PDA

View Full Version : Class specific feats

Theodoxus
2018-02-27, 12:05 AM
I'm developing class specific feats, and I was curious what people thought - not in terms of how they affect the game - I'm balancing more than just these, but in terms of each other. I know they'll never be perfectly balanced, but do you think they're close? Paying particular attention to the prerequisite levels. Also, would you pick these? In my game, feats are granted every odd level, so they're common enough to get the build you want, but they're also in competition with multiclassing... multiclassing requires feats to enter and gain levels in classes.

Anyway, here's my proposal - PEACH.

Armored Hulk
Prerequisite: Barbarian, 5th level; Heavy Armor proficiency
While wearing heavy armor, you retain all your class abilities that normally don't work with heavy armor.

Birthright
Prerequisite: Sorcerer, 5th level
When you roll initiative, you regain half you level in sorcery points (round down).
Sorcerous Restoration now restoras all sorcery points when you roll initiative or take a short rest.

Called by God
Prerequisite: Cleric, 10th level
You double your effective level when using Divine Intervention. At 20th level, you can use Divine Intervention twice, provided you long rest between uses.

Divine Empowerment
Prerequisite: Paladin, 7th level
You gain double the uses of Divine Sense and Lay on Hands per long rest.

Druid's Friend
Prerequisite: Ranger
You gain access to your entire spell list, able to swap out spells on a long rest, like a druid can.

Laughter is the Best Medicine
Prerequisite: Bard, 3rd level
When casting a spell (not cantrip) that either successfully deals psychic damage or incapacitates its target, you regain an expired use of your bardic inspiration.

Meditative Serenity
Prerequisite: Monk, 5th level
When you roll initiative, you regain half your level in Ki (round down).
Perfect Self now restores all Ki when you roll initiative or take a short rest.

Nature's Guardian
Prerequisite: Druid, 3rd level
While wildshaped, if damaged by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to spend a spell slot to form pustules on your body that immediately burst, dealing 2d10 acid or poison damage (your choice each time). Using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher increases the damage by 1d10 per slot level.

Opening the Chaos
Prerequisite: Warlock, 5th level
You gain access to invocations outside of your Pact ability. If you take the Book of Ancient Secrets, it automatically contains Find Familiar as a free gift from your patron. If you don't have Pact of the Blade, any weapon you use becomes your Pact weapon, though you don't gain any other Pact of the Blade abilities.

Paragon of Combat
Prerequisite: Fighter
Your weapon and spell attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. If you later gain an ability, such as the Champion's Improved Critical or Hexblade's Curse, your attacks score a critical on an 18-20; and Superior Critical improves to 17-20.

Thief-Acrobat
Prerequisite: Rogue
A quarterstaff is considered a finesse weapon in your hands, allowing you to use your Dexterity Modifier for attack and damage rolls when wielding a quarterstaff.

While using a quarterstaff in two hands for balance, you automatically pass any Dexterity (Acrobatics)
check requiring balance, such as walking a tightrope or running across ice, that has a DC of 15 or less.

Wizardry
Prerequisite: Wizard, 3rd, 7th, 11th and 15th levels
Upon taking this feat, you gain the second level Arcane Tradition feature of your choice.
You can take this feat multiple times, but only at or after the listed levels in the prerequisites. Doing so grants the next Arcane Tradition feature of the tradition chosen the first time.

Jerrykhor
2018-02-27, 12:39 AM
Nice ideas, though Birthright and Divine Empowerment might be too powerful.

I'd rather Paragon of Combat be a general feat, like Martial Adept. We could certainly use more feats like that.

JNAProductions
2018-02-27, 12:47 AM
Armored Hulk is basically a feat chain-one to get Heavy Armor Proficiency, the other for the feat. Not very good.

Birthright is INSANELY OVERPOWERED. It's Coffeelock on steroids.

Called By God feels fine.

Divine Empowerment is a little much, but considering it's JUST healing (and Divine Sense) it might be okay.

