PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Hybrid/Prestige Feats

NecroDancer
2018-02-27, 05:58 PM
So although 5e does not have prestige classes I still feel like it would be nice for multiclasses to be able to benefit from a unique feat.

Here is some examples of what I mean

Divine Spellbook
Prerequisite: you must be able to use Channel Divinity and use a Spellbook.

When you cast a spell you may use Channel Divinity to change half the spells damage to radiant damage.

Unseen Predation
Prerequisite: you must be able to use Wild Shape and Sneak Attack

While in Wild Shape you may use your Sneak Attack ability with the attacks given to you by Wild Shape. Damage dealt by your Sneak Attack while in Wild Shape is halved.

Witch's Smite
Prerequisite: You must have access to the Divine Smite and Pact Magic abilities.

When you use Divine Smite you may spend a Pact Magic spell slot in addition to the Spell Slot used for Divine Smite, if you hit the Divine Smite damage becomes psychic damage and the target is Frightened until the start of their next turn.

So do you think feats like these would be a good addition to 5e? Keep in mind that these feats are meant as examples and are in no way balanced, this is just me rambling.

Tiadoppler
2018-02-27, 08:29 PM
I kind of like the high concept, but I'm worried that it could easily make 1 level dips into multiple classes even more powerful and frontloaded than they already are. Maybe requiring 4 levels in each class, or more?

Maybe it's just my personal playstyle, but I prefer to see multiclassed players use numbers like 14/6 or 12/8 rather than 17/2/1 or 16/1/1/1/1. When I see a player switch classes for a specific metagame reason (to pick up a mechanical benefit that peaks utility at level 2 in a certain class), instead of an in-character reason (I'm tired of hanging out in back, seeing my friends get hurt. I'll learn to use a sword and help protect them for a change!) it annoys me to some extent.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-27, 10:03 PM
It's not a bad idea. 3.5 did something similar late in the product life, with feats like Swift Hunter letting you advance class features from one class with levels in another. Given how scaling type stuff usually works in 5e, though, I'd say Unseen Predation is closest to the mark-- rather than a flat buff, it's letting two normally incompatible abilities work together, in a way that's easy to control.