PDA

View Full Version : 40k chaplain

enginesoul
2018-02-27, 12:15 AM
So I was reading a book of Warhammer 40k short stories and one of the primary characters was a chaplain. It reminded me how badass 40k chaplains are and how much I'd like to play one in an RPG, which led to 'how would I build one in D&D.'

So, basically a chaplain in 40k is a space marine (genetically/surgically improved human in power armor) who serves as the spiritual leader of a space marine chapter. They promote the teachings of the chapter and veneration of the emperor of mankind. He is typically also filled with hate for the enemies of mankind: aliens, demons, and unsanctioned psykers (magic-users).

Space marines are 7-8 ft tall and powerfully built, so I am leaning toward goliath for race, but could see a using a human.

For class I was first thinking paladin, but could also see fighter, EK, barbarian, or cleric.

Typically they aren't magic-users, but could possibly use magic channeled from the emperor, mostly for hitting things harder. They wear armor, so at least half plate, I think. They don't usually use shields and often dual wield, usually a primary melee and a pistol, but could really use any weapon with a preference for melee. They do each have a crozius (magic mace) as a sign of office.

I'm thinking he is the sole survivor after his unit crashed on this primitive but magically active world. Power armor and equipment are non-functional. Toughest thing may be dealing with the racially diverse and magically active inhabitants.

Any build suggestions? First, I thought paladin (maybe conquest), but chaplains are prone to rage, so maybe barb makes more sense. Anyway, thanks for any input.

Malifice
2018-02-27, 12:25 AM
Heavy armor wearing, crozius smiting, aura granting religious fanatics?

Paladin.

furryblueelf
2018-02-27, 12:57 AM
Goliath Paladin even.

Aelyn
2018-02-27, 03:02 AM
Primary Paladin, no question. Stats go into STR, CHA, CON, WIS, DEX, INT, in that order, spells used are purely buff effects and Smite. Oath of Vengeance and Oath of Conquest both fit.

Some amounts of Barbarian (probably Path of the Zealot) or Fighter (Champion or Battlemaster) do fit too - maybe something like Paladin 12 / Barbarian 4 / Fighter 4? You could drop either 4th dip for Pally 13 if you want Greater Steed or Banishment, both of which at least sort of fit.

Full plate, enchanted if possible, Defense fighting style.

Malifice
2018-02-27, 04:38 AM
Id leave the barb levels for the Blood Angels. Red thirst and all that. Berserker path.

Ditto Space Wolves. Wolf totem. Wulfen are Shifters.

Add some Rogue levels for the Raven Guard. Because: sneaky and hit and run.

The Sallies are all refluffied fire genasi. With levels in Forge Cleric.

The Dark Angels are Vengeance Pallies trying to convince everyone they're Devotion Pallies.

The Iron hands are Warforged.

Silberluchs
2018-02-27, 05:50 AM
Which chapters are the valour bards? I can totally see that work, actually. Dip one level fighter for Con saves, fighting style and heavy armour, and you're totally set for a STR valour bard.

Vaz
2018-02-27, 06:44 AM
Which chapters are the valour bards? I can totally see that work, actually. Dip one level fighter for Con saves, fighting style and heavy armour, and you're totally set for a STR valour bard.

White Scars possibly. They are noted as using Poetry. Bonus Points for picking up Find Greater Steed for a jetbikePegasus is you're wanting to play a 30K era White Scar Chaplain. Could pick up Crown of Stars to give it some twin-linked Bolters as well.

Contrast
2018-02-27, 07:34 AM
I'm thinking he is the sole survivor after his unit crashed on this primitive but magically active world. Power armor and equipment are non-functional. Toughest thing may be dealing with the racially diverse and magically active inhabitants.

So to be clear you want to play an actual real Space Marine chaplain and not just a character inspired by the concept of one?

I'd be very clear that your DM is on board with that concept specifically as it has pretty massive setting and roleplaying implications.

If you're trying to play an actual Space Marine I'd say straight fighter. If you're looking for a more 'inspired by' I'd say paladin.

enginesoul
2018-02-28, 09:38 AM
So to be clear you want to play an actual real Space Marine chaplain and not just a character inspired by the concept of one?

Well somewhere in the middle, I guess. Yes, story wise a real space marine, but functionally toned down. It does have implications for the world, but they can be very minor functionally with potential for storylines in the future if desired. DM is good with it.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like my original idea of Goliath pally was on point, but I like the specific chapter suggestions, too.