PDA

View Full Version : malefex input needed

astrerouge
2018-02-26, 10:00 PM
Hi all, recently I stumbled upon this class and wanted to make one for a campain i have soon starting at level two.

I like the idea of debuffing, especially since it would let me be more of a team player, a role i am aiming for since i tend to overshadow others in this group in the past, by accident.

So basically, the game would be a world largest dungeon modified with more loot, teleportation and dimensional travel possible based on sight, starting at level two, with revamped encounter that gives the standard xp but are scaled in consequence (i don't yet know what that means)
The game would be 3,5, but pathfinder and 3rd party accept on a case by case basis ( i already had the class accept but i'm not sure how to build it)

I am building this to be a trapfinder/disabling in part, since we were told to always have 2 character in case one die, to be able to reenter the game sooner and we were advise to make some trapsmith each because traps would be prevalent.

Si i have this to ask, how would you build such a character so that he can reliably find and disarm while helping his teammates in fight with his debuff? Also, what feat and race would you suggest?

btw the stat generation is with rolled dice: 5d6 drop the lowest and reroll all 1
and you can copy the stat array of another player if you wish. And we have feat like in pathfinder, at each 2 level.
link below:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/dreamscarred-press/malefex/

Air0r
2018-02-26, 11:11 PM
tiefling for race, choosing face stealer and sandman's deception for your malefections. Take that one tiefling racial feat that lets you use your darkness spell-like ability more times a day. that is just me though. face stealer is just fun.

Domar
2018-02-27, 12:10 AM
Wis is more important than your attack stat, you get bonuses to attack and damage against cursed targets. If another player plays a Harbinger you'll have fantastic synergy. (They will need the Malevolence feat.)
Dex is better than Str. You want enormous reflex.

Get ability focus to boost your save DCs.

Your first knock should be.
Bitter Experience (Ex)
The malefex adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) as an insight bonus on Disable Device and deals additional damage equal to her class level against flat-footed creatures, as well as creatures she hits with her attacks of opportunity.

The Martial Training feat line will get you maneuvers, I recommend Cursed Razor for curse synergy. Avoid boosts and be sparing with counters, your swift actions are for Malefactions.
Another good option is Spheres of Might if you can swing it. Trade half your feats for a talent progression and your starting profitses for a martial tradition.

Unfortunately social curses like face stealer aren't very useful when dungeon crawling. Get a will save, a fort save and Glued Boots for no save.

astrerouge
2018-02-27, 04:45 AM
bitter experience does seems good, but i would refrain from taking maneuver from cursed razor since my other character (this one being the replacement/backup) is an harbinger xp, thanks for the suggestion on malediction, Domar. Could you guide me to the part of sphere of might about changing half your feats for martial tradition? And what tradition would be good?When i checked sphere of might, nothing really caught my eyes.

Why do you believe that the darkness ability would be useful air0r? wouldn't get in the way of my teammates? And while face stealer seems awesome, i eouldn't use it in world largest dungeon due to the lack of social encouter and roleplay with npc. But yeah tiefling could be a nice race for the class but maybe one with a wis bonus would be better.

Also is there anywhere on the pathfinder website where i could find feat for that class? i doubt that there is none specifically for it

Domar
2018-02-27, 11:34 PM
Here's the info on feat swap for a progression http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/using-spheres-of-might#toc4
Trade half or most of your level feats for 10-15 talents.

Here's the info on Martial Traditions http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/martial-traditions
Trade your starting proficiencies except simple weapons and light armor for a package of 4 talents. Most include some equipment proficiencies.

Here's the Path of War feats http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats/
The Malevolence feat curses creatures you claim and imposes combat maneuver penalties.

If you are allowed flaws use them to grab fundamental feats like combat reflexes, Muscular Reflexes, Combat Sphere Specialization ext.

Barrage & Dual Wielding: Get a pair of guns and make a lot of attacks, the high accuracy of guns and your attack bonuses counteract the attack penalties.

Melee debuffing: Many sphere allow you to attach debuffs to attack actions. Remember you can usually stack effects from multiple sphere on the same attack as long as no more then one uses a special attack action.

Unarmed: The Bare-Knuckle Brawler Knock plus unarmed spheres. The interaction between the sphere unarmed progression http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/using-spheres-of-might#toc22 and Greater Unarmed Strike http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/dreamscarred-press/greater-unarmed-strike-combat/ is undefined. I recommend treating it as a two row drop on the table, if you drop all available talents into unarmed spheres you will be competitive with monk unarmed damage which is reasonable.

Lord_Gareth
2018-02-28, 10:26 AM
They're undefined because they're from different companies my friend. Just straight mixing 3pp without talking out over with your GM is rude.

Air0r
2018-03-01, 02:22 AM
Why do you believe that the darkness ability would be useful air0r? wouldn't get in the way of my teammates? And while face stealer seems awesome, i eouldn't use it in world largest dungeon due to the lack of social encouter and roleplay with npc. But yeah tiefling could be a nice race for the class but maybe one with a wis bonus would be better.

So, this is one of those things where 3.5 and pathfinder differs: how the darkness spell operates. anyone with darkvision can see fine in pathfinder's version of the darkness spell. the trick here is that I don't know what the rest of your party IS. if no one has darkvision, or an item or spell that gives it to them, then disregard. but if much of your party has darkvision, then this ability becomes an amazing combat tactic.

All of that is potentially negated though if you are instead using 3.5 version of darkness, as darkvision cannot see through it (incidentally meaning that you are also blinding yourself when using it)...