PDA

View Full Version : Making this Character in D&D

PunkManiak
2018-02-26, 03:31 PM
I recently had another idea for a character build inspired by Dark Souls, specifically Dark Souls 3. I知 wondering if it would be at all viable to transplant such a character from DS3 into D&D 3.5.

The basic character concept, is a dex-based Ranger or swift warrior, utilizing a finesse-Greatsword in melee combat, but predominantly a longbow at range, and when stealth might be necessary, a humble little dagger, for decent damage.

The character would most likely be something like a Wood-Elf, (since there is an Elven finesse-able Greatsword as I remember,) with his primary stats being, Dex, Con, and Str, with Charisma as something of a dump stat.

I知 unsure if making him a ranger would work best or if there痴 something better for making a Dex-based warrior like this.

edathompson2
2018-02-26, 03:44 PM
There is an elven great court sword that requires an exotic weapon proficiency. It allows you to add weapon finesse for the dex bonus.

Ranger/Scout would be the best. Great Ranger/Scout feat that allows skirmish and critical hits to affect favored enemies even if normally immune (constructs, undead).

Then just pump everything into favored enemy damage and skirmish damage and you're good. I've seen it done. 16th level was dropping 300 damage per round.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-02-26, 03:49 PM
In D&D, it is probably easier to get a dex-based warrior to be great at attacking people at range from stealth with a greatsword than to be separately great at all those different strategies of greatsword, longbow, and dagger.

That said, you can do well with generic bonus damage (sneak attack, X to Y, Shadow Blade, maybe some Shiba Protector + Zen Archery) and a selection of buff spells--maybe Tashalatora psywar with swordsage 1/monk 1 (or swordsage 2, but monk gets you a prereq-free bonus feat). You can also try a mind blade-focused build, using Soulbow and some shape feats to get a greatsword/longbow/dagger that is somehow the same weapon.

DEMON
2018-02-26, 04:21 PM
I recently had another idea for a character build inspired by Dark Souls, specifically Dark Souls 3. I知 wondering if it would be at all viable to transplant such a character from DS3 into D&D 3.5.

The basic character concept, is a dex-based Ranger or swift warrior, utilizing a finesse-Greatsword in melee combat, but predominantly a longbow at range, and when stealth might be necessary, a humble little dagger, for decent damage.

The sword you are looking for is Elven Courtblade from RotW. Not compatible with Shadow Blade feat, though.
Be aware that archery in 3.5 is extremely feat intensive, if you want to be decent at it, thus living little room for other combat styles.

The character would most likely be something like a Wood-Elf, (since there is an Elven finesse-able Greatsword as I remember,) with his primary stats being, Dex, Con, and Str, with Charisma as something of a dump stat.

I知 unsure if making him a ranger would work best or if there痴 something better for making a Dex-based warrior like this.

Snow Elf (Frostburn) has +2 DEX -2 CHA, so is probably a better option than a Wood Elf with CON penalty.
DotU has a Fighter ACF that gives you DEX to damage against flat-footed opponents. Combine with Sneak Attack variant from UA for more additional damage. You only need a 1 level dip, really.
Ranger + Scout = Swift Hunter (needs a feat) for another source of damage.
Champion of Corellon Larethian (RotW) PrC gives DEX to damage with several weapons (including elven courtblade) at 2nd level, but it's a pain to enter this PrC.

Ranger/Scout would be the best. Great Ranger/Scout feat that allows skirmish and critical hits to affect favored enemies even if normally immune (constructs, undead).

Swift Hunter only allows skirmish against normally immune Favored Enemies. It does nothing for critical hits (FEs are still immune to those).