PDA

View Full Version : I just realised something...

JasonDoomsblade
2007-08-28, 06:24 PM
Anyone ever realise that besides the purple lizard incident, V never had a substory arc? It's like V is the Meg of OotS.
That's a Family Guy joke.

basilisk 89
2007-08-28, 07:38 PM
Belkar hasn't had any.

Mr.Ace
2007-08-28, 08:27 PM
What Varsuuvius lacks in substories, s/he makes up with her/his crazy amount of secrets.

The two biggest ones are:

-I mean, for one and the most obvious; what the heck is Varsuuvius's gender?
-Who's s/he married to-is it same-sex marriage?

~Ace

David Argall
2007-08-28, 09:13 PM
While V has not had an extended arc where s/he is the only member around, there have been several lesser arcs of a comic or so in length, and the battle of the gap in the wall can be deemed a V arc. Still, a V story is a future possibility.

bugsysservant
2007-08-28, 09:43 PM
V, like Roy, is supposed to be somewhat normal (besides her/his obvious gender ambiguity). I like to think of V as a touchstone for the insanity of the rest of the characters, much like Jerry in Seinfeld. Without the proper context much of the humor of the strip would fail to function.
I believe that it is for this reason that there have been no major storylines involving V, as there would be no basis of normality upon which to place the humor.

LordVader
2007-08-28, 09:54 PM
This assessment seems mostly correct. A V story arc might be difficult because V doesn't have a whole lot to base one on, as it seems to me most of his/her humor relies on the presence of the other characters. Although in Seinfeld, Jerry does have his own insanity problems, like the episode with Keith Hernandez.:smallbiggrin:

The honest illusionist
2007-08-28, 09:59 PM
It isn't really a major arc but Vaarsuvius has the 'kiss with Belkar' as a running gag. That counts for something, right?

And without Vaarsuvius, who would prepare those Exploding Runes each morning?

Setra
2007-08-28, 11:53 PM
It isn't really a major arc but Vaarsuvius has the 'kiss with Belkar' as a running gag. That counts for something, right?

Curse you!

Damnit, my moniter blew up and I had to buy a new one. Thanks a lot :smallmad:

:smalltongue:

TheGrimace
2007-08-29, 12:36 AM

First of all, I'm skeptical that you're high enough level to cast one of those...
wait a second... you're a commoner aren't you? (shifty eyes)

Anyway... Vaarsuvius acts very similar to my groups wizard...
Doesn't pay attention to the story. Rarely knows whats going on more than who the bad guy is. Yet still blows the enemy to bits with his superior fire-power.

Vaarsuvius can't have a mini-arc, simply because she doesn't care enough about the current arc.

The closest she gets to a mini-arc is buying really cheap potions.

explanetpluto
2007-08-29, 07:43 AM
The V-Belkar conflict was almost one, but it was playing second fiddle to the main story.

NerfTW
2007-08-29, 07:56 AM
What about the lizard-V plotline? That was pretty much focused on V.

Greebo
2007-08-29, 08:23 AM
Anyone ever realise that besides the purple lizard incident, V never had a substory arc? It's like V is the Meg of OotS.

What about the lizard-V plotline? That was pretty much focused on V.

:confused:

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-29, 10:16 AM
:

-I mean, for one and the most obvious; what the heck is Varsuuvius's gender?
-Who's s/he married to-is it same-sex marriage?

The answer to each one of these would drive you mad. MAD!

NerfTW
2007-08-29, 11:27 AM
See, this is why I should always re read the thread each time there's a new post.

Yay, I'm one of THOSE people. :P

The Wanderer
2007-08-29, 11:35 AM
That's a Family Guy joke.

I think V may have such an arc coming up in the future. V's pride has been wounded by the way that his magic let him down in the Azure City battle... it's a harsh reminder that he's nowhere near "Ultimate arcane power". That could easily lead to either a period where V reexamines the quest for that power, (thus giving us all kinds of possible insights into V), or drive him on and renew his ambition, whichc could lead to some interesting things down the road. (Including the theory that some people have that V may turn evil in pursuit of power).

Querzis
2007-08-29, 11:46 AM
V and Belkar are way too one-dimensionnal to have a substory arc. They both dont want to change and woudnt be able to even if they would want to. They have no real secrets (V gender problem doesnt count since its not a secret, he just doesnt realize that people cant tell his gender) so no character developpement is possible. Their backgrounds woudnt be interesting either since Belkar always wanted to kill everybody and V was always just studying magic. The only substory V could have would be about his mate.

2007-08-29, 12:50 PM
What about Durkon? All he got was his little romance with Hilga.

And I guess becoming a bandit leader.

Durkon needs some loving.

David Argall
2007-08-29, 03:06 PM
V and Belkar are way too one-dimensionnal to have a substory arc. ... The only substory V could have would be about his mate.

That is certainly a possible substory, but being one-dimensional is not a limit on having a substory. It gives us less direct hooks, but one hook is all we need to send anybody on any sort of epic quest, much less a substory.
Let's see...what can we come up with...?

V discovers voo-doo dolls and decides she can use them to aid the party. The others of course are more concerned with getting pins stuck in them and refuse his "perfectly reasonable" request for a few hairs, etc. So now she sneaks around trying to get those hairs, a difficult task with Belkar and Roy, not to mention that this has to be a sneaky operation, not something to be done with fireballs. We have a few scenes of her doing a very poor job of sneaking around before he finally gets the hairs needed and makes the dolls, which turn out to work poorly for whatever reason, and then she must go to more trouble to destroy them. As V cries in sorrow over such useful magic being destroyed, our cleric tells him that he hopes she has learned her lesson, to which he responds yes, not that the whole project was unwise, but that some technical detail was wrong.

Gol_Stoan
2007-08-29, 03:13 PM
What about Durkon? All he got was his little romance with Hilga.

And I guess becoming a bandit leader.

Durkon needs some loving.

I am still waiting for Hilgya to show up with their love child. :smalltongue: