PDA

View Full Version : Contingency spell use

Whit
2018-02-27, 02:11 PM
Hopefully this can be answered quick or redirected to a old post answer

You can cast 1 lvl 5 or lower spell with contingency. You cannot add another contingency spell

I would guess the following works best
1. Dispel magic cast at lvl 5 when (certain things happen) can’t move, charmed , etc.

2. Greater invisibility when taking damage

3. Resilient sphere when taking damage or falling or etc

MaxWilson
2018-02-27, 02:18 PM
One good use is "Dimension Door (500' straight up) whenever I say '<your panic phrase here>'."

That way when you need to, you can always get yourself out of a bad situation at no action cost. E.g. party is ambushed by 3 vampires at night, you can Wall of Force on two of the vampires and speak your panic phrase, which (due to Feather Fall) will take you out of melee range for nine rounds so your Wall of Force is not threatened.

Another good use, for warlock 2/wizard X multiclasses, is "Armor of Agathys V whenever I fall below half HP." Pure wizards can do False Life instead of Armor of Agathys, but it's not quite as valuable because it's purely defensive.

For cleric 1/wizard X multiclass, "Cure Wounds V whenever I hit 0 HP" is not bad. It's not quite as good as Death Ward because it doesn't prevent you from being briefly incapacitated and therefore losing concentration, but it will keep you alive and fighting in the face of Tiamat's dragon breath, so it's not bad at all.

Whit
2018-02-27, 04:16 PM
I found this posted and would like opinions on if it’s to broad base for DMs or it’s ok

Cast a level 5 dispel magic when I’m effected
By a spell or other magical effect that afflicts me with the condition blindness, charmed, frightened, paralyzed, restrained, stunned or the spell’s bestow curse, confusion, feeble mind, or magic jar

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-27, 08:51 PM
I found this posted and would like opinions on if it’s to broad base for DMs or it’s ok

By a spell or other magical effect that afflicts me with the condition blindness, charmed, frightened, paralyzed, restrained, stunned or the spell’s bestow curse, confusion, feeble mind, or magic jar
Seems fine, though do realize that the less broad you make the statement, the better the chance something will slip through the cracks. For example, your list wouldn't protect you from the Suggestion spell.

sir_argo
2018-02-28, 01:31 AM
Seems fine, though do realize that the less broad you make the statement, the better the chance something will slip through the cracks. For example, your list wouldn't protect you from the Suggestion spell.

Just add "Suggestion" to the spells iterated at the end of the condition. I actually wrote that condition and wouldn't you know it, for the last few levels of that campaign I never once got hit with any of that. I cast Contingency just once and it lasted until the end :tongue:

Joe dirt
2018-02-28, 03:26 AM
Just add "Suggestion" to the spells iterated at the end of the condition. I actually wrote that condition and wouldn't you know it, for the last few levels of that campaign I never once got hit with any of that. I cast Contingency just once and it lasted until the end :tongue:

Dont forget detect thoughts... it Might be better to word it so that any spell not cast by your allies that effects you triggers the dispell

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-28, 07:56 AM

As a DM, I'd allow that.

When you complain to me that it didn't trigger even when you were subject to those conditions, I'll patiently explain that you were affected by them - not effected. :smallwink: