I am glad your feeling better. I was just making sure you were ok. I have some leads I'm running down, so I need to get moving along, but if you need me for anything, let me know. You know how to get a hold of me." he waits a few moments before waving off to look for Tarith, hunting him down at his usual haunts.

Darth Ultron
2018-07-25, 04:54 PM
Lagri Firekeeper nods. "Thanks." and goes back to cutting his meat.

Tarith Cottingley is eventually found at the Sword and Shield Tavern. A small quiet tavern run by an ex-guard near the guardhouse. The place is about half full of guards, most of them dressed and on duty.

razorback
2018-07-26, 10:38 AM
Hemsin was surprised how long it took finding Tarith but, to his chagrin, he was at Sword and Shield. "Of course he is." he thinks to himself.
He looks around, a bit uncomfortably as some still remember the rumor of him and his accusation about Dogul. Nodding to a few friendly faces, he finally spots Tarith. Catching his eye, he motions to an empty table not too close to anyone else as he sits. "Busy day for you, eh? You on or off duty right now?" he asks when Tarith approaches.

Darth Ultron
2018-07-26, 01:40 PM
Tarith Cottingley he has a small clay mug of apple juice on the table ""Well again, I'm off, my shift does not start until Highsun.

What brings you around?"

razorback
2018-07-27, 11:02 AM
"Well, at least you have a little time before out there making an honest living." he says with a smile. Then, quieter, he says "So, I spoke to Trelliss Maedryth. Not a lot to go off of. I'll keep checking up on her. She doesn't want to get involved with anything official, so if you can keep any of your boys from snooping around, might make it easier for me.
Also ran into some rumors, and a bit more, of a colorful character named Mumtaz Steeltusk. Big half-orc with a string of fresh elf ears he wears around his neck. Can't imagine thats sanitary let alone legal. Might want to look into that. Tailed him from the Deadly Troll Drinkery to what I assume is his home." Pulling out a scrap of paper, he quickly jots down the address then hands it to Tarith. "Here. You might want to, or have one of your boys, look into it. Timing seems a bit close to be a coincidence... that's about I'll I've managed to dig up. Still chasing down a couple of rumors.
What about you, you hear or see anything?"

Darth Ultron
2018-07-28, 09:24 AM
Tarith Cottingley By Helm's Eyes, I will look into this half orc. Some how though, I doubt he is the killer. Not even one of orc blood would be dumb enough to walk around with ears from people he murdered. Not to mention, none of the elves killed even had their ears cut off.

The elves have been quiet about it all.

As far as we know, there were not any attacks last night......but then, if their was, it's possible the elves are hiding them from us too. Or maybe it was a quiet night. "

razorback
2018-07-30, 02:27 PM
"Do that. For all, I know they could be gnome ears or fakes but best to check 'em out.
Still, not the best news. Quiet last night? I could do for more of that. I have a few cases going on that I need to check on but I will keep on the prowl tonight. Even if it wasn't Mumtaz and he gets yanked off the streets, there is someone with some creature stalking what would seem to be innocent people..." the last bit trails off as he rubs his temple for a moment. Eye closed, he asks "Besides their elven blood, was there any other connection you found between them?
Familial, business... feuds? Yeah, it happens in my kind, too, though many are loath to admit it. I bet if we dig deep enough, there is probably something there." His eyes slowly open and Tarith can tell he is tired.

Darth Ultron
2018-08-01, 04:20 PM
Tarith Cottingley "There is no connecting all the victims other then they are elves. It looks like some sort of attack directed at elves, but there seems to be no motive other then that. Still for a person or persons to move around the city and attack elves would be some real hatred. That is a lot of mass murder.

I guess there could be more personal elven things....but they don't talk to us much.

You don't look so good...could you use a strong drink?"

razorback
2018-08-06, 12:12 PM
"No, I had enough rotgut last night to last me for some time. I could use a few extra hours of shut-eye... I'll see if I can turn in early tonight. Have some things to check on outside this.
Can I meet you here about the same time of day if I find anything? Might not be everyday but might be.
In the meantime, I'll take my leave and we can talk later."

Darth Ultron
2018-08-06, 09:11 PM
Tarith Cottingley "sounds good to me. I'll stop by here at least for a bit each mid morning. You can stop by if you have something. Lets hope we have another quiet night."

razorback
2018-08-07, 02:22 PM
Hemsin nods as he turns and walks out the door. He thinks about the open cases he has and decides to on Axel Glimmersheen, as his wife was paying him good money to find out if he was cheating on her.
After a few hours of following Axel without any results, though he did note who and when he met people.
He then makes his way down to see Davlop and then Zenbaos. Once he has followed them for some time, he goes out to his contacts and sees if he can find anything about the Longbottom brothers or the attacks on elves.

Darth Ultron
2018-08-08, 10:53 PM
There is no gossip about the Longbottom brothers, they both are just living their daily lives.

At the Deep Blue Sea Tavern last night, An odd humanoid, some type of lizard-like humanoid, bragged about getting rid of all the elves. Two elfs 'came out of nowhere' and a fight broke out and tumbled into the street. When last seen, the elves had captured the humanoid, and headed off into the night.

razorback
2018-08-14, 11:23 AM
After a few hours of fruitless surveillance on the brothers, Hemsin goes back to the market. He asks around to various people in the know, both above and bellow board, about the brothers along with any other rumors. The various rumormongers have things that sounds farfetched, things he already knew and an interesting new tidbit about Deep Blue Sea Tavern. Handing out a few coins to the speakers, he grabs a quick bite to eat before heading to the Deep Blue Sea Tavern to find out what he can find.

Once there, he goes in and asks for a drink, though his stomach is telling him he should have something more like milk than hard drink, as he looks around the establishment.

What kind of bar is the Deep Blue Sea Tavern?

Darth Ultron
2018-08-15, 08:49 PM
Deep Blue Sea Tavern

Low tide:One half of the bar looks relatively normal: a tender polising glasses by the barrels, tables (made of stone) empty and terribly lit. However, the floor cuts away in progressively lower bands, and the lowest half, farthest from the door you entered, is partially underwater. A second door is open to the ocean. A cage filled with fish is at this end, and another tender, one with gills as well as elf ears, feeds them.

