PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Are you Thor, the God of Hammers? Actually it's Torr, but YES! 5E Character Creation

togapika
2018-02-26, 10:07 AM
So I'm playing in a Disney themed 5E D&D game, which includes all of the various Disney properties as possible sources to draw characters from, the characters from the various properties, story styles etc. Rather then do a D&D takeoff on a character that already exists, (which is allowed) I've decided to roll up an Asgardian as the God of Hammers.
Our GM is using this for Asgardian racial stats: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Asgardian_(5e_Race)

So far, I wrote him up as an Eldritch Knight Fighter with the Sage background, as it gives me both the ability to summon my hammers to my hand, as well as giving me more to do then just hit things. I've equipped him with a Maul for Melee and spells and throwing light hammers if he needs ranged.

Is this a decent class to go with for this idea, or is there something much better I'm missing? Are there any hammer related things that are a must have?

I've played tabletop for many years, but not much 5E

Zonugal
2018-02-26, 10:44 AM
That idea could certainly work but I'd say a Tempest Cleric is probably the easiest way to simulate Thor.

Utilizing the Dwarven Thrower magic weapon (and eventually the Hammer of Thunderbolts) will help as well.

togapika
2018-02-26, 10:48 AM
That idea could certainly work but I'd say a Tempest Cleric is probably the easiest way to simulate Thor.

Utilizing the Dwarven Thrower magic weapon (and eventually the Hammer of Thunderbolts) will help as well.

I'm not trying to simulate Thor, I'm making a new character who is the god of Hammers

Joe the Rat
2018-02-26, 11:48 AM
I'd suggest guild artisan or clan crafter for the background - you need proficiency in Carpenter's Tools and/or Smith's tools.

Vogie
2018-02-26, 01:46 PM
Dip into Forge Cleric to legitimately craft things magically, and imbue your arms & armor with magic.

Dip into Blade warlock to be able to summon a Maul or Greathammer with an action, allowing you to use weapon bond on your throwing hammers. Also, the Seeker and Celestial patrons will give a forge-like boon early on, while a Hexblade patron would allow you to get improved critical using hexblade's curse.

Dip into Stone Sorcerer for easy access to smite abilities.

Dip Battlerager Barbarian to come in like a Reckless wrecking ball.

Dip Hunter Ranger to get +2 to your ranged attacks, and either Horde breaker or Colossus Slayer to get either more attacks or more damage on hit, respectively.

togapika
2018-02-26, 09:04 PM
Dip into Forge Cleric to legitimately craft things magically, and imbue your arms & armor with magic.

Dip into Blade warlock to be able to summon a Maul or Greathammer with an action, allowing you to use weapon bond on your throwing hammers. Also, the Seeker and Celestial patrons will give a forge-like boon early on, while a Hexblade patron would allow you to get improved critical using hexblade's curse.

Dip into Stone Sorcerer for easy access to smite abilities.

Dip Battlerager Barbarian to come in like a Reckless wrecking ball.

Dip Hunter Ranger to get +2 to your ranged attacks, and either Horde breaker or Colossus Slayer to get either more attacks or more damage on hit, respectively.

I mean I can already summon two different weapons with Eldritch Knight, which means I can make one my primary melee weapon and the other a throwing hammer. As for the other classes, wouldn't dipping hurt me more overall with the loss of higher level EK spells?

Vogie
2018-02-26, 10:24 PM
I mean I can already summon two different weapons with Eldritch Knight, which means I can make one my primary melee weapon and the other a throwing hammer. As for the other classes, wouldn't dipping hurt me more overall with the loss of higher level EK spells?

The highest level you get as an EK is 4th level. If you care about spellcasting, going EK 10 and 10 in any full caster will give you 5th level spells.

For Example, a Warlock11-EK7 could be an absurd Damage dealer, pairing 3 Agonizing blast-fueled EB rays, then hitting with a weapon, every single turn. Sorcerer and Cleric Dips would only be 1-2 levels deep to get a more robust collection of lower-level spells.

togapika
2018-02-26, 10:29 PM
The highest level you get as an EK is 4th level. If you care about spellcasting, going EK 10 and 10 in any full caster will give you 5th level spells.

For Example, a Warlock11-EK7 could be an absurd Damage dealer, pairing 3 Agonizing blast-fueled EB rays, then hitting with a weapon, every single turn. Sorcerer and Cleric Dips would only be 1-2 levels deep to get a more robust collection of lower-level spells.

So you'd say it's not really worthwhile to take Fighter to 20? I'm pretty new to 5th ed, so I'm just trying to understand.

Malifice
2018-02-26, 10:32 PM
I'm not trying to simulate Thor, I'm making a new character who is the god of Hammers

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51CdME9u1DL._SY400_.jpg

Vogie
2018-02-26, 11:00 PM
So you'd say it's not really worthwhile to take Fighter to 20? I'm pretty new to 5th ed, so I'm just trying to understand.

It all depends on what you want. Does your character want to have extra attacks? Extra uses of Action Surge & Indomitable? Or do you want... other stuff?

