PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Another Mountain Dwarf Martial build moment

ZorroGames
2018-02-26, 10:42 AM
My kingdom for another martial! I am surrounded by full casters!! 😳 🙃

Just playing with Fighter and Ranger builds (single class and MC) - Right now just Fighter (ST or DE) and Ranger (Melee or Ranged.)

So, my my Basic Mountain Dwarf ST based Fighter scheme looks like:

ST 17
DE 10
CO 17
IN 8
WI 14
CH 8

What might be a background to perhaps give proficiencies that Fighters might not usually get or alternatively might improve a Fighter’s proficiency choices such as suggested by someone Both Athletics for grappling and Acrobatics for climbing?

What FS might be best for such a character?

Beyond +1 ST and +1 CO at fourth level what feats are “must seriously consider”?

Should I use my ASIs for WI or another ability? Or strictly feats after Fourth level?

Is Resilient DE or WI something to grab?

Cleric dip somewhere along the line?

I have my ideas but fishing for other viewpoints too.

Gracias in advance.

Crgaston
2018-02-26, 01:25 PM
Ok, I'll play...

Climbing is covered by the Athletics skill, so no need for Acrobatics unless you want to be walking on narrow ledges or some such.
As for backgrounds, Fighter already gives you Athletics, Perception, Insight and Survival, all of which you will be good at. So really you can just pick for flavor. Urban Bounty Hunter and Urchin are two of my favorites for the Thieves Tools access, but with your 10 Dex that won't be anything special.
Acolyte might be good for the 2 extra languages and if you are thinking about dipping Cleric (or just taking Magic Initiate: Cleric). Have a peek at Guild Merchant, Far Traveler, City Watch or Courtier backgrounds.

You didn't mention which Archetype you're taking. Samurai might synergize well with HAM since you get both THP and DR. Also, it gives you an extra skill or an extra language, so with background you could have up to 3 extra languages, which is unexpected from the average dwarf. Plus you'd get to add your Wis mod to Persuasion checks which would help out with your abysmal Cha.

As to Fighting Style, I'd go Defense or Dueling. Or maybe Protection if you have a Melee buddy. Using reactions is fun!

Lots of choices! Have fun, and hope this helps.

Edit:

Sample Build:
Acolyte (Insight,Religion, 2 Languages)
Fighter 1 (Athletics, Perception, Second Wind, Defense FS)
F2 (Action Surge x1)
F3 Samurai Archetype, Fighting Spirit 3x/day, Persuasion skill
F4 Heavy armor Master (+1 Str and DR3 beats the heck out of +1 Con)
F5 Extra Attack
F6 Resilient: Wis
F7 Elegant Courtier (prof in Int or Cha Saves, +Wis to Persuasion)
F8 MI: Cleric for Guidance, Toll the Dead, and Bless
F9 Indomitable
F10 Tireless Spirit (At the start of each combat you get another use of Fighting Spirit. Also your THP from FS go up to 10)
F11 Extra Attack 2
F12 +1 Wis/Con (finally!)

So at this point, your stats are 18/10/18/8/16/8 with proficiency in 4 saves and a +6 Persuasion despite your 8 Cha. You can give yourself +1d4 on any skill check or drop a 3d8/3d12 necrotic attack out to 60' at will and Bless your party once a day.
AC 21 with plate+shield or 19 with a heavy weapon, and you can give yourself 10 HP (buffered by your DR3) and advantage on 3 attacks (6 every short rest with Action Surge) in a round.

Now you have a few more feats and abilities ahead (the L15 Samurai feature is pretty boss) or you can start diversifying with Cleric.

Biggstick
2018-02-26, 05:18 PM
Mountain Dwarf Eldritch Knight.

15+2
15+2

Background: I actually love the Archaeologist background from the Tomb of Annihilation appendix. It gives you History and Survival skill proficiency, Cartographer's or Navigator's tools (go with Cartographer's), an additional language (go with something super exotic, or Elven), and then 25 gold. The Historical Knowledge feature of Archaelogist sorta overlaps with Stonecunning from Dwarves, but this feature gives you an infallible feature that helps when delving through dungeons. It also helps you price out works of art that are 1 century or older.

Level 1 choices: Defense Fighting style. We're a ball of armor, and we want to improve our AC. We're definitely going SnB.
Level 3 choices: GFB and Mold Earth. Shield, Absorb Elements, and Find Familiar.
Level 4 choices: ASI. +1 Str and +1 Con.
Level 6 choices: ASI. Resilient Wisdom.
Level 8 choices: ASI. Lucky. You're also getting to choose another spell from any school here, and I'd suggest Shadow Blade. While I understand that it's an Illusion spell, being able to, as a Bonus Action, create a blade (that you can use with Strength) that deals 2d8 Psychic damage per strike is pretty sweet. This spell becomes even more powerful the more times you attack, and it being of a rarely resisted damage type makes it even better.