High tide: Only the highest level of this bar, the one where the barrels and the door are, is clear from the waves that lap across the rest of the room. In strips about five feet wide the bar steps down deeper into the water, and the far end the water is higher than head height. Aquatic dwellers, elves mostly, fill those tables, chatting while devouring live fish sold from a cage. A couple members of the land races make talk with the Aquatics.

The Deep Blue Sea tavern is located in the Docks area of a harbor city. It connects both to the open sea and the street. The sign on the street entrance is a painted horizon, with a ship in the far distance.

The walls and floor of building are made of stone. The roof is flat and wooden, but the floor steps down in wide bands, each step about three feet deeper than the last. Irregularly shaped stone tables populate every band but the highest. On the lowest band, benches line the wall near the floor, and again near the high tide water line (for use by land customers at high tide). The water is warm enough in this area that people are comfortable partially submerged in the water, whether they have gills or not, so all the tables are filled by mixed customers at high tide.

Deep Blue Sea Tavern is a Novelty type place. Mostly it attracts ship captains, navigators, first officers, merchants...but very few common labors or sailors....and plenty of well to do city folk with coins to spend.

razorback
2018-08-17, 02:50 PM
Hemsin, once he has his drinks, give up the coin as he gives his thanks and a nod of his head to the barkeep. Being lowtide still, he makes his way down to the lowest level he can, feeling his clothes become sodden but smiling nonetheless. He new it was a gimmick but he still enjoyed it for what it was.
Drink in hand he spies over the cage and looks at the various creatures. "You guys place 'em in here or do they somehow get trapped coming in with da tide?" he says to the tender as he looks around before continuing. "Kind of slow, even for this time of the day. Figured with all the things going on round 'o late, it might be a bit more full during the day instead of night. Safe, ya know?" he asks blithely, alsmost as if to himself. Looking into his drink for a moment, his expression hardens for a moment before he visibly relaxes before looking directly at the tend. "Leastways, I guess, is why I'm here right now." before letting out a rough, if forced, laugh.

Darth Ultron
2018-08-20, 08:09 PM
Keriv Blue "I'm Keriv Blue. Welcome to the Deep Blue Sea Tavern. My pride and joy.

Yea, the sea critters just wander in and then wander out. There is always plenty of food in the water around here, so they keep around.

Eh, business goes up and down...life and times of a tavern.

You got a name?

Hope your not looking for any sea elves, we have not had any come in for at least a week now. It's got Portel a little worried." Keriv points at the lone aquatic elf in the room.

razorback
2018-08-21, 01:19 PM
Hemsin reaches out to shake hands. "Hemsin... Hemsin Al'Athuin. So, this is your tavern? Very nice." he says as he looks around the establishment. He was actually impressed, as having a place that the layout changed with the tides must have been a logistical nightmare for sometime until you figured out how to manage it. "Gotta imagine its hard ta find and keep good help in a place such as yours. Like some don't like to feel the grass between their toes, some don't like their feet wet. Me, I like 'em both. Though I'm city folk, born and raised here in Baldur's Gate, I do enjoy the times I do get a chance to get out of the city. Too much hustle and bustle can get to an elf, eh?" he gives a small chuckle, mostly to himself, as it had been some time since he had been to a park, let alone outside the walls. He felt a longing to leave the city, for a day or three, which he squashed. With a far off look, he said "I guess not all of us get the freedom to enter and leave as we wish, such as these creatures, though we may end up something else's dinner, is still envious." He took a swing from his drink before turning back to Keriv with a bit of a sad smile.

Darth Ultron
2018-08-21, 10:06 PM
Keriv Blue "Well, like they say: there is always a bigger fish in the sea...and it wants to eat you.

So, I'm sure I have never seen you in her before...and you sure don't look like a seaman. Did you just happen to walk by? Or did you hear about this place some how? I always tried to gt the word out, but could never really seem to draw people in much. "

razorback
2018-08-24, 12:52 PM
Hemsin smiles. "Nope, a landlubber who is friends with some seafaring elves.
They mentioned this to me. They may be in later if they weren't able to find a new berth. They were looking to leave town, on account one of them was attacked by some crazed human with weird dog, from what I was able to gather."

Darth Ultron
2018-08-24, 08:06 PM
Keriv Blue "Landlubber is right.

That crazed human is with a morkoth. It's not a pet, it's a monster of the deep. Get your sea life straight.

Yea, like I said, we have not gotten any aquatic elves in for the last week or so...but you never can tell how or what might dhow up.""

razorback
2018-08-27, 03:34 PM
"Morkoth? I take it these things aren't good. If its deep sea, why would it be on land? And what would a human be doing with one? Seems like Baldur's Gate just keeps getting stranger and stranger for my young years." he says with a wink and a laugh. "Well, you can take this lubber's money and if I run into any aquatic elves, I'll make sure to send them your way, though I'm sure they know the way just fine themselves. Not that I have more than a few drinks before I begger myself, I'll share what I have if you share from your taps." he finishes with a grin as he empties his drink.

Darth Ultron
2018-08-27, 08:31 PM
Keriv Blue "Yea, likely up to no good. I don't have any idea what it's up too, but I heard the descriptions of the attacks.

I think things have always been quite weird here in the 'Gate, just depends what street you are on.

And I got plenty more drink for you."

razorback
2018-08-28, 04:13 PM
"Well, another it is." as he makes his way to the bar and back.
Once in the water, he takes a long drink as he looks at Keriv. "If you don't mind, where did you hear about these attacks? I heard of one up near the Land's End. Down right not safe for any sane elf around now'days, I suppose. Maybe it's time I made my way down the coast." he finishes with a small sigh, as if talking to himself on the last bit.

Darth Ultron
2018-08-28, 05:46 PM
Keriv Blue "I did not really heard about it from any one place. I kind of have one ear to the streets, and one to the waves. I hear a lot.

Also, my blood brother is an aquatic elf. It makes elf gossip, even more mass murder, a bit higher on my list of things to hear about."

razorback
2018-08-28, 06:10 PM
Taking another drink, Hemsin thinks, questions evident on his ageless face. "Are the aquatic elves doing anything about it? Are they having these kind of killings under the waves as we are having on land. That would be even more scary than I thought... if someone or something is looking to exterminate elves... it is bad for my kind along with other free peoples. Perhaps we need to rally the various elven groups together to see what his happening and how to stop it."