Druid's Friend feels fine.

Laughter feels fine.

Meditative Serenity is way too good as well.

Nature's Guardian should allow a save for half, but otherwise good.

Opening The Chaos probably needs clarifications.

Paragon Of Combat feels fine.

Thief Acrobat feels too weak.

Wizardry is far too good.

Pex
2018-02-27, 01:00 AM
I'm developing class specific feats, and I was curious what people thought - not in terms of how they affect the game - I'm balancing more than just these, but in terms of each other. I know they'll never be perfectly balanced, but do you think they're close? Paying particular attention to the prerequisite levels. Also, would you pick these? In my game, feats are granted every odd level, so they're common enough to get the build you want, but they're also in competition with multiclassing... multiclassing requires feats to enter and gain levels in classes.

Anyway, here's my proposal - PEACH.

Armored Hulk
Prerequisite: Barbarian, 5th level; Heavy Armor proficiency
While wearing heavy armor, you retain all your class abilities that normally don't work with heavy armor.

Since barbarians aren't proficient in heavy armor, either the character spent a feat for it or multiclassed, and if multiclassed the first level was not barbarian. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the other class feats don't need a prerequisite feat or multiclass. A munchkin read of this feat could have someone say they can use Unarmored Defense while wearing heavy armor.

Perhaps change the feat entirely to:

Unarmored Defense now gives you an AC of 12 + your Dexterity modifier + Constitution modifier.
Maybe better to cut down on MAD, the feat changes Unarmored Defense to be 10 + Strength modifier + Constitution modifier.

Birthright
Prerequisite: Sorcerer, 5th level
When you roll initiative, you regain half you level in sorcery points (round down).
Sorcerous Restoration now restoras all sorcery points when you roll initiative or take a short rest.

Be wary of players trying to game the system of always wanting to roll initiative.

Maybe: During a short rest you may regain half your level in sorcery points (round down). You may not use this feat again until you finish a long rest.

Called by God
Prerequisite: Cleric, 10th level
You double your effective level when using Divine Intervention. At 20th level, you can use Divine Intervention twice, provided you long rest between uses.

I don't think it's worth spending a feat on.

Maybe: You may use Channel Divinity one more time per short rest.

Divine Empowerment
Prerequisite: Paladin, 7th level
You gain double the uses of Divine Sense and Lay on Hands per long rest.

Ok. Helps paladin be a more potent back-up healer. Taking a cue from Pathfinder, an alternative idea is for the feat to make using Lay On Hands a bonus action.

Druid's Friend
Prerequisite: Ranger
You gain access to your entire spell list, able to swap out spells on a long rest, like a druid can.

Making Sorcerers cry. Spellcasting is not a major focus on the Ranger to justify an expansive improvement such as this. Give the Ranger two Druid cantrips of his choice and may add his proficiency modifier to Concentration checks.

Laughter is the Best Medicine
Prerequisite: Bard, 3rd level
When casting a spell (not cantrip) that either successfully deals psychic damage or incapacitates its target, you regain an expired use of your bardic inspiration.

Just add two uses to number available.

Meditative Serenity
Prerequisite: Monk, 5th level
When you roll initiative, you regain half your level in Ki (round down).
Perfect Self now restores all Ki when you roll initiative or take a short rest.

As with Sorcerer, on a short rest get back half. Need to finish a long rest to do it again.

Nature's Guardian
While wildshaped, if damaged by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to spend a spell slot to form pustules on your body that immediately burst, dealing 2d10 acid or poison damage (your choice each time). Using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher increases the damage by 1d10 per slot level.

Ok, but feat name doesn't fit. Nature's Spite perhaps.

Opening the Chaos
Prerequisite: Warlock, 5th level
You gain access to invocations outside of your Pact ability. If you take the Book of Ancient Secrets, it automatically contains Find Familiar as a free gift from your patron. If you don't have Pact of the Blade, any weapon you use becomes your Pact weapon, though you don't gain any other Pact of the Blade abilities.