At this point, you can really go wherever you want. You could look to grab something like Warcaster, Mobile, Alert, or simply get another +2 Strength. This is a stocky character build that represents a quintessential adventurer (a dungeon delving Dwarf with knowledge on the dungeon, the ability to map it out both with tools and with a Familiar, and a decent Action economy available). You're not the most persuasive Dwarf in the world with 8 Charisma, but that's easy to roleplay. Your party will know they can count on you when dealing with anything that might even remotely resemble a dungeon.

Arkhios
2018-02-27, 12:06 AM
Why not try a Mountain Dwarf Rogue for change? For me, rogue does count as a martial class, as by default, it relies on martial techniques (weapons in combat over magic). Even though it lacks Extra Attack.
Monk, too, kind of, although with ki-dependency it might be a bit on the verge of not counting as martial (for me at least).

You get medium armor proficiency from your race, so you could either leave dex at 10 and pick heavily armored at 4th level, or invest 13-14 in dex and keep medium armor.

Obviously with heavy armor you wouldn't be great with stealth, but who said a rogue had to be? Sneak Attack doesn't depend solely on being unseen or unheard. A distraction from another ally of yours adjacent to your target is enough. And so is advantage if you get it for your attack rolls against the target.
For heavily armored rogue, I'd suggest Swashbuckler, as you would greatly benefit from heavy AC when in melee, and preferably dual wielding.

For medium armor rogue, anything goes, although you could follow similar logic as with heavy armor: forget stealth, do something different! Maybe expertise in Athletics and be a grappler! Grappling gives you relatively constant advantage for those sneak attacks!

Oh, and you don't have to use Dex with finesse weapons; you can still rely on high Str as a rogue and be good at it.

As for weapons, I find that any short (and "stunted") weapon is flavorful for a dwarf, such as both shortswords and daggers. My personal favorite is to refluff a shortsword as punching dagger (or "katar" if you prefer that), as it's technically more effective than standard dagger, but not much so. Shortsword can't be thrown, and neither can punching dagger, so shortsword works better than dagger to emulate it. Damage type is same: Piercing.

ZorroGames
2018-02-28, 07:43 AM
Ok, I'll play...

Climbing is covered by the Athletics skill, so no need for Acrobatics unless you want to be walking on narrow ledges or some such.
As for backgrounds, Fighter already gives you Athletics, Perception, Insight and Survival, all of which you will be good at. So really you can just pick for flavor. Urban Bounty Hunter and Urchin are two of my favorites for the Thieves Tools access, but with your 10 Dex that won't be anything special.
Acolyte might be good for the 2 extra languages and if you are thinking about dipping Cleric (or just taking Magic Initiate: Cleric). Have a peek at Guild Merchant, Far Traveler, City Watch or Courtier backgrounds.

You didn't mention which Archetype you're taking. Samurai might synergize well with HAM since you get both THP and DR. Also, it gives you an extra skill or an extra language, so with background you could have up to 3 extra languages, which is unexpected from the average dwarf. Plus you'd get to add your Wis mod to Persuasion checks which would help out with your abysmal Cha.

As to Fighting Style, I'd go Defense or Dueling. Or maybe Protection if you have a Melee buddy. Using reactions is fun!

Lots of choices! Have fun, and hope this helps.

Edit:

Sample Build:
Acolyte (Insight,Religion, 2 Languages)
Fighter 1 (Athletics, Perception, Second Wind, Defense FS)
F2 (Action Surge x1)
F3 Samurai Archetype, Fighting Spirit 3x/day, Persuasion skill
F4 Heavy armor Master (+1 Str and DR3 beats the heck out of +1 Con)
F5 Extra Attack
F6 Resilient: Wis
F7 Elegant Courtier (prof in Int or Cha Saves, +Wis to Persuasion)
F8 MI: Cleric for Guidance, Toll the Dead, and Bless
F9 Indomitable
F10 Tireless Spirit (At the start of each combat you get another use of Fighting Spirit. Also your THP from FS go up to 10)
F11 Extra Attack 2
F12 +1 Wis/Con (finally!)

So at this point, your stats are 18/10/18/8/16/8 with proficiency in 4 saves and a +6 Persuasion despite your 8 Cha. You can give yourself +1d4 on any skill check at will, and Bless your party once a day, and drop a 3d8/3d12 necrotic damage out to 60'. AC 21 with plate+shield or 19 with a heavy weapon, and you can give yourself 10 HP (buffered by your DR3) and advantage on 3 attacks (6 every short rest with Action Surge) in a round.