Darth Ultron
2018-08-29, 02:57 PM
Keriv Blue "Well, like I said it's been a good week sense we have had aquatic elf visitors. It's not really that long...elves, even more so aquatic ones have a long sense of time.

Last couple in here did not say anything about killings, and I'm sure it would have been a topic.

Exterminate elves? Bit of a long line. You mean after dragons, orcs, drow dwarves and humans?"

razorback
2018-08-31, 02:26 PM
Hemsin gives a small chuckle at Keriv's quip. "True enough. Our long lives tend to do that. I'm not sure any of them are actively looking to exterminate my kind, but you never know.
Though, I heard this all second or third hand so I'm sure it's been distorted. I've been hearing all sorts of crazy rumors. You know what they say about rumors and rears..." he finishes with a grin.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-01, 09:11 PM
Keriv Blue "Yea, and what do they say...it is mostly true. Sure some rumors are pure fantasy, but most are based in facts. It just takes skill and experiences to wade through the waters.

Though it might be a bit early to say."

razorback
2018-09-04, 05:27 PM
"Maybe, but more skill than I possess to swim those waters." the elf says with a chuckle. "But one true word is worth a thousand rumored one, as they say.
But, I've taken enough of your time. I think I will drink a bit of my sorrows away as I dip my feet in these waters, letting it cleanse me of the dirt of this world, eh. If I happen to pass out over here, do me a favor and lift my head out of the water, would you?" as he takes another deep draught.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-04, 08:23 PM
Keriv Blue "Yes, enjoy the waters of my place. I'll keep your head above water, don't want any guards around here.

But enjoy your drink."

Keriv pulls out a clay mugs from under a shelf and wipes the insides of them with a white rag.

razorback
2018-09-07, 11:13 AM
Hemsin nods as he makes his way back to the bar for another drink before making his way back to his seat. He pics a spot that he can see the most patrons while not seeming to be observing them as he leans backs and relaxes, idling the day about.

If any others come in he nods and if any come close he will strike up a conversation.
He's mostly looking to see who is coming and going, making a mental note on those.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-08, 10:54 AM
As the night goes on, you see three types of people that come in: The trendy upper class coming in for the gimmick, mostly two people on a date; sea folk like ship captains or merchants; and more scruffy looking people. Most of the scruffy folks quietly talk to Keriv Blue and you often see a small pouch or two exchanged.

The patrons are a mix of humans, halflings and gnomes.

Until a large muscular black scaled lizard like humanoid comes in with a group of three half orcs. He quite loudly asks Keriv if he has seen any elves around. Keriv says that his place gets many people of many races and he does not want any trouble again.

The large humanoid gets a big mug of dark liquid and slowly looks around the room, checking each person out.....

razorback
2018-09-10, 02:36 PM
As the lizardman and orcs enter, Hemsin watches out of the corner of his eye and listens. As he hears his proclamation, he groans inwardly and almost audibly. Before they can gaze about the room, he shifts his cowl everso slightly forward over his face as he focuses and his features slowly morph into those of a human.

Using Hat of Disguise to alter his appearance to 'generic, not bad looking but a bit scruffy' human.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-10, 07:44 PM
The large muscular black scaled lizard like humanoid orders a big drink, and looks around the room. "By the Empty Horde, all the elves in this city are hiding like rats! har, har"

He makes a slow circle of the room.

Portel, the sea elf, is nowhere to be seen in the tavern...though you'd don't overly recall him leaving.

razorback
2018-09-12, 02:08 PM
Hemsin, leans forward in his seat as he watches the brute circle the room, letting his new feature be seen.
<Portel may have had the right idea.> Hemsin thinks to himself.
"What 're ya looking fer them fer?" he says gruffly, hoping to cover any traces of his voice as he finishes his drink and walks to bar, ordering another.

The Empty Horde?
Has Hemsin heard of it before?
[roll0] + any appropriate skill.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-13, 12:03 PM
The large muscular black scaled lizard like humanoid "I'm a bounty hunter. Just looking for my pay. Not that I never liked elves no way...ha, but I'll be happy to take the coin.

I'm Chokkazox Darkscale, would you happen to be a regular here? Some elves jumpped a scale brother of mine here last night...any chance you were here and saw it go down?

I can pay for any information you might know about that, or anything about elves."

razorback
2018-09-17, 12:58 PM
"No, first time here. Is yer brother ok? Where did it happen? I have seen or heard none of this but I'll keep an ear an eye out, Chokkazox. Whereabouts could I find ya if I come up with anythin'?"

Darth Ultron
2018-09-17, 10:58 PM
Chokkazox Darkscale "No one has seen him, Vikazaan for the last day....I think he might be dead, if the elves don't still have him. I'm at the The Winking Mermaid, nearby.

Spread the word, tell others I will pay for what they know."

Chokkazox Darkscale makes a fast circle around the room, and then walks out the door.

razorback
2018-09-19, 03:39 PM
Hemsin just watches for a few moments after Chokkazox leaves, taking along, slow drink as he ponders the lizardman's words. Turning to the patrons, he eyes them for a moment before dropping his facade and walking up to Keriv. "Well, that could have been unpleasant. Is he a regular here?
Any merit to his words? I would seek blood, too, if a group attacked my brother."

Knowledge:Local on Chokkazox
[roll0]

What does the small crowd at the bar seem to be doing? Or, a better way of asking, what are their reactions to Chokkazox's entrance and remarks?

Darth Ultron
2018-09-19, 10:53 PM
Keriv Blue "Not exactly a regular, he only comes in about once a moon. He is a Darkscale. A couple of decades ago a tribe of saurians down the coast got themselves a black dragon egg and turned themselves into half dragons. Most of the tribe are hunters, even bounty hunters. When he says brother, he is saying scale brother as in tribe member.

One of his tribe and some elves did get into it last night...but they took it outside fast enough.

"

The Darkscale clan is fairly well known as bounty hunters, though they tend to avoid guards and law enforcers and often use go between.

The name 'Chokkazox' name is unknown to you.

Most of the folks in the bar ignored Chokkazox, and looked down and kept quiet.

razorback
2018-09-20, 03:04 PM
"Hmm, I thought he was just taking that as his name, didn't realize he was part of that motley band of mercenaries. Good to know. Talk to you later." Moving quickly to the door as he body begins to morph again, this time to an average looking and nondescript human, he peers out towards the direction Chokkazox walked out the door. He moves as if someone late for dinner as he walks.

