PDA

View Full Version : Warlord type character help!

GreyBlack
2018-02-27, 09:07 PM
Greetings playground! So I'm currently engaged in a campaign and, after some political machinations and behind the scenes chicanery, my character has become a regional Lord. The idea right now is that my character has outleveled the current set of adventures so to write my character out, I bought some land and founded a small city for myself.

In doing that my DM is allowing me to recruit a champion for my cause. I'm considering a Bard/Fighter to create a Warlord type character, but I'm having some trouble with the build. Does anyone have any recommendations for a character like this?

A Fat Dragon
2018-02-27, 09:21 PM
Bard and Fighter would be a pretty solid idea for the feel I’m guessing you want. I’m guessing you’ll choose Valor Bard, and for the Fighter, my choice would be Purple Dragon Knight (Even though it is bad, it fits thematically, and have some Okay abilities). However, Battlemaster, Cavalier, and possibly Brute (If you’re looking to have a bit of damage and some more defense, this is a solid and simple option if your DM allows it) might even fit. (Brute is just my favorite Fighter Subclass, as it really is just a blank slate to build whatever you truly want off of).

I’d say put a majority of your points into Fighter. If you can, put at least 5 levels into Bard, and the rest into Fighter, but even only going 3 levels could work. As you’ll be using your Bardic Inspiration as a BA, it’d be best to use a weapon and shield, or a Two-Handed Weapon, but a Sword and Shield would be more fitting, and work well as long as you have Warcaster. For spells, I would take as many healing spells as possible, and when you’ve taken those, pick up utility spells that are generally useful, in combat and out of combat. Most of your damage will come from your weapons, so keep that in mind. Skills won’t be too big of an issue, but make sure to have some proficiency in Charisma, as it makes sense for a Warlord-type characater to be both intimidating and persuasive. For Expertise, I’d say Athletics, Acrobatics, Insight, Perception, Intimidation, and Deception, depending on which of those you prefer or find most commonly.

GreyBlack
2018-02-27, 11:39 PM
Bard and Fighter would be a pretty solid idea for the feel I’m guessing you want. I’m guessing you’ll choose Valor Bard, and for the Fighter, my choice would be Purple Dragon Knight (Even though it is bad, it fits thematically, and have some Okay abilities). However, Battlemaster, Cavalier, and possibly Brute (If you’re looking to have a bit of damage and some more defense, this is a solid and simple option if your DM allows it) might even fit. (Brute is just my favorite Fighter Subclass, as it really is just a blank slate to build whatever you truly want off of).

I’d say put a majority of your points into Fighter. If you can, put at least 5 levels into Bard, and the rest into Fighter, but even only going 3 levels could work. As you’ll be using your Bardic Inspiration as a BA, it’d be best to use a weapon and shield, or a Two-Handed Weapon, but a Sword and Shield would be more fitting, and work well as long as you have Warcaster. For spells, I would take as many healing spells as possible, and when you’ve taken those, pick up utility spells that are generally useful, in combat and out of combat. Most of your damage will come from your weapons, so keep that in mind. Skills won’t be too big of an issue, but make sure to have some proficiency in Charisma, as it makes sense for a Warlord-type characater to be both intimidating and persuasive. For Expertise, I’d say Athletics, Acrobatics, Insight, Perception, Intimidation, and Deception, depending on which of those you prefer or find most commonly.

You're absolutely correct on the feel I'm trying to evoke. However, I'm somewhat intrigued as to whether or not going with Eldritch Knight would work mechanically. It's somewhat off theme but it does keep the spellcasting and encourages a more intelligence based fighter which fits the tactician element I'm trying to evoke.

If you haven't noticed, I'm not really trying to mechanically power game here. XD

Arkhios
2018-02-27, 11:45 PM
Is homebrew allowed? If so, I have homebrewed Warlord based on Battle Master Fighter/Valor Bard combination (you can find link to it in my signature).

If not, Battle Master 3+/Valor Bard 5+ is a good starting point for creating a Warlord.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-28, 12:23 AM
You're absolutely correct on the feel I'm trying to evoke. However, I'm somewhat intrigued as to whether or not going with Eldritch Knight would work mechanically. It's somewhat off theme but it does keep the spellcasting and encourages a more intelligence based fighter which fits the tactician element I'm trying to evoke.

If you haven't noticed, I'm not really trying to mechanically power game here. XD
Going Eldritch Knight isn't a terrible idea, and as long as you stick to multiclassing out of/into it every three levels (they are a 1/3 caster), you'll actually reduce the impact on your spell slots from not being a full bard. I would probably go EK 3, 6, or 12.

Iados
2018-02-28, 08:58 AM
Is homebrew allowed? If so, I have homebrewed Warlord based on Battle Master Fighter/Valor Bard combination (you can find link to it in my signature).

If not, Battle Master 3+/Valor Bard 5+ is a good starting point for creating a Warlord.

Arkhios beat me to it. Battle Master + Valor Bard = Warlord. Picking up Commander's Strike is a must, and it combos really nicely with a Rogue's Sneak Attack.

Citan
2018-02-28, 03:32 PM
Greetings playground! So I'm currently engaged in a campaign and, after some political machinations and behind the scenes chicanery, my character has become a regional Lord. The idea right now is that my character has outleveled the current set of adventures so to write my character out, I bought some land and founded a small city for myself.

In doing that my DM is allowing me to recruit a champion for my cause. I'm considering a Bard/Fighter to create a Warlord type character, but I'm having some trouble with the build. Does anyone have any recommendations for a character like this?
Hi!

I'm a bit lazy tonight (and honestly very bad internet connection), so I'll just suggest you use the search tool to look for posts by me in threads having "Warlord" in their title.

You should find a handful of threads in which many people provided leads on how to build a Warlod, myself included. ;)

Have fun!

Zene
2018-03-01, 01:03 AM
What level?

GreyBlack
2018-03-01, 04:11 AM
What level?

Starting from level 1. Obviously, this is something that my character will have to grow into.

Arkhios
2018-03-01, 05:07 AM
Starting from level 1. Obviously, this is something that my character will have to grow into.

So, is homebrew on the table or out? Tell you what, I'll send you a PM in a bit, if you're interested in the Warlord I made. From what I've gathered around here, people have really liked it. I don't mean to sound complacent; I'm just proud of it (and the feedback I've received). :smallsmile:

Citan
2018-03-01, 08:31 AM
Hi again!

In case Arkhios's homebrew is not fitting for whatever reason, I advise you to read this post of mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21877242&postcount=16) and the posts it links to also.

Should take you no more than ~5mn and give you a pretty extensive view of available options (barring those from Xanathars which wasn't out at the time).

Good build ;)

GreyBlack
2018-03-01, 09:15 AM
So, is homebrew on the table or out? Tell you what, I'll send you a PM in a bit, if you're interested in the Warlord I made. From what I've gathered around here, people have really liked it. I don't mean to sound complacent; I'm just proud of it (and the feedback I've received). :smallsmile:

Yeah, sorry I haven't really addressed that. Homebrew is unfortunately off the table, so I've been working to try and mesh it together myself. I have an _okay_ homebrew worked out but really nothing I'm 100% comfortable with yet.