PDA

View Full Version : Skill Boosting Feats

jqavins
2018-02-26, 03:33 PM
As a fan of skills, I find the feats that give +2 on two skills quite severely underwhelming. Has anybody got a house rule or other brew that makes these things worth taking? I was thinking along the lines of adding +1/character level, rather than a flat +2, and expanding them to three or four skills each. Too much? Any better ideas?

Examples I was thinking of:

Athletic - You are naturally athletic. You add your character level to all skill checks for Climb, Jump, and Swim. (Replaces existing the Athletic feat.)
Trustworthy - People just naturally trust you. You add your character level to all skill checks for Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information. (New; overlaps existing feats.)

I might even go as far as making one generalized skill boost feat:
Skill Boost - Pick three skills that are related in some rational way (DM approval required). You add your character level to all checks with these skills.

Special: You may take this feat more than once. Pick three different skills each time you take this feat; you cannot use this feat more than once for the same skill.
See rewrite in Post #6.

Caelestion
2018-02-26, 04:02 PM
Adding your level would be way too much! Even half your level is bordering on excessive and I'd save that for Skill Focus (on a single skill).

I could see Skill Synergy affecting three skills at once or maybe making the affected skills class skills as well.

rferries
2018-02-27, 01:57 AM
I've attempted a bunch of fixes (feats that give extra skill points to be used on select skills, feats that alow you to take 10/20 more easily, a super Skill Focus that gives a bonus of one-half your character level, etc.). I agree that a bonus of your full character level is probably too much (potential Diplomacy abuse if nothing else).

jqavins
2018-03-01, 01:31 PM
rferries, I usually like your ideas, even though I often think they are overpowered. So if even you are saying that adding one's level is too much then I've really got a problem. :smallwink:

So, here's a rewrite.

Aptitude
You have a particular talent that aids your performance in a few different skills.

Choose (usually) three related skills (DM approval required). You gain a bonus of +2 on all rolls with these skills. At character level 4 the bonus increases to +3, and by another +1 for every 4 levels thereafter, to a maximum of +7 at 20th level.

Notes: As a player, you are encouraged to come up with a one or two word title and a short one sentence description for your selection of skills. If you find it difficult to describe your selection of skills in this way it is a hint that there may not be a sufficient relation between them. In any case, the combination may be allowed or disallowed by your DM.

Not all skills are created equal, and some are more useful in play than others. Therefore, the DM may only allow two very useful skills, or may allow four esoteric ones.

Some examples include:

Athletic - You are unusually fit and agile. Bonuses apply to the Jump, Climb, and Swim skills.
Trustworthy - People just naturally trust you. Bonuses apply to the Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Bluff skills.
Observant - You notice things other people miss. Bonuses apply to the Search and Spot skills.
Scholarly - You enjoy studying and have a head for facts. Bonuses apply to Knowledge (any four).

Special: You may take this feat more than once. Pick a different group of skills each time you take this feat; you cannot use this feat more than once for the same skill.

Caelestion
2018-03-01, 01:40 PM
That's certainly better-balanced, but +7 at the end is an odd number, which is unfortunate. How about incrementing the bonus at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th (total +6)?

jqavins
2018-03-01, 02:43 PM
Maybe, but what's wrong with odd numbers? For attribute improvements I understand, since the mods only change at even numbers, but in this context why does it matter?

rferries
2018-03-01, 04:21 PM
rferries, I usually like your ideas, even though I often think they are overpowered. So if even you are saying that adding one's level is too much then I've really got a problem. :smallwink:

Haw! Guilty as charged :D

Caelestion
2018-03-01, 05:11 PM
Maybe, but what's wrong with odd numbers? For attribute improvements I understand, since the mods only change at even numbers, but in this context why does it matter?

Even bonuses are traditional. I think it's odd to end on an odd bonus that isn't +5.