Going to try and tail Chokkazox. Moving quickly but not so quickly as to seem too much out of place.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-26, 06:12 PM
Chokkazox Darkscale walks along the streets slowly. He does not seem to have anywhere to go, but does look around a lot...and does take a good look at passers by.

There does not seem to be any elves on the streets.

After a good couple hours, he circles all the way back over to the Winking Mermaid Inn and goes inside, straight to his room, Room seven.

razorback
2018-09-27, 02:45 PM
Hemsin follows the creature for some time, changing appearances every so often when he is alone and unobserved. As they circle back to the Winking Mermaid Inn, he lets out a sigh.
<Should have figured a meat head like that would have only the thought in front of him as his only guide. What next?> he thinks to himself.
Turning and tracing his steps back a block, he stops on a corner and watches the people milling about, moving on with their lives, as he ponders what to do next. Grinding his teeth, he looks up to the sky to gauge the time before deciding to head over to Short Run, seeing if he can catch Zenbaos.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-27, 04:00 PM
The sun sinks low in the sky and it gets dark, with only a flicker of daylight left.

Zenbaos Longbottom is easy enough to find on the Short Run. He is standing with a group of five gnomes and two elves right in the middle of the street. The gnomes, like Zenbaos look like typical workers, but the two elves are dressed in long plain gray robes.

They are all talking, and occasionally pointing up at the sky.

razorback
2018-09-29, 08:14 AM
Hemsin follows where they are pointing, trying to figure out what they are are looking at.

Do the gray robes mean anything?
[roll0] plus any appropriate knowledge skill

Spot to notice anything out of the ordinary, especially where they are looking
[roll1]

Darth Ultron
2018-09-29, 01:26 PM
They seem to be pointing more or less straight up. There does not look to be much in the sky other then a couple clouds, the setting sun, and a couple of bright stars shining as the sky gets darker.

Gray is a bit of a unnoticeable color, but does not overly mean anything by it self. Gray robes are common enough.

razorback
2018-09-30, 12:51 PM
Hemsin, unable to determine anything particular about the gray garbed elves or what they may be looking at, keeps moving on out of view.
Once safely away, he doubles back and keeps an eye on Mr. Longbottom, transforming form before he does so, once out of view of all. He tails from a distance, keeping a look at where he stops and who he talks to, keeping a mental note to follow up later on.

Darth Ultron
2018-09-30, 08:57 PM
The conversation does not last long, and everyone is very quick to leave and get off the streets as it gets dark.

Zenbaos Longbottom heads straight home afterwards.

razorback
2018-10-02, 12:07 PM
Hemsin waits outside Zenbaos home for several minutes before moving on.
He makes his way back to the market for a quick check on Lagri before deciding his next move.

Not sure what time of day it is.

Darth Ultron
2018-10-04, 10:44 PM
The sun is just about set, so about ''8 pm".

Most of the Wide is already empty, and the few that are left are packing up for the day.

razorback
2018-10-06, 10:27 AM
Time having slipped from him, Hemsin stands for a few moments pondering what to do next.
He thinks about everything and decides to head over to The Lands End, maybe running into Nulys or any of his crew.

Darth Ultron
2018-10-06, 02:54 PM
The Lands End Eatery and Drinkery is open, but not very crowded. A couple of humans and half elves sit around drinking and having a good time, but you see no elves. Almost everyone looks to be a typical sailor type, except the one half elf in the corner in a gray robe. He is sitting alone, with a full mug of drink that he holds, but does not drink.

razorback
2018-10-07, 09:21 AM
Hemsin, looking around and noting the patrons, walks up and orders a drink before heading over to the table of the half elf, motioning to the empty chair with nod "Mind if I join you?" as he stands, waiting for a response.

Darth Ultron
2018-10-07, 12:32 PM
Corwin Inkwell "I don't mind. I can use a little company. My name is Corwin Inkwell, Runescribe of Deneir. So what brings you out tonight?"

Corwin picks up his drink, moves the cup to his lips, and then sets it back down again.

razorback
2018-10-08, 11:07 AM
Looping a leg over as he sits down, Hemsin nods in thanks. "Hemsin Al'Athuin, at your service." he says as he raises his drink. "I was hoping to meet some friends I haven't seen about... been past their usual haunts but not a hide or hair of them whereabouts.
Matter of fact, I think you are the first person with elf blood I've seen today, maybe. Not sure if there was a big party and I didn't get the invitation." he says as he lets out a chuckle, letting himself calm down before taking another drink. "Ever got that feeling?"

Darth Ultron
2018-10-08, 09:07 PM
Corwin Inkwell gives you a good look up and down.

Corwin Inkwell "I can't believe you have not heard of the attacks. Someone or something seems to be targeting elves. At least two handfulls of elves were just killed. And that was just the worse night. There have been other attacks. They don't seem to be directed at half elves yet, just full elves.

So, yes, most elves are staying off the streets...even more so at night."

He drinks his whole mug in one big gulp, then just looks in the empty mug.

"This has all happened before, and it will all happen again. All because people don't remember the past....and those that do not know the past, are doomed to repeat it."

He lets the empty mug fall out of his fingers and land on the floor.

razorback
2018-10-09, 11:42 AM
Hemsin reaches down and grabs the mug and sets it on the table as he says "Easy, Corwin, easy." in a calming fashion. "Man, you got to explain yourself.
Murders and the past? Come on, you can't leave it out there like that."

Darth Ultron
2018-10-09, 04:26 PM
Corwin Inkwell "Yes, murders in the past. But it's not like anyone cares.

I'm a temple scribe, I illuminate manuscripts and tomes. It's good work and I like it....or a did. Maybe a moon or so ago, the temple got a couple of truly ancient elven tomes. I was given the task of making copies of them, and so I did.

The second one had quite a story in it. About a time long ago, and I do mean a very long time ago. Before even the first civilized elven lands, back when even elves had just learned things like how to use fire. It was a different world back then in many ways.

And a big important way was monsters. Not like orcs or even dragons....I'm talking about real monsters, in-humanoid things and creatures almost beyond description. They are mostly gone from the world now, only a couple of echos of what they were remains...things like beholders and aboleths...but back then, they very nearly ruled the world.

