PDA

View Full Version : Roy's dad can bite me!

outlander
2007-08-28, 04:26 PM
Well, it was nice to finaly see roy again, but I was so pissed at his dad it wasn't even funny. I mean, roy DIED trying to kill xykon, and can his obnoxious dad even say thanks? On hell no, he's gotta start digging right in with the sarcasm and the sniping.

Some way to welcome your son to the other side there, Greenhilt Sr.

Lissou
2007-08-28, 04:28 PM
Roy has been dead for a bit now. I don't think his father was welcoming him. i'm pretty sure they exchanged other words.
And that's just how Eugene is. If he's thanksful, he's not going to show it. Unfortunately for my husband, my father-in-law is exactly like that, so i know what I'm talking about.

SteveMB
2007-08-28, 04:29 PM
Well, it was nice to finaly see roy again, but I was so pissed at his dad it wasn't even funny. I mean, roy DIED trying to kill xykon, and can his obnoxious dad even say thanks? On hell no, he's gotta start digging right in with the sarcasm and the sniping.
Eugene always was a bit of a jerk.

Catch
2007-08-28, 04:29 PM
It's part of his character and it's funny.

chibibar
2007-08-28, 05:09 PM
you know the father is going to rub it in saying that a Fight had no chance of beating Xykon. If Roy was a mage/wizard or something magic user might have a chance ;)

RAGE KING!
2007-08-28, 05:39 PM
meh. It was funny.

yoshi927
2007-08-28, 06:33 PM
Bah, Eugene is awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Gundato
2007-08-28, 06:52 PM
Think about it this way: Roy only had one real task in life as far as Eugene (and, assuming the Blood Oath goes down the line, the entire Greenhilt family) is concerned. And Roy screwed up. He didn't die valiantly, he died because he was too anxious to fight. I think Eugene is allowed to rub a bit of salt in that wound.

Chronos
2007-08-28, 08:54 PM
Eugene might be a slight bit justified, if he weren't so pathetic himself. He had an entire lifetime to hunt down Xykon, and the closest he ever got was to barge in on someone completely unrelated who happened to have a similar name. Oh, and if he had managed to catch up to Xykon, his plan was apparently to turn him into a frog (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0078.html), which would have been even more useless than sticking him with sharp pieces of metal. Since, as any wizard should know, especially any wizard with a sworn blood oath of vengeance against a lich, liches are immune to all polymorph effects.

factotum
2007-08-29, 01:17 AM
Since, as any wizard should know, especially any wizard with a sworn blood oath of vengeance against a lich, liches are immune to all polymorph effects.

I believe Xykon was not a lich at the time Eugene swore the blood oath against him, so he can be forgiven for not knowing some of the details...although since he then goes on to describe all the ways in which sticking Xykon with a sharp piece of metal won't help, it's a bit pot calling the kettle black there!

Charles Phipps
2007-08-29, 02:58 AM
I think Eugene is allowed to rub a bit of salt in that wound.

Only if Roy can stab Eugene in return.

I remind you, Eugene died too without fulfilling the quest and probably achieved a lot less than Roy ever did.

Elandegenerate
2007-08-29, 04:15 AM
i believe that that is suppose to be that dry humor (or whatever) that happens in dramatic moments.

like when person A and B are surrounded by the enemy and about to die, and one says to the other "well, looks like I wont be giving you that money i owe you afterall"

or whatever

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-29, 04:20 AM
This is called "dry humor", as has been referance numerable times. Death is very reversable in D&D, as has been mentioned numerous times both in-comic and out-of-comic.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-29, 04:45 AM
Roys dad cant bite you. Hes incorpreal. Hahahahahaha I'm so funny.

I'm going to shut up now.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-08-29, 05:55 AM
Wow, an echo.

Seriously that was hillarious. I love that kind of humour, derived from behaviour, not gags. For more details see Yes Minister.

SteveMB
2007-08-29, 05:56 AM
i believe that that is suppose to be that dry humor (or whatever) that happens in dramatic moments.

like when person A and B are surrounded by the enemy and about to die, and one says to the other "well, looks like I wont be giving you that money i owe you afterall"

Nah, that's when one hands the other a bag of gold and says, "Remember, I paid you".

Chronos
2007-08-29, 10:00 AM
I believe Xykon was not a lich at the time Eugene swore the blood oath against him, so he can be forgiven for not knowing some of the details...True, but he's known about the lich thing since Roy was seven years old. You'd think that that'd be enough time to do at least the most rudimentary of research. I mean, about the only thing stupider than trying to polymorph a lich is trying to poison one.

banjo1985
2007-08-29, 10:41 AM
True, but he's known about the lich thing since Roy was seven years old. You'd think that that'd be enough time to do at least the most rudimentary of research. I mean, about the only thing stupider than trying to polymorph a lich is trying to poison one.

I dunno I can think of stupider...how about trying to get one to dress up as a bunny, dip itself in barbecue sauce and send it running into the nearest fast food restaurant? Sounds stupider to me!

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-29, 10:53 AM
Roys dad cant bite you. Hes incorpreal. Hahahahahaha I'm so funny.

I'm going to shut up now.

