PDA

View Full Version : Melee Sorcerer Spell and Tactics Advice

Clone
2018-02-27, 09:26 AM
Hey all!

Currently I'm playing a Stone Sorcerer from the UA in OotA and just reached level 5, but I'm unsure how to be best of use to the party.

While I have been playing and DMing for a while, I've only played under level 5 thus far and don't have much experience with Tier 2 spells and play so I'm requesting help for the steps ahead and any advice from those who have played Gishs or Melee sorcerers in the past.
We rolled stats and I'm sitting on a 18 CON, STR and CHA so I can definitely be in the frontline, but now I've moved from tank to more of a battlemage as we gained a 4th party member. The aim is to be able to either kill or otherwise CC targets before they can get to the backline, all while providing any help to the fighter afterwards.

My spell list from level 4 is:
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Lightning Lure, Mage Hand, Firebolt, Mold Earth
Lvl 1: Shield, Catapult
Lvl 2: Alter Self, Blur, Scorching Ray (changed to magical piercing via DM)
Metamagics: Quicken and Subtle

My plan was to swap out Catapult and grab Tidal Wave then Enhance Ability, allowing for buffing since the bard is more illusion based than buff-based. The Bard may also take Counterspell at level 6 so I was going to take Dispel Magic at 6 also so we can cover our bases.

Any and all information you guys can provide would be great as again I've little to no T2 experience as a player and don't want to make choices I'll be kicking myself over about later.

If it helps people's advice, the party comp is as follows:
Stone Sorcerer S&B (Myself)
Lore Bard (crossbow and spells, focuses on spells like Phantasmal Force)
Archfey Warlock (EBs and mind controlling spells like Phantasmal Force and Crown of Madness)
Battlemaster S&B (uses Shieldmaster feat and prones things to whap)

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help, and please no spoilers for the adventure!