It was not meant to be, an ancient god stepped in, no one know who...but my guess is it was Ka. In any case, mortals were given a special power, a special magic, known as the Cerulean Sign. People from all races...or at least most, joined together in a common goal. With it they fought the monstrous aberrations and dark gods back and won. Many aberrations were killed, but not all of them. Some were too powerful, some could not be killed and some were not even alive. So many were just locked away, in one form or another.

And then time marched on. The Keepers of the Cerulean Sign stood by as watchful guards for any sign of the aberration or dark gods return. As the centuries pasted, and with not even a hint of a sign of a foe to fight, the Keepers dwindled in numbers. Soon, only the evles knew and remembered. And then even the elves forgot. The most recent mention I could even find was like 600 years ago. And everyone forgot.

But the book I was illumination did contain warning signs to look for, things the would show the old evils returning. Many were vague enough to be many things...but one...one very much stood out. The constellation of the Bug. It's out there in the sky, known to many children, as just a small group of stars in an oval like shape and a couple stars for legs....like a bug. But it was not always a bug, once long ago, it was a scorpion. Add a couple more stars and you can see claws and a tail...with a bright purple star of warning right at the tip. And it's shinng bright up there in the sky right now.

But of course no one remembers, and no one believes it. If the Keepers are still around..well, nobody knows. Except me.

But no one would listen. 'Old stories' or 'tall tales' or maybe I translated it wrong.

I tried to find out for myself...along with my bride to be, Yavishta, my beautiful elven flower. We had a fun romp, adventure just like in the books and stories. Maybe we were close to finding out something...but it did not matter. A little over a week ago, she was killed. We were jumped by some shaugain in an alley. They..they...ripped her apart. She is gone, but I'm still here.

She was a merchant, she came here a lot to trade and talk...it was her favorite place. Was. Now....now I just come here."

razorback
2018-10-09, 04:56 PM
Hemsin, at first, seems a bit skeptical as Corwin winds through his story. As the half-elf finishes, a look of shock covers Hemsin's face. He is silent for a few moments, not knowing how to react. "I... I don't know what to say other than sorry for your loss." he stumbles out.
<Shaugain... in the city? And this Morkoth creature, too? His tale if far-fetched but whether or not it's true, if some group believes it... they are obviously dangerous...> he thinks to himself disjointedly. "Look... I don't want to diminish your loss but, do you think that these creature are about? If they took your Yavishta, might they be hunting you, too?
Was there any rumor of where these Keepers lived or met?" sounding a bit more anxious when he talked than he liked.

Darth Ultron
2018-10-09, 09:02 PM
Corwin Inkwell "Hunting me? Why would they bother? I'm not worth the time or effort. I'm only half an elf. I'm nobody.

And if they did want to find me....I'm easy enough to find.

Where the Keepers lived? I'm not sure...like I said it has been centuries sense anyone has seen or heard of them. There is nothing much about them in the temple library. "

razorback
2018-10-10, 05:10 PM
"Maybe, maybe but don't let your sadness muddy your self-preservation or that of others. Elves are long-lived and keep records, such as you found. There has to be others that have also done so." the elf replied not sure if he was just humoring the sorrow-filled Corwin to give him purpose or if he believed some of his story, with all that has happened the past few days. "In any case, with what has been happening as you described and what you have read... I have to imagine you can take this to some seer or, perhaps a temple of one of the Gods to have it vetted out. If they can divine what is driving this, then something can be done to stop any further murders and transgressions by these otherworldly creatures."

Darth Ultron
2018-10-10, 10:45 PM
Corwin Inkwell "I tried. I work at a temple, remember.

No one believes me. They say it is just a story.

It's not like I have any proof.

That is why I tried to investigate this on my own....and got Yavishta killed."

razorback
2018-10-12, 03:12 PM
Hemsin leans back in his chair, stumped by Corwin. He wasn't sure that he believed his story but he did believe Corwin did. And, with his loss and what he knew about the other elf attacks, the unbelievability of his story seemed more likely.
He took a long draw on his drink and had a small cough, looking about the room as he did.
"What's your plan? You're not going to just let this drop and I don't blame you.
You have to have some clue as to what these old stories and prophecies of what happens next?
Some next step on this path?" he said intently as he leans in and asks, lowering his voice a bit.

Darth Ultron
2018-10-12, 08:43 PM
Corwin Inkwell "My plan? Well, to sit here and get drunk so I don't remember anything.

What can I do...I'm not hero, I'm just a scribe. And when I pretended to be a hero...I got my lady killed.

The path? Well, sure...it's a story as old as time. It will come back, slowly in the dark. It will sneak into everywhere and turn everyone against each other....and when they are all busy fighting each other...strike and kill them all. A classic text book insurrection...works every time.

And just like always, no one will listen until it's too late...just like my temple did not listen to me. Everyone only cares about their small piety lives...

What can one man do? "

razorback
2018-10-14, 11:23 AM
Giving a wry grin, Hemsin responds. "There are no heroes before they do something heroic. They are just regular people who do something out of the ordinary when the time comes and they are there. I think you'll find most people are more heroic than they give themselves credit for. And, look, no one, especially me, is asking you to be a hero. But, if there is something afoot, then we have a duty to ourselves and our fellow citizens to do our best and take it to the proper authorities, don't you think?
Within reason. No one would ask you to risk more than you have already. Besides, wouldn't it feel better to get to the bottom of what hapenned to Yavishta rather than sitting here in your drink?"

Darth Ultron
2018-10-14, 06:36 PM
Corwin Inkwell "I guess you are right. It's what Yavishta would want me to do...she was the one pushing to go on an adventure.

And take what to what authorities though? All I really have is my story. I can tell you exactly what they will do: they will listen and say 'nice story' and 'have a nice day'.

Do you really think it will help? You really think anyone will listen?"

razorback
2018-10-15, 02:51 PM
Hemsin ponders Inkwells words for a few moments before finishing off his drink as if to wash the harsh taste out of his mouth.
"You're not wrong. But, with some evidence... well, with enough evidence they can't look the other way and will have to investigate... with a boatload of evidence and they will have the captain of the guard digging for clues, I suppose." he says with a bitter laugh. "Look, I'll be honest. If I came to you with this story, you'd send me on my way with a pat on the head. But, a story is one thing and proof is another. Hold here for a moment." he thinks on it for a moment before getting up and buying each of them another drink. Returning, he hands Corwin another drink of what he had been sipping at. "But, irrefutable evidence is... well, irrefutable. Witness... guilty parties... you know, those things will get you far in being believed." he finishes with an intent look into Corwin's eyes.