Its lame that I only just now thought of this.
Eugene took a level in Kensai. His teeth are +1 Ghost Touch.

Issabella
2007-08-29, 11:13 AM
Roy's father never thought Roy could defeat the lich, not one chance. He told Roy so he could pass it along to his sister, whom being a wizard, would have had a better chance (Julia being a caster, and Eugene favoring casters)

psychoticbarber
2007-08-29, 11:36 AM
Really, Eugene being a jerk is part of the charm of the character. It's not at all out of character for him, in fact, it was spot-on. So was Roy's reaction. I see nothing here but good writing, folks.

Alias
2007-08-29, 12:41 PM
I can't wait for Miko to show up. I wonder if death has changed her perspective :smallbiggrin:

2007-08-29, 12:48 PM
I can't wait for Miko to show up. I wonder if death has changed her perspective :smallbiggrin:

She won't.

(I really hope not, anyway)

Because people go to the heaven their Alignment picks. Roy is Lawful Good. Miko isn't anymore.

Carteeg_Struve
2007-08-29, 02:05 PM
She won't.

Because people go to the heaven their Alignment picks. Roy is Lawful Good. Miko isn't anymore.

And Eugene is LG?

I doubt Miko will be seen, more on the reason that Miko has gone on to some sort of peace in the afterlife for wherever the Unlawfully Confused Neutral characters go. Eugene and Roy are stuck half-between until the oath is finished or Roy gets his mulligan.

Querzis
2007-08-29, 02:13 PM
And Eugene is LG?

We cant be sure of Eugene alignement. Since he was a high level wizard and since his ghost still has all his magical power, he could very well travel between the planes. But he could also be LG, being a jerk doesnt make you evil or even neutral.

Ecalsneerg
2007-08-29, 02:16 PM
We cant be sure of Eugene alignement. Since he was a high level wizard and since his ghost still has all his magical power, he could very well travel between the planes. But he could also be LG, being a jerk doesnt make you evil or even neutral.

We've also only seen him act like a jerk to his son. And possibly his wife (the using of the "'til death do us part" loophole :P )

David Argall
2007-08-29, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias
I can't wait for Miko to show up. I wonder if death has changed her perspective

She won't.

That send off for Miko was just too final. It would be bad writing to bring her back. Desirable, but bad.

Nor should death change her. Her attitude is her charm, the reason we would like her back. Bringing her back as some watered-down milksop would be the worst of choices.

And Miko is still LG. She is no longer a paladin, but neither are Roy or his dad.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-29, 02:35 PM
Eugene Greenhilt is Lawful Good, and has been confirmed as such.

Lawful in OOotPCs, and Good in SoD.
I have not read SoD, and therefore cannot cite the specific example, it was cited to me, however -
In OOotPCs:
Eugene visits Roy in Fighter College after stating that he would never speak to Roy again, since Roy decided to become a fighter. Roy initially refuses to believe that the person speaking to him is in fact, Eugene, stating "My Dad is nothing if not Lawful"

Chronos
2007-08-29, 02:39 PM
I see nothing here but good writing, folks.Oh, certainly. The writing is spot-on in depicting a character we don't like. The same was true of Miko, for that matter. It's not the depiction of the character we're complaining about, but the character himself.

Oberon
2007-08-29, 04:11 PM
We've also only seen him act like a jerk to his son. And possibly his wife (the using of the "'til death do us part" loophole :P )

And that loophole also shows that he obeys the law to the letter. His agreement was until death, so he stuck it out that long in accordance with the agreement he undertook, and then was free to play the field again.

Law abiding, yes, but theres nothing that says that a lawful character cannot use the laws in their favour. Thats why the "oppressive landowner" character who overtaxes the masses is LE, not NE or CE.

And if anyone thinks a LG character cannot be a jerk, look at Miko...

the_tick_rules
2007-08-30, 12:28 AM
i just had a flash of inspiration. from now i will refer to all wizard-centrists as RD's (roy's dad).

Peanut Gallery
2007-08-30, 02:54 AM
Eugene might be a slight bit justified, if he weren't so pathetic himself. He had an entire lifetime to hunt down Xykon, and the closest he ever got was to barge in on someone completely unrelated who happened to have a similar name. Oh, and if he had managed to catch up to Xykon, his plan was apparently to turn him into a frog (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0078.html), which would have been even more useless than sticking him with sharp pieces of metal. Since, as any wizard should know, especially any wizard with a sworn blood oath of vengeance against a lich, liches are immune to all polymorph effects.

You know I seem to recall that Right-Eye gave him the perfect opportunity to go hunt down Xykon, and he turned it down because he believed that his family was more important.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-30, 03:36 AM
Sorry if this has been said before, but...

Roy's dad can't bite you. He's non-corporeal.

Aside from that, I think that Miko has proven beyond any doubt that you can be LG and still be a jerk.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-30, 05:05 AM
[QUOTE=Kurald Galain;3117442]Sorry if this has been said before, but...

Roy's dad can't bite you. He's non-corporeal.
[QUOTE]

It has been said before, And I shall respond in the same way I responded to the first one. Eugene Greenhilt took a level in Kensai. His teeth are Ghost-touch.