PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can treants wield weapons and/or armor?

Nebuul
2018-02-26, 04:06 AM
If a treant were so inclined, would it be able to wear huge magical plate armor and wield a huge greataxe? Their information in the MM leads me to believe that they are basically humanoid-shaped when they aren't posing as a tree. But I can't find any more info than that.

RoboEmperor
2018-02-26, 04:17 AM
Yes they can. All creatures can wield weapons and wear armor.

However if they don't have the proficiency for it they are going to suffer from massive penalties.

Necroticplague
2018-02-26, 04:36 AM
Do, however, note that since they aren't Humanoid, they'd need to pay a premium for their armor.

Nebuul
2018-02-26, 05:27 AM
Do, however, note that since they aren't Humanoid, they'd need to pay a premium for their armor.

I guess this is more my question -- since treants are basically bipedal human/tree hybrid shape, are they humanoid-shaped-enough to wear magical huge armor built for humanoids?

Uncle Pine
2018-02-26, 05:49 AM
I guess this is more my question -- since treants are basically bipedal human/tree hybrid shape, are they humanoid-shaped-enough to wear magical huge armor built for humanoids?

They're still trees, with nodes, branches, and foliage, possibly bending in awkward ways while still retaining a humanoid-looking shape. Moreover, by RAW, they need special armors because since they're not Humanoid they ought to use rules for nonhumanoids. Table found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures).

DrMotives
2018-02-26, 08:41 AM
It's not so much a hard and fast RAW ruling here, because you need a humanoid body type, which may or may not match a creature type of humanoid. Most giants, fey, and monstrous humanoids match the humanoid body type no problem, as do several outsiders and a few aberrations. Others blatantly don't. For plants, there are a couple that should have no issue (woodwose, volodni mainly). But treants are more trees that more or less walk around on 2 limbs and have 2 big arm-like limbs. If you see them in the LotR movies, you see things that couldn't wear even really big armor shaped for a person, they'd need custom fitted gear to fit their weird bodies.

As for your other question, wielding a weapon, that's much easier. They have functioning hands. Give them a class level that comes with weapon proficiency, and they can swing whatever weapon no problem. Just take note of the size of the thing, and scale as appropriate. Most treants are huge, but they can scale up to even bigger. A huge treant with a matching sized greataxe is doing 3d8+13 damage minimum. Every size increase adds 8 Strength, plus whatever they may have added from adding HD to reach those size thresholds. Throw on some basics like Power Attack, stats adjusted for a melee character, feat & other gear selection and you have something that punches through fortress walls.

Nebuul
2018-02-26, 10:09 AM
Cool, thanks for the info!

Fouredged Sword
2018-02-26, 01:27 PM
Treant wielding a giant greatclub sounds dangerous.

Uncle Pine
2018-02-26, 01:39 PM

If eating your own species counts as cannibalism, what would wielding your own species as weapon qualify as...?

atemu1234
2018-02-26, 04:24 PM
If eating your own species counts as cannibalism, what would wielding your own species as weapon qualify as...?

I don't know, but that may be a few minutes and a google search I'll never get back.

Nebuul
2018-02-26, 04:58 PM
Sorry one last question on this topic - assuming they have proficiency, can treants use standard humanoid-built shields similarly to weapons?

Hunter Noventa
2018-02-26, 05:04 PM
Sorry one last question on this topic - assuming they have proficiency, can treants use standard humanoid-built shields similarly to weapons?

No reason they couldn't, as long as the shield is properly sized. I don't think you'd have to pay the non-humanoid charge either like you might for armor.

Telonius
2018-02-26, 09:49 PM
I'm guessing they'd prefer Leafweave or Wildwood armor.

Calthropstu
2018-02-27, 11:56 AM
I'm guessing they'd prefer Leafweave or Wildwood armor.

Wouldn't this be akin to you wearing human leather or bone?

Fouredged Sword
2018-02-27, 12:06 PM
Maybe he's born with it, maybe it's leafwood armor.

Necroticplague
2018-02-27, 03:25 PM
Wouldn't this be akin to you wearing human leather or bone?

Not really. The non-sapient trees most wood comes from probably makes it more akin to normal leather. Sure, there’s a relation, just as we and cows are both mammals, but I think it’s removed enough to not be that squicky.

Thurbane
2018-02-27, 03:51 PM
Yes they can. All creatures can wield weapons and wear armor.

Even oozes? :smalltongue:

Nebuul
2018-02-27, 04:39 PM
Even oozes? :smalltongue:

Wh-ooze gonna stop'em?

Jay R
2018-02-27, 04:43 PM

It sounds pretty much like a treant using his own fist.

He is a greatclub.

Thurbane
2018-02-27, 05:45 PM
Wh-ooze gonna stop'em?

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0355/49/1413415776501.png