Now you have a few more feats and abilities ahead (the L15 Samurai feature is pretty boss) or you can start diversifying with Cleric.

You are right. Archtype TBD since this is a almost ready to play (needs twealing and us to finish ToA before I drop it in the table.)

Nice design, BTW.

ZorroGames
2018-02-28, 07:52 AM
Mountain Dwarf Eldritch Knight.

15+2
15+2

Background: I actually love the Archaeologist background from the Tomb of Annihilation appendix. It gives you History and Survival skill proficiency, Cartographer's or Navigator's tools (go with Cartographer's), an additional language (go with something super exotic, or Elven), and then 25 gold. The Historical Knowledge feature of Archaelogist sorta overlaps with Stonecunning from Dwarves, but this feature gives you an infallible feature that helps when delving through dungeons. It also helps you price out works of art that are 1 century or older.

Level 1 choices: Defense Fighting style. We're a ball of armor, and we want to improve our AC. We're definitely going SnB.
Level 3 choices: GFB and Mold Earth. Shield, Absorb Elements, and Find Familiar.
Level 4 choices: ASI. +1 Str and +1 Con.
Level 6 choices: ASI. Resilient Wisdom.
Level 8 choices: ASI. Lucky. You're also getting to choose another spell from any school here, and I'd suggest Shadow Blade. While I understand that it's an Illusion spell, being able to, as a Bonus Action, create a blade (that you can use with Strength) that deals 2d8 Psychic damage per strike is pretty sweet. This spell becomes even more powerful the more times you attack, and it being of a rarely resisted damage type makes it even better.

At this point, you can really go wherever you want. You could look to grab something like Warcaster, Mobile, Alert, or simply get another +2 Strength. This is a stocky character build that represents a quintessential adventurer (a dungeon delving Dwarf with knowledge on the dungeon, the ability to map it out both with tools and with a Familiar, and a decent Action economy available). You're not the most persuasive Dwarf in the world with 8 Charisma, but that's easy to roleplay. Your party will know they can count on you when dealing with anything that might even remotely resemble a dungeon.

Another great build. And you are right, in the 4 player party of ToA we have a Tortle cleric (?, it’s still my first cup,of coffee,) a Hill Dwarf Sorcerer, and a Druid all I hear is that my MAM Longbow Ranger is “the closest we have to a Fighter” for melee.

And I am the lowest (5th level, all others 7th,) since I wandered off (had to miss several “lost in Chult” games) for about a game month. Still want to write up what happened (Last night made 6th and will be MC into Cleric) while “away.”

This character is a Variant Human Archaeologist for a change, Chultan, and despite an 18 DE seems to go last/next to last in initiative.

:smallconfused:

ZorroGames
2018-02-28, 07:58 AM
Why not try a Mountain Dwarf Rogue for change? For me, rogue does count as a martial class, as by default, it relies on martial techniques (weapons in combat over magic). Even though it lacks Extra Attack.
Monk, too, kind of, although with ki-dependency it might be a bit on the verge of not counting as martial (for me at least).

You get medium armor proficiency from your race, so you could either leave dex at 10 and pick heavily armored at 4th level, or invest 13-14 in dex and keep medium armor.

Obviously with heavy armor you wouldn't be great with stealth, but who said a rogue had to be? Sneak Attack doesn't depend solely on being unseen or unheard. A distraction from another ally of yours adjacent to your target is enough. And so is advantage if you get it for your attack rolls against the target.
For heavily armored rogue, I'd suggest Swashbuckler, as you would greatly benefit from heavy AC when in melee, and preferably dual wielding.

For medium armor rogue, anything goes, although you could follow similar logic as with heavy armor: forget stealth, do something different! Maybe expertise in Athletics and be a grappler! Grappling gives you relatively constant advantage for those sneak attacks!

Oh, and you don't have to use Dex with finesse weapons; you can still rely on high Str as a rogue and be good at it.

As for weapons, I find that any short (and "stunted") weapon is flavorful for a dwarf, such as both shortswords and daggers. My personal favorite is to refluff a shortsword as punching dagger (or "katar" if you prefer that), as it's technically more effective than standard dagger, but not much so. Shortsword can't be thrown, and neither can punching dagger, so shortsword works better than dagger to emulate it. Damage type is same: Piercing.

Actually have a non-sneaky “Enforcer” Mountain Dwarf rogue in my 1/2” binder of “Play one of these next” characters. Your build looks very cool.