Darth Ultron
2018-10-15, 03:45 PM
Corwin Inkwell takes the drink, but just sips it.

"So, yes, proof and evidence. The kind that can't be ignored and checks out.

But that leaves me with the question of how to get that. I'm a scribe and a researcher and an illuminator....I can find obscure reference in a library and translate it into half a dozen languages.

But I'm not an...I don't know what the word is....investigator? Clue Hunter?

I'm not even sure who to ask for help? "

razorback
2018-10-16, 05:26 PM
Sense motive - the barely drinking seems odd to Hemsin
[roll0]

The elf ponders Inkwells words. "Look, it seems serendipitous, but am an investigator. Usually, its mundane stuff, like wives or husbands checking on their wives or fidning lost or stolen items. Like I said, I came here looking for friends but may have found a new one... one in need.
Perhaps fate or Savras has drawn my string here to help you on your quest for the truth and to help with closure for your fallen wife. Either way, I'm willing to help as my skills and talents permit."

Darth Ultron
2018-10-16, 07:08 PM
Corwin Inkwell is honest and trustworthy

Corwin Inkwell "Really? I only have a couple friends...scribes, a book binder..

I think we could do it.

For Yavishta. I know she would want me too. I can almost hear her saying so."

He looks down at the mug

"You know...until she died, I had never had a drink before. Temple wine, sure, but you know..not a drink drink like this...and it really tastes awful."

razorback
2018-10-17, 12:23 PM
Hemsin gives him a compassionate smile as nods back. "Well, you have to think of the pain some are in that it takes something so foul tasting to wash away those pains, eh?" he says as he looks at his own drink but doesn't follow that path of thought before turning back to Corwin. "So, what is the next move? Is there something that speaks of prophecies or such?
That these creatures would hunt certain people or office holders or something? Aberrations would be hard to keep hidden out in the open, so these creatures would have to be underground... maybe in the sewers, or kept hidden by someone, or a group, in order to carry out such deeds. I think, with some judicious snooping, if I knew what clue to look for, might lead me in the right direction."

Darth Ultron
2018-10-17, 03:01 PM
Corwin Inkwell "Well, like books? Like the one I was illuminating? Yes, there are books with legends and stories.....but not like hard details. Not that I know of.

I guess there must be maybe some somewhere...maybe in a private library or collection. Or like in Candlekeep.

But there kind, they always find help. You know people willing to do anything for power. From a street sweeper to a Duke, everyone wants power.

And like I said they will start everyone fighting...it's easy enough as people are just about at each others throats even with no help.

And...well...if anyone would know the plans it would be someone connected to them, or maybe even one of them.

I guess we need to look for strange things...like stranger then normal. Maybe?"

razorback
2018-10-22, 03:31 PM
Pondering Inkwell's words, he thought for a few moments. "Maybe they could be some coded messages? Maybe not, but something to consider. I suppose I could go to Candlekeep but I don't know if they will let me go digging around in their archives. Unless you're willing to go? Yeah... all kinds, I suppose. They will always find someone to have follow them in the pursuit of power. I have friends and will get the word out looking for word of... odd things." he said with a small laugh and a shake of his head, listening to the words come out of his head and knowing the craziness of it. And then he thought on Lagri and his vision. "Well, I know we can dig something up."

Darth Ultron
2018-10-22, 06:29 PM
Corwin Inkwell ""they would not let me into Candlekeep. You have to know someone and have a good reference and make a donation.

Well, the elves might be a good starting point. It looks like the elves were targeted, right? Like two hand fulls dead in one night. It does not feel random. But if the foes want to stay secret, why do so many deaths. Unless they felt they had to for some reason. Maybe an elf or elves knows something....or at least maybe one of them has a book or tome or something.

And maybe the foes know the elves have it...someone in the city, but maybe they don't know who. And maybe even the elf that has it might not know. Something like a book that has been passed down through elven families for like centuries.

Of course, it's a needle in a haystack to us too."

razorback
2018-10-24, 04:03 PM
Hemsin looks a bit disappointed by the information presented to him. "I didn't realize Candlekeep was so restrictive. You figured the dissemination of information would be in their best interest.
As far as the elves go... I can go to the elders in the city and start asking around. Perhaps you can start asking around with the various booksellers in the city, or send me to them, to start asking questions.
A needle, indeed, but with enough care and perseverance, we will figure it out without getting stung, eh?"

Kn:Local on who the elven elders are.
[roll0]

Darth Ultron
2018-10-24, 04:57 PM
Corwin Inkwell "Yea, it's worth a try."

Khilseith and Gwynnestri Lasstholthor are a married couple, and two of the oldest elfs in the city and are the best know elders around.

razorback
2018-10-28, 01:05 PM
"Alright, let's do this. You see if there is anything else you can dig up. I'll meet with a couple of the elder elves I know of. We can meet back together in, say, a day or so? What is a good, low profile place? Because a tavern or pub makes you stand out." He ponders for a few moments as he considers what he says next carefully. "Look, if for whatever reason I can't make it... Give it another day. If I still don't get a hold of you, assume the worst. Meet Tarith Cottingley, at the Sword and Shield. Meet him about midmorning. He's part of the watch. He can be trusted. If you find anything, he will help you. Tell him that I sent you and I've gone missing and let him know what you know, in case something happens to me." he purses his lips as thinks. "Tell him 'The fox is in the hen house' and he'll help you as best he can."

Darth Ultron
2018-10-28, 06:49 PM
Corwin Inkwell "sounds good.

I'm not sure why I stick out. Um, we could meet at the Book and Candle tavern, but you know, then you would stand out, not me.

How about just meeting in the Wide. Right by the south end where the food tables are?

