PDA

View Full Version : I just figured out the genius of 484

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-28, 04:54 PM
Took me a couple rereads, but I finally got the whole undertone of strip 484, besides ending the story arc and setting up lots of plot points: irony.

Everybody is talking about each other and nobody knows they're being talked about.

1. Hinjo is talking about taking back the city while Kubota and his allies are talking about how he survived.
2. The OotS are talking about how there's nothing to worry about while Kubota and his allies are plotting to kill them.
3. The OotS are talking about how there's nothing to worry about while Belkar is almost blowing Haley's cover with his scream as they hide from a legion of hobgoblins.
4. Redcloak is saying how he regrets not capturing a paladin for information while MitD is dragging O'Chul to him through the city.
5. Haley is talking about how Durkon will contact them tomorrow while Xykon is casting a spell that wipes Azure City off the map, most likely hindering magical communications as well.
6. Kubota and Hinjo are both talking about taking back Azure, right as Xykon is "officially taking it off the grid".

What do you think?

Hann
2007-08-28, 04:57 PM
I would call it genius, but I can't have that in the same sentence as OotS because it would be redundant.

rgoodfellow
2007-08-28, 05:00 PM
I would call it genius, but I can't have that in the same sentence as OotS because it would be redundant.

Hann speaks for us all.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-08-28, 05:07 PM
Hann speaks for us all.

I agree 100%.

Gundato
2007-08-28, 05:10 PM
You just now picked up on that? I kind of thought it was obvious.

Ah well, I guess reading comic books makes you more alert for this stuff.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-28, 05:37 PM
though it generally decreases IQ.

Mordokai
2007-08-28, 05:57 PM
Luckily, it can't fell under zero :smallbiggrin:

Arqane
2007-08-28, 06:12 PM
Aww man, they lied to me. I want my money back.

Luckily, it can't fell under zero :smallbiggrin:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-31, 12:35 PM
Dude. Put the quote above your post. Makes more sense that way.

The Hop Goblin
2007-08-31, 02:32 PM
I agree 100%.

So say we all.

Raiser Blade
2007-09-04, 04:09 AM
Umm i thought you werent suposed to just say. "I totally agree with Blah Blah." Please add something to the thread or don't post.

Anyways i'm not sure of what xykon did exactly. The spells total effect waits to be seen.

OCB_Aldren
2007-09-04, 04:27 AM
I am confused on what else besides the original post the strip could be was there SUPOSE to be a hidden meaning? I mean the strip was pretty much exactly what you said... Is there some other interpretation that is beyond me? Don't take this as a flame. It is simply me being confused, a rather regular occurance. Frankly I don't know how I put my socks and underwear on in the morning.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-04, 11:58 AM
I am confused on what else besides the original post the strip could be was there SUPOSE to be a hidden meaning? I mean the strip was pretty much exactly what you said... Is there some other interpretation that is beyond me? Don't take this as a flame. It is simply me being confused, a rather regular occurance. Frankly I don't know how I put my socks and underwear on in the morning.

I was pointing out the irony of what most of the people are saying, like how the OotS is saying everything is going to be fine while there are people plotting to kill them, Redcloak saying he needs a paladin to interrogate while MitD is dragging a helpless paladin through the city, etc. etc. I just thought it was very well done.

RecklessFable
2007-09-04, 01:05 PM
Mod +1 Insightful

I appreaciated the post, I missed a few of them.

Ecalsneerg
2007-09-04, 01:38 PM
I was pointing out the irony of what most of the people are saying, like how the OotS is saying everything is going to be fine while there are people plotting to kill them, Redcloak saying he needs a paladin to interrogate while MitD is dragging a helpless paladin through the city, etc. etc. I just thought it was very well done.

So do I. Although I only just noticed it now.

Tharr
2007-09-04, 07:45 PM
The fact is we are glad Rich took his break.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-09-04, 08:57 PM
That's just what they want you to think.

Dude. Put the quote above your post. Makes more sense that way.

Raroy
2007-09-04, 09:05 PM
We readers who start from the bottom up and read right to left have no such problems with ordering.

Krytha
2007-09-04, 10:22 PM
It was a good comic, but I doubt there was any "hidden genius" qualities to 484. What you saw was what it was.

Icewalker
2007-09-05, 12:38 AM
Very nice, good set of ironic touches working together.

Eldhrin
2007-09-05, 01:21 AM
Sometimes I think it's nice to have these things pointed out in such a clear and straightforward matter. Not everybody is familiar with this sort of storytelling technique.

The Giant clearly is of course. Dramatic irony of this sort is an excellent tool (ask Shakespeare) and a superb choice at this point in time which is clearly the end of the third anthology book but gives us a very clear view that there is still a great deal to be resolved before we even get close to having some sort of epilogue - or even a conclusion.