PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pathfinder Character ideas/build advice

Iamacup
2018-02-25, 08:02 PM
Hi All,

My group is taking a quick break from our AP, and have been asked to put together a level 7 PC for an evil one shot. I have been thinking about playing a Monk/Ninja type for a while as a break from my very PALADIN paladin character.

Here are the requirements for the build.

- paladin's are banned for obvious reasons, summoners are banned for the sake of not taking too much time in combat
- 20 point buy for ability scores. Also, at level 1 no score below 10 and no score above 18 after racial bonuses have been applied.
- HP is as if you rolled half+1 your hit die for each level (d10 would be 6, d8 would be 5, etc).
- Gear: You can have all the gear any one level 7 iconic has (according to link above). No mix and matching gear from different iconics; it's all or nothing. Further customisation may be done by selling the gear piece by piece at half the listed gold value and buying whatever gear you want at full price. Do this yourself, just don't **** it up.
- you get two traits at level 1
- you get one bonus skill point into a criminal profession at level 1
- mutliclassing and other such silliness is encouraged

Ideally, I'm looking for a build that can use a fancy Monk weapon to flurry from range, say the rope dart, from the shadows, get sneak attack and unarmed damage. With my bit of looking into this it seems Ascetic style can provide something like this, and this has been okayed by the GM. Also alignment restrictions have been waived for all classes, apart from Paladin's.

What would you do, how would you build this character.

More info on the type of adventure is here.

The plan is a one session one-shot with level 7 evil criminal PCs. There may be some PvP. It's going to be an urban dungeon (sewers I guess) / infiltration / intrigue type session.

Cheers,

Cup

Geddy2112
2018-02-25, 10:05 PM
Off the bat, you want to use scaled fist to make your monk half, making you fully charisma based instead of mad. For stats, you only need Dex and Cha, nothing else matters. I would put a 16 in both and go half elf for kindred raised giving you +2 to Cha and one other score, trading away everything else half elf but low light vision. You could also go muse touched aasimar for +2dex/cha and a ton of awesome boosts, not the least of which is once a day glitter dust which can let you tpk your party with ease. A 10 in every other stat is fine, giving you 18 Dex/cha.
For traits, irrepressible is possibly a must have,letting you use your cha instead of Wis for enchantment saves. For your other trait, elven reflexes/reactionary or maybe boosting your fort save. You can take lessons of faith instead of irrepressible.

I think you should only dip monk, and go the rest in ninja to max out ki and sneak attack.

For your feats, I disagree on asetic style. It will only boost your damage dice by one or two, allow you to use stunning fist through your weapon, but eats all of your feats. Your big damage is flurry with the rope dart triggering sneak attacks, using ninja trick to vanish and full round against targets with no Dex bonus to ac. You want a much more standard ranged feat tree, starting with point blank shot(which is always going to trigger with the rope dart) and then rapid shot for more full round death. Against targets denied Dex to ac you can score three attacks with 3d6 sneak each hit. Point blank shot won't matter as much in pvp but is probably still worth it. Deadly aim is not as good on non full Bab but a solid choice. You could take a defensive monk style like snake or crane as well to make yourself tougher in pvp. For your monk bonus feat deflect arrows is god if you expect archers, otherwise just take Dodge.

For ninja tricks you need vanish no question. Shadow clone is a really string choice as are style master and combat trick as they are feats. Wall climber is a climb speed and acrobatics master is useful to tumble and jump.combined with high jump you basically have flight. Max perception, acrobatics, bluff, sense motive and stealth, then whatever else you might want.

For gear, the iconic monk is probably better than the ninja. Sell the weapon to buy your own and any excess crap for a belt of Dex. A cracked dusty rose prism is 500gp for +1 initiative. A +1 rope dart is sufficient and you could almost swing nonmagical. For combat, plink with your rope dart and dance away with acrobatics. If something corners you use your stunning fist to stun them and then kill them, as stunned denies dex and procs sneak attack. You can use your stunning fist through any unarmed strike including knees elbows and feet so no need to drop the dart.

Iamacup
2018-02-26, 01:45 AM
Nice,
Thank you for the explanation, I’ll put that build together and look at the stats.

It looks pretty solid.

Cup