Corwin Inkwell pulls out a small book and quill, and writes down what you told him.

razorback
2018-10-31, 03:05 PM
Hemsin nods, knowing the spot. "Ok, I'll see you there the day after tomorrow.
I have a couple of people I want to meet and I don't know if I can get to see them today, or even tomorrow, but I'll try. Dig up what you can, but keep an eye on your back and I'll do the same, eh?
And remember what we talked about, ok?" he said with a firm touch on Corwin's shoulder after he stands, then he stride out the door, face a bit perplexed once he exited. He stops for a moment before walking off briskly, doing a couple of switch backs to check for a tail before making his way to the Land's End, trying to find Tsarra or Nulys while thinking of how he can get into contact with the Lasstholthors. While he thought about it, he considered what he could and couldn't tell them and what to ask. He felt pressure building behind his eyes as he moved, wondering if he could do anyting from keeping the headache from growing.

Darth Ultron
2018-10-31, 11:35 PM
Corwin Inkwell "I'll remember. See you soon"

Nulys Amahar is found at The Lands End, having a drink alone. Sitting with his back to the wall, watching the main door.

razorback
2018-11-02, 05:19 PM
Seeing Nulys, Hemsin exhales, not realizing he was holding his breath.
Walking over to his table, he gives the elf a nod when they make eye contact. Sitting, he says "Glad to see you, if a bit surprised. How are things with you and the rest of your friends?"

Darth Ultron
2018-11-02, 06:46 PM
Nulys Amahar "Sweet Sea to you. Please sit.

We are fine. We found a nice barn to rent just outside of town. It's a bit primitive living, but then we are used to living on a ship.

Yea, I was just here in the city looking for work...for a ship to hire us all on.

How are you....if you don't mind me saying, you look at bit tired."

razorback
2018-11-04, 10:47 PM
Hemsin's eyes went wide as he ran his hand through his hair. He gives is a quick shake, like he can't believe it himself, before looking at Nulys.
"The week has been fraught with madness, to say the least. I am glad you are ok and the others are still seeking berth aboard a ship. Everyone is ok?
Did nothing happen out of the ordinary? Well, I've heard that there have been killing, of elves, all over the city. No one can figure out who, why or how it was accomplished.
People I know and people I've met have told me of strange occurrences... you would think it a mad fever dream if you hadn't been a witness to how Tsarra was accosted. The city hasn't gotten strange for the worse... murder in the streets, strange omens being seen..." he shook his head again and felt the weight of the past few days on his shoulders. "Might be better if I were just mad, you know?" he said with wry grin. "Could use a drink. You need a freshening up?" Once Nulys answers, he goes to the bar and gets the drinks.

Darth Ultron
2018-11-05, 02:46 PM
Nulys Amahar "A drink will be fine" Nulys waits for the drink to come.

"We are all fine. Nothing has happened to us. We will all just be better once we get off land. Once you get the sea in your blood, you like to stay on the waters.

And, well, I don't know you well.......but if you can still wonder if your mad....then I would say your not mad."

razorback
2018-11-07, 12:08 PM
"I'm glad to hear that everyone is ok. Yeah, maybe not mad but feeling it, if you can understand." he says as he takes a swig. "I know you're looking but you might want to take the first ship that will get you out of here. Elves are being killed and I fear for you and your crew. I fear that, not living here and knowing people, might make you a bigger target. I would make sure that you and the rest aren't doing what your doing right now, which is travelling alone. Always bring a partner, probably safer." He ran his fingers through his dirty blonde hair. "I don't suppose you have heard any rumors about what is happening in Baldur's Gate?"

Darth Ultron
2018-11-07, 11:49 PM
Nulys Amahar "I did hear a rumor about the city making a trade deal with some drow merchants...and that it's drow assassins that are killing the elves. But..I'm not sure about it.

And...well...the Cluuk-Ruk, the crab people, a couple live down the coast...they have a story of a black tide of death. they say it has been asleep under the sea, but is now awake. They warned us to stay on dry land. "

razorback
2018-11-09, 10:45 AM
Hemsin looks a bit shocked by the news. "What would they gain by dealing with the dark brethren?" he says with obvious distaste in his tone. "I know not of these people but this sounds ominous. Are they a people to be trusted?" he says as he takes a drink. "Maybe, even better, perhaps you can introduce me to them? I would ask them what they know. It seems like many strands in spiders web coming together... whether there is truth or just superstition... I'll have to dig it out, I suppose." he gives a small sigh. He was city raised and, while he didn't mind the country, going down the coast to meet some literal backwater folk didn't really sound appealing to him.

Darth Ultron
2018-11-09, 04:59 PM
Nulys Amahar "I think it's just a rumor. People think evil and they see drow.

Sure, a lot of humans are...well, bad seeds. And lots of humans can be tempted by evil. But most humans are not like that. And not in this city. But I don't know humans all that well. I know a bit more about drow though...and it does not seem like it would be them. There are drow merchants, but money is not the end all to drow or elves like it is to humans. And the drow have plenty of customers for their goods underground.

And maybe most of all....if it was the drow....well, they would let us know. They are not exactly shy about killing elves and would sure write it in the sky, you know?

And you want to meet some of the Cluuk-Ruk? I guess I could set that up. Might take a couple days."

razorback
2018-11-09, 05:16 PM
Not ever having met a Drow, Hemsin just nods in agreement as Nulys comments echo everything he heard pretty much heard of them. "I hadn't really given it thought that they had plenty of customers... so, what would be their gain with dealing with those of us above ground??? Yes, their fire burns bright and with some, it burns bright with greed. But, they are generally of even temperment.
I'll keep it stowed in the back of my mind, for now. If you can arrange the meeting, it would be appreciated. I have asked around but wasn't able to find a ship for your crew to berth... yet. I'll keep my ears open for any rumor. If you think the lot of you are safe in this barn, please stay but be wary and armed. So many of our kinds congregated together, if whoever is doing these devilsh deeds catches wind of you, might have them bring evil forces to bear against you. If you don't think you can trust where you are, let me know and I'll ask around to see what I can do about securing you safer shelter." <I'll do it, just in case> he thought to himself. "What else? Is there anything you or yours need or I can help with?"

Darth Ultron
2018-11-09, 09:08 PM
Nulys Amahar "Yea, if you hear anything about a ship in need of a crew lets us know. We'd like to stay together, if possible. And, you know, we would all feel better with the sea under us.

I think we are safe, but thanks for the offer. Really, we are simple sailors, we don't need much.

You could find the elf killer...but not for us, for the victims families."

razorback
2018-11-12, 12:25 PM
"Of course, of course. Look, if you need a couple of days to arrange this, where and when can we meet again? I have some things to look into and I was near here, which is why I was checking to make sure you were all ok."