No. It makes player's choice of Pact irrelevant. Giving access to everything is too powerful. Give the warlock one more invocation.

Paragon of Combat
Prerequisite: Fighter
Your weapon and spell attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. If you later gain an ability, such as the Champion's Improved Critical or Hexblade's Curse, your attacks score a critical on an 18-20; and Superior Critical improves to 17-20.

No. Champions gets Improved Critical at 3rd level. You're giving it away with a feat to anyone who even multiclasses. Make the prerequisite 6th level fighter and grant the fighter another Fighting Style.

Thief-Acrobat
A quarterstaff is considered a finesse weapon in your hands, allowing you to use your Dexterity Modifier for attack and damage rolls when wielding a quarterstaff.

While using a quarterstaff in two hands for balance, you automatically pass any Dexterity (Acrobatics)
check requiring balance, such as walking a tightrope or running across ice, that has a DC of 15 or less.

No one will spend a feat to use one weapon. If the rogue cares about Acrobatics he'll improve it with Expertise.

Make it Improved Expertise, Rogue level 4, to allow an addition Skill to benefit from Expertise as well as another one at 6th level.

Wizardry
Prerequisite: Wizard, 3rd, 7th, 11th and 15th levels
Upon taking this feat, you gain the second level Arcane Tradition feature of your choice.
You can take this feat multiple times, but only at or after the listed levels in the prerequisites. Doing so grants the next Arcane Tradition feature of the tradition chosen the first time.

No, same as with warlock. Player choices should matter and not get everything. Instead, give one more Cantrip and improve Arcane Recovery to get back spell levels equal to half level (rounded up) + 1.

My responses in bold.

Angelalex242
2018-02-27, 02:25 AM
Divine Empowerment should improve Divine Sense to be as effective as Detect Evil and Good.

It should also improve Divine Sense to be 'always on.' Permanent radar can be very effective.

The healing boost just takes some load off the cleric. I agree with it making Lay on Hands a bonus action as a good upgrade.

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-27, 03:33 AM
No, same as with warlock. Player choices should matter and not get everything. Instead, give one more Cantrip and improve Arcane Recovery to get back spell levels equal to half level (rounded up) + 1.

My responses in bold.

I agree with most of what you've said, except 1 thing:
Monk already gets back ALL spent Ki points after a Short Rest.
Not sure how to give them something that'll give 'em a boost without overcharging things.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-02-27, 05:22 AM
Not sure how to give them something that'll give 'em a boost without overcharging things.

You add your strength and Dex modifiers when determining damage with monk weapons?

I don't think most monks will have prioritized strength but plus 1-3 damage consistently sounds powerful but not broken; which I think is what the OP is going for.

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-27, 05:30 AM
You add your strength and Dex modifiers when determining damage with monk weapons?

I don't think most monks will have prioritized strength but plus 1-3 damage consistently sounds powerful but not broken; which I think is what the OP is going for.

It'd be something nice, but it would also compound the Monk's innate tendency to be a bit MAD.
You want decent Dex and Wis for armor and DC's, decent Con so you're not a kung-fu fightin' paper napkin, and this would add a desire to pump some Str in there for some added damage.
On top of the Feat/ASI you just spent on unlocking this ability.

AFB right now, but maybe give the Monk Ki points equal to their Wis modifier if they roll Initiative and they're out of Ki?
I'm not sure if they get a feature that gives Ki while empty and getting into a fight. Could make this a bonus on top of that. It's likely not too much, and requires an investment of stat bumps, but it would also let them use some of their fancier things a bit more often.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-02-27, 05:42 AM
It'd be something nice, but it would also compound the Monk's innate tendency to be a bit MAD.
You want decent Dex and Wis for armor and DC's, decent Con so you're not a kung-fu fightin' paper napkin, and this would add a desire to pump some Str in there for some added damage.
On top of the Feat/ASI you just spent on unlocking this ability.

