PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Creating a Backstory! Gloom Stalker Kobold

Hobbo Jim
2018-02-26, 03:15 PM
We've played on session, and I have a Kobold Gloom stalker, who hails from a clan of kobolds that worship/work for an Adult or Ancient Shadow Dragon. So far, I know that he wants to become a Dragon Knight, who we know are powerful and noble warriors who roam the lands, but their numbers have been decreasing.

I'm brainstorming reasons that he left his clan, but would like to avoid saying they all died or he was exiled. Kobolds have a very strong 'For the good of the many' culture, so it would have to be something that helps the entire clan. It could tie into becoming a dragon knight or be two separate goals (which might be interesting, especially if at some point they conflict). At present I'm thinking he left in order to find a new area for the dragon to settle/have the colony start mining, or to gain political influence for the dragon by becoming a knight.

Personality wise, he's confident, and has relatively good stats all around w/ a dex of 20, a str of 4. Gloom stalker both because he's probably spent a lot of time in the mountains (favored terrain) and serves a shadow dragon.

Quoz
2018-02-27, 03:26 AM
I played something like this in 4e. I was a kobold champion of Bahamut. I had a rival NPC, a dragonborn champion of Tiamat. Basically the gods had made a wager. Bahamut chose the champions, but Tiamat got first pick.

My character's official alignment was chaotic evil, but he was karmicly 'cursed' so that the outcomes of his actions had effects that led toward good and law. He even kept his 'book of blasphemy', a list of grievances against the gods that grew comically longer as the campaign went on.

There are plenty of reasons to leave your tribe voluntarily. A flavorful one is the missionary: leave your tribe to spread the good word of your draconic Lord and master. Or on some quest for the dragon. Recovering a stolen egg or treasure for his hoard is a good start.

opaopajr
2018-02-27, 04:06 PM
Use the random tables for Backgrounds! :smallcool: If you need more, use the random tables from the DMG! Roll a few templates (roll once for each category and accept regardless) and see which one grabs you the most.

Let the dice decide! Pick what grabs you from several completed templates! Form a narrative around your favorite! Ta-dah! :smallcool:

Finback
2018-02-27, 11:49 PM
Perhaps he is starting to realise that serving the clan is more important than serving the dragon, which he knows could cause conflict with traditionalists within the clan. His doubts give him the chance to change the typical alignment, etc. and it gives him the option of finding other dragons, perhaps more noble ones, to serve - his story arc could see him becoming a redeemer of kobolds in the eyes of others. Maybe for decades, his clan have been at war with dwarves or halflings that live nearby. His arc could see him become more open to seeing how working with other groups could improve the wellbeing of his clan, and lead to a cessation of hostilities or even trade between his clan and the rivals.