PDA

View Full Version : Planar Play: Share Your Adventures!

Bobbyjackcorn
2018-02-27, 01:30 PM
In light of seeing a few other threads relating to planar things in this edition, I figured I'd make a thread where people can freely share their experiences with planar adventures in 5e!
Whether it's stories about being a player or a dm in an adventure that features another plane, campaign ideas involving planes, or simply homebrew settings you've made with interesting additions or changes to the cosmos, I'd love to hear them.:smallbiggrin:

Level2intern
2018-02-27, 01:45 PM
I love planescape and sigil in particular. My play group occasionally takes breaks from our primary campaign. We've done a few low level adventures in sigil navigating the factions. I love the variety of adventure options sigil provides. You can literally jump anywhere you want your story to go without all the cumbersome overland travel. Want an arctic adventure? There's a portal for that. Want to run a portion of tomb of annihilation? Take a portal to a jungle setting. You can do literally anything you want from one convenient hub. Only problem I struggle with is trying not to railroad the party. Too many options can be overwhelming to flesh them all out so my tendency has been to just provide the illusion of choice... not sure I've been successful.

We have also revisited some retired characters from a previous campaign. They are 19th level and could hit epic territory. I find the planes and sigil to be a great setting for high level play. You can throw epicly powerful foes at them without losing a sense of realism. The forces of hell are infinite after all.

Bobbyjackcorn
2018-02-27, 02:05 PM
Only problem I struggle with is trying not to railroad the party. Too many options can be overwhelming to flesh them all out so my tendency has been to just provide the illusion of choice... not sure I've been successful.

In my experience, more open ended games can function as long as you can find what players are drawn to in stories, and provide hooks in a few directions that may capture their interest. Try isolating what they like about quests and adventures, then making a few semi fleshed out plotlines that they can stumble over. As long as you have enough potential material to flesh out the remainder of a session after they get hooked, you can spend the downtime before your *next* session planning out that whole adventure!