AFB right now, but maybe give the Monk Ki points equal to their Wis modifier if they roll Initiative and they're out of Ki?
I'm not sure if they get a feature that gives Ki while empty and getting into a fight. Could make this a bonus on top of that. It's likely not too much, and requires an investment of stat bumps, but it would also let them use some of their fancier things a bit more often.

Great point about the madness, he does give feats out every other level though so I think the asi vs. feat argument goes out the window for these.

They do get a bonus like that as their capstone.

To me I think the most beneficial thing for most monks would be an effective way to attack at range.

-Astral Projection-
At the beginning of your turn you may spend two ki points to create a semi corporeal version of yourself at any unoccupied point within 60 feet of your body. It may only take the attack action and any bonus attacks you would normally be able to take. You cannot move on this turn.

Nature's Guardian

As a moon druid this seems meh, I have to get hit to use it which sucks because I'm probably concentrating on a spell which means, hello concentration check. Personally for a moon druid something that improved wildshaped AC would catch my interest more. But Land, Shepard, and Dreams would be bored with that.

I think simple but broad would be a great way to go for a druid specific feat. Possible but probably broken ideas.
-steal three spells from any classes spell list these spells now count as druid spells for you. (They still have to be prepared)
-choose four spells from your druid list, these spells are always prepared.
-choose a second level or lower spell, you may cast that spell once per short rest without using a spell slot.
-When you wild shape into a beast two similar creatures of the DMs choosing appear within 5' of you and assist you in battle.

That's all I've got for now, I'm gonna get some sleep.

Theodoxus
2018-02-27, 07:45 AM
Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated. I'd like to point out that characters are technically single classed - and these feats are only for that class. They can use a feat to multiclass into another class, so at 1st level, they could be Fighter 1/Barbarian 1, if they so chose, but gaining only the multiclass proficiencies of barbarian (completely redundant) and the 1st level abilities of the barbarian. Multiclassing is also capped at 6 levels for a secondary class and 3 levels for a tertiary. There's a few other rules around it.

I've changed Birthright and Meditative Serenity to only replenish expired points - so no coffeelocks or super sayan monks...

I agree that Thief-Acrobat is the weakest of the feats. I'll work on boosting that a bit.

The "Hellish Rebuke" druid was the last one I did, I was scraping the barrel - it'll probably get a complete rewrite.

Does the feat cost for wizardry not mollify it's OPness? It limits multiclassing and choosing other support feats...

Edited: Changed Nature's Guardian to Nature's Boon:

Nature's Boon

Dream Druids: Your Balm of the Summer Court pool of fey energy are d10s rather than d6s.

Land Druids: When using Natural Recovery, you restore your level's worth of spell slots, rather than half your level.

Moon Druids: While wildshaped, if damaged by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to spend a spell slot to form pustules on your body that immediately burst. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 2d10 acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher increases the damage by 1d10 per slot level.
If you use this reaction, you have advantage on Concentration checks until the start of your next turn.

Shepherd Druids: You gain a second use of Spirit Totem per short or long rest.

Spore Druids: While using Symbiotic Entity, if damaged by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to also spend a spell slot to form pustules on your body that immediately burst. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 2d10 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher increases the damage by 1d10 per slot level.
If you use this reaction, you have advantage on Concentration checks until the start of your next turn.

(Stealing from Pathfinder) I also changed Thief-Acrobat to be:

Thief-Acrobat

A quarterstaff is considered a finesse weapon in your hands, allowing you to use your Dexterity Modifier for attack and damage rolls when wielding a quarterstaff. Any sneak damage while using a quarterstaff two handed deals d8s instead of d6s.

You gain expertise in acrobatics (or another skill, if you already have expertise in that skill).

Taking Pex's advice:

Called by God
Prerequisite: Cleric, 3rd level

If you use your Channel Divinity to Turn Undead, you regain the use of Channel Divinity the next time you roll initiative.

