PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Theoretical Build Optimization - The Fletchette Storm

PhantasyPen
2018-02-26, 12:36 AM
Hey Playground, PhantasyPen here with another weird character idea. Unlike my previous build threads though, I don't really plan to put this one into actual play, and just want to see just how crazy we can get this character.

What I'm looking for is to achieve here is two objectives:

Get as many thrown weapon attacks as possible.
Use those thrown weapons to deliver enough Sneak Attack damage that the Kineticist Psion runs home crying to momma.

Build Version 0.0.1
This version is crude, inefficient, and likely will only achieve the bare minimum of its true potential, but it is a starting block, and hopefully gives an idea of what I'm going for.
Human Barbarian 2/Rogue 18

Flaws
None

ACF's
Rage: Whirling Frenzy

Feats
Two-Weapon Fighting
Point-Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Rapid Shot
Craven
Improved Rapid Shot
Quick Draw
Brutal Throw
Manyshot

Mandatory Magic Items
Glove of Javelins
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades

Final Tally: 6 Attacks, 9d6+20 Sneak Attack

So! Let's see what the playground can find shall we? I'm looking for feats, magic items, class dips, ACF's, and all around optimized munchkinry to see just what kind of monster can be created.

flappeercraft
2018-02-26, 01:24 AM
The spell Sakkratars triple strike adds two attacks although I'm not sure if those would stack with the Whirling Frenzy.

There is the Chaos Monk in Dragon Mag (Don't remember issue) which would net you some variant of Flurry of Blows. This would stack with Whirling Frenzy and or Sakkratars Triple Strike. Now you would have to change your weapon of choice to shurikens for this to work but I doubt that would be much of a problem.

Zaq
2018-02-26, 08:31 AM
If you want an extra attack per round without much cheese, Eagle’s Fury (Sandstorm) lets you get an extra attack with an eagle’s claw at the standard “-2 to everything” (like TWF/Rapid Shot/Whirling Frenzy). It’ll cost you about three feats to stack this in (Throw Anything, EWP, and Eagle’s Fury itself), though. Asherati treat the eagle’s claw as a martial weapon, but you’d lose the human bonus feat, so the feat cost is basically neutral there.

Khedrac
2018-02-26, 08:39 AM
If you want an extra attack per round without much cheese, Eagle’s Fury (Sandstorm) lets you get an extra attack with an eagle’s claw at the standard “-2 to everything” (like TWF/Rapid Shot/Whirling Frenzy). It’ll cost you about three feats to stack this in (Throw Anything, EWP, and Eagle’s Fury itself), though. Asherati treat the eagle’s claw as a martial weapon, but you’d lose the human bonus feat, so the feat cost is basically neutral there.

It also won't stack with Rapid Shot...

Anthrowhale
2018-02-26, 09:24 AM
A Thri-kreen Targeteer + Whirling frenzy barbarian with Greater multiweapon fighting, boots of speed, quickdraw, and Master Thrower 5 can throw a pretty amazing number of daggers. Greater Multiweapon + ECL 20 gives 1+3*4 = 13 attacks. Targetteer adds 2, haste adds 1, and whirling frenzy adds 1, giving a total of 17. Master Thrower can double this making 34 attacks and make them all touch attacks so they even hit. If you have multiple adjacent targets, Master Thrower can double this again to 68 attacks.

Menzath
2018-02-26, 09:52 AM
Don't forget to add the spell girallons blessing, and if your DM says they cannot use weapons have some of those hand gloves from savage species to get around that.

Edit: probably just cast it by maxing UMD.

Seerow
2018-02-26, 10:30 AM
Does it have to be thrown weapons or is a similar effect okay? Because there is an incarnum soul meld that captures this feel pretty well and has a pretty high optimization cieling

Falontani
2018-02-26, 10:53 AM
if your using boomerangs and your a halfling then you can take the feat Boomerang Ricochet which allows each boomerang that you have thrown to hit a primary target and an adjacent target. Combined with Master Thrower's Palm Throw you get to throw 4 "hits" per attack iteration. LA's suck, but if you take Multiheaded you get Superior TWF (OR SUPERIOR MULTIWEAPON FIGHTING) depending on how many arms you have allowing you to effectively drop all TWF feats or MWF feats.

PhantasyPen
2018-02-26, 11:33 AM
The spell Sakkratars triple strike adds two attacks although I'm not sure if those would stack with the Whirling Frenzy.

