PDA

View Full Version : (My Name Is Inigo Montoya) Vanquisher [Base Class]

Lysander
2007-08-28, 05:29 PM
Some people enter fighting for a cause. Others enter fight to slay a specific enemy, one who has wronged them in some way. Rather than become masters at fighting everything these revenge-driven souls practice to overcome a single specific foe.

Alignment:
Any non-chaotic

Hit Die
d8.

Class skills:
Bluff, Climb, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Nobility), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Rope

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier.

{table]Level|Bab|Fort|Will|Dex|Special
1|1|2|2|0|First Nemesis,Track, Hunt You To The Ends Of The Earth
2|2|3|3|0|Purposeful Rage
3|3|3|3|1|Bonus Fighter Feat
4|4|4|4|1|
5|5|4|4|2|Second Nemesis
6|6*1|5|5|2|
7|7*2|5|5|3|Bonus Fighter Feat
8|8*3|6|6|3|Swift Tracker
9|9*4|6|6|4|
10|10*5|7|7|4|Third Nemesis
11|11*6*1|7|7|5|Just Vengeance
12|12*7*2|8|8|5| Bonus Fighter Feat
13|13*8*3|8|8|6|
14|14*9*4|9|9|6|
15|15*10*5|9|9|7 |Fourth Nemesis
16|16*11*6*1|10|10|7|
17|17*12*7*2|10|10|8|Bonus Fighter Feat
18|18*13*8*3|11|11|8|Prepare to Die
19|19*14*9*4|11|11|9|
20|20*15*19*5|12|12|9|Fifth Nemesis[/table]

Nemesis
At 1st level, a ranger may select an archenemy they are sworn to destroy. The Vanquisher gains a +4 bonus on Listen, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against this individual. Likewise, he gets a +4 bonus on weapon damage rolls against this individual, and +4 to will saves against spells cast by this individual.

If the Nemesis has minions, an army of interchangeable servile combatants with similar training, the Vanquisher gets +4 on Listen, Spot, Bluff, Disguise, and Sense Motive checks, as well as +2 to damage against them. This does not apply to allies or mercenaries with their own unique background.

At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the Vanquisher may select an additional Nemesis. Alternatively rather than have a new Nemesis, they can choose to have half of the bonus they would normally get instead added to a previously possessed Nemesis.

If a Nemesis is killed the Vanquisher may select a new Nemesis immediately. A nemesis can otherwise be swapped after one month of preparation, in which the training against the original foe is forgotten.

Hunt You To The Ends of the Earth

Once per day a Vanquisher can add +20 to their roll for any Gather Information Check, or a Survival check for the purposes of tracking. Additionally if they roll a 1 they get to reroll and count that instead.

Purposeful Rage

Once per day per Vanquisher level they may gain +3 temporary hitpoints. These hitpoints last five minutes and can be used in any increment.

Just Vengeance
A Vanquisher's armed or unarmed attacks may count as lawfully aligned.

Prepare to Die
A Nemesis will become frightened and attempt to flee should they fail an intimidate check. If they cannot escape they will often offer the Vanquisher money, power, all that they have and more.

-------

So what do you think?

Arakune
2007-08-28, 05:32 PM
make it a PrC, it hurts to take 20th levels just to kill one particular enemy. Also, you need to correct the tables.

Lysander
2007-08-28, 05:36 PM
It isn't just one particular enemy. 20 levels can give you up to 5 enemies PLUS ALL SIMILAR MINIONS.

For instance if Roy was a Vanquisher he would get bonuses against every goblin or hobgoblin foot soldier in Xykon's employ as well. He could also choose Xykon as one Nemesis and Redcloak as another, and have the bonuses against the hobgoblin armies stack, seeing as they're minions of both.

Fixed the tables too.

blue_fenix
2007-08-28, 05:45 PM
Definitely more appropriate for a PrC, make it either a 10 level PrC with the same features squished down into 10 levels, or a 5 level PrC with similar features where you get one nemesis at level 1, the bonuses/benefits improve over the levels, and then at 5 you can have 2 nemesises. Maybe make the effect on all minions as a capstone ability. Great for campaigns with appropriate BBEG's, but kinda underpowered otherwise.

Base classes should be reserved for something that introduces a major new role, mechanic, or type of person. This is really just a different way of looking at favored enemy. In fact, favored enemy could be one of the prereqs for the PrC. Make it hunter flavored.

Sir Conkey
2007-08-29, 12:08 AM
Prepare to Die
A Nemesis will become frightened and attempt to flee should they fail an intimidate check. If they cannot escape they will often offer the Vanquisher money, power, all that they have and more.

This kinda confuses me, does it only apply if the nemesis tries to make an intimidate check? Because many enimies try to intimidate because they like the power it brings, and if it doesn't work they just kill the guy anyway. I like the concept but implementing it seems kinda risky.

drawingfreak
2007-08-29, 02:20 AM
I propose that Prepare to Die be one of those "under extreme circumstances" kind of abilities.

Say you are under 0 Hit Points. Prepare to Die could allow you to remain conscience, give a bonus to your own Intimidate checks, and maybe cause a Fear-like effect on your target. Of course, to activate said ability you would have to say aloud a line prepared at creation that you swore to say to said opponent should you meet. :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2007-08-29, 07:32 AM
I agree with the above posters that this should be a prestige class. It is quite specific in its purpose, has many dead levels, & seems to be inappropriate flavor-wise to start out with at 1st level.

Also, I think that Prepare to Die needs to be entirely redone. As it is, its a high-level ability with almost no practical use. Its supposed power is pure fluff that a DM could have easily thrown into a campaign's storyline well before this "ability" is gained. As written, I can't see it as having any tangible value whatsoever. Perhaps it could be a standard action that results in an fear effect (Will save to negate, DC = your Charisma score + 10) that effects any Nemesis with 60'. Or an automatic daze effect (no saving throw) to any Nemesis or minion within 30'. Or anything remotely quantifiable in game terms.

Lysander
2007-08-29, 11:21 AM
Prepare to Die is actually a reference to a line in The Princess Bride.

It basically guarantees that your foe will definitely try to run should the Vanquisher attempt to Intimidate and succeed (doesn't have anything to do with the Nemesis intimidating).

skeeter_dan
2007-08-29, 12:28 PM
Prepare to Die is actually a reference to a line in The Princess Bride.

It basically guarantees that your foe will definitely try to run should the Vanquisher attempt to Intimidate and succeed (doesn't have anything to do with the Nemesis intimidating).

The fluff for the ability is all well and good. But it needs more crunch. Is it a fear effect? Supernatural? Is it a straight intimidate check or does the Vanquisher get a bonus? If not, what's the save DC?

I agree with the above posters: this should be a prestige class. Also, I'd like to see the Purposeful Rage ability scale over the course of the class. 3 hit points may be nice for a low-level character, but they're entirely useless later on.

Moff Chumley
2007-08-29, 12:47 PM
As I am not very good at homebrewing or gauging the balance of special abilities, my advice is that full BAB/Six+Int skills/d8 HD/good Fort and Will are slightly overpowered. But then, maybe not. :smallconfused:

blue_fenix
2007-08-29, 12:52 PM
As I am not very good at homebrewing or gauging the balance of special abilities, my advice is that full BAB/Six+Int skills/d8 HD/good Fort and Will are slightly overpowered. But then, maybe not. :smallconfused:

Um... full BAB/Six+Int skills/d8 HD/good Fort and Ref, isn't that Ranger? And Ranger even gets more abilities than this.