PDA

View Full Version : Mute mime, psionic or spellcaster.

ViroxNellium
2018-02-25, 08:28 PM
So I've already checked the common places for flaws, but I haven't found anything like blind or deaf... And I'm looking for mute. Any ideas?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-02-25, 08:54 PM
If you're looking for a 'mute' character flaw, I don't think one exists. You could perhaps get your DM to a homebrew Vow of Silence feat so you'll gain some benefit from your silence, but honestly a character who never speaks seems more fitting for an NPC quirk than a PC that's going to see a lot of play. Take Drow Sign Language as one of your starting languages so you'll still be able to communicate.

You'll be better off as a Psion or Ardent or similar than a Spellcaster, since you won't be able to use verbal components for spells.

ViroxNellium
2018-02-25, 11:03 PM
Thank you! And yes psion is probably going to be what I do. Just another very silly character a mime that actually makes walls!

Thurbane
2018-02-25, 11:15 PM
There is a racial option: Buomman (Planar Handbook). They're not mute, exactly, but they take a vow to never speak, and have a racial feat that allows them to cast without speaking (although they still need to make noises).

ShurikVch
2018-02-26, 08:53 AM
I heard: Doppelganger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/doppelganger.htm)s are have no mouth at all; if it's true - then they shouldn't be able to speak too in their "natural" shape; remove the Change Shape - and it's done
(Also, their bulbous heads is a staple for psionic creatures)

ViroxNellium
2018-02-26, 09:25 AM
Love the ideas guys, I didn't even think to use doppelgangers! The boummi do actually make a lot of noise though, as they sing and or have a song for everything.

Geddy2112
2018-02-26, 09:56 AM
If you are looking for a performer mime/caster, and don't mind porting in pathfinder, the mute musician (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo-bard-archetypes/mute-musician-bard-archetype/) would be a stellar choice.

KillianHawkeye
2018-02-26, 03:19 PM
So I've already checked the common places for flaws, but I haven't found anything like blind or deaf... And I'm looking for mute. Any ideas?

That's because being a mute doesn't apply any situational or combat-related penalties. It just means you can't speak, which will negate your ability to do anything that requires vocalization. That means no spells with verbal components, no activating magic items that need a command word, no Diplomacy, no Perform (sing) or Perform (oratory), and more limited usage of other social skills like Bluff and Intimidate.

Jack_Simth
2018-02-27, 07:35 PM
If you are looking for a performer mime/caster, and don't mind porting in pathfinder, the mute musician (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo-bard-archetypes/mute-musician-bard-archetype/) would be a stellar choice.

There's also the Deaf Oracle Curse (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses/#TOC-Deaf). Doesn't technically preclude speaking, of course, but you can learn to read lips and be fine.

ViroxNellium
2018-02-27, 10:47 PM
That's because being a mute doesn't apply any situational or combat-related penalties. It just means you can't speak, which will negate your ability to do anything that requires vocalization. That means no spells with verbal components, no activating magic items that need a command word, no Diplomacy, no Perform (sing) or Perform (oratory), and more limited usage of other social skills like Bluff and Intimidate.

I see your point, however,the skills bluff, intimidate, and diplomacy, although difficult, aren't impossible with sound, spells I agree wholeheartedly. But the main point was if I missed anything, DND rarely has moments where you get no bonus no matter how small or seemly useless it it may be. Such as, " you can now only see the color lime green." True you may have lost the ability to see any other color, but if there is a gelatinous cube... You probably can see it just fine.

And for the Pathfinder guy, sorry I just don't like Pathfinder.