PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 3rd: Linked effects and Weaken

Katrina
2018-02-27, 11:28 PM
I built a wizard hero with a sort of force dampening defensive spell. It is started as follows. My question is how would it interact with a Weaken Protection because it is linked.

Eldritch Shield
Enhanced Parry Rank 8. Action: standard. Duration: Continuous. Range Self.
Enhanced Dodge Rank 8. Action: Standard. Duration: Continuous. Range Self.
Protection Rank 8. Action: standard. Duration: Continuous. Range: Self.
Descriptors: Magic, Force Dampening.

Quellian-dyrae
2018-02-28, 03:25 AM
Weaken Protection would lower the Protection rank, because that's all it's weakening. The Dodge and Parry would be unaffected. In the odd case that the power is off when you are affected by a Weaken Protection, and it lowers the Protection's rank to 0, it would be reasonable to say you can't activate it because the Enhanced Dodge and Parry have Linked to the Protection, and you no longer have the Protection effect available, although it'd be a GM call; just as reasonable to say that since that power is gone the Linked Extra for it is gone and as such doesn't inhibit the other powers, or that the power is still there and usable but being rank 0 it would have no effect. Either way, it only matters if the powers are off. If they're already on, you've already used them, so the Enhanced Dodge and Parry remain active using their normal duration even if the Protection is Weakened to 0 ranks. That all being said, you're fairly unlikely to ever come up against Weaken Protection; Weaken Toughness would be more likely, which would lower your Toughness stat directly and not affect the power itself at all.

Nullify (or the Counter action) is more likely to have interactions. I don't believe there's any official rule on whether a Counter negates all Linked effects or just one, so it'd be a GM call (although Nullify negating all Linked powers if it affects any probably makes the most sense in most cases).

Katrina
2018-02-28, 08:00 PM
Okay. Yeah, obviously Weaken Magic or Nullify Magic is gonna hit it all, but that just makes sense. I didn't know how the interactions would work out because Linked powers have their point costs totaled.