PDA

View Full Version : Optimisation help; Narrative drives adventure day.

8wGremlin
2018-02-27, 05:58 PM
Various GMs that I play with prefer to have combat encounters only when the plot and the roleplaying demand it. They don't follow the standard adventuring day, and often we are fighting things way above deadly encounters, with multiple targets and boss level adversaries.
It's great, it's fun and it feels right both narratively and for the group.

Now, we're about to start a new game, so I thought, what are the more effective classes given this 1/day uber encounter/ social /puzzles rest of the time type game?

Thoughts?

zinycor
2018-02-27, 06:00 PM
Various GMs that I play with prefer to have combat encounters only when the plot and the roleplaying demand it. They don't follow the standard adventuring day, and often we are fighting things way above deadly encounters, with multiple targets and boss level adversaries.

Now, we're about to start a new game, so I thought, what are the more effective classes given this 1/day uber encounter/ social /puzzles rest of the time type game?

Thoughts?

Wizards, clerics, bards and any class that recharges spells or abilities with long rests. After all, if your group will probably only have a single encounter per day.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-27, 08:57 PM
A Bard is both a long rest full caster and also makes a great skill monkey. Seems perfect for your situation. A Paladin would also be strong, having both a high Cha stat, as well as great bursting damage.

Malifice
2018-02-27, 09:00 PM

Thoughts?

An adventuring day isn't necessarily a day.

It could be a month. Or even a year.

It's just (arbitrary time between long rest resource recovery).

Adventuring 'day' is just how the majority of campaigns run it.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-27, 09:13 PM
Paladin? Paladins nova pretty hard. Monks can be pretty nasty too, if they go all-out with stunning. You guys might consider converting short-rest abilities to long-rest ones (triple uses/day) to help things like Warlock keep up.

Kane0
2018-02-27, 09:52 PM
Paladin? Paladins nova pretty hard. Monks can be pretty nasty too, if they go all-out with stunning. You guys might consider converting short-rest abilities to long-rest ones (triple uses/day) to help things like Warlock keep up.

Pretty much this.

Armored Walrus
2018-02-27, 11:55 PM
Druids do pretty well in this scenario, too. I'd go Land in this instance, or one of the new circles, maybe. Haven't got a handle yet on what they're all about.