PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger Deep Gnome Build Optimization?

Mrcoltux
2018-02-26, 09:50 AM
Firstly, I know that Bladesinging is supposed to only be for elves. My GM said he would let me take it because of my backstory and the fact that we are playing in his own campaign setting. Also, this is really long winded but I wanted to show I have spent a lot of time thinking about this rather than just asking you to tell me what to do.

Okay so I have played D&D once before about two years ago and I played 4e. I didn't really look into it much, and generally I feel like it caused me to have a bad experience. I played a cleric and really had no idea how to do anything properly. As a result I felt underpowered and boring compared to the rest of the party. This is also probably because I had a one paragraph backstory and had no clue how to roleplay (Getting Better!). Point being I have looked a lot more into D&D 5e (which I greatly prefer to 4e) and kind of want to "power game" my character so I have more fun, and learn more about the game.

I originally wanted to play a Wizard, but after thinking about my character and his backstory I felt Rogue was a better option, especially after realizing Arcane Trickster is a thing. Then I read about Bladesinger and decided I really wanted to multiclass. My idea for the character is to be this magical rogue that is constantly teleporting, going invisible, enhancing his blade with magic, and attacking people from nowhere. I really want Greater Invisibility, so I want to do more than AT 18/BS 2. I am looking at either AT 13/BS 7 or AT 12/BS 8. My GM did say that he intends to take us to 20 so I want to plan with that in mind, but I also want to still be good at lower levels.

I am leaning towards AT 12/BS 8 for a couple reasons. Firstly, I get an extra ASI/Feat which seems like a big deal from what I know. We rolled for stats and although I didn't get bad stats, some of the other people definitely rolled better. My best friend who is a Tiefling Bard started with a 17+2 Charisma. I ended up with 10 STR, 15+1 DEX, 13 CON, 14+2 INT, 13 WIS, and 12 CHA. Considering I want a couple specific feats and really want to get my stats up the extra ASI is tempting. Second, I learn 2 more 4th level Wizard Spells. In terms of drawbacks, I would lose Versatile Trickster and 1d6 Sneak Attack Damage compared to AT 13/BS 7. From what I have read, Versatile Trickster is good but not terribly good considering Mage hand eats up an action of combat to summon, and a bonus action to get the advantage. It seems just having an Owl from Find Familiar would allow me to get pretty much the same effect without eating up bonus actions as I am pretty sure it operates independently? I guess the enemy could kill my familiar, but unless its from AOE that would be one less attack going at me or my party. I also think I should be able to gain advantage several other ways. The loss in damage does kind of suck though, even if its only 1d6. What do you think?

So for feats I am looking at Resilient (+1 CON), Svirfneblin Magic, Fade Away (+1 DEX), Squat Nimbleness (+1 DEX), Mobile, Skulker, and War Caster as potential options. Resilient to bump up my CON from 13 to 14 seems really good as I would get a higher CON modifier and proficiency in my CON saving throws which could help maintain concentration a lot. It would also get me +1 health on every level up because of the increase in my CON modifier. Svirfneblin Magic just seems really good with all the free spells, especially early on, but it might not be as good if I take it latter because I will be able to cast those spells anyways if I learn them and I would be able to use them more than once. I am kind of torn on it. I see myself taking Fade Away & Squat Nimbleness over taking Mobile and +2 DEX because I get the +2 DEX either way and I end up with the bonuses of two feats instead of 1. However, Mobile stops opportunity attacks which seems really good and I would get +5 more movement speed. I'm not really sure how often I will be grappled, so I don't know exactly how good that is, and I worry that Fade Away won't be as good once I can cast Greater Invisibility. Skulker seems good for rogues, but I am not sure it is really worth it if I don't intend to focus as much on ranged weapon attacks, and I already have Superior Darkvision so I don't think dim light affects me? War Caster seems nice since it would let me dual wield my Rapier and Shadow Blade, make my concentration saving throws even harder to fail (Proficiency from Resilient and my INT modifier from Bladesong AND advantage from War Caster), and let me use Booming Blade on opportunity attacks. Is it worth it? What feats should I take, and what order should I take them and ASI's? Should I take Resilient first, bump up my DEX first, or take the ones that are less useful at higher levels?

Lastly, a few more general questions. Any advice on how I should alternate levels for the multiclass as I level up? I am already Level 2 Rogue so really from here on. Any spell/cantrip recommendations? Any other feats I should consider? Any advice on how to keep track of everything during actual combat? Any advice in general? Thanks so much for reading all this if you made it through and thanks even more for any advice you give. I really appreciate it :)

Biggstick
2018-02-26, 02:18 PM
So my question what do you want to do with your character? Defining characteristics of a Rogue at least in regards to damage mitigation are Uncanny Dodge and Evasion. Those come at Rogue level 5 and 7 respectively, and delaying your access to those abilities are really going to hurt.

However, the two level Bladesinger dip is a fantastic one that brings you Bladesong (in addition to everything being a Wizard gets you). It's really just a choice imo of how soon you want to get Uncanny Dodge and Evasion as to how many levels you go Wizard.