Darth Ultron
2018-11-12, 03:53 PM
Nulys Amahar "Well.....here. This is one of the few places I even go in this city. I stop in once a day or so. You can leave a message with the bar.

And, well, you live in the city right? Is there not some place I can go to find you? That might be a bit easier."

razorback
2018-11-13, 11:30 PM
"I do have a small place, fairly easy to find." Hemsin proceeds to give him the directions to his office/flat.
"OK, I'll meet back with you in a couple of days and we'll see if the Cluuk-Ruk know anything. In the meantime, I'll keep digging on finding you and yours a ship to berth upon. Anything else?"

Darth Ultron
2018-11-13, 11:53 PM
Nulys Amahar listens to the directions and nods.

Nulys Amahar "Nothing else I can think of...see you in a couple days then."

razorback
2018-11-17, 02:00 PM
"Alright, see you then." he says as he reaches out and clasps his wrist before walking out the door. He shakes his head, still not convinced madness is descending upon him. He thinks about what obligations he needs to discharge, who he needed to follow and take notes on along with who he needed to get his tips, while greasing their palm a bit, on his on-going cases. Knowing there are a couple, Glimmersheen and Longbottom, could hold for the rest of the day while another would have to be lookin into later in the day. Sighing, he thought about droughts and floods in business. It was flooding now, so he would have to ride it out because he didn't know what the future held. Maybe Lagri but he possessed no such power. Speaking of which, he should seek out the old dwarf when he had a chance, to get some advice.
Moving like a man with purpose, he thinks about where the Lasstholthor's would be this time of day and seeks them out.

Darth Ultron
2018-11-17, 06:20 PM
Who is Lasstholthor? I don't have that name in my notes?

razorback
2018-11-18, 12:38 AM
It was here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23459552&postcount=221)

Darth Ultron
2018-11-18, 10:54 AM
Khilseith and Gwynnestri Lasstholthor are just about always found at their home, no matter the time of day or night. As they have lived in the same house for over a century, it's easy enough to find.

razorback
2018-11-20, 11:28 AM
Hemsin moves through the street as he thinks on the upcoming meeting. Khilseith and Gwynnestri were well known through the city and, even though he hadn't talked to them in several years, they knew his parents quite well. Before his dad died and his mother moved back to Myth Drannor, the city of her youth where some of her siblings still lived. He didn't look forward to this as they will probably remember him from his youth. He was a bit wild from what they remembered but that was a long time ago. He sighed as he found himself pacing in front of their home, like a school kid waiting to see his school master after lighting a book on fire. Mustering his courage up, he walked up to the door and knocked, waiting to see who would answer.

Darth Ultron
2018-11-20, 10:46 PM
Khilseith Lasstholthor himself answers the door, in a simple green robe, and no expression on his face. He shows no sigh of recognizing you.

Khilseith Lasstholthor "Tall Trees and Deep Hollows, welcome to my door.

My, my, you look like you have the weight of the weather upon your head.

So, what can I do for you?"

razorback
2018-11-22, 11:38 PM
Hemsin looks abashed for a moment before reply. "Greetings to you, too, Mr. Lasstholthor. It's been many years... I'm Hemsin Al'Athuin, son of Herlin and Almatha Al'Athuin. My father was friends with you though I haven't seen you or your wife in at least a decade or more. Probably a little more worse for the wear, too." he said, almost as if a young student before an old teacher. Focusing, he becomes more serious. "I am hear to speak to you and your wife. While I am ancient by the measure of humans, my memory does not go back as far as yours and I'm hoping you have some memory of something that is happening here. I'm sure you have heard of what has been happening to our kind here in Baldur's Gate. A friend told me that something like this has happened before and... " he looks around, realizing he was just rushing it out. "It would be best if I come and speak with you, if you will."

Darth Ultron
2018-11-23, 12:09 PM
Khilseith Lasstholthor "Well, yes, the Al'Athuins. I remember them.

But, yes, please come in. My home is your home."

Khilseith leads you into the house and over into a sitting room. The room is all brown and green in colors. A couple of simple chairs and tables are set around the room. Each wall is covered in large tapestry showing a picture of a forest.

Khilseith picks one the the chairs at seemingly random and sits in it. "So, what is on your mind?"

Khilseith Lasstholthor is, as you remember, of the natural elven tradition of near no formalities. Everyone acts, as simple as nature. You sit on whatever is near, whenever you like and there is no order to the sitting. You say what you wish, and there are few social rules.

razorback
2018-11-24, 07:43 PM
Hemsin smiles, feeling more welcome now that Khilseith recognized him. He nods as he enters and sits, taking what looks to be a comfy chair. Easing himself in a bit to find his groove, he clears his throat for a moment before speaking. "Well, I would hope for you and your wife's sake that someone has come to you speaking of the murders that happened the other night. Elves have been killed, at least a dozen, in what sounds like someone targetting us. While this is more horrible than anything I've heard in my life, there was information brought to my attention that... well, it might sound crazy... but, it sounds like this, or something like this may have happened before... some ancient evil seeking to rise again. You, who have a memory longer than any else who lived in the city... I was wondering if you have any memory of this ever happening.
Some memory or rumor that might guide me forward?" he said in a voice that was almost pleading at the end.

Darth Ultron
2018-11-24, 09:26 PM
Khilseith Lasstholthor "Of course we have heard what has been happening in the city. It's not the first time elves have ever been targets, and likely won't be the last.

Though it is a bit odd no one has taken credit for the attacks...normality an elf killer would like the attention.

But ancient evil? I'm not sure what you mean by that. "

razorback
2018-11-26, 11:45 AM
"To be honest, I'm not really sure what I mean, either." the younger elf says with a sigh. "What little I know of is that back in the far past, when dragons and elves were young races, aberrations... lived and the Gods gave some mortals something called the Cerulean Sign to help fight these abominations to life. A group known as the Keepers fought off these creatures that had survived what sounded like a culling of these creatures. My friend couldn't find a record more recent than several hundred years ago. But he was able to find warnings... that sound almost as if prophecies, of these creatures coming back. And these Keepers were the once to fight them off, but I've never heard of them and I hope, like I said, that you have some knowledge of this, being an elder of our kind." Hemsin finished with a hopeful sound in his voice.