There's lots of cool stuff out there, and 5e is a huge sandbox to play in. Maybe you're not caring so much for the caster stuff:
If you're gunning for that Arcane Charge at 15, for example, you might be able to get it earlier with multiclassing, and free up your Action surge (see that Teleportation build thread going on now).
If you like hitting things for larger numbers, maybe grab some Levels in Paladin to add some smites into the mix, or Swashbuckler Rogue to add some Sneak Attack damage.

togapika
2018-02-26, 11:28 PM
It all depends on what you want. Does your character want to have extra attacks? Extra uses of Action Surge & Indomitable? Or do you want... other stuff?

There's lots of cool stuff out there, and 5e is a huge sandbox to play in. Maybe you're not caring so much for the caster stuff:
If you're gunning for that Arcane Charge at 15, for example, you might be able to get it earlier with multiclassing, and free up your Action surge (see that Teleportation build thread going on now).
If you like hitting things for larger numbers, maybe grab some Levels in Paladin to add some smites into the mix, or Swashbuckler Rogue to add some Sneak Attack damage.

Well I for sure want to be a major boss with hammers, i just want more to do in a fight then just "I hit them" I took Eldritch Knight because I figured I could buff myself and with evocation I could focus on fire and stone type spells to fill out my flavor as a crafter/forge god in addition to the hammers

Vogie
2018-02-26, 11:50 PM
Well I for sure want to be a major boss with hammers, i just want more to do in a fight then just "I hit them" I took Eldritch Knight because I figured I could buff myself and with evocation I could focus on fire and stone type spells to fill out my flavor as a crafter/forge god in addition to the hammers

If you have the Wisdom for it, see if you can weave 2 levels of Forge cleric in there. You gain proficiency in smith's tools, you get Searing Smite for free, give your armor +1AC or make your weapons +1, AND magically create anything simple you want (under 100g in value) in just an hour. Oh, and you get cleric spells too, 3 cantrips and 3 1st level spells. That sounds pretty forge god to me

togapika
2018-02-27, 08:15 AM
If you have the Wisdom for it, see if you can weave 2 levels of Forge cleric in there. You gain proficiency in smith's tools, you get Searing Smite for free, give your armor +1AC or make your weapons +1, AND magically create anything simple you want (under 100g in value) in just an hour. Oh, and you get cleric spells too, 3 cantrips and 3 1st level spells. That sounds pretty forge god to me

So say take one more level of Eldritch Knight to put me at Fighter 4, and then go for 2 levels of cleric?
What about after?

Crgaston
2018-02-27, 08:32 AM
So say take one more level of Eldritch Knight to put me at Fighter 4, and then go for 2 levels of cleric?
What about after?
That would work, but you might want to wait until after L5 for your extra Attack.

Vogie
2018-02-27, 08:58 AM
It depends on what you want.

If you don't have 13 Wisdom already, then you have to wait for the appropriate ASI to bump you up.
Fighter Level 5 gives you an extra attack
Fighter Level 7 gives you the option to trade that 2 attacks for 1 cantrip + 1 attack.

So if you're wanting to focus on spellcasting more than that second weapon attack, maybe you grab it earlier that fighter level 5.

If you want to focus on grabbing damage, maybe wait for extra attack, then do a 1 level dip into cleric to get more spells and Blessing of the Forge, then build up to fighter 7 for War Magic, THEN grab that second level in cleric for the Artisan's Blessing and another 1st level spell

Joe the Rat
2018-02-27, 10:45 AM
That would work, but you might want to wait until after L5 for your extra Attack.

If you take Booming blade or Greenflame Blade, it takes a little of the sting off of the extra attack delay. And both work really well on the theme. Fire for forge, or thunder for hitting really, really hard (which I would flavor as driving them into the ground like a nail... but really, isn't everything a nail in your perspective?)

EK4/Forge1, then see how it feels. If you're missing the extra attack compared to single-class martials, drop back in for fighter 5. If you're good, get cleric 2, then switch back for more fighter.
(at some point you should get Cleric 3 for Spiritual Weapon.)

Also remember that the flavor - the image of your various spells - can always use a little more Hammer. Proper!
Shield is always a useful trick for melee types - spin your hammer.
Magic missile - summoning or drawing and throwing a bunch of hammers that strike unerringly.
etc.

togapika
2018-02-27, 04:53 PM
My stats are as follows:
Str 16
Dex 14
Con 18
Int 16
Wis 13
Cha 16

Yes, I know they're high

Armored Walrus
2018-02-27, 05:35 PM
The cool thing about being a Forge domain Cleric as the god of hammers, is you are your own deity ;)

I only came here to say Dwarven Thrower but someone beat me to it. You have to have that IMO, or your DM has to homebrew something like it.

Either that or get proficiency in carpentry and use claw hammers. (I'm not the god of *that* kind of hammer!)

Vogie
2018-02-28, 08:47 AM
Since your main weapon is going to be a Maul or Warhammer, the Fell Handed feat (UA June 6th 2016) would very thematic

togapika
2018-02-28, 10:08 AM
Since your main weapon is going to be a Maul or Warhammer, the Fell Handed feat (UA June 6th 2016) would very thematic

Already picked it up!