Another point I'd like to make is how do you intend to attack? Are you looking to utilize the two attacks granted by Bladesinger or are you looking to utilize BB/GFB when in melee combat?

Your reach in regards to feats is a bit high, so you'll have to make some choices on what to cut. Personally I'd go with the Resilient Con, Mobile, and Sharpshooter are the feats I would look to grab, along with +2 Dexterity twice. I would also go with a AT 15//BS 5 or AT 17//BS 3. The reason I'm looking at such a high level for Rogue, is I see the Slippery Mind feature from Rogue 15 as a better level 20 capstone then higher level Wizard spells at this point in the game. Gaining proficiency in Wisdom saving throws is something you're going to have wished for quite a while before this point, but better late then never imo.

You already have two levels of Rogue, so I'll move forward with how I'd build the character you've described.

PC Level 1: Rogue 1.
PC Level 2: Rogue 2.
PC Level 3: Rogue 3. (Mage Hand, BB or GFB (with GFB being my preference for more likely triggering of the rider effect), Disguise Self, and any other spells you always want to be able to cast).
PC Level 4: Rogue 3//Wizard 1. Hopefully the specifics of acquiring a spellbook have been worked out with your DM prior.
PC Level 5: Rogue 3//Wizard 2. Bladesinger levels begin.

So at this point, you're a 3rd level Rogue AT and a 2nd level Wizard BS. You have 6 cantrips, with things like Mage Hand, GFB, Message, etc, some always prepared spells from AT, and hopefully utility/ritual/abjuration spells (Mage Armor, Absorb Elements, Shield) in your Wizard spellbook. At this point, you have everything you really need from Wizard for quite a while imo. The only reason I'd pick up another level is if I want Invisibility or Shadow blade and can't wait till Rogue 7. I would encourage you to wait though, as getting Uncanny Dodge and Evasion do wonders for your survivability.

PC Level 6: Rogue 4//Wizard 2. ASI time. I'd go with +2 Dexterity myself, but a case can be made for Mobile.
PC Level 7: Rogue 5//Wizard 2. Finally have access to Uncanny Dodge. We're doing solid damage with GFB, weapon damage dice, and Sneak attack damage dice.
PC Level 8: Rogue 6//Wizard 2. Sort of a dead level for spell casting progression, as we were a third level spell caster (four 1st level slots and two 2nd level slots, with the capability to recover a 1st level slot on a short rest) at PC Level 5. This gives us another pair of Expertise'd skills and turns us into a fourth level spell caster.
PC Level 9: Rogue 7//Wizard 2. Evasion! This is on top of 2nd level AT spells and another Sneak attack die.

This is the point in which the build would vary. Do you want to push for another ASI or do you want to start putting 2nd level spells in your spellbook? Personally, I would go for the ASI myself, so I'll continue building as if we're doing so.

PC Level 10: Rogue 8//Wizard 2. ASI, and another AT spell choice that isn't Illusion or Enchantment. Choose something here that you always want available that doesn't have to be prepared from your spellbook. As for the ASI, I'd go with +2 Dex, but an arguement could be made for Mobile or Resilient Con.
PC Level 11: Rogue 9//Wizard 2. More spell casting progression (fifth level spellcaster!), an increase in GFB's damage dice, and more Sneak attack. Not a particularly flashy level, but solid progression imo.
PC Level 12: Rogue 10//Wizard 2. Another ASI. They're coming in fast now. I would highly recommend maxing out your Dexterity at this point if you haven't already. If you have, Resilient Con or Mobile would be my choice.
PC Level 13: Rogue 11//Wizard 2. Reliable Talent, and another Sneak attack die. Nothing flashy once again, just solid progression.

Again, as before at PC Level 9, progression at this point is dependent on if you want higher level spells in your spellbook or if you want higher level Rogue features. I'm not going to build any further myself, as you probably get the gist of it at this point. Really the biggest point to be made here is that how much do you want to be a Rogue versus how much do you want to be a spellcaster?
So you brought up wanting to use spells like Greater Invisibility. Well, creatures you're fighting in the late teens or level 20 (which is when your build is probably picking up Wizard level 7) are most likely going to either have Truesight or the ability to see Invisibile creatures. That's just a fact of high CR creatures. Greater Invisibility really won't do you all that good. I'm also recommending Sharpshooter as a feat, but only taken as the final ASI for your PC. In the end game, a Rogue doesn't want to be anywhere near the bad guys, as they probably don't have very good AC. I understand you're choosing to go Bladesinger, and that helps your AC quite a bit, but the best course of action in my experience on someone who's primarily playing a Rogue is to stay in the back in the late game. You don't want anything to do with the big bads at this point or to be anywhere near them in melee range. Sharpshooter allows you to use a Shortbow with no penalties at it's maximum range (320') while still dealing pretty sweet Sneak attack damage.

It's definitely a pivot away from how your character has been build to play for probably the first 15 levels, but I'm being realistic is all. I've played a Rogue from level 2 up to level 20, and it was a decision I wish I had made (the character was Rogue Swashbuckler 15//Fiend Warlock 5) with the character, as melee range was a terribly deadly place for a Halfling Rogue.