PDA

View Full Version : How would you create level 1, no LA races for monster types that don't have one yet?

Luccan
2018-02-25, 05:36 PM
The title. Some non-humanoid races without LA that can be played at level 1 already exist, but quite a few types do not have anything of the sort. What pitfalls would need to be avoided in designing such races? What do you think players would expect from playing these monster types? I'm aware there are a few ways to pick up types like Dragon potentially from level 1, but I'm thinking about things like a Dragon race without feats or rituals that must be performed. Keep in mind I'm looking at base race design, not considering things like "Could a Dragon race PC abuse Lore Drake"and the like.

Troacctid
2018-02-25, 05:43 PM
Savage Progressions are a fine model for it IMO. Start with something basic, with the option of racial levels for players who want to develop their racial abilities further. That way, you can gate the more powerful abilities behind an investment.

Luccan
2018-02-25, 06:14 PM
Savage Progressions are a fine model for it IMO. Start with something basic, with the option of racial levels for players who want to develop their racial abilities further. That way, you can gate the more powerful abilities behind an investment.

Does savage progression have rules for the inherent advantages of non-humanoid type? Like ignoring certain spells or having certain resistances? I'm curious because I'm not necessarily talking about how you let someone play a Treant from level 1,for instance. I'm wondering how you would create a new Plant type race that is designed for level 1 characters. Like how Elans and Synads are aberrations and Warforged are constructs, none of which require racial levels to be playable. If savage progression does have ideas for how to treat type, though, I'll certainly look into it.

Troacctid
2018-02-25, 06:42 PM
Does savage progression have rules for the inherent advantages of non-humanoid type? Like ignoring certain spells or having certain resistances? I'm curious because I'm not necessarily talking about how you let someone play a Treant from level 1,for instance. I'm wondering how you would create a new Plant type race that is designed for level 1 characters. Like how Elans and Synads are aberrations and Warforged are constructs, none of which require racial levels to be playable. If savage progression does have ideas for how to treat type, though, I'll certainly look into it.
It can be handled by starting out with weaker versions of the type traits and gaining the full benefits later. The Lich Progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a) is an example of this.

For new races, look at what they did with Warforged—living constructs have many construct traits, but they are adjusted to be easier to balance for player characters.

Thurbane
2018-02-25, 08:30 PM
For Dragon type, there's the Ambush Drake Template Class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060728a).

It's cheesy as heck (I believe LA was omitted from the class progression in error), but it lets you play a 7HD Dragon with no LA. The Ambush Drake (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a) is listed as LA -- in MM3.

Although you can be a "Kobold Dragon" at LA +0 and no RHD.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-02-25, 08:48 PM
Savage progressions are probably the most effective. You need some sort of progression; I don't think you can nerf a true dragon far enough to make it both ECL 1-equivalent and true dragon-equivalent (having bite/claw/claw, fly speed, dragon RHD, breath weapon, and so on). At the very least, the 100'+ fly speed and RHD would already challenge the ECL 1 standard.

Even the strongest type traits are probably okay at ECL 1, as long as they don't come with a lot of racial features. For example, a featureless undead has some very nice defences, but at ECL 1, I'd rather have an azurin, an orc, or anything vaguely specialized for what I'm trying to do. The same applies to plant and construct immunities as well as dragon and outsider HD: While they are all very good, they can be awarded as single-level benefit in any savage progression without balance issues.

It's still worth spreading out features (including type features) across multiple RHD, though. It just makes for a smoother progression, which, to me, makes each level feel valuable--more so than an alternation between break points and dead levels, anyway.

Luccan
2018-02-25, 09:10 PM
Savage progressions are probably the most effective. You need some sort of progression; I don't think you can nerf a true dragon far enough to make it both ECL 1-equivalent and true dragon-equivalent (having bite/claw/claw, fly speed, dragon RHD, breath weapon, and so on). At the very least, the 100'+ fly speed and RHD would already challenge the ECL 1 standard.

Even the strongest type traits are probably okay at ECL 1, as long as they don't come with a lot of racial features. For example, a featureless undead has some very nice defences, but at ECL 1, I'd rather have an azurin, an orc, or anything vaguely specialized for what I'm trying to do. The same applies to plant and construct immunities as well as dragon and outsider HD: While they are all very good, they can be awarded as single-level benefit in any savage progression without balance issues.

It's still worth spreading out features (including type features) across multiple RHD, though. It just makes for a smoother progression, which, to me, makes each level feel valuable--more so than an alternation between break points and dead levels, anyway.

Definitely would state outright "this is not a true dragon" if I made a race, but it seems people are in favor of savage progression. I'll check it out.