There is the Chaos Monk in Dragon Mag (Don't remember issue) which would net you some variant of Flurry of Blows. This would stack with Whirling Frenzy and or Sakkratars Triple Strike. Now you would have to change your weapon of choice to shurikens for this to work but I doubt that would be much of a problem.

I've never heard of Sakkratar's triple strike before, where is it located?
The Chaos Monk's FoB variant is 1d4+1 attacks, I'm a bit hesitant to use this one for that reason.

This build is purely meant for ranged weaponry, the Eagle's Claw is a melee weapon isn't it? I don't think that's really worth the trade-off.

A Thri-kreen Targeteer + Whirling frenzy barbarian with Greater multiweapon fighting, boots of speed, quickdraw, and Master Thrower 5 can throw a pretty amazing number of daggers. Greater Multiweapon + ECL 20 gives 1+3*4 = 13 attacks. Targetteer adds 2, haste adds 1, and whirling frenzy adds 1, giving a total of 17. Master Thrower can double this making 34 attacks and make them all touch attacks so they even hit. If you have multiple adjacent targets, Master Thrower can double this again to 68 attacks.

Impressive, but I'm also trying to maximize sneak attack as well as the thrown attacks.

Does it have to be thrown weapons or is a similar effect okay? Because there is an incarnum soul meld that captures this feel pretty well and has a pretty high optimization cieling

I'd like to stick to thrown weapons if possible, and as I recall, that soulmeld doesn't really allow for that many iterative attacks?

flappeercraft
2018-02-26, 11:33 AM
Crescent Knife from Dragon Magazine (291 IIRC) essentially doubles the number again.

I've never heard of Sakkratar's triple strike before, where is it located?

Lost empires of Faerun

RaiKirah
2018-02-26, 02:44 PM
If you're looking for more SA on ranged start with halfling rogue with the acf that gives +1d6 on ranged SA, SA fighter 1, then spellthief into Unseen Seer to pick up Hunter's Eye. Still probably want Master Thrower for all the reasons previously stated

Zaq
2018-02-26, 03:15 PM
It also won't stack with Rapid Shot...

Why not? None of the things I listed have Haste’s “only one extra attack per round” clause, and we aren’t talking about Legend and its system-wise rule about [Bonus attacks], so you can totally stack Eagle’s Fury with TWF and Rapid Shot.

PhantasyPen, the eagle’s claw is indeed a melee weapon, which is why I mentioned Throw Anything. As I said, it’s very feat-heavy, but you did label this as theoretical optimization, so I figured that there was some wiggle room there (DCFS or whatever).

Is relying on specific items cool? A Bloodstorm Blade with a Manyfang Dagger (Serpent Kingdoms) would be fun.

RaiKirah
2018-02-26, 03:41 PM
Another idea I've played around with is persisting Blood Wind on an unarmed/natural attack build with shadowpounce. You can get 3 full attacks with unarmed iteratives + natural weapons + sun school + snap kick. You'll lose out on some SA dice hitting prereqs but get Craven on everything. This would be very feat intensive but kinda hilarious if it works. Worth noting is you get no benefit from Master Thrower's Palm Throw as there's no projectiles involved

For example:
This uses a Lawful Good -> Lawful Evil change influenced by making at Faustian Pact at level 9 after three levels of Shadowbane Inquisitor. If you're going into Dark Chaos Shuffle shenanigans this can get better, for example by using a Elf as your race for 4 eligible feats rather than the one human bonus, or taking War domain for two eligible feats rather than the one from either Shadow or Planning Domain. Spend WBL to get additional natural attacks.

Cloistered Cleric 2/Cobra Strike Monk 3/SA Fighter 1/Shadowbane Inquisitor 3/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/xxxx7

Feats

1: Dragon Tail
H: Two Weapon Fighting
F: Persistent Spell
F: Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell)
Shadow Domain: Blind Fight
Planning Domain: Extend Spell
3: Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt)
Cobra Strike 1: Dodge
Cobra Strike 2: Mobility
6: Spring Attack
EE Pact Direct @ 9: Ocular Spell
9: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
12: Craven
15: Multiattack
18: Sun School

Khedrac
2018-02-26, 04:15 PM
Why not? None of the things I listed have Haste’s “only one extra attack per round” clause, and we aren’t talking about Legend and its system-wise rule about [Bonus attacks], so you can totally stack Eagle’s Fury with TWF and Rapid Shot.
My apologies, I was confident that rapid shot itself had the clause, but on checking it does not seem to - I wonder why I thought it did?