Starting at 10th level, you double your effective level when using Divine Intervention. At 20th level, you can use Divine Intervention twice, provided you long rest between uses.

Also @ Pex, regarding the Druid's Friend and Rangers, does it help that sorcerers get bonus spells equal to their Charisma as part of their core class change?

Pex
2018-02-27, 09:04 AM

Oops.

Going with my pattern, have the feat give two more ki points perhaps.

Personal bias, even in 3E I'm a fan of feats that give passive boosts, such as Iron Will giving +2 to Will saves, if it's something worth boosting. Others prefer feats that give a new ability or otherwise be active to do something. Passive feats are "boring" to some people, but I don't equate boring to being bad.

Armored Walrus
2018-02-27, 09:15 AM
I like most of Pex' responses. But his suggestion for Divine Empowerment to just make Lay on Hands a bonus seems underpowered to me compared to the rest of the list. Maybe make that a half feat? Give +1 Cha or Con or Str along with it?

Angelalex242
2018-02-27, 09:29 AM
I like most of Pex' responses. But his suggestion for Divine Empowerment to just make Lay on Hands a bonus seems underpowered to me compared to the rest of the list. Maybe make that a half feat? Give +1 Cha or Con or Str along with it?

I still want to see Divine Sense improved to Detect Evil and Good, and then set 'always on.' Like a permanent radar.

1st-level divination
Casting Time:
1 action
Range:
Self
Components:
V, S
Duration:
Concentration, up to 10 minutes
For the duration, you know if there is an aberration, celestial, elemental, fey, fiend, or undead within 30 feet of you, as well as where the creature is located. Similarly, you know if there is a place or object within 30 feet of you that has been magically consecrated or desecrated.
The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

(Divine Sense USUALLY only finds Fiends/Undead/Celestials. This would add aberrations elementals and fey to the sense. The paladin's range is also 60 feet instead of 30, because Divine Sense has a 60 foot range)

Tiadoppler
2018-02-27, 11:05 AM
If you're making new class-specific feats, I'd specify that:

They require a certain level in that class, not a total level. Requirement: 8th level Cleric, not Requirement: Cleric, and Requirement: 8th level character.

Also, I'd choose levels at which those classes gain an ASI/Feat choice. What's the point of letting a third level character qualify for a feat at all? Unless you're a VHuman just starting out (at level 1), you get your first feat at level 4.

Also, I'm not really a fan of these feats. They seem too powerful. My preference for feats is adding small, interesting new capabilities to a character, not straight-up multiplying their power level.

Edit: The above applies only to standard or near-standard D&D5e games. I did not RTFOP, and must therefore hang my head in shame.

Armored Walrus
2018-02-27, 11:14 AM
If you're making new class-specific feats, I'd specify that:

They require a certain level in that class, not a total level. Requirement: 10th level Cleric, not Requirement: Cleric, and Requirement: 10th level character.

Also, I'd choose levels at which those classes gain an ASI/Feat choice. What's the point of letting a third level character qualify for a feat at all? Unless you're a VHuman just starting out (at level 1), you get your first feat at level 4.

Also, I'm not really a fan of these feats. They seem too powerful. My preference for feats is adding small, interesting new capabilities to a character, not straight-up multiplying their power level.

OP's game they get a feat every odd level. So they're going for high-powered anyway. It's why he needs to homebrew feats, I think. They're probably running out. :P

Theodoxus
2018-02-27, 01:05 PM
@ Tiadoppler, class level and character level are the same - you only have 1 class, as I specified above. noting both would be redundant... though if incorporating these into a standard 5E game, that would probably be a good idea.

As for feats... Well, I'm not really running out... here's the list (sans description) of what I'm currently using - with another shout-out to Zman, whose work I shamelessly built this list upon:

1st Level Feats
Brute
Draconic Flight
Large Build
Outdoorsman
Powerful Build

Class Specific Feats
Armored Hulk
Birthright
Called by God
Divine Empowerment
Druid's Friend