PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed ECL of Pleasure Devil

tbleggett
2018-02-26, 04:16 PM
Title says it all.

Working on some NPC's for my campaign, and have and idea for a cleric with the leadership feat. A Pleasure Devils skill set and SLA's work out very well as a spy master of sorts, unfortunatly, she has no level adjustment. Now, as an NPC I could just make her his cohort, but I wanted to do a by the book build.

Flipping through my books a notice these.

Astra Deva: CR 14, LA +8, 12HD.
Pleasure Devil CR 11, no LA, 12 HD.

Now my question is. Would it be safe to assume the Pleasure Devil would have the same LA as the deva, or possible even as high as +10 or higher?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

atemu1234
2018-02-26, 04:21 PM
What's the source on a pleasure devil? It might have a lower ECL. Frankly, an LA of +8 is kind of... ridiculous.

InterstellarPro
2018-02-26, 04:34 PM
What's the source on a pleasure devil? It might have a lower ECL. Frankly, an LA of +8 is kind of... ridiculous.

Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells

Caelestion
2018-02-26, 06:15 PM
NPCs don't observe LAs (you use their CR instead), but even if they did, going by established LAs, it's unlikely to be lower than that of an erinyes.

Yogibear41
2018-02-26, 06:30 PM
You could use the variant half fiend for a half Pleasure devil that gains most of the same SLAs. In that case it would be +4 la.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070209a&pf=true

Telonius
2018-02-26, 07:31 PM
I made a build for this type of character in a Villainous Competition a few years back. Desideria (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19121436&postcount=65) was a Changeling Half-Fiend that ended up emulating a succubus. Lots of levels of Beguiler, no RHD, LA minimal (from half-fiend).

denthor
2018-02-26, 07:35 PM
The male version of a succubus is a devil

Caelestion
2018-02-26, 07:39 PM
A male succubus would be an incubus. Neither would be devils, as succubi/incubi are demons.

KillianHawkeye
2018-02-27, 12:16 PM
The male version of a succubus is a devil

No, but the Pleasure Devil is basically the devil version of a Succubus....

Caelestion
2018-02-27, 12:25 PM
The brachina, just like the erinyes and the succubus, presents as female, but is presumably capable of assuming a male persona.

Thurbane
2018-02-27, 03:57 PM
NPCs don't observe LAs (you use their CR instead), but even if they did, going by established LAs, it's unlikely to be lower than that of an erinyes.

NPCs/cohorts still use ECL. CR is for enemies.

If I was going to eyeball it, using the type of LAs that WotC assigned, I'd say around +7/+8. Even the "humble" bearded devil comes in at +6.

tbleggett
2018-03-05, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it.

Sometimes these inflated LA can be real annoying, especially at high level play where they begin to taper down in power.

hamishspence
2018-03-05, 10:44 AM
The brachina, just like the erinyes and the succubus, presents as female, but is presumably capable of assuming a male persona.

Actually, erinyes can be male according to FC2, roosting in eyries, true-breeding new erinyes amongst themselves. They have no magical method of disguising themselves:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#erinyes

Caelestion
2018-03-05, 10:58 AM
According to the 2nd Edition Guide to Hell, female fiends are not fertile and thus all half-fiends, cambions and the like result from the pairing of a male fiend with a mortal mother.

Vrock Bait
2019-07-10, 01:12 AM
Not to necropost, but I believe I need to make a correction. In the 3rd Edition Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells, on page 18, it states: “While all devils can mate with and impregnate mortals, only erinyes, pleasure devils, and unique female devils are capable of becoming pregnant...Young erinyes are the only true offspring raised in Baator.” Since this is a 3rd Edition discussion talking about a monster that literally comes from this book, I believe this overrules your statement. Again, sorry for necromancy, but I believe this information is important due to the error made by Caelastion.

Caelestion
2019-07-10, 03:10 AM
Yes, if you are using FC2, a 2nd Ed guideline wouldn't necessarily apply, but calling it an error is itself incorrect.

flat_footed
2019-07-15, 12:59 AM
The Fullmetal Mod: Thread Necromancy is a forbidden art.