PDA

View Full Version : At Will Divinations

Yogibear41
2018-02-28, 12:34 AM
You Your Dnd Character can cast one 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level divination spells as Spell-like abilities at will, you may choose the spell off any spell list, what three spells do you choose, and why?

Matrota
2018-02-28, 01:27 AM
Going by core, I'd choose Identify, Augury, and Scrying (bard 3). Identify because it requires 100 gp to cast, and an at-will spell-like costs nothing, therefore saving me money. It's also just a really useful spell. Augury at-will so I can pester the DM on what decisions would be good or bad to make while doing stuff like dungeon crawls. Also skips the (rather inexpensive) material component for that spell as well. And I believe scrying is rather self-explanatory.

Cruiser1
2018-02-28, 01:38 AM
You can cast one 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level divination spells as Spell-like abilities at will, you may choose the spell off any spell list, what three spells do you choose, and why?
Assuming this is in real life and not some addition granted to my D&D character, I choose:

1: Scholar's Touch (RoD): Because reading books instantaneously is very useful in real life.
2: Guidance of the Avatar (Web), or if Web sources aren't allowed Divine Insight (CAdv): Because a +20 or +5 bonus to any skill check is extremely useful throughout the day.
3: Divination (Oracle domain): Getting accurate useful advice for anything 70% of the time is also super significant.

Yogibear41
2018-02-28, 01:43 AM
It would be an addition to an actual dnd character sorry, found some nifty 3rd party feats that basically let you do what I mentioned.

Troacctid
2018-02-28, 01:43 AM
Do you mean me, or my character? I'm going to assume you mean me IRL, and also that sneaking spells off of the Trapsmith list or whatever is not kosher.

I'd take Scholar's Touch, Spontaneous Search, and Divine Insight. Scholar's Touch to instantly read through a bunch of textbooks seems too good. Spontaneous Search is IMO even better than Locate Object for finding things. And Divine Insight just makes me better at literally everything I do, so that's clearly great. Honorable mention to Vigilant Slumber for the flawless alarm clock that allows you to awaken fully alert and ready for action at whatever time you specify, and Tongues to be the ultimate polyglot.

If it's for a D&D character, then I dunno.

Thurbane
2018-02-28, 04:06 PM
Detect Thoughts (Truth 1)
Guidance of the Avatar (Cleric 2)
Scrying (Emissary of Barachiel 3)

The Viscount
2018-02-28, 09:43 PM
Cleric 1 Detect Fire (despite the name detects all living creatures if they are not (Cold))
Bard 2 Tactical Precision (gives 1d6 of sort of sneak attack to the party)
Sor/Wiz 3 Enduring Scrutiny (know when the target does a specific action at long duration with no limit on distance and no save)

ericgrau
2018-02-28, 11:43 PM
If it's spammable then augury 100%. 20 100 questions the answer to everything. I wouldn't pick something like identify because you only find so many magic items so it's severely limited.

On that note I see someone spamming guidance of the avatar over and over again on 1-9 different skills to keep the +20 up all day. Though as awesome as a +20 is you'd want to plan around which skills you want to get the most use out of it. For example if UMD you pile up the scrolls and wands. If tumble you pick up speed boosters. And plan 10 alternates in case you want some knowledges or something for a certain dungeon.

PacMan2247
2018-03-01, 07:50 PM
I don't really have anything more constructive than what's already been suggested for the first two, but for a level 3, I like unluck. It can go an awful long way to removing something as a threat while keeping it as a